Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Rock Crushers 8.26 Tires

I am mounting them on my beadlocks now. I'll post some info and pics and stuff later!

ok guy its been 20 min , you have us waiting.

RC Enthusiast
    heheh, beadlocks are tedious! two down two to go. I know your excited (not as much as i am though. took about two weeks to get em!

RC Enthusiast

I'll post some more pictures later. Right now I'm gonna go play with the new tires!

RC Champion
    So awesome!!! Can't wait to see 'em on the truck!!!
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Enthusiast

...and another.

I just got back from a little mix. Asphalt, grass, gravel, rocks, crawling and speed runs.

- Asphalt they grab OK but if it is sandy or wet it doesn't take much to make the truck slide around. One shouldn't expect good asphalt performance with these.

- Grass and Gravel they seem about the same as any other tire.

- Rock crawling they have more bite on the rock and the larger deeper lugs make a good difference. A couple of times when I got in a tight spot i had to back up, the tires have so much bite on the rocks that you can easily snap a shaft or something. Having the extra ground clearance is very very nice.

The foams that came with the tires seemed a bit stiff in my opinion, not enough "squish" but that can be fixed. The tire's sidewall doesn't flex as much as I expected during a hard turn, which is probably more to do with the stiff foams.
    It's hard to judge them so far because I've only had one run, but I figured everyone would want to hear some first impressions.

Oh yeah, they're freakin' HUGE!!!

If I missed something just ask...
    Last edited by CaveDog21; 01-16-2010 at 05:51 PM.

RC Champion
    Just plain awesome.

So how is the power? I would imagine that the power needed to get those tires turning would rob at least a little bit of torque. If I had to guess, I'd say the low end torque is a little less but top speed is about this same. Is this true?
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Qualifier
    Awesome!!! My crushers are at the shipping outlet in Montana! Aswell as some narrow axial beadlocks because I think the oversized axials I have right mow are way to wide for them. I can't head down to the border to pick them up till middle of next week because I am working nights this weekend and half the week. I can't wait to get them. Your summit looks sick.

Don't be scared to post a pile more pics!
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Enthusiast
    Well top speed is about the same, not really anything noticeable to be honest. Yeah it does seem like there is less torque getting to the tires. It appears that the driveline is now absorbing the torque, instead of turning the tires it's just twisting the shafts and everything really hard; which is why I said it would be easy to snap a shaft compared to stock.

I have a 12T pinion on the way, and I hope to install a Tekin RX8 when money becomes available. I also want to get some steels driveshafts, i'll have to pick those up before I get the tekin or else I'll tear the thing to pieces.

RC Enthusiast

Here's one for size, I know some people were concerned about the size and spacing of the lugs, can't get much clearer then this. And that clip is one that comes with the truck.

Don't make fun of my crippled little 1/16 erevo. The motor blew and I'm getting a new one from Traxxas, and I need to replace a diff.

RC Qualifier
    Haha.... now you got me worried my Monster Mamba 2200 is going to destroy my driveline when I put my crushers on.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxximus Prime
    Haha.... now you got me worried my Monster Mamba 2200 is going to destroy my driveline when I put my crushers on.
    Eh I'm sure you'll be ok unless you bind up when your diffs are locked, I can really only see it being a problem if your diffs are locked. Although in your case you just might chew up your slipper.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the heads up. I guess I can hok the ESC to the laptop too and detune it some before I go crawling for abit if added safety.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

Those things look sick....Thank you for the pics and first impressions.You think a stock summit could handle those? I do mostly crawling and mountain climbing so lot of slow speed.Those things look wicked on the summit
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I hate this thread. Your making me jealous that I don't have mine yet. Lol
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Enthusiast
    I have some stuff that I crawl over when I'm inside (guitar cases and things) and one thing I did notice happening even more now is:

You know how you can give a little throttle and the motor move but the wheels don't, well the twisting force is getting stored in the drive shafts because they are twisting, when you let off you can hear it "unspool". Now with the bigger diameter tires it seems that that happens a bit easier, bad.

SO, that's the reason I want to upgrade my shafts with the heftier steel ones so more power is sent to the wheels and not expended on twisting the shafts. Make sense?

As for a stock summit taking these, yeah no problem. BUT crawling with the stock pinion both the esc and the motor will get hot quicker. So in the warmer weather it would be wise to install an auxiliary fan and or heat sink on the motor.

Hey Traxximus, at least you know what you have to look forward to! You should add your experience too, I know there are a lot of people that want info on these tires and it's tuff to find anything on the 4.0 size to begin with, nevermind on the summit. That's why I started this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by CaveDog21
    I have some stuff that I crawl over when I'm inside (guitar cases and things) and one thing I did notice happening even more now is:

You know how you can give a little throttle and the motor move but the wheels don't, well the twisting force is getting stored in the drive shafts because they are twisting, when you let off you can hear it "unspool". Now with the bigger diameter tires it seems that that happens a bit easier, bad.

SO, that's the reason I want to upgrade my shafts with the heftier steel ones so more power is sent to the wheels and not expended on twisting the shafts. Make sense?

As for a stock summit taking these, yeah no problem. BUT crawling with the stock pinion both the esc and the motor will get hot quicker. So in the warmer weather it would be wise to install an auxiliary fan and or heat sink on the motor.

Hey Traxximus, at least you know what you have to look forward to! You should add your experience too, I know there are a lot of people that want info on these tires and it's tuff to find anything on the 4.0 size to begin with, nevermind on the summit. That's why I started this thread!
    Can you even get a smaller pinion? Ya Traxxamus even if i ordered now prob be 3 weeks to get em.I'm liking them thar tires.Now that i see them on a summit I Think i gotta have some too.You gonna start a club The Crusher club
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    I really haven't seen any pinions smaller than 11 so far, don't forget they're 5mm drive. You can always get a little larger spur gear as well. the 12T will give you 81.88:1 low gear and 29.57:1 high gear those ratios are with the 12T pinion and 68T spur gear. I haven't looked all that hard for a spur gear yet, I'm gonna wait and see how the pinion alone does for me. I would like to take the summit hiking with me on some trails at some point too, so I want it to crawl strong but also have a little speed when I need it.

RC Qualifier
    Got any pics of a view from the front so we can see the stance?
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Enthusiast
    Heres a normal one

And a scary wide-angle one! Imagine being at a bugs eye view like this?

Heres a normal one

And a scary wide-angle one! Imagine being at a bugs eye view like this?
    Oh man those tires are sweet lookin I gotta get some I forgot about the mudslingers after i saw the pics.I knew they would look good...But not that good.They kinda say if you don't get outa the way i'll be pickin chunks of you outa the tread I
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Thank you! That wide angle ones awesome! Can you say desktop!
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Racer
    Nice write up CaveDog21. Those tyres really make a difference to the appearance of the truck. There should not be anything which it can't climb over now.

With your foams try the tyres with out foams & see what sort of a difference it makes. I run my Kongs with out foams & grip a lot better.

RC Enthusiast
    I don't think I mentioned this yet, but, when I did my little indoor run I noticed that while the tires didn't flex much they DID flex when needed. By that I mean, when you are fighting over a rock/ledge/point or whatever they DO flex just the right amount because of the combination of the hefty weight of the truck and because you are applying power to the tires. It appears that my initial disgruntledness about that is no more.

However, if I did "soften" them further I think that the tires would actually flex to early and the lugs would "bite" before they really had anything to grip on. Whereas if you have to apply extra forward (or backward) power you are forcing more rock/surface INTO the lugs BEFORE they get to "bite" down.

Bug777 are the Kongs a thicker rubber? These tires seem like they would be waaay to thin to support a big truck like this. Plus they are taller so the sidewalls aren't going to be as strong.

I don't think I mentioned this yet, but, when I did my little indoor run I noticed that while the tires didn't flex much they DID flex when needed. By that I mean, when you are fighting over a rock/ledge/point or whatever they DO flex just the right amount because of the combination of the hefty weight of the truck and because you are applying power to the tires. It appears that my initial disgruntledness about that is no more.

However, if I did "soften" them further I think that the tires would actually flex to early and the lugs would "bite" before they really had anything to grip on. Whereas if you have to apply extra forward (or backward) power you are forcing more rock/surface INTO the lugs BEFORE they get to "bite" down.

Bug777 are the Kongs a thicker rubber? These tires seem like they would be waaay to thin to support a big truck like this. Plus they are taller so the sidewalls aren't going to be as strong.
    If they needed it.BIG if, the foam could be star trimmed.I don't suppose you could post some vid in action you'd be the first.I've looked every were.I can't quite get over how wicked those look.I saw the pic on rc4wd of the e maxx they looked kinda cool,But they were made for the summit And so far they perform good too gotta get some
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Heres the ones im looking at. They are supposed to be a little bigger by the measurements on RC4WD.

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=889

RC Racer
    RC4WD Demolisher tire coming soon, 9.8" outer diameter, 5.7" width. $79.99. Can't pre-order not available yet.http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=997

RC Racer
    The Kongs have a thin side wall but a thick tread face.

The reason I suggested to remove the foams is that it gives you an idea on how much you can cut out of them with out going too far.

With the smaller versions of those tyres when they flex too far they close up the gaps between the tread blocks & become a set of slicks on the rock.

RC Qualifier
    retaks im looking at those as well with a set of narrow oversized axial beadlocks from tower hobbies $59 for four rims, what rims were you thinking of using?
    summit, vxl merv,65mph club
    Oh No I Use Acronyms

RC Qualifier
    I already have a Axial Narrow Rockstars with Blue Holy Rollers Rings. Mine have Moabs on them right now.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Those tyres look really nice. Thanks for the write up and good pics. It would be nice to have a set of them, but they are so expensive, and quite specific.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Holy shish ka-bobs! Those things are gigantic! They look great too! I hope the driveline holds up against that extra rotating weight.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    That looks amazing!
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Retaks
    Heres the ones im looking at. They are supposed to be a little bigger by the measurements on RC4WD.

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=889
    looks like a good tire, love to see it on a summit!
    T8 sensored/Xerun-150a/custom chassis/fit body

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasher
    looks like a good tire, love to see it on a summit!
    It looks to me to be a better allterain tire then the rock crusher. I dont actually have a Summit but i have a Erevo with MMM. I like to bash and run crap over most of the time and the ERBE forum is mostly people for speed. You guys know whats what for going big and running stuff over. My Ervo will have either those tires in the link or the Swamp ones with the long travel rockers soon and possibly 2 speed andlights off a Summit. It already has summit bumpers, F-250 body, Locked rear diff and Ofna Diff Lock in the front so it is pretty much locked.

RC Qualifier
    Retaks, Sounds good, you pretty much are running the summit setup, i hope you get the ones in the link and post up some pics and a review. good luck, Brasher.
    T8 sensored/Xerun-150a/custom chassis/fit body

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasher
    Retaks, Sounds good, you pretty much are running the summit setup, i hope you get the ones in the link and post up some pics and a review. good luck, Brasher.
    IM sitting here right now debating between those tires or a set of their rims. Aaahhhh the choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Retaks
    IM sitting here right now debating between those tires or a set of their rims. Aaahhhh the choices.
    For the price of a set of those beadlocks, U could buy a summit They sure look good.They gotta be tough as nails
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    They are aluminum so they wont strip the screws as easy is why im looking into them. The axials i stripped 3 of the screws. There are like 20 on each side of the wheel but i dont like knowing 3 are stripped. I have $85 in the set of Axials i am using now so $150 for a set of aluminum is still less then double the price. Im just worried about the weight. Im waiting for them to get me an exact weight per wheel.

RC Qualifier
    I would love a set of their billet beadlocks!!! So nice!
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast