RC Racer

Back slash.. to monster slash

I need you guys to either tell me "yes you'll be more happy" or "no that's dumb dont do it".

Currently back slash lcg chassis. 4s. 1/8 buggy tires. I do alot of construction site running. So it's pretty bumpy.

I want to convert it to HCG slash with the proline trenchers. I'm assuming you guys use the 3.8 17mm trenchers?

Am I wasting my time and money?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Why the HCG conversion? There are some benefits, but a lot of people convert HCG to LCG is why I ask.
    17mm definitely gives you more options, but you could get trenchers or bandlands in 12mm.

Iím just curious, if you want to do it, thatís reason enough to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Well hcg. Cuz what monster truck sits low to the ground?
    And I already have 17mm hexes.

RC Qualifier
    I just use 2.8 mt trenchers, badlands mx28, etc. the 3.8 I imagine would be way too wide and rub on everything.

I like the HCG slash chassis, itís very easy to work on. The only thing I donít like about it is the servo horn is exposed to whatever you may snag on the front end. You could get a skid plate from t bone but that reduces the clearances.

Once you have say the mx28 badlands you will find the lcg chassis sits quite a bit off the ground, the protection it offers the servo area is worth it in my opinion.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 11-26-2019 at 02:52 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I just use 2.8 mt trenchers, badlands mx28, etc. the 3.8 I imagine would be way too wide and rub on everything.

I like the HCG slash chassis, itís very easy to work on. The only thing I donít like about it is the servo horn is exposed to whatever you may snag on the front end. You could get a skid plate from t bone but that reduces the clearances.

Once you have say the mx28 badlands you will find the lcg chassis sits quite a bit off the ground, the protection it offers the servo area is worth it in my opinion.
    Are 2.8 trenchers about as tall as 1/8 buggy tires

RC Qualifier
    They are 10-12mm taller.

Quote Originally Posted by jake414 View Post
    I need you guys to either tell me "yes you'll be more happy" or "no that's dumb dont do it".
    It doesn't get more fun than a Monster Truck IMO, so it would be hard for me to say you won't be happy. Buggy's belong on the track IMO.

I do alot of construction site running. So it's pretty bumpy.
    Sounds like the perfect fit for a monster truck.

I want to convert it to HCG slash with the proline trenchers. I'm assuming you guys use the 3.8 17mm trenchers?
    I just use 2.8 Trenchers with 12mm hex, the same as you would use on something like a Stampede 4x4. As long as you use aluminum hex's and tighten your wheels on tightly, it should not be a problem. It's not for me, even using 4s and 1/8th scale electronics with both of my trucks now. You could probably find 17mm versions if you want, but I would stick with 2.8" trenchers rather than 3.8".

My truck with 2.8" trenchers (12mm hex) and Slash 4x4 HCG chassis:

RC Qualifier
    Are 2.8 trenchers about as tall as 1/8 buggy tires

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    They are 10-12mm taller.

What Alex said.

For scale reference, here is how the mx28 badlands look on a slightly modified Sl4sh HCG

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    It doesn't get more fun than a Monster Truck IMO, so it would be hard for me to say you won't be happy. Buggy's belong on the track IMO.

Sounds like the perfect fit for a monster truck.

I just use 2.8 Trenchers with 12mm hex, the same as you would use on something like a Stampede 4x4. As long as you use aluminum hex's and tighten your wheels on tightly, it should not be a problem. It's not for me, even using 4s and 1/8th scale electronics with both of my trucks now. You could probably find 17mm versions if you want, but I would stick with 2.8" trenchers rather than 3.8".

My truck with 2.8" trenchers (12mm hex) and Slash 4x4 HCG chassis:

Can I get 17mm 2.8 trenchers?
    I guess in wondering if the extra 11mm difference over my 1/8 tires is worth it haha.

RC Racer
    Which offset did you get? I guess I see lots of options on proline website

RC Qualifier
    Can I get 17mm 2.8 trenchers?
    I guess in wondering if the extra 11mm difference over my 1/8 tires is worth it haha.

There is never version, 2.8 belted trenchers with separated 17mm hex. Stronger hex and no more ballooning.

RC Qualifier
    Sory, new version, not never

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    There is never version, 2.8 belted trenchers with separated 17mm hex. Stronger hex and no more ballooning.

Do people have problems stripping the 12mm hex? Do the regular trenchers hold up to 4s power?

The increased weight and tall tires make the 12mm hex a weak link and have a much higher chance of stripping. If you also go with 1/8th scale power 17mm just makes sense. Plus alot of people go with hub extenders to widen the track on MT conversions but with 17mm adaptors you can get the extension without more parts.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    The increased weight and tall tires make the 12mm hex a weak link and have a much higher chance of stripping. If you also go with 1/8th scale power 17mm just makes sense. Plus alot of people go with hub extenders to widen the track on MT conversions but with 17mm adaptors you can get the extension without more parts.
    Gotcha. So it sounds like it would be silly for me to not get the new belted ones with 17mm adapter. I will be running 4s

Do people have problems stripping the 12mm hex? Do the regular trenchers hold up to 4s power?
    I'm running regular 2.8" trenchers on 4s in both my Slash 4x4 MT (Mamba Monster X + Castle 2200kv 4074) as well as my Stampede 4x4 (Mamba Max Pro + 2400kv 3674) and I've never once stripped a 12mm hex. I run my trucks hard, including full-throttle wheelies, big jumps, etc. Most people that strip their hex are using the stock plastic hex adapters that suck. Using metal 12mm hex adapters basically solves the problem.

You're more likely to strip a 12mm plastic hex on a stock truck on 2s than you are using 12mm metal hex adapters and 1/8th scale power on 4s.

The main reason that I continue to use 12mm hex size is because I already have a lot of different 12mm wheels and my MIP X-Duty CVDs also came with built-in metal 12mm hex adapters. 17mm is great, and no doubt better, but there is no inherent issue running 4s 1/8th scale power with 12mm metal hex adapters. I've been doing it almost every day for years.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 11-27-2019 at 12:33 PM.

RC Racer
    I'm running regular 2.8" trenchers on 4s in both my Slash 4x4 MT (Mamba Monster X + Castle 2200kv 4074) as well as my Stampede 4x4 (Mamba Max Pro + 2400kv 3674) and I've never once stripped a 12mm hex. I run my trucks hard, including full-throttle wheelies, big jumps, etc. Most people that strip their hex are using the stock plastic hex adapters that suck. Using metal 12mm hex adapters basically solves the problem.

You're more likely to strip a 12mm plastic hex on a stock truck on 2s than you are using 12mm metal hex adapters and 1/8th scale power on 4s.

The main reason that I continue to use 12mm hex size is because I already have a lot of different 12mm wheels and my MIP X-Duty CVDs also came with built-in metal 12mm hex adapters. 17mm is great, and no doubt better, but there is no inherent issue running 4s 1/8th scale power with 12mm metal hex adapters. I've been doing it almost every day for years.
    Guess I have a decision to make. I dont really plan on running more than 4s on this truck, unless it's for speed runs in which I have belted tires.
    So the tires seem to hold up to 4s fine?
    I will either have to buy metal hexes or the 17mm. Which I kinda like the idea of more offset

Before you spend the money to convert it to HCG, put on the 2.8 Trenchers (or Badlands MX28) with HR +10mm offset 17mm adapters and try them out. They may surprise you.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Actually what is way more common is stripping the hex in the rim not the hex on the truck. So metal hex hubs on the truck really don't reduce the rims from stripping. Plus just because you have not had the problem statistically makes to a higher risk for the rest of us since it does happen and if you are not getting your share then that is just more for the rest of us to suffer from.

9 times out of 10 the real reason for stripped hex nuts/rims are wheels nuts coming loose or inferior rim material. And the truth is people who properly take care of and maintain their rigs and buy good quality parts and not go for the cheapest parts. Will rare if ever have a hex strip on them. I have never had it happen. But there are 1000s every year who do have this problem with 12mm hex drives.

I believe it is a benefit to new coming/returning hobbyists to know and understand that when they are making the choice of 12mm vs 17mm to know that 12mm hex are well known to strip but 17mm are well known to rare if ever strip. So they can make the informed choice.

We all know there are outliers to every statistic. It also undermines what he is trying to accomplish if he bases his choice on just one person's unique experience of a near perfect possible outcome and ignore the avg people's experiences. This is why I left out my own experiences with 12mm hex because I am here to help not just make it known I am the most perfect RC owner possible who has the best possible out comes with my choices.