RC Qualifier

Question Brushed motor general questions

I hope this hasn't been covered before and I missed it but here goes. I just bought my son an older model Pede. I like the idea of brushed motors for him for the time being because he is 7. ( he has driven my erbe before and gave a new meaning to drive it like you stole it ).
    What I am interested in is:

1) What are good gearing ratios for moderate speed?

2) What are good brushed motors that it can be upgraded to?
    ( links would deff. be appreciated )

After a year or so I will probably transition to brushless but I need to get him started safely and this is IMO the best option.

I know nitro and brushless inside and out but have to admit I am outta my element with brushed.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by justinjmoravec
    After a year or so I will probably transition to brushless but I need to get him started safely and this is IMO the best option.
    If you have the VXL ESC you could get him the BL motor to go with it and run the system in "training mode," and this should be plenty sedate for a 7 year old. Kids learn quick, and get used to the speed just as fast, and I suspect that it won't be long before he's ready for more power. I'd suggest you forget the brushed system, and just buy the one BL setup and be done with it. Since you're familiar with BL systems, you know the advantages they offer and, imo, there's no sense in messing with a brushed system when, ultimatley, you're just going to replace it at some point anyhow.
    Just my 2.
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^^+1 !!!!!
    \backslash bl
    with wide conversion

xxx-t bl

RC Champion
    That's good advice.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Racer
    I Was Thinking The Same Thing.....
    DAVE TRAXEL

RC Racer
    That's too true. My 4 yr old can handle a 7-cell 4500mah Nimh battery in training mode no problem. We have a waterproof VXL pede.

In training mode with that battery it won't wheelie, and you can turn hard at full speed in grass without it rolling.

AND training mode = longer battery life

RC Qualifier
    fair enough, but i have 2 kids which means i will be buying my other son one soon enough and then i will have to upgrade to 2 VXL systems. (unless i buy a brushless already then i only have to upgrade to 1 vxl )

RC Racer
    I found mine on craigslist with the 7-Cell and no charger for $185. It took a couple weeks of looking, but the deals are out there.

RC Qualifier
    since the upgrade to brushless will be inevitable, what other brushless setups are there besides the traxxas velinion system?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Castles sidewinder seems to be very popular. Its well priced also. Theres the novak sport system which, from what I understand wont give you the performance of a VXL but is priced very competitively. Of course, if cost is a huge consideration theres always the EZRUN systems. I believe Hobby King sells them but I know for sure you can get them on e-bay. I think they're like $80 shipped. Most agree you get what you pay for but some say the EZRUN systems are excellent. Just a few options I know of.
    I think, if you know your going to go brushless with at least one of the trucks at some point, just get a VXL pede to start and be done with it. Then you get the other upgrades the VXL comes with like adjustable turnbuckles, wheel bearings and a wheelie bar. Things you may want to add later anyway.

RC Qualifier
    true. my boys have seen me and my friend do some insane bashing and crashing with our erbes and i personally cant afford to be replacing my stuff and theirs as well. but its gonna happen regardless. anyone want to borrow that black hole that surrounds my wallet everytime I mention RC's anymore.

Once you add a couple extras like aluminum casters and rpm arms and shock towers, and rpm front bumper. The pede can darn near take on anything and still drive away. If you can find a used one with some of these upgrades then that is even better.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TAT2
    If you have the VXL ESC you could get him the BL motor to go with it and run the system in "training mode," and this should be plenty sedate for a 7 year old. Kids learn quick, and get used to the speed just as fast, and I suspect that it won't be long before he's ready for more power. I'd suggest you forget the brushed system, and just buy the one BL setup and be done with it. Since you're familiar with BL systems, you know the advantages they offer and, imo, there's no sense in messing with a brushed system when, ultimatley, you're just going to replace it at some point anyhow.
    Just my 2.
    2 weeks ago I bought my son an xl5 pede for his 7th birthday. 3 days ago, he said his was too slow and he wants it to go as fast as my vxl. I let him drive it and he did fine in the front yard, street, and driveway. We have a lot of trees, cars, etc all over the place and he didn't even make me nervous. It really is unbelievable how quick they learn. My 4 year old son started to drive my older xl-1 rustler at the same time that my 7 year old got the new one and my 4 year old handles his fine too. The only problem he has is with breaking because his finger isn't long enough to push the trigger foreward :-)