Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Fastlane Machine comes through!!

They now have CVDs for the 4x4 WOOHOO! Mine will be here Friday....we'll see if they are the cure for bent axles.

RC Qualifier
    Those have same part number as the slash 2wd, you may have to cut down the Out drive Cups still
    Slash 2x4, Slash 4X4
    Oggie

RC Champion
    I have been running the 2wd FLM CVD's on the rear of my 4x4 for about 3 weeks now and they work great!
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by round
    I have been running the 2wd FLM CVD's on the rear of my 4x4 for about 3 weeks now and they work great!
    Did you have to cut the Out drive Cups ? will they fit the front too ?
    Slash 2x4, Slash 4X4
    Oggie

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OGGIE
    Those have same part number as the slash 2wd, you may have to cut down the Out drive Cups still
    You're right :/ but I hope they are different. Jamie said he just added those to the site on Sat...It would be nice if they mount up without mods. I'll post up when I put em on.

RC Qualifier
    Cool keep us posted
    Slash 2x4, Slash 4X4
    Oggie

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by OGGIE
    Did you have to cut the Out drive Cups ? will they fit the front too ?
    Did not have to cut the drive cups. Did not try on the front, however thay are not needed on the front either. I am running 5in tall MT tires and they are holding up great. Only thing I had to trim was the aluminum hub carriers on the PE.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by round
    Did not have to cut the drive cups. Did not try on the front, however thay are not needed on the front either. I am running 5in tall MT tires and they are holding up great. Only thing I had to trim was the aluminum hub carriers on the PE.
    Cool haven't run mine yet waiting for lipo's to get here, wasn't sure if would need for front or not. Thanks !
    Slash 2x4, Slash 4X4
    Oggie

RC Enthusiast
    I have one slightly bent front axle, so I think I would like these all the way around.

RC Enthusiast
    Any picutres, links?

RC poster
    Are these the mip axles? if they are I need to cut mine down, they are rubbing on the dogbone. Also I race at mikes in texas and went there and ran all day mon. I did bend the right axle. I don't think this is the fix. I do run hard and over jump the jumps just a little. I don't think these should have bent. I am running the aluminum hub carries though.

1airborne
    Last edited by 1airborne; 02-10-2010 at 05:54 AM.

RC poster
    I spoke to them on monday and they said they should have front axles out by the weekend. I am ordering both when they are available.

RC Qualifier
    Slash 2x4, Slash 4X4
    Oggie

RC Qualifier
    So just to be clear, these don't fit the PE without modification?
    Time is an illusion, "9am sharp" doubly so.

RC Champion
    where did you see them for actual sale?
    @ 80% for years?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefisherking
    So just to be clear, these don't fit the PE without modification?
    These ARE different from the 2wd ones so maybe not. I can't say for sure.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Qualifier
    Are these just for the rear? Or are they suppost to fit the front as well? I think they would sell all 4 together if they fit all the way around without mods.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti as3
    They now have CVDs for the 4x4 WOOHOO! Mine will be here Friday....we'll see if they are the cure for bent axles.

where did you order them from?
    @ 80% for years?

RC Qualifier
    Fastlanemachine.net

As Ed701 stated, they should have fronts maybe this weekend.

RC Qualifier

update

Here's the deal. In stock trim the Fastlane CVDs bolt on to the 4x4 and work fine. They are NOT the same as the 2wd set. If you change shock positions for more travel you may run into the CVDs limitations.
    BUT...on their future kits they have made the cup adjustable to utilize full travel without any problems. I did not get the new cups...1) because I need them this weekend 2) I am sitting lower than stock 3) it was going to be a couple days for the new cups.
    Again...I will post up when I get them on this weekend

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for that clarification...

What is the difference (if any) if you are running them with the PE's alloy bits?

RC Qualifier
    Yes, I will be running them with all the PE goodies.

RC Champion
    so it will work with the PE with no mods? but if i am doing the MT build and i jack up my slash 4x4 it will have problems?
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slash
    so it will work with the PE with no mods? but if i am doing the MT build and i jack up my slash 4x4 it will have problems?
    That is where I ran into problems with the 2wd ones. I had to slightly limit my suspension travel, but it worked out ok.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Qualifier
    You may want to give them a call. If I understood correctly, the new cups are supposed to allow you to raise the ride height without binding.
    I will install them Sat night unless I get them today (Fri)

RC Racer
    Those look pretty nice. I lifetime warranty against breakage!! That's bold!
    VXL Amsoil 2WD Slash/ PE 4x4 Slash/ BL recoil

RC Champion
    You may want to give them a call. If I understood correctly, the new cups are supposed to allow you to raise the ride height without binding.
    I will install them Sat night unless I get them today (Fri)
    when you get them could you test them and see if thy work with the ride hight jacked up all the way?

thanks
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    Thought you guys might be interested to know that I dropped a question to fastlane about using these with the PE hardware, and got an encouraging response from Jamie:

Q: Just wanted to check - Does your "FLM26315 Stock Arm CVD Kit" for the Slash work fine on the Platinum Edition Slash (i.e. with the alloy hub carriers etc.)?

A: I am not sure why it wouldn't. I do not have the Platinum Edition, but I am certain they did not redesign the bearing carrier any different from the stock piece. The kit we have now is for the rear, we will have the cvd kit for the front available early next week.

RC Qualifier
    OK...here's the deal. Mounted the CVDs up and ran them. Fastlane has NEW drive cups which I did not get because I had to race this weekend. They are supposed to clear if you want more suspension travel. I will try these out soon. That being said, on the PE w/alum goodies with stock shock positions there is no interference when the susp is compressed straight down. However, if you land on one side and use full travel of that wheel (not hitting the skid plate) it will bind. I modified mine to work for me. *NOTE* The NEW drive cups should fix this! Again, I didn't opt to get these. If you run the shock out 1 position on the a-arm the CVDs will work fine out of the box.

ON TO DURABILITY!!!!
    1 word...awesome! I know for a fact that I would have bent at least 2 stock axles yesterday at practice and the FLM CVDs came out as straight as the day I put them on. I'm thoroughly impressed....and I'm picky.

RC Qualifier
    when you get them could you test them and see if thy work with the ride hight jacked up all the way?

thanks
    I don't know about the new drive cups but the standard cups I got will not work on a jacked up setup.

RC Qualifier
    OK...here's the deal. Mounted the CVDs up and ran them. Fastlane has NEW drive cups which I did not get because I had to race this weekend. They are supposed to clear if you want more suspension travel. I will try these out soon. That being said, on the PE w/alum goodies with stock shock positions there is no interference when the susp is compressed straight down. However, if you land on one side and use full travel of that wheel (not hitting the skid plate) it will bind. I modified mine to work for me. *NOTE* The NEW drive cups should fix this! Again, I didn't opt to get these. If you run the shock out 1 position on the a-arm the CVDs will work fine out of the box.

ON TO DURABILITY!!!!
    1 word...awesome! I know for a fact that I would have bent at least 2 stock axles yesterday at practice and the FLM CVDs came out as straight as the day I put them on. I'm thoroughly impressed....and I'm picky.
    Sold!

Thanks very much for the report - really helpful

RC Qualifier
    BTW....I took about .06 off the end of the cup then went in with the dremmel and a carbide burr to reshape the cone. I slipped them on, checked clearance, ground more,check and so on. It took about 40min. Because I am a machinist and we work with tight tolerances,everything I do has to be done right...so stuff takes me a long time lol.

RC Champion
    BTW....I took about .06 off the end of the cup then went in with the dremmel and a carbide burr to reshape the cone. I slipped them on, checked clearance, ground more,check and so on. It took about 40min. Because I am a machinist and we work with tight tolerances,everything I do has to be done right...so stuff takes me a long time lol.
    but you got the 4x4 cvds right and if you did y are you doing mods when thy should just slip right on if thy made them for it
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Racer
    im def gettin the new designs once they come out!!! now i cant wait, no more bent axles, and tryin to straighten my wheels out before i drop it on the track!!!
    im goin big, then goin home

RC Qualifier
    but you got the 4x4 cvds right and if you did y are you doing mods when thy should just slip right on if thy made them for it
    Read my post 4 up from your last post.

RC Qualifier
    I bought a set of these for my old 2wd that was constantly destroying shafts, the FLM CVD's worked awesome in the 2wd.

But so far I haven't seen a need for them in the 4wd, even on 3s the shafts do not show any sign of breaking, they're not even twisted or stretched at all.

RC poster
    I can say these axles from FLM are awesome!! I abused them this weekend and they worked great! Looking forward to ordering the fronts.
    How fast is too fast?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by markturbo
    I bought a set of these for my old 2wd that was constantly destroying shafts, the FLM CVD's worked awesome in the 2wd.

But so far I haven't seen a need for them in the 4wd, even on 3s the shafts do not show any sign of breaking, they're not even twisted or stretched at all.
    Do a search for "axles." I think you will see the need for an axle solution is pretty apparent. The drive shafts alone may not be the weak link, but the fact that FLM CVDs come with hardened axles is very appealing to the masses that have bent or broken several. I hope this helps you see the need.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    Do a search for "axles." I think you will see the need for an axle solution is pretty apparent. The drive shafts alone may not be the weak link, but the fact that FLM CVDs come with hardened axles is very appealing to the masses that have bent or broken several. I hope this helps you see the need.
    I'll have to disagree as I've run only with 3s and have not broken or bent a stock driveshaft neither. Just check out most of the join dates of the complaints of broken driveshafts and you'll see most of them are newbies. Keep reading... What do you expect from a brushless system you might want to say but the truth is most of these bent or broken axles are the result of the controller. Just pulling back on the trigger from a dead stop position (WOT) will always prove to be fatal to your drivetrain. I always pull slighty on the trigger when the car is at a dead stop and once the car is rolling then I pull harder on the trigger and still my trigger is not slammed all the way back until the drivetrain is ready for WOT. Now for those of us that drive stick/standard cars do you slam all the way down on the gas in 1st gear from a dead stop, NO you probably don't because you don't want to pay the mechanic for an expensive clutch repair. Come on guys your RC car really is not that much different, If a machine (car or other heavy machinery) that cost in some cases cost 30x as much as your RC and it can't handle operator abuse without costly repairs did you expect your RC car to be able to hande operator abuse that only cast a fraction of that Please don't get me wrong I too will order a steel pair of CVD's but it's more of a worry free factor for me than a need factor. You really don't need it if you know how to control your trigger finger
    Last edited by KingdomRacer; 02-15-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    JESUS says: "Fix it B4 it Breaks!"

RC Enthusiast
    I'm happy for you that you've not bent any axles. However, the fact that you, and several others have not bent any axles does not negate the number of those that have. I'm sure there are several contributing factors to the axle problems--driver error, poor suspension set-up, and many other unfortunate circumstances--but I think we're getting to the same point: The CVD setup is a generally worry-free set-up that can take much more abuse.

So congratulations on your excellent r/c driving record and exceeding expetise, but saying you have no need for these does not disprove the statistics that many have demonstrated a need. The point of the original thread was to highlight a particularly good addition to the Slash 4x4 aftermarket. I'm sure the FLM marketing department agrees with my informal assessment of the statistics and will probably sell quite a few of these.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast