RC poster

Lipo in stock Summit?

Hi!

Im new to the RC world and just got me a stock Summit.

I would like to know what the benefits of replacing my 8,4v NiMH batteries with Lipos are? Do I gain speed or runtime? I would also like to know if any modifications are needed? I read something about LVC? And finally, if I choose to go the Lipo-way which packs should I buy?

Thanx a bunch!

RC Qualifier
    Do a search for lipos and you'll find a ton of info. But in short, minimal speed change, much longer run time. I have a little buzzer that plugs into the balance plug that goes off when battery gets low. The packs at *********, *******, are what we poor people buy. If you got moola get some water proof pack from MaxAmps. Most lipos aren't waterproof, that's when you need a set of Nimhs....
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Racer
    i have ******* 5000mah 20c packs.. Now they have 5200mah 30c packs that i need to grab a couple of lol.. Solution to more expensive waterproof packs is a tube of silicone and cheap Lipos lol.. i do everything except drive mine under water and no problems. but then again the $19/pack price tag helps..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMWICKED
    But in short, minimal speed change, much longer run time.
    How is that? I thought mAh rating determines run time, regardless of battery type.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    How is that? I thought mAh rating determines run time, regardless of battery type.
    He means that with lipos you can get a higher mili amp hour so longer run times. You can get up to a 9000mah lipo for the summit. The biggest nimh is team orions 5100mah.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC poster
    Thanx for info!

Some people says that you get more speed beacuse of higher currentoutput on Lipos but maybe that is not true?
    Last edited by yamahafj; 01-30-2010 at 04:39 AM.

RC Racer
    The Lipos can deliver more current when the motor demands it, but this is really not the case with the Titan I guess. A brushless motor on the other side...demands higher amp draw.

However, what you would see with lipos is constant voltage during the discharge ie Nimhs drop sooner ....before they get empty; but lipos has a very
    "flat" voltage discharge curve.

Hope I did not mess up but keep asking I'm not claiming to be an expert.
    Stock Summit minus Tekin/2.4Ghz

RC Qualifier
    For the stock set-up here is your LVC.
    http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...-4S-SS&cat=206

RC Qualifier
    Here's a link to the 4S smart stop from Tower, Max Amps is more expensive then just about anywhere else and I'm all about saving a few bucks http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPGN1&P=V, you can also go the ebay route and save even more (search smart stop). I think you can even get a 4S lipo cut off from Hobby City if you go that route with your lipos.

RC Racer
    If you're at Tower get some stiffer springs for the rear
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...5649&search=Go
    Stock Summit minus Tekin/2.4Ghz

RC Racer
    I gave my mates Summit a run against my Summit a little while back. They were both stock. The only 2 differences were 1 was blue (mates), 1 was Yellow (Mine). My mate was running 2 x 8.4V nimh packs & i was using 2 x 2s lipo's. We had a race & he beat me because mine did a wheely off the line in 2nd gear which made me back off to stop it from flipping over & his did not. The topend speeds were very close to each other.

The only gains i see with Lipo's after the test was:
    1: More punch when you need it.
    2: Longer run times

Just my 2c worth

RC poster
    Interesting, Bug777!

I guess diffrent 8,4 NiMH-packs also gives diffrent amount of "power"?

RC Racer
    Correct. Also different LiPo packs wil give different speeds.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman65
    For the stock set-up here is your LVC.
    http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...-4S-SS&cat=206
    What is the best way to make this lvc waterproof/resistant? Putting the lipo's in balloons and zip tying the ends for the batteries...but how about this part? Pictures or a link would be very helpful..
    thanks

RC Qualifier
    Many of us have our SmartStops crammed into our receiver boxes.
    JRx2, Mini-Z, MRC, Summit, Slash, Revo VXL, etc.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by egnix
    Many of us have our SmartStops crammed into our receiver boxes.
    any idea why my blue led light does not light up on the 2s smartstop. i finally got it all wired in with the harness on the bec side. programmed it and the truck appears to be working as it should. i just ask, because my soldering skills just flat out suck. one more question, is there a way to "safely test" the cutoff? or do you simply test it the same way they do bulletproof glass- have somebody touch off a round at you from the other side..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mikef
    do you simply test it the same way they do bulletproof glass- have somebody touch off a round at you from the other side..
    I'm curious to your original question too..

As for the last part of it...
    I would prefer at least both of us be on the same side

RC Champion
    No need to really test the smart stop. If your truck works then it is correctly transfering the power through the smart stop from the esc. I run one 2s smartstop in my reciever box and it is completely waterproof. As for your blue led. It will not come on until you have reached low voltage. If you would like to test it though to see if it is working. Take two nihm batteries that aren't charge and hook them up. After a few seconds your led should start flashing and the truck will start stuttering.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

RC Enthusiast
    thanks, that sound like the word-for-word answer that i got from novak tech support... i just had to wait until they opened out there on the left coast.