RC Racer

Traxxas Power-Up: 2.4GHz 4-channel system for $75

Has anybody done this?

http://www.traxxas.com/v2/powerup/

Apparently you can trade in your AM setup and get a 2.4 GHz setup for $62.50 (2-channel) or $75 (4-channel).

RC Qualifier
    i would assume to get the 4 channel you'd have to trade in at least a 3 channel from a maxx or revo.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'm seriously considering doing the 2.4 upgrade....only I'll do it at the LHS for I think $67.50 instead of sending in the old and waiting for the new. Being the only RC I have that would mean at the very least a few weeks without and I've no idea how quick the turn around is on something like that.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ThacoVXL
    i would assume to get the 4 channel you'd have to trade in at least a 3 channel from a maxx or revo.
    Not true. If you go to the website and choose the MERV VXL, you can upgrade to the 4-channel for $75.

Tim

yea i was thinking about doing that i got my mini transmitter just sitting around but im gunna wait and see if they do it with the new traxxas link

RC Racer
    I kinda hate the idea of Traxxas Link. Who wants to memorize the number of blinks and red vs. green? I think it is a horrible design and obviously was developed by a programmer and not someone familiar with usability. Egad. All they had to do was to add a very small LCD to indicate where you are in the menu. That's it. No freaking way would I want to carry around a cheat sheet to remember the blinks.

t

RC Competitor
    I think this Power Up Gig is awesome.Ive been looking on upgrading to a 2.4 and now this makes it much easier on the wallet.I called my LHS and they said bring in the old stuff and $68 and I'll get a New 2.4ghz Radio and Receiver.

RC Champion
    Yeah I would like to do this with my 1/10 revo and then maybe just get another receiver or my merv later on...
    Later!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfPlayer
    Not true. If you go to the website and choose the MERV VXL, you can upgrade to the 4-channel for $75.

Tim

Why would we need a 4-channel? Isn't the stock AM radio a 2-channel? I hate to sound like a silly-face...but I am thinking all we need is two channels....one for motor (esc), and one for steering servo.....right? If we had four channels, I'm thinking two of those four would be un-used for our MERV's.

Am I missing something here? I was thinking about upgrading to the 2.4ghz as well, but I don't think the 4-channel is necessary, unless you plan on using the radio in another vehicle that uses more than 2 channels. Somebody tell me if I'm way off base.

RC Qualifier
    yes the stock is 2ch

you could do the 4ch and do the other two channels for roof lights and regular lights.
    Last edited by EpicSlash; 01-04-2010 at 07:32 PM.
    Slash 1/10/VXL
    Slash 1/16/VXL/2S
    for sale.

RC Enthusiast
    Your on base Auxbar. You only need two channels to operate the vehicle. But, if later down the road you decide to race you'll appreciate having a 3rd channel to plug in a personal transponder. You can also use the free channels to power a small fan or even some LED lights (as EpicSlash mentioned). For most people, 2 channels is more than enough.
    Too many RC vehicles / Spektrum DX3R

RC Racer
    IMO, Just spend the $ an get a spektrum
    revo 3.3
    jammin x2
    losi ten-t

RC Champion
    if 2.4 ghz gets it done, then i dont see why spending more money unless you are a serious racer/basher with a lot of people, etc... i mean even then you would only need the traxxas one. im sure the aftermarket ones are better (hence the higher price) but if you dont race a lot, but you do occasionally, and you dont mind having to use the cheat sheet to setup the receiver etc. then i think the traxxas one would be satisfying..
    JMO though.

RC Champion
    What is your reason for upgrading ?

What do you think the 2.4g unit will offer that the stocker cant ?

Traxxas should include them and charge a little extra

Few bucks more than the Traxxas offer and you can pick up a unit with heaps more functionality such as :

steering and throttle end point / travel adjustments
    timers
    multiple models / memory locations
    proper digital trims

Cheers
    Last edited by crusey_aus; 01-05-2010 at 06:25 AM.
    Slash Platinum
    SCT MMP / 2400kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey_aus
    What is your reason for upgrading ?

What do you think the 2.4g unit will offer that the stocker cant ?

Traxxas should include them and charge a little extra

Few bucks more than the Traxxas offer and you can pick up a unit with heaps more functionality such as :

steering and throttle end point / travel adjustments
    timers
    multiple models / memory locations
    proper digital trims

Cheers

i assume that the whole point of this "power up" is because the future models will all come with 2.4 included, this just gives everybody the opportunity to at least be equal to the new vehicles that may include the 2.4

RC Qualifier
    I wish it was the one with traxxas link though, its the old 2.4ghz one.
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

RC Racer
    just did the swap yest, 4 channel remote and 4 channel receiver, my main reasoning was having a shorter antenna, getting rid of that stupid antenna on my remote. Although i was under the impression you could set the steering end points because I want to upgrade that to a 82/85 MG. Sadly you cannot adjust steering end points only the throttle, which I find to be pointless with electric. Built in fail safe is cool though as well as doing away with those god awful antennas

RC Racer
    I went with the tower hobbies 224 system for my merv, I like not having an antenna on the car. For my rustler, I am going with the traxxas swap, so I won't interfere with the kids cars anymore and the shorter antenna is a plus.
    I don't need the spektrum as with the traxxas electrics I don't need endpoint adjustment nor steering limiters. I would rather have a separate controller for each car, as sometimes my cars are run in parallel when I share them with the kids.