Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by majestic
    Just remember attitude goes a long way. When calling a company for a free part not covered by a warranty its their call if they choose to send the part. If you call joking and in a good mood, most places will sent you what you need. If you call telling them how much you paid for it etc they wouldn't be as likely to send parts. You are not ENTITLED to free parts because you spent X amount of dollars.
    I agree 100%!!!! The problem is when they mislead you into spending you money, Ten when you call with a prob they laugh and joke like your friends , but in the end just stab you in the back. That is when i belive you have the right to voice your opinion. Its usualy about when a element startes to get to big for its self, and forgets how and why it got to be so big and well liked.

RC Champion
    you're overgeared. The truck is geared for 2s out of the box. Go down to an 11t pinion, and WOW! NO overheating. jeez, it's not that hard!
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by siegelreptiles
    I am going to cover the whole truck in carboard and ship it to someone
    lolololololololololololololololololololol

RC Competitor
    Moose

how do you like your ve8? Any issues with it?

RC Qualifier
    I’m writing this for the benefit of readers of all skill levels who visit this thread. Don’t feel insulted if you’re an experienced R/C guy and I cover some stuff you already know!

The Slash 4X4 and its Velineon brushless system are designed to operate reliably with 3S LiPo packs. But like any power system (brushed, brushless, or even nitro) it can be overloaded if overgeared, or operated in high-load conditions—even with proper gearing, and especially if over-geared.

Let’s talk gearing first. Out of the box, the Slash 4X4 (RTR, Platinum, and Ultimate) is geared at 13/54. This gearing is recommended for most running, with 6- or 7-cell NiMh packs as well as 2S LiPo packs.

Note that “most running” covers the driveway, R/C tracks, BMX tracks, hard-packed dirt, trails in the woods…basically conditions that allow the truck to roll easily. If you’re climbing hills, running in mud or sand, or running on grass, you will be putting significantly more load on the power system. Briefly running in these conditions with the stock gearing is OK, but if you’re running the entire pack in a high-load environment, the speed control could thermal.

Even if you’re running on smooth pavement, you can overload the power system (any system, not just Traxxas’) if you perform repeated hard accelerations (again and again and again, without letting the truck build speed and “stretch its legs), or slam the truck from forward to reverse over and over again. Abusive driving like this will lead to thermaling regardless of gearing or operating conditions.

The Slash 4X4 also includes a “speed gear,” an 18T pinion that is provided for high-speed running on smooth surfaces. This gear is not recommended for off-road use or repetitive starting and stopping. So, if you’ve installed this gear and are using it for general play driving, and you’re having overheating issues with any type of battery, there’s your problem. Use the standard 13T pinion.

Now for 3S running. The stock gearing (13/54) can be used, and you will experience top speeds of around 45mph with this gearing on a 3S LiPo. If you’re running in an open area where you can let the truck reach its top speed, or close to it, it will be fine and you shouldn’t have thermal issues. However, if you’re in a smaller area, and you’re grabbing a big fistful of trigger everytime to get that 3S power rush, but you have to jump on the brakes just as quickly because you’re out of straightaway—and you keep doing that over and over—the speed control could thermal. Likewise, high-drag surfaces will cause the power system to reach higher temps, and reach those temps more quickly. Running a 3S pack is like running the high-speed pinion: you really should save it for high-speed running, not general play. If 3S is the way you plan to run your 4X4 most often, I suggest going to a 12T or 11T pinion (you’ll need to pop the endcap off the motor to set the mesh properly). The optional cooling fan (3340) is also a good ounce of prevention.

If you run any brushless system at the top of its maximum rated input voltage, you’ll have less of a “buffer” against thermaling. Be sure to use appropriate gearing, and be cautious to avoid abusive driving and high-drag conditions.

RC Qualifier
    ...and when in doubt, you can always call 888-TRAXXAS (888-872-9927).

RC Champion
    Thanks for the clarification PeterV. With all of the questions about 3s lately and people saying 3s doesn't work, not to mention the supposed statement from Maxamps, any chance you could post that again in it's own thread and sticky it?
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    I called MaxAmps as a customer and asked if there was any problem running their 3S packs in the Slash 4X4, and I was told it was no problem. If you can direct me to the statement, I'll be happy to address it.

RC Champion
    It was posted here by someone else the other day but the thread was deleted. I can't remember the member name of who posted it. He can tell you where he found it. If you can see deleted threads it had your name in the thread title, as he was asking for you to comment.

Edit: I havn't seen anything where they actually said it, only people repeating it on different forums.
    Last edited by RobWilJas; 02-19-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Competitor
    if its not overheating, something else breaks every use--done with this one--time to go! Slash vxl --two bodies-stock a little beat up-emaxx ford body in much better shape-no radio--make me an offer via pm--I do have sale pending already

RC Racer
    It is odd how many people attack you for not LOVING Lithium setups.

Yet, post after post after post are issues using Lithiums.

To the guy who made this thread, use Nimh....go slower and never have a problem again.

RC Competitor

nimh

Have you ever tried going from lipo to nimh---pretty hard to do

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by streetsports
    do the traxxas mod....cover the whole truck in fan's lol
    LOL. That is so true... +1 on that... Cheaper than buying a better motor...
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Slash 4x4
    Losi MRC

RC Qualifier
    I've ONLY ran my PE on 3S lipo. So far my biggest problem has been controlling it and not breaking stuff. lol

It does get pretty hot though on 3s. After running the 3s down the temps were as follows:

Battery: 90
    ESC: 145
    Motor: 190

lol...That was stock everything on the PE with the center diff installed too.
    Slash MMP 4600kv
    Slash VXL

RC Competitor
    I am stationed in Tacoma, WA but am currently deployed in Iraq.
    In the military we say what is called "shooters preference!" In other words use what is most practical for how you operate. whether it be LIPO 3S, 2S, NiMH. The truck has great potential. Would it had made a differance in your decission to buy it if it only stated 2S? Or was the 3S the selling point because if you want an Electric 4X4 for insane power then maybe, Just maybe you should have bought an ERBE. Just saying!!!!

I learned early as a child that when you stick your finger in the electrical outlet you get shocked....I stopped sticking my finger in the outlet.
    DOC ANELLO
    Medic
    SSG USA

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterV
    I’m writing this for the benefit of readers of all skill levels who visit this thread. Don’t feel insulted if you’re an experienced R/C guy and I cover some stuff you already know!

The Slash 4X4 and its Velineon brushless system are designed to operate reliably with 3S LiPo packs. But like any power system (brushed, brushless, or even nitro) it can be overloaded if overgeared, or operated in high-load conditions—even with proper gearing, and especially if over-geared.

Let’s talk gearing first. Out of the box, the Slash 4X4 (RTR, Platinum, and Ultimate) is geared at 13/54. This gearing is recommended for most running, with 6- or 7-cell NiMh packs as well as 2S LiPo packs.

Note that “most running” covers the driveway, R/C tracks, BMX tracks, hard-packed dirt, trails in the woods…basically conditions that allow the truck to roll easily. If you’re climbing hills, running in mud or sand, or running on grass, you will be putting significantly more load on the power system. Briefly running in these conditions with the stock gearing is OK, but if you’re running the entire pack in a high-load environment, the speed control could thermal.

Even if you’re running on smooth pavement, you can overload the power system (any system, not just Traxxas’) if you perform repeated hard accelerations (again and again and again, without letting the truck build speed and “stretch its legs), or slam the truck from forward to reverse over and over again. Abusive driving like this will lead to thermaling regardless of gearing or operating conditions.

The Slash 4X4 also includes a “speed gear,” an 18T pinion that is provided for high-speed running on smooth surfaces. This gear is not recommended for off-road use or repetitive starting and stopping. So, if you’ve installed this gear and are using it for general play driving, and you’re having overheating issues with any type of battery, there’s your problem. Use the standard 13T pinion.

Now for 3S running. The stock gearing (13/54) can be used, and you will experience top speeds of around 45mph with this gearing on a 3S LiPo. If you’re running in an open area where you can let the truck reach its top speed, or close to it, it will be fine and you shouldn’t have thermal issues. However, if you’re in a smaller area, and you’re grabbing a big fistful of trigger everytime to get that 3S power rush, but you have to jump on the brakes just as quickly because you’re out of straightaway—and you keep doing that over and over—the speed control could thermal. Likewise, high-drag surfaces will cause the power system to reach higher temps, and reach those temps more quickly. Running a 3S pack is like running the high-speed pinion: you really should save it for high-speed running, not general play. If 3S is the way you plan to run your 4X4 most often, I suggest going to a 12T or 11T pinion (you’ll need to pop the endcap off the motor to set the mesh properly). The optional cooling fan (3340) is also a good ounce of prevention.

If you run any brushless system at the top of its maximum rated input voltage, you’ll have less of a “buffer” against thermaling. Be sure to use appropriate gearing, and be cautious to avoid abusive driving and high-drag conditions.
    Very well said. Reading this thread was depressing. LOL
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now

RC Qualifier
    Seems like the OP intent is to troll the Traxxas brand. I will continue to enjoy running 4+ packs a day in my Slash 4x4 and entire days at the track
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Qualifier
    Whats OP??
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadRC86
    Whats OP??
    Original Poster
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dtnel
    I'm surprised the thread hasn't been shut down, and a FYI, trolling can get you warning points.
    What is trolling...?
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Competitor
    trolling?? Dude--what was your first traxxas??? Mine was the hawk. Have you even heard of the hawk? I have been buying traxxxas since they came out so dont go there with a stupid trolling comment. I am an rc enthusiast and have been for a long time--this is a forum to share information--fact is--the slash 4x4 is fun, but definately has alot of weaknesses. Oh well--Im selling mine, and I think I will buy a 2wd slash.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dtnel
    a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]
    Thank you very much.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Competitor
    actually a troll would be somebody who was a die hard hpi enthusiast coming in here and saying---"oh--the blitz is so much better then the slash"

that is a troll---I am a traxxas customer and supporter for many years--I have purchased probably 20 traxxas kits--if anyone is allowed to talk smack about a traxxas kit, its me. Sometimes you just got to vent.

RC Competitor
    This is just my opinion on the Slash 4x4. I have 3 Traxxas products a Revo 3.3, Jato 3.3 and the Slash 4x4. Out of the 3 the Slash wins in the fun factor, and reliability department. Compared to the Revo my Slash has been holding up unbelievably great. Now I beat this thing ( as with all my rc'c) like they owe me money and I have broke but replaced the parts with upgrades ( mainly axel carriers) and I broke once and that is on me with driver error. Just to let you guys know Slash's don't like railroad ties. As far as batteries I run the stock nimh that came with the truck and a 4600 nimh and am looking to get a 3s lipo next week. I have not heard anyone with overheating issues. From what I read from the Traxxas employee post is that these overheating issues are from misuse. I am glad I read that cause I misuse these things. I was there with the Revo looking to sell it anyone that wanted that truck called it every name in the book kicked it around the garage just because and then I talked personally to Steve Slayden at I hobby in rosemont Illinois and got a lot of good pointers that I was ignorant to and like magic my Revo is pretty much flawless. So dont give up on this machine cause you will have the same problems with all your stuff if you dont sit back and look at What are you doing wrong and What can prevent this from happening again. Its a hard pill to swallow but you got to do it.
    For Bashers,By Bashers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123