Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Competitor
    my Summit lasted 2 weeks before it's first failure, braking a rear short shaft/axle in long grass. A week later it melted & twisted the rear centre drive-shaft in half then a couple of days later I managed to kill a steering servo while tuning the remote without really driving it. It just started browning out and I noticed the servo getting warm then HOT.

It was 3 weeks old at this point. I have not once jumped it off anything more than a mound (1' at best) and never engaged the lockers in high range. Somewhere along the way I bent a pushrod which is about the only damage I would expect. The other failures were disappointing considering they are supposed to be a tough car.

6 weeks old and it now has steel drive shafts, Red alloy push rods, HK767 single servo steering setup with GHH Arm & Horns along with some steel A arm bash plates. The 2 standard nylon servo horns lasted 20 mins each before they stripped out (the alloy ones had not turned up yet, did today) but this may have been caused by the screw coming lose and allowing them to slip as I failed to use loctite on them.

Add to this an increasingly noisy motor...

2 mates have also since bought Summits...one is 4 weeks old. He broke an axle in 2 weeks & destroyed everything in the front diff centre minus the CW&P from some bashing and jumps.

At least most things can be strengthened...like 1:1 lol.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-16-2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Language

RC Champion
    Well, things are going to break. It's a hobby. Look on the bright side: broken parts mean more upgrades for them!!

RC Champion
    yeah these are not indestructable. you upgrade them then they are indestructable depending on what you upgrade
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Qualifier
    Simple answer-NO
    They just break more often than radioshack cars because they are much higher performance.
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I have 2 Summits, and i take them hiking for miles and miles, mostly rock crawling low range, but definitely scratches everywhere.
    I treat them as if they are small versions of a real truck, one I want to last for a long time. They have not given me any problems yet.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by E-RevoVXL View Post
    Well, things are going to break. It's a hobby. Look on the bright side: broken parts mean more upgrades for them!!

lol yeh I like this theory, no point replacing a weak link. Until the first failure I was thinking it was fairly strong. Nothing is unbreakable as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by zanek View Post
    They just break more often than radioshack cars because they are much higher performance.
    In my book high performance means less breakage...not more. From what I know, see & read (which isn't much) they do seem more durable than other makes.

RC Competitor
    I am the mate of cap51z with the shatter front diff, front short shaft. However I was doing some very fine circle work for 3 hours’ worth over the Easter weekend.

I have owned Tamiya DF01 Porsche scaler, HBX Cross Tiger(Tamiya TL01B copy), HPI E10 drift, HBX 1/18 brushless buggy, Axial AX10 crawler, AE SC10 and now Traxxas Summit.

And over all i have flogged the absolute begusses out of the summit and only broken two things and a little bit bent front push rod from jumping logs... (pics to be uploaded today)

So is Traxxas garbage? NO...

Seeya James

RC poster

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by kga943 View Post
    i understand things brake just wondering if other brands were stronger,and when you run 3 cars at a time something is going to brake i just dont understand the summit rear toe bar braking i wasnt doing anything crazy take a look
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/IMG_1181.jpg
    You had to have hit something hard to do that I ran my slash outside in 0 degree weather for about 20 min brought it inside the warehouse and full speed drifted intoa a pallet and only broke the rear axle carrier

RC Racer
    Gravedigger......
    "souvent fauché toujours marteau !"

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kga943 View Post
    just wondering if traxxas cars are junk compared to losi,hpi,associated the reason i ask is every time we take are bandit,rustler and now summit out to run them somthing always brakes on one of them
    Asking this question on a Traxxas forum will NOT give you an accurate answer. I think Traxxas is overpriced for what you get, has good customer support though, spare parts are cheap and readily available at most places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I would expect quality control to be nearly the same across the board for most of the mainstream brands and what you pay vs what you get. If you pay more I would expect better quality components but at the end of the day it largely comes down to the individual/owner and how you like to drive and how well they maintain their RCs. I have had my Summit and Summit VXL for a couple years now and the only issues I've had is with sand getting into the joints and slowly wearing away at the plastics. I just ordered some real silicone dust boots off eBay from a supplier in Russia. I did replace a a-arm in the Summit VXL but that was due to user error running it into a curb on 3s. The best piece of advice would be to buy the RC based on how you primarily expect to drive it and the terrain. If you are looking to do a lot of jumping don't buy a heavier RC plain and simple. Everything is junk if you treat it as such but of course some are slightly more inferior/superior over others but that is largely attributed to cost. Nobody wants to spend $600+ and then to feel the obligation to upgrade the drivetrain components. I wonder what brand/model OP decided to go with?!
    Last edited by Hman; 01-21-2018 at 01:43 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I've had my Rustler for many years now and it's been very reliable for me. One thing that impressed me was when I ran it for the very first time, I smashed into a concrete curb - front wheel first - at full throttle, 3 times (by accident of course) and the stock plastic caster block broke on the third hit. Then the upgrade bug bit me and now there is very little left stock from the original RC. I upgraded not because I had to, but because I wanted to. Most of Traxxas' RC's have been in production for a very long time. If there were any reliability issues, i don't think they would be as popular as they are. (In my opinion).
    Lead, follow or get out of the way

RC poster
    I have had a Slash since Christmas and I have broken plastic parts of the steering twice. I am new to Traxxas and am wondering the same about the cold. It really is fun to run it in a dusting of snow, but is below 40 too cold? We had 2 cars bump each other and now 1 is out of commission.

No, Traxxas vehicles are not junk.

You have to remember there are a lot of newbies and just plain idiots that buy Traxxas vehicles. If you hit a curb at speed it's your fault that the truck breaks. If you overpower the truck it's your fault.

RC Qualifier
    I have had a Slash 4x4 LCG, Summit, Rustler VXL, Mini E-Revo and aT-Maxx 2.5. I currently race my Slash in ROAR and it is a Tank. If you avoid crazy jumps, or running into things, they do not break. With the exception of stock driveshafts on certain vehicles running LiPos, but that is not biggie.

I have also owned Tekno SCT410.3, HPI Savage, Losi Eight-T, and Associated B64D. They all are great but will all break under the right circumstances. The original HPI Savage I had just plane sucked. The dual shock setup was the worst and if you landed wrong you bent 2 or more shock shafts and broke other things. The pre 2010 Losi and all AE cars were great, but have had issues. There is a reason I kept my Slash to race over other brands.

Only Brands I would own are; Traxxas, Tekno, Serpant, X-Ray, 8th Scale Kyosho, and 8th and 10th Scale AE.

Losi, in my opinion, has gone down hill. There plastics are very hard and brittle.
    HPI, well they are not currently producing vehicles

My only gripe about Traxxas, need more designs. Chassis designs and such. Stop using the same chassis for multiple vehicles. The X-Maxx, 4-Tec 2.0, and TRX-4 are awesome, more new designs. I understand why tho, to keep cost down on design and parts.
    Last edited by BadAssRC; 01-27-2018 at 07:06 AM.
    Slash Ultimate, HW XR8 SCT Pro/3660 SD-G2 4300 KV

RC Racer

are traxxas cars junk

I started my 8-year-old practicing jumps today in his 1/16th Summit on 2s. (This is not his first Traxxas RC) There wasn’t much room to bleed speed after the landing. He had the habit of jamming the breaks immediately after landing as opposed to turning to slide to a stop. This resulted on quite a few cartwheels, and also quite a few dead stops when the front skid-plate caught the corner of a sidewalk since the nose was dipped while on hard breaks. On the 11th, yes 11th cartwheel from an 8ft jump, he stripped a servo.

They’re pretty tough if you don’t drive like a maniac all the time, just some of the time lol

As for my vehicles, oh man. They have put up with more than I would have ever expected them to. Sure I replace parts, but far less so than I make driver errors...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maxx 8S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12