RC Champion

Ultimate Slash project... What direction to go with it?

Hi all,

My "Ultimate Slash" project is still some distance off in the future, but the time is slowly approaching and it's slowly starting to come into focus. My original intent was to stretch the truck as far as I could go into wild "ultimate"-dom with some crazy mods. I really just wanted to make it as "ultimate" as "ultimate" could reasonably be, with innovative suspension & chassis layout, etc.

However, I've started to consider another more managable possibility, trying to make it into more of a racing vehicle, more Ultimate Rustler style. I don't know if I'm 100% willing to let it be a fully legal race truck (there are some boundaries I want to push beyond), but if I went this second route, all emphasis would be on getting the most performance out of the platform possible, while keeping it reasonably true to the original design.

Which would y'all prefer to see?

RC Champion
    [argh double-post sorry]
    The #1 Traxxas RC fan, 12 years & counting!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was waiting got the ultimate race slash for a LONG time. I would love to see that
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Qualifier
    As I posted on your site Jang

Race Slash Us Racers need some Love too

RC Racer
    +1 on a race Slash

RC Champion
    Jang.. Ultimate Rustler style... You are the reason I bought that Rusty of mine... I already have a Slash I'm working into a race machine while maintaining the original chassis / lift design.. I was planning to do as much "ultimate rustler" treatment as i could without actually hacking into the chassis... much... Do it man.. Just to spite the SC10 and Blitz and Strike owners...

PS: the /6b is fantastic.
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Champion
    I too am working on my Slash to compete with the new race trucks out from other manufactures. The Slash holds it own well but there is always room for improvement. My mods however will probably be limited to installing "off the shelf" products. I am always amazed at the level of engineering incorporated into your creations. All that to say, I too would be interested in your take on an "Ultimate Race Slash"

TR17
    To err is human, to arr is pirate!

RC Qualifier
    While not true to the design, I am curious about the reveresed mid-engine tranny (ala slice chassis).
    VXL Slash 2WD, VXL Stampede 2WD, and E-Maxx 3905

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Racer, definitely
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    Racer it is!

RC Champion
    YEAH!
    You da man..!1111!!1!!!!
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJANG
    Racer it is!
    Nice It'll give us all inspiration for our Slash.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I will be racing for the first time in over 20 years this spring, and maybe this will help me start where I left off. All A-mains baby!
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    Alright guys as I've gotten closer & closer to proceeding with this thing, I've started acquiring components and getting clarification on the local rules and I've hit a massive brick wall. I feel like I've had the wind knocked clear outta me. Our local "open" SC class will not allow custom-made chassis. They have to be "mass-produced" upgrades. They'll allow Protrac suspension and Slice or Xtreme chassis even in the "stock spec" class, but only because they're "mass-produced" specifically for the Slash.

Obviously this puts me in quite the bind, as if I do a truly Ultimate Slash, I won't be able to legally race it here. Anything that can be done with mass-produced Slash hopups will of course never be worthy of the Ultimate name. I'll try to do some creative thinking about where I can go from here, but in the meantime, if anyone has any really creative suggestions for how I could proceed, please let me know! I'm considering just moving forward anyhow just using ROAR rules, and then trying to race just in heat races to see how good I can make this thing, and skip the main events since the truck won't pass local rules.

RC Qualifier
    Alright guys as I've gotten closer & closer to proceeding with this thing, I've started acquiring components and getting clarification on the local rules and I've hit a massive brick wall. I feel like I've had the wind knocked clear outta me. Our local "open" SC class will not allow custom-made chassis. They have to be "mass-produced" upgrades. They'll allow Protrac suspension and Slice or Xtreme chassis even in the "stock spec" class, but only because they're "mass-produced" specifically for the Slash.

Obviously this puts me in quite the bind, as if I do a truly Ultimate Slash, I won't be able to legally race it here. Anything that can be done with mass-produced Slash hopups will of course never be worthy of the Ultimate name. I'll try to do some creative thinking about where I can go from here, but in the meantime, if anyone has any really creative suggestions for how I could proceed, please let me know! I'm considering just moving forward anyhow just using ROAR rules, and then trying to race just in heat races to see how good I can make this thing, and skip the main events since the truck won't pass local rules.
    TheJANG,

What about asking them what constitutes mass produced?

It used to be very common for OEM (1:1) mfg's to build a number of a new or "custom" setup like you are talking about just to meet that rule.

My guess is they won't have an answer. You simply make your ultimate slash, and then mod and sell say 10 chassis on ebay.

Bam! Ultimate slash and mass produced.

Please Jangificate the Slash too!
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea tell em its a homologation special.

RC Qualifier
    i like krispy's idea. but ask the track what they consider mass produced before you start.
    ps make the battery compartment extra long so you can experiment with weight estribution.
    ummmm...this isnt what i ordered...

RC Champion
    Yeah I might have to go that route. It's a ridiculous amount of work to have to do just to be allowed to drive, but I'll be [darn]ed if the innovations of the "little guy" that have always moved this hobby forward will be disallowed from being continued! Where would we be with out all of the once no-name innovators of the past like Gil Losi Sr., Jammin' Jay, The Dirtinator, etc...?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I might have to go that route. It's a ridiculous amount of work to have to do just to be allowed to drive, but I'll be [darn]ed if the innovations of the "little guy" that have always moved this hobby forward will be disallowed from being continued! Where would we be with out all of the once no-name innovators of the past like Gil Losi Sr., Jammin' Jay, The Dirtinator, etc...?
    Well think about it this way, you will have a few extra chassis to mess around with before you settle on a final design. Heck you could even test torsional rigidity of different jangified chassis until you find one that is an acceptable compromise between stiffness and weight.

I bet you could sell your limited production run of chassis on here and people would snatch them up like hotcakes!

I just yesterday discovered the ultimate traxxas website and saw the rustler project. Your modification style is right up my alley. Best of luck sir! Keep us informed!
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777
    Yea tell em its a homologation special.
    LOL yeah..just like rally cars. There's a minimum production for homologation..however since the open mod class rule doesn't specify the minimum "mass produced" numbers, we can just make two of them Probably that'll allow Jang's modified chassis to be run on the race!
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the support, guys. I'm gonna push forward with it.

RC Qualifier
    Any updates?
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Hey Jang... the rules state no CUSTOM MADE chassis... what about CUSTOM MODIFIED stock chassis. Is there a rule that you CANT modify the stock chassis? If there were, i would think things like cutting for battery installation and things like that would be against the rules since its technically "modifying" the stock chassis. BUT, if you CAN modify your stock chassis... you may be o.k. to do extreme mods, as long as its starts out as stock.
    Just a thought. I used to race snowmobiles and in the stock class you couldent even cut a hole in the hood for cooling or cover up a vent to prevent snow intake. BUT... in mod class you could do whatever you wanted, as long as the sled STARTED out as stock. Stock chassis... but mods were allowed. Stock motor, but you could mod it to a point.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Krispy
    Any updates?
    I'm afraid not, not yet. I have quite outstandingly bad luck with countless little things in life and I've been set back week after week on another project that has required the use of both of my 2WD Slashes. I've gotten the G10 (for prototyping) and CF (for the final) for the chassis and I have the design worked out pretty well in my head, I just haven't been able to start the tangible work yet.

RC Qualifier
    I'm afraid not, not yet. I have quite outstandingly bad luck with countless little things in life and I've been set back week after week on another project that has required the use of both of my 2WD Slashes. I've gotten the G10 (for prototyping) and CF (for the final) for the chassis and I have the design worked out pretty well in my head, I just haven't been able to start the tangible work yet.
    Does this mean you figured out a way around the rules?
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Champion
    No, I'm just going to try to barge my way right through them, all the while whining about how the rule is anti-innovation and anti-little guy. If they don't budge, I'll just make a couple more chassis and put them up for special order sale at a high price to comply with the rule

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    Jang I like the idea of racing in the heats for fun not for points or to get into the Main. Are you going to custom make rear shock tower? So you can connect it to a lower chassis without having to have and upper deck plate?
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Champion
    It'll definitely have custom towers front & rear. I don't think I'll be attaching it to the lower chassis plate, though that depends upon what I can come up with for the rear suspension geometry.

The good news is that I've now finished all of the videotaping I needed to do with the stock chassis for awhile, so I should be able to start tearing into this thing next week!! Super excited about it! I'm going to try to play games with the weight distribution, and I'll probably first do 2 or 3 very ugly and hacky-looking prototypes with way too many mounting options for experimentation.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ooo cant wait!!
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Qualifier
    Too many mounting options is always a fun thing! Shoot a pm this way when/if you have to sell a few!
    Traxxas should just cash my checks for me