Thread: Knife help

RC Qualifier

Knife help

Ok guys,
    I'm looking for a new pocket knife. Something around 4inches long and like an inch wide. I don't know a lot about knife that why I'm asking for help. I had a nice one but it got stolen out of my truck. It was given to me by a friend.

Also I'll be starting to hunt next year and I know I'm going to need a good buck knife( Think that what it called) for gutting deer. Any sugestion on what to get would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly feel free to post pics of you knives.

Thanks
    Doug
    Team Losi, Family Hobbies, Mels shells!!

RC Qualifier
    for a pocket knife, id recommend one of these to anybody ive had one forever now and put it through you know what and its still great
    Poohbear72

RC Qualifier
    Last edited by Beast Machine; 12-06-2009 at 09:38 PM.
    My Roller will never be complete.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast Machine
    WOW.........but only 2 of them have gut hooks? We would never buy a hunting knife without a gut hook.
    406 Powered 1962 Chevy Biscayne

RC Qualifier
    I would highly recommend visiting local places and looking at some knives first hand. Usually you can get some good advice and you can 'play' with the knives first hand. I've been shopping before and saw knives that looked great but I wasn't impressed at all with their feel or operation (opening/closing/etc).

Just a thought.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleGreen
    I would highly recommend visiting local places and looking at some knives first hand. Usually you can get some good advice and you can 'play' with the knives first hand. I've been shopping before and saw knives that looked great but I wasn't impressed at all with their feel or operation (opening/closing/etc).

Just a thought.
    I was going to shop around first. I can't order anything off the web because they will not ship a knife to Nj. I'm glad I got a property in pa.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by welderguy92
    Ok guys,

Also I'll be starting to hunt next year and I know I'm going to need a good buck knife( Think that what it called) for gutting deer.
    Buck Knives makes some good knives. For hunting I would highly recommend a fixed blade drop point with a serration. It will be a lot stronger. For a utility knife, gerber makes some affordable folding knifes.

Quote Originally Posted by 62biscayne
    WOW.........but only 2 of them have gut hooks? We would never buy a hunting knife without a gut hook.
    Gut hooks are overrated frills.
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Get a good Leatherman. I don't know if you just want a dedicated single blade pocket knife, but I suggest a multi-tool. And don't settle. Get a legit Leatherman. I have the Leatherman Surge, and it was the best tool investment I ever made.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Champion
    I like my swiss knife its a multi tool

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    I have one like this.
    I really like it so far, and hasn't given me any problems *knock on wood*. A buddy of mine used it to skin a deer, and was perfect. I got it at Wal-Mart, in the hunting section. It is a bit bulky, but it's worth having something fit to get the job done quick. I sell christmas trees, and it's great for cutting thick rope. I also was doing a bit of woodwork with it tonight, just messing around with a piece of a stick and it was a great knife to do so. If you want a smaller one, I would go with swiss army. They have small knives, with a lot of tools compacted into one knive.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Qualifier
    get a bowie knife...

RC Champion
    Haven't you seen cutlery corner with where the host Tom O' Dell sells you like 500 knives for rock bottom prices?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    Get a good Leatherman. I don't know if you just want a dedicated single blade pocket knife, but I suggest a multi-tool. And don't settle. Get a legit Leatherman. I have the Leatherman Surge, and it was the best tool investment I ever made.
    I don't find my self needing a multi tool one because when i'm working I have all the tools I need. I'm just looking for a singal blade knife to use around the farm and house. to open bails of hay, straw and other odds and ends.

RC Qualifier
    One of my favorite knives is Gerber. Walmart carries some, but Outdoor World and Gander MTN. has a wider selection. I also like the weight of the remmington.
    TEAM RCA
    VXL 3S Venom Powered Monster Pede.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For work, I have liked my Case Sod buster since the day I bought it. But it does not meet your size requirements and I don't think it would be good for hunting.

http://www.wrcase.com/knives/search/...'0095'
    Those who throw dirt are bound to lose ground.

RC poster
    as Rumblebee and cuda_tmaxx said Gerber knives are GREAT! I've had one for about 2 years, DEPENDABLE! also look at Kershaw knives. I have a Swiss army knife my grandfather bought me when he and my grandmother went to Switzerland, 11 years ago! I barely ever use it, but it is a very good knife

RC Qualifier
    For the pocket knife, I too would recommend a Gerber. I got one four years ago as a present, and it's been great. I'm still impressed with it. Other people have talked about multi-tools, I also prefer Gerber for multi-tools than Leatherman.

Fred

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info guys! I got 2 knives as of now. A pocket knife and buck knife.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    And a nerf gun.......

What brand and model knives did you get?
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Champion
    I suggest you go to your kitchen and get the biggest steak knife.

jk
    You can only have 2
    Cheap-Performance-Reliability

RC Champion
    Here's my knife, would recommend it to anybody. Link
    Racehorse duct taped to a scud missile fast.

RC Qualifier
    i am the most modest man, thats why im better

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy92
    I like that one. What brand is it???
    JATO 3.3
    Stampede Build
    DeWalt 12v E-REVO on 4s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda_tmaxx
    And a nerf gun.......

What brand and model knives did you get?
    I have no cule on a make or model, I was at a budy of mine and said to him about going to gun/ kinfe shop to find a good one. He said here I don't use these and there taking up space in my gun cabnet. I got them for free.

RC Racer
    Personally i would stay away from gerber. I have bought and returned those knives becuase i wasnt impressed with there build quality at all. But then again thats coming from a guy who likes expensive knives. I would highly recommend the benchmite 310 ($120) which is discontinued or it twin brother (still in production) the benchmite II ($30ish) made by benchmade. Great knives. The 310 is all around lighter and made of better materials but about 3 times the price of the benchmite II. I also have a Kershaw Onion/Centofante edition which is also great and runs around $25 to $30. I never liked to buying cheap knives becuase i never found them to hold an edge well enough or work smoothly enough. I buy something thats a physically appealling to the eye and made to last. My benchmite 310 has been by my side for the last 5 years and still works great. Just needs to be sharpened once in a while. Like anything though it all depends how far into the hobby you want to dive.