RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Exclamation Columbine/VT incident thwarted at my school today

Check this out kids: http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11851224

Every school in the district was on lockdown for a few hours. Ironically, while our school was technically on lockdown, and we were the school in danger, we were the only school in the district to go about like a regular day. Friends from other schools communicated with us via text message about being locked up in the corner of their classroom in the dark for more than two hours in many cases. We roamed the hallways as though nothing was going on...Could have been a disaster.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Champion
    he thinks he got picked on alot before, you just wait till he comes back to school!!! he will never have lunch money. haha

seriously though im glad nothing bad happened and the authorities got a handle on the situation.
    is there an 'AA' for RC addicts?

RC Racer
    lol over runescape
    what smells like supdawg???

RC Qualifier
    Sadly ours wasnt thwarted:
    http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne.../81330922.html
    Luckily it wasnt my school, it was one in my city. I dont think that any other schools had to go into lockdown. Level three lockdown is fun. Lights out and your packed in with girls. lol jk there fun if its only if its not for a serious thing
    Are you an RC addict?

RC Qualifier
    my school started that after columbine, their version, lock every one in the gym or the auditorium, lock EVERYONE including principals, teachers, everyone, then send in the state police to search lockers after teachers go room to room to make sure everyone is in the gym/auditorium, how stupid is that?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme maxx
    lol over runescape
    This part make me laught too. This game is really turning million of kid's addicted. A few years ago when I was still going at school I remember there was like 40-50 people playing this game during lunch hour
    No pain! No Gain!

Quote Originally Posted by jwaj2002
    my school started that after columbine, their version, lock every one in the gym or the auditorium, lock EVERYONE including principals, teachers, everyone, then send in the state police to search lockers after teachers go room to room to make sure everyone is in the gym/auditorium, how stupid is that?
    Yeah I agree. I never understood why anyone would think that the best way to avoid a catastrophe coming from a "terrorist" in the school is to put everyone in one place. Couldnt make it any easier for the person.....
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

Glad to hear everyone is OK. As a parent I worry about this when my kids go to school. School is supposed to be a safe place for our kids to learn. Now we have to have police, metal detectors and emergency systems to protect our kids from themselves...

I don't think there is an easy answer for this. If it was then we wouldn't be posting a thread about it.

One thing is kids picking on other kids about their looks, or what they wear, their religion or family. Kids can be really cruel.

One thing that would help is parents teaching their children self worth/pride and respect for others..... But that's in a perfect world and we are so far from that....

Again glad everyone is OK.... There's enough tragedies happening these days.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    One thing that would help is parents teaching their children self worth/pride and respect for others..... But that's in a perfect world and we are so far from that....
    NN, you're right on here. Parenting since I came around has really regressed. In my school, I'm part of a minority who's parents instilled the pride and respect for others you mentioned. The vast majority is a glob of aggravating, self-centered punks who do what they want, when they want regardless of the consequences (because by and large there are no consequences).
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

Quote Originally Posted by RustlerRacer16
    NN, you're right on here. Parenting since I came around has really regressed. In my school, I'm part of a minority who's parents instilled the pride and respect for others you mentioned. The vast majority is a glob of aggravating, self-centered punks who do what they want, when they want regardless of the consequences (because by and large there are no consequences).
    There used to be a time when parents were held responsible for their children's actions... Like Columbine, you mean to tell me the parents had no idea their kids had loads of rifles, ammunition, etc.? Heck the news reported that the father answered a call from the gun shop telling them their rifle was finished being serviced.........

OK some places people have different outlook on gun ownership, but a minor should only be able to possess a gun only when an adult is present....
    All Lives Matter

RC Champion
    Some places like everywhere have different views on everything and since its socially acceptable to blame everything and everyone else for ones own problems nothing will ever change. Columbine was blamed on video games, gun companies, Marilyn Manson, etc.......The first picture that should have been posted on tv was that of the parents with the worlds FAIL in bold red letters across their faces. Heres hard truth if a child does something crazy, stupid, criminal, or insane and that child still lives under their parents roof then the parents failed.

RC Qualifier
    No.....that's the problem. Everyone blames the parents....do u honestly think the parents have control these days....there's no fear of punnishment. I mean goodness when I was in school if I got in a fight..back talked a teacher etc etc I got a paddle to my **** .....and then when I got home again it was in fire. U best be sure I didn't do It again. We didn't have TVs in our rooms and 5 game consoles with a cell and internet. U got grounded and it SUCKED!!!

These days the kids just laugh at adults and parents saying "hit me go ahead ....ill just have u in jail" or some kids "cry wolf" ....lying about corporal punishment just to keep parents scared. Give dad back the power to put his children in their place and the world will be so much better......abuse is wrong.....punisment fitting the crime is a must!

Look at me....I turned out great as did the rest of my generation and those before me..... Kids ...have...no....respect or self worth these days. I'm lucky enough to send my daughters to private school and trust me, they know respect. I've NEVER had to raise a hand yet all BC I teach them the things my parents and elders taught me.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by midniteTRX
    No.....that's the problem. Everyone blames the parents....do u honestly think the parents have control these days....there's no fear of punnishment. I mean goodness when I was in school if I got in a fight..back talked a teacher etc etc I got a paddle to my **** .....and then when I got home again it was in fire. U best be sure I didn't do It again. We didn't have TVs in our rooms and 5 game consoles with a cell and internet. U got grounded and it SUCKED!!!

These days the kids just laugh at adults and parents saying "hit me go ahead ....ill just have u in jail" or some kids "cry wolf" ....lying about corporal punishment just to keep parents scared. Give dad back the power to put his children in their place and the world will be so much better......abuse is wrong.....punisment fitting the crime is a must!

Look at me....I turned out great as did the rest of my generation and those before me..... Kids ...have...no....respect or self worth these days. I'm lucky enough to send my daughters to private school and trust me, they know respect. I've NEVER had to raise a hand yet all BC I teach them the things my parents and elders taught me.
    This is all very true...by and large where I live, however, it is not. Here parents let their kids do what they want...it's disgusting what goes on in high school these days. I ask my friends, "how in the world do you get away with this stuff?" because I know I could never swing it. They reply one of two ways: 1) "my parents let me." 2) "my parents are too stupid to catch me." I hate this new world.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Qualifier
    In regards to the comment "kids these days have no respect". Just remember that these kids are being raised by the generation before them. I firmly believe you are a product of your enviroment therefore these kids are a reflection on their parents and parents before them.
    I was raised with the fear of being belted if I was naughty and I naturally (but wrongly) believed that was the way to punish and keep kids in line. My wife grew up in a different enviroment and we use her methods in raising our kids. Kids need to feel safe, loved and that they are the most important thing in their parents eyes and they need this from day one. My oldest boy is nearly 7 and I am so proud of him because he is respectful, polite and empathetic to his fellow humans. He is doing very well at school because we spend lots of time with him trying to make learning fun and interesting.
    I believe the key to a more harmonous society is parents doing their job as parents and putting the kids needs before there own.

RC Qualifier
    kinda funny when he qoutes this guy on runescape saying "*******es" because when i quit the game like a year ago they filtered out the word "dum" with 3 stars, and it was only getting stricter

Quote Originally Posted by midniteTRX
    No.....that's the problem. Everyone blames the parents....do u honestly think the parents have control these days....there's no fear of punnishment. I mean goodness when I was in school if I got in a fight..back talked a teacher etc etc I got a paddle to my (edited for language filter) .....and then when I got home again it was in fire. U best be sure I didn't do It again. We didn't have TVs in our rooms and 5 game consoles with a cell and internet. U got grounded and it SUCKED!!!
    Parenting doesn't mean you need a belt, but look at the big picture, so many put their kids on auto pilot in front of the TV, Xbox, whatever.

I spend time with my kids, I listen to them. I make it so they can speak w/me, by example. I don't say one thing but do another. I have earned their respect.

I don't need to hit or beat my kids. You'd be surprised at how writing a report about what they did wrong can not only be helpful for their communication and writing skills, but also it helps them express themselves.

I see way to many kids who's parent have no idea what their own children are up to. You have to have their respect by your own actions. You have to speak with them and spend time with them. You also have to understand the difference between a bad judgement and learning experience and something when you should know better is something different.

Violance just brings violance and retaliation and loss of respect from you kids; you want to be closer to them not have secrets and be far apart....

I've got 2 boys 1 13 the other turning 12. They know they can talk to me about anything, they may have to answer for their mistakes, but they know it would be 100 times worse if they didn't come forward in the first place.
    All Lives Matter

RC Champion
    Never mind ive decided that the parenting debate is one I don't thing should go on with fellow parents and im going to keep my thoughts to myself.
    Last edited by slowenuff; 01-23-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slowenuff
    Never mind ive decided that the parenting debate is one I don't thing should go on with fellow parents and im going to keep my thoughts to myself.

Slow,
    I respect that. I also respect any opinion you may have. We can ave our opinions, yet get along.....

I try my best not to be judgmental, and maybe this is just not the right place for this topic.

And with all respect to families of Columbine and V.T. it was a tragedy that affected so many for the rest of their lives.

Self-respect, respect of others, no bullying and having your clicques of buddies putting others down.... Maybe kids would not get so angry then and try to retaliate.. But then that all boils down to parenting skills......

It's up to a parent to teach anger management by example and spending time with their kids. Communication can really open up doors with your kids.

I've 2 boys, 13 turning 14 soon and the other 12. This is just the way I believe parenting went wrong. I hope what I do helps prepare them for the world when they come to face it head on.
    All Lives Matter

RC Champion
    i believe a mix of a firm hand and a loving one is the way to go....

i mean lets be honest, non of us behaved when we were kids, we did it because we knew we got in trouble, morals, a sense of right and wrong are not built in, they are taught.

if i did something wrong i was punished accordingly, never out or perspective or in a malicious way, if i did something right i was thanked or told that was nice (never rewarded with bribes or money because that just promotes greed and selfishes as you are not being good be cause it is right but because u expect something)

a very simple thing i remember from my child hood is that i always wanted a pen knife but i was not given one untill i stopped asking for one (over the course of a few years lol), and when i did get one my dad spent a long time teaching me how to use it.

its things like this people are missing..when i was young my mom and dad read to me, untill i was 8 we didnt actually watch telivision due to where we lived.

its not punishment or reward thats missing, i think its very basic parenting, knowing what your kids are upto, helping them and guiding them.

anyways...dont know if this makes sense but there we go :P

and also glad every ones ok
    we can rebuild it, we can make it faster, stronger

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmaxx64
    Sadly ours wasnt thwarted:
    http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/ne.../81330922.html
    Luckily it wasnt my school, it was one in my city. I dont think that any other schools had to go into lockdown. Level three lockdown is fun. Lights out and your packed in with girls. lol jk there fun if its only if its not for a serious thing
    haha, that is how I got my first exposure to female contact...in 5th grade, someone got stabbed in the basement, went into level 3 lockdown...
    I was in science class with the girl i had a crush on, we were bestest-best friends to boot
    she was scared...all squished into the corner...she had her head on my shoulder

I STILL didnt have the balls to tell her though
    oh well, im happy where I am now
    and that was like 5 years ago lol
    I am lucky I don't have any money.

RC Qualifier
    I say tie em down and whip em till they can't sit for a month, its how I was raised