RC Enthusiast

Component upgrade questions....

I started with the brushed slash 4x4 and had the store upgrade it recently to the vxl system. I am running 2s LiPo's in it but I did buy a 3s just to see what it could handle. Front tires barely stay on the ground!

I have read a lot of people saying you need to upgrade hardware to really run the 3s without damage. I don't envision running it much on the 3s, but would like to have the hardware if needed.

I dug through the accessories/parts lists/PDF's on the traxxas site comparing my unit to the stock vxl parts list but don't see much difference.

Is there a special drive shaft or components I need to change to meet the 3s stress requirements?

Thanks!

Probably the center shaft. The ring and pinion on the diffs are different as well.
    The Super Derecho

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    And then the axle shafts, and then...... leave it 2s, for real.... otherwise you will end up with a $1500 slash....

Ask me how I know

RC Racer
    3s leads to the dark side. If running 2s just replace the driveshaft and cv axles. I recommend tekno big bone driveshaft and mip x duty axles. Maybe replace the stock diffs with X0-1 diffs. But after that stop unless something breaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    And then the axle shafts, and then...... leave it 2s, for real.... otherwise you will end up with a $1500 slash....

Ask me how I know
    No kidding. You start with a bearing carrier and bam, before you know it costs almost as much as a used real car.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    No kidding. You start with a bearing carrier and bam, before you know it costs almost as much as a used real car.
    Or you end up with 2 or three of them because one it too fast for regular bashing and the second is too low for real off road, or... well, you get the drift.

If you're not doing anything crazy or trying to do speed runs stay with the 2S and regear a little. It'll be plenty fast/quick and there may even be times you'll put it in training mode for some of the smaller tracks you might make. We have one that is about 20x50 and full speed is way too much (mostly because I am horrible at throttle control). But on training the amount of drift is perfect.
    Scott
    Slash 2wd
    Slash Ultimate 4wd
    Stampede 4wd

RC Qualifier
    Gearing is absolutely an overlooked tuning option. My 4wd cars behave like they are drift cars on crack just from a simple 2-3 tooth down-gear, it’s pretty amusing. All within reason of course and keeping an eye on motor and esc temperatures.

RC Enthusiast
    Gearing is absolutely an overlooked tuning option. My 4wd cars behave like they are drift cars on crack just from a simple 2-3 tooth down-gear, itís pretty amusing. All within reason of course and keeping an eye on motor and esc temperatures.
    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and responses!

We finally got time to run the upgraded VXL system on the Slash with the 7600 2s Lipo vs the new 1/16 E-Revo VXL running two (2) stock 1200 NiMH batteries in parallel....

....the 1/16 VXL E-Revo blows away the VXL Slash in speed, by a fair margin!

I agree that the 3s Lipo in the Slash in a bit much, but a lot of fun.

You had mentioned adjusting the gearing a bit. Is there one you suggest that would bump up my top end with the 2s to be competitive with the E-Revo we have?

Thank you!

RC Qualifier
    2s you are going to be limited on the top end no matter what gear you use, the voltage just won’t have the same oomph as 3s. The specs say you can use the included 19 pinion gear to get to over 40 but that’s about it.

RC Enthusiast
    2s you are going to be limited on the top end no matter what gear you use, the voltage just wonít have the same oomph as 3s. The specs say you can use the included 19 pinion gear to get to over 40 but thatís about it.
    The 3s is too quick for what I am looking to run normally but the current set up is just a tad slow, just looking to gain a few more on the top end.

I read a fair amount last night about the 19T and people do not seem to recommend it for normal running, says it can get too hot after a while, is that true?

I dug through the Traxxas site and see they offer pretty much every size from 19 down by one increments. Would it be safer to run a 17 or something in the middle or is the 19 fine?

Thanks!

RC Champion
    On 2s the 19t should be fine as long as you monitor the temps.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    On 2s the 19t should be fine as long as you monitor the temps.
    Thank. I ordered one last night, and will test it out this weekend!