RC poster

5.5T ezrun on 3s lipo

hello , is anybody try-on put 5.5T 60A Ezrun combo on s3 LiPo ?
    rpm ~ 66-67000

RC Champion
    I've been wanting to. I have the 5.5 and the 8.5 but only run the 8.5 now. Want to try my 5.5 on 3s but I know I'll probably only get 1 run in with it. Sadly these ezrun motors just can't perform as good as mambas and the velineon. They cog way to easily when placed under any extra force. My 8.5 is geared 19/86 and runs fine on 2s but cogs like crazy when trying to take off with a 3s. Have to feather the throttle to get up to speed. My 5.5 also did the same till I finally ran it with only 13/90 gearing.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

RC Qualifier
    dont think so, most people (including me) run a 8.5t on 2s (16/86).
    GARAGE
    e-revo, ME-revo, micro-t, slash, DX3S

RC Champion
    Also the 5.5t is at it's rev limit on 2s. 3s it will more than likely fail. It's not meant to handle that high of RPM. Also, the 5.5 6000kv is identical on 2s to the 8.5t 4000kv on 3s. 44,400 off the top if my head I think.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RByers8252
    I've been wanting to. I have the 5.5 and the 8.5 but only run the 8.5 now. Want to try my 5.5 on 3s but I know I'll probably only get 1 run in with it. Sadly these ezrun motors just can't perform as good as mambas and the velineon. They cog way to easily when placed under any extra force. My 8.5 is geared 19/86 and runs fine on 2s but cogs like crazy when trying to take off with a 3s. Have to feather the throttle to get up to speed. My 5.5 also did the same till I finally ran it with only 13/90 gearing.
    yes this is true they do cog. but i think you may be running it with a little to high gearing. i run 10/54 (32 pitch) which is around 16/86.
    GARAGE

RC Champion
    I know my gearing is too high for 3s bur I normally run 2s so 19/86, actually 13/56 in 32p but try not to confuse people lol. It works great on 2s with good top end and wheelies still on demand. No problem with temps either. Also it is cold now here in Indiana so that also helps.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    Also the 5.5t is at it's rev limit on 2s. 3s it will more than likely fail. It's not meant to handle that high of RPM. Also, the 5.5 6000kv is identical on 2s to the 8.5t 4000kv on 3s. 44,400 off the top if my head I think.
    also true... this thread has brought all the BL boffins out of the wood work.. lol
    GARAGE

RC poster
    I forgot to mention that i will use only for short speed run with 16/90 gearing

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by concreat
    i run 10/54 (32 pitch) which is around 16/86.
    Sorry by the off topic

Concreat, can u use the cover with this gearing??

RC Racer
    Sound strange guys, I too run the EZRun 8.5t on 3S 20C with the gearing 19/86. No problem flooring it apart from the wheelies och just flat-out spin.
    Seems like some has this issue, and some donīt.
    I do not know if it makes any diffrence that I am running the 80amp ESC and not the 60amp...
    Powerhouse Sweden
    Villain IV with Octura 447

RC Champion
    Weird Powerhouse. Maybe the motor draws more amps then I though than. Still the 60a esc should be able to burst to handle it. Who knows. I run the same batteries as you but on 3s if I floor it on dry pavement it cogs like crazy but get it moving then punch it, it will fly. I am running Proline Mashers all around so maybe the traction those give is more?
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by joaomedina
    Sorry by the off topic

Concreat, can u use the cover with this gearing??
    no with 32 pitch you cant get the gear cover on, ive just converted mine, im running an ezrun 8.5t and a 60amp esc, my gearing in 32 pitch is 14/58 and seems good to me, although im still in the stone ages with my nimhs, but they are 8.4v 5000mah intellects and im quite happy with how it goes.

3S on 5.5T, that's 66,600 rpm..... your truck can fly.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tamiya monkey
    no with 32 pitch you cant get the gear cover on, ive just converted mine, im running an ezrun 8.5t and a 60amp esc, my gearing in 32 pitch is 14/58 and seems good to me, although im still in the stone ages with my nimhs, but they are 8.4v 5000mah intellects and im quite happy with how it goes.
    yes true but with 32 pitch there is not need to run a cover.

just to prove my point , these are some car that don't use covers.

- revo
    - savage
    - aftershock
    - 4tec
    GARAGE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Crazy
    3S on 5.5T, that's 66,600 rpm..... your truck can fly.
    yer, but by the time you gear it down enough so that it doesn't overheat like a #%^*@, it will be going around the same as on 2s.
    GARAGE

RC Champion
    Problem is it's already hard enough (impossible) to keep the 5.5t temps low anyways. Before I got my 8.5t I was geared 9/56 to keep my motor under 150 degrees f. So therefore you cant gear it for 3s use. Let alone the bearing will fail, or shaft will snap at those RPMs, it would only be a one time thing for a speed run. If you really wanted to have a motor that fast you would be better off with either a Mamba Max 4600kv( I think) or they have even higher up to 9000kv. Or idea to actually be able to make use of power would be a Monster Mamba Max 2200 on 6s lipo or the 2600 on 4s. A MMM with over 15 volts of power will be more power than you coils ever possibly make use of. I know only a few have done this but I would bet the truck would take off for flight from a stand still. And setup perfectly with LCG and some better aerodynamics they could probably get the Slash to 100mph+ if someone had the time and money to do the project.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL

RC Racer
    Weird Powerhouse. Maybe the motor draws more amps then I though than. Still the 60a esc should be able to burst to handle it. Who knows. I run the same batteries as you but on 3s if I floor it on dry pavement it cogs like crazy but get it moving then punch it, it will fly. I am running Proline Mashers all around so maybe the traction those give is more?
    Indeed it is strange, a friend of mine is running his 8.5t with the 35a esc with 2s with gearing 18/90 and that works out...even with paddles.

I came to think of one thing, my punchlevel is set fairly low (low output that is) to save the mechanism, that could be a reason why mine is not cogging?
    I will put it to max next time just to see
    Powerhouse Sweden
    Villain IV with Octura 447

RC Champion
    I run mine on atleast 7 or higher. I've heard if you set it much lower than factory the ezrun escs will have problems and possibly even go up in smoke b
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL

RC Competitor
    Hello i have 2 slash , 1with 9T EZRUN 60A ESC 23/86
    ands 1 with 5.5T EZRUN 60 ESC 18/86
    Running 2S

I have no coging at all i ordered a 21 pinion to put on the 5.5T because right now the max speed is not much diferent to make a diference 2/MPH with the 21 it will give me +8/MPH
    I ll let you know when it s on if it s working fine.

RC Qualifier
    Somewhere between Nitropia and Electropia.
    What version of EZRUN ESC do you have there? My first EZRUN was version 1.0, after almost a year of usage it started to cog really bad and finally became a permanent residence of my dust bin, the motor still ok though. Then I bought this version 2.0, I think they did some refinements on this version. No more cogging until now....
    Last edited by dirtworks; 12-09-2009 at 04:28 AM.
    Been There Done That....