RC Competitor

FLM / HB Diffs / Traxxas CVDs

I am about to go all FLM on my E-maxx and I have a question that I hope you guys can help me with.

I'm getting the hybrid bulkheads and I was going to use the Hot Bodies Lightning 1/8 diffs. On closer inspection, i see that the HB diff uses cups. I really really like the look of the Traxxas CVD for the centers and for the wheels, but they use the set screw style connection.

I was wondering if i should just let go of the Traxxas CVD love or should I find another Diff that will accept them, OR is there a way to swap out the cups for a shaft that will fit the CVD?

Thanks a lot.

RC Qualifier
    the HB diff use output drive cup and its to short so you need to open the HB diff and replace the drive cup.
    ======

here is my way to avoid this problem:
    I used Traxxas CVD with FLM and Hot Bodies Lightning 1/8 diffs.
    I just cut the thread from the Traxxas Stub Axle Steel Revo and replaced the HB diff output drive cup with it.
    MMM 2x3s medusa 70-2300 | MMM 2sx3s 1515 1y

RC Qualifier
    Like q8-maxx said, I'm in the process of doing just that. Got the threads cut off today so when I get time I'm going to be installing the hybrids, HB Diffs and CVD's, although probalby wont be for a few weeks yet.

You can buy output shafts from RCMonster but from everyone I have been talking to the Revo Stub will do the same job.
    KD 700-HO 3905 - FLM E-Maxx MMM - ERBE - Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys, that's just what i was looking for.

the 13t pinion (HBC8030) that comes with the HB diff... will that mount up with the center CVD from traxxas?

or do i need to plan for a replacement? and what...

thanks again

RC Qualifier
    I'm not sure, I use the FLM dogbones I got with the Chassis and I have an 8mm output cup for the pinion.

I'd imagine if the 13t pinion fits into the half CVD's it'll fit the center ones. Do you have the half ones to compare?

RC Competitor
    The stock pinion is only 6mm.

so I guess i would need to open up the center CVD to 8mm.

I might go with the dog bones... but I would like to try and make those centers work

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm, Have you tried doing a search? I know it has been discussed here before but cant remember what thread it was.

Maybe Popoxx might know?? Or look through other FLM Build threads on here, Or over on the RC Monster forum, suicideneil is very good.

RC Qualifier
    you have to use 8mm joint. I use this Hot Bodies Output Joint Lightning Series
    you need 2 not one

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by q8-maxx
    you have to use 8mm joint. I use this Hot Bodies Output Joint Lightning Series
    you need 2 not one

But I dont think the center CVD connects via a Cup, if they are like the half shafts they connect via a shaft. I think thats what he was asking, if the 13t would fit the center CVD.

RC Qualifier
    if you talking about the Traxxas Driveshafts Center E-Maxx it has 2 side one of them has a bone that connect to the cup.
    so the side that has a bone will connect to the Hot Bodies Output Joint Lightning and the other side will connect to the shaft that come from tranny and has 6mm size
    Last edited by q8-maxx; 11-28-2009 at 02:06 PM.