Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Competitor

ANOTHER wonderful slash pe morning!!

ALRIGHTY AGAIN!!!---After losing a screw out of the bottom of my front c hub carrier a few days ago--finally made it to the hobby shop to get a new one and fixed it last night. Went to play a little this morning with my 3c and had a lovely thermal shut down after 5 minutes or so---this is with a 14 tooth pinion!! Man I love this truck!!!! Getting ready to go up for sale here. I can run 3s all day long in my stampede vxl and the motors gets warm, but totally touchable---5 mins in this piece and it is thermal shutdown----this thing is fun, but man it is really getting dissapointing that every time it gets run something happens---I think I am going to sell this thing and get a 1/8 scale electric buggy like the vorza.

RC Competitor
    I do not think this thing should be advertised as being able to run on 3s period--the truck and the electronics just cant handle it.

RC Competitor
    I feel you bro. I have the same problem. It is super annoying. I actually might sell the whole darn thing. I'm sure Traxxas doesn't care, they already got my money.
    Last edited by S/X Runner; 02-06-2010 at 12:01 PM.

RC Competitor
    I am thinking the same thing----vorza or an ofna 9e

RC Champion
    the problem is that they didnt come ready to run with a castle system in the box...every traxxas electric ive owned had motor and/or esc problems....i just swap em out now
    @ 80% for years?

RC Competitor
    I'm going to send in my ESC and motor and see what they do. If they replace it, I'm going to sell the combo.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetsports
    the problem is that they didnt come ready to run with a castle system in the box...every traxxas electric ive owned had motor and/or esc problems....i just swap em out now
    +1 on that!!! Just look at the 4x2 slash with the Titian 12T Burn those up in 5 min. Peeps need to realize running a brush-less motor with the max voltage take some consideration when driving. if you floor it from a dead stop you are gonna bend or break some part of the drive line sooner than later. Just like a real car if you floor it from a dead stop repeatedly you will damage the drive line and over heat the motor.

Ease onto the throttle and once you have momentum then hit it a little harder. There really is no reason to have the Velineon 3S full throttle unless you are doing speed runs, which causes alot of heat real fast. So just take it easy maintain your truck and you'll bond with the 4x4 tighter than ol'yeller and the boy.
    You're not too old if you're still having fun!

RC Competitor
    no way--the car should not be going into thermal shutdown after 5 minutes on 3s period geared with a 14 tooth pinion.

RC Champion
    do the traxxas mod....cover the whole truck in fan's lol
    @ 80% for years?

RC Competitor
    I am going to cover the whole truck in carboard and ship it to someone

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by siegelreptiles
    I am going to cover the whole truck in carboard and ship it to someone

HAHAHA....

I'll take it.....
    HK Brushless Summit!!!

RC Competitor
    $250 and its yours---pe --not too much use

RC Champion
    man i wish you would have posted this yesterday...lol
    @ 80% for years?

RC Racer
    if any of you guys what to trade for a merv go look at bigears car in the market and we could Work something out
    thanks
    there is no one word to discribe this hobby!!!!!:)

RC Competitor
    no way--the car should not be going into thermal shutdown after 5 minutes on 3s period geared with a 14 tooth pinion.
    I agree. Although, I am stock gearing (13/54) and it still does it about 6-7 minutes in.

RC Champion
    I'll take it for $250.

RC Competitor
    you pay the shipping---done deal healthy

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    If you don't want yours, I'll take it too! I won't run 3s though, well maybe. lol

RC Competitor
    alright? who wants it

RC Enthusiast
    You know the Velineon system is designed to go 3s Lipo, however this was all before the 4x4 Slash came out which is a much heavier, bulkier truck than any other vehicle they have put out previously. Perhaps Traxxas should have noted that using a 3s Lipo with the 4x4 isn't recommended. But if you feel you must sell it off because you can't run a 3s and go 60+ mph on the stock setup without overheating, perhaps the hobby isn't for you. Having been into R/C for 20+ years, if you wanna go insanely fast and have gobs of trouble free power, your always gonna have to step-up from a stock setup and spend some more money doing it. The Velineon is a great little brushless system, and Traxxas vehicles put out the best bang for your buck in the hobby, the Slash 4x4 is no exception. But, if you seriously want to be running 3s Lipos and going as fast as you possibly can with total durability and no issues, your going to have to step up to the MMM/Neu 2200kV or some other monster setup.

Personally, my 4x4 is plenty fast on a good 2s Lipo with a high C output rating, any faster and I'm just going to be replacing more parts sooner. You know I just dumped over $200 in the last two days on a new sensored motor and speed control and they both don't work. Being that they are electronic items, my LHS won't exchange or refund my money for them, so I gotta send them to the manufacturer in hopes they will fix them under warranty. Was I off, yup, was I going to sell off my truck and all my gear? No, it is how the hobby is, gotta pay to play sometimes.

Edited for Language
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-02-2010 at 09:57 PM.

RC Racer
    I can see guys getting annoyed with thermal shutdown on a 3S.

I will probably never run a 3S in mine. I just use a 2S for racing. Temps are fine with a 2S and 13/50 gearing and plenty fast on the track, But it obviously isn't 3s bashing fast. Mayby Traxxas should note that gearing should be changed to 12/54 or lower and temps checked regularly to run a 3S.
    VXL Amsoil 2WD Slash/ PE 4x4 Slash/ BL recoil

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigh95834
    You know the Velineon system is designed to go 3s Lipo, however this was all before the 4x4 Slash came out which is a much heavier, bulkier truck than any other vehicle they have put out previously. Perhaps Traxxas should have noted that using a 3s Lipo with the 4x4 isn't recommended. But if you feel you must sell it off because you can't run a 3s and go 60+ mph on the stock setup without overheating, perhaps the hobby isn't for you. Having been into R/C for 20+ years, if you wanna go insanely fast and have gobs of trouble free power, your always gonna have to step-up from a stock setup and spend some more money doing it. The Velineon is a great little brushless system, and Traxxas vehicles put out the best bang for your buck in the hobby, the Slash 4x4 is no exception. But, if you seriously want to be running 3s Lipos and going as fast as you possibly can with total durability and no issues, your going to have to step up to the MMM/Neu 2200kV or some other monster setup.

Personally, my 4x4 is plenty fast on a good 2s Lipo with a high C output rating, any faster and I'm just going to be replacing more parts sooner. You know I just dumped over $200 in the last two days on a new sensored motor and speed control and they both don't work. Being that they are electronic items, my LHS won't exchange or refund my money for them, so I gotta send them to the manufacturer in hopes they will fix them under warranty. Was I off, yup, was I going to sell off my truck and all my gear? No, it is how the hobby is, gotta pay to play sometimes.

Perhaps this hobby is not for me? Well having been in this hobby for well OVER 20 years I know durability and have had many traxxas products. For the price of buying a slash pe and then adding a good radio, you are right up in vorza territory. Electronics is only part of the durability issue with the slash 4x4----the truck is just not meant for 3s power or speed. Aside from thermal shutdowns there is also the issues of bending axles---screws just falling out, stripped spurs and plastic parts that are not holding well up to 3s running. I know these cars break---but stupid stuff breaking or rattling loose every run is just getting tiresome.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-02-2010 at 10:01 PM.

RC Qualifier
    My question is. To the guys getting thermal shutdown running on a 3s lipo, what does it do on a 2s? or even the stock batt? Is it something more than the truck just can't run on a 3s.

Ive read a lot of post and seen vids on youtube of people running a 3s on the stock system and it works fine.

Maybe you have more of an issue. Just my 2 cents.

RC Competitor
    yeah--gets hot on 2s, but have not had a thermal shutdown on 2s. Hard to go back to 2s once you play with 3s. Again--I am not a racer--I am a basher. For the racers, I am sure these things are solid with the 2s. Its a shame too as I was sold on the veleneon system after having zero issues in my stampede for almost 2 years , but if you feel the trans on the stampede it is so much smoother and has so much less friction than the 4x4 slash. I have never owned 2wd slash, but I am sure it is the same as the stampede in durability.
    Last edited by siegelreptiles; 02-06-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Has something to do with the weather too you know. Colder weather means less overheating....most of the time. lol

RC Competitor
    I have had many different rc's and they all have weakness's. So do what you want at least we won't have you complaining here. I have seen better esc. and motors burn up. A fan would help with the the thermal shut down.
    Last edited by slash_48; 02-06-2010 at 06:06 PM.

To the gentlemen having thermal issues: Have you checked your bearings?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by slash_48
    I have had many different rc's and they all have weakness's. So do what you want at least we won't have you complaining here. I have seen better esc. and motors burn up. A fan would help with the the thermal shut down.

wont have me complaining around here? What are you some traxxas fanboy that can take anyone talking bad about the slash 4x4? Give me a break dude. Its a forum--people trade thoughts and ideas on here---dont cry about it.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl
    To the gentlemen having thermal issues: Have you checked your bearings?
    Yes--ripped it all apart---did replace one that was not very smooth.

RC Competitor
    Who's crying? I don't complain about any of my rc's and I own quite a few different brands.

Settle down guys. Try inspecting some of the moving parts that could contribute to the overheating of your s4.

RC Competitor
    Yeah carbon--moves out pretty smoothly. Seems to be a common problem with people running 3s batteries for more than a few minutes

RC Champion
    I have ran mine on 3s alot with outside temps around 40F with no issues at all. The only way I got to thermal (which it never did) was with the 18T pinion. With the 13T pinion, I haven't gotten over 160F. A person shouldn't be scared to run a 3s at all. Surely you have a bearing problem or something. The only thing I have had issues with are the diff outputs and slider shafts but that is from big tires and a tight slipper. After having fun with a 3s, I won't be able to run a 2s and have fun.
    I mean come on, a new truck with stock parts, crap happens. Figure it out and move on. If you sell the truck, you might regret it in a few months when more is known about it and mods keep coming up.
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

RC Racer
    If the VXL in the 4x4 is stated to run 3s...then IMHO it should run 3s out of the box with zero issues......

RC Competitor
    could not have said it better myself Jammin.

My first traxxas model was a hawk then a sledgehammer, so I am not traxxas hating, just slash pe vxl hating!!

lol. If you're havintg a problem with it, I would be doing the same thing. You just have to find a way, and believe me, there is a way to get through the hate. lol.

RC Qualifier
    I went over my trucks top to bottom before I ran either of them. I am from the days of building TAMIYA kits....

I like knowing everything is tight and all fluids are filled which is what I did. I lock-tighted all the alum parts and I have had zero issues with lost screws...

I also dumped the VXLs in both of my PEs... I have two beasts now.......

If you upset about it, sell it. But every truck has it issues...you will be sorry
    Three Summits

Great point milkman. You sell something because of it's flaws, and then later you're gonna regret it and miss the actual pros about it.

RC Enthusiast
    Agreed 1000% Milkman and Carbonrevo33. Every car I have every owned has had a weakness of some kind. I have never had a stock vehicle that was perfect out of the box.

Its a shame too as I was sold on the veleneon system after having zero issues in my stampede for almost 2 years , but if you feel the trans on the stampede it is so much smoother and has so much less friction than the 4x4 slash. I have never owned 2wd slash, but I am sure it is the same as the stampede in durability.
    Your comparing a 2wd to a 4wd. The 4x4 drivetrain has twice as much if not more resistance than a 2wd like the Stampede. Of course it isn't going to be as smooth. And that is why the Velineon is overheating on a 3s.

As for the other durability issues, yes I am only running 2s Lipo and I am only running at the track, but I've topsided some huge jumps, tagged a pole coming off a jump, taken multiple hard crashes and I have only bent one rear axle and destroyed the stock body. That's it. I do have a 2wd Slash also. Will I say the 4wd is as strong as the 2wd? No, but its pretty darn close in my opinion. I don't expect it to be as tough though. It is a totally different vehicle being a 4wd with more working parts and therefore more things to go wrong. It is though the most durable 4x4 I've ever owned so I just don't understand how someone can be so disappointed in the 4x4 to want to sell it.
    Last edited by Craigh95834; 02-06-2010 at 09:49 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigh95834
    Traxxas should not have recommended use of the 4x4 Slash with 3s Lipos though if they are overheating.

I think thats part of the complaint here. If its said to handle 3s then it should without an issue... I know I would expect it to... and I wouldnt be happy if it didnt.... Easy way to fix the overheating issue is to switch to a different ESC/Motor combo and have a beast of a new breed. That is if everything in the drivetrain is working smoothly....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast