RC Champion

Update: Slash 4x4 monster OR ERBE... more variables :)

I posted about a week or so back asking those who have an ERBE and a slash 4x4 which is more versatile.

Here are the cliff notes...I want a monster truck I can do a bit of play crawling and high speed bashing but then slam it down on street tires and tear up the street with 50+mph speed runs.

So...I have done some more research... If I were to get the slash 4x I would have it set up as follows:
    -Novak HV motor (not sure which wind...maybe the 6.5?) I would probably solely run it on 3s paired with an MMpro esc (since the novak HV is decidedly garabage)
    -5 inch tall tires (not sure which tread design..maybe m2k's stretched on 30 series rims or some swamp dawgs)
    -CVD's in rear (possibly front if need be) to hold up to the stress of the larger BL and tires
    -Losi 8 shocks and mod the arms a bit to get a bit of extra travel to utilize the slightly longer shocks.

OR... an erevo with the MMM/2250 combo. I have 3s packs already but would probably buy 2s packs for bashing and save the 3s for the street setup.

I think both would be about equal as an on road setup (slight nod to the 4x4 as it is lighter and probably more tossable) and the erbe obviously wins the offroad capability contest.

Technically the 4x4 would be better at low speed crawling stuff as it would be sensored where as the MMM/2250 in the erbe would not be quite as smooth (not that ive heard it cogs much) BUT of course the suspension/tires on the ERBE will allow it to go up/over a lot rougher terrain.

So... with the above info...for those of you who own (or at least have driven) an erbe and a slash 4x4...which would you choose?
    Last edited by needapeed; 02-09-2010 at 10:32 PM.

RC Competitor
    I got both. They are very different vehicles.

The ERBE is much heavier + bigger. You can feel it when you drive it.

I can't seem to get much traction with my Slash 4x4 's rear end.

You won't be disappointed with either one though. slash will be much cheaper I think

RC Qualifier
    Own both and would have to say that the Revo is by far the most versatile machine I have owned, and with what you have in mind the Revo can do everything a 4x4 can, but can the 4x4 do everything that the Revo can do.

You talk of crawling, how do you expect to do that with the 4x4, look up the Jang he made something close, but I can crawl way better with my Revo. Since I waterproofed the MMM it goes anywhere, rather slow or fast.

Then if you decide to race boom, a few tweaks in the suspension and a set of wheels and you got yourself a borderline truggy.
    ENJOY the hobby, don't HATE it.

RC Champion
    well figure 250 4x4 roller + 175 or so for MMpro/novak HV motor. Thats 425.

I can get a pretty nice erbe used off the bay for 400. For pretty much the same price truck would be used but would be a lot more truck for the money.

Hmmm I think erbe is probably the way to go. I do miss the HUGE suspension travel of the long travel rockers when I had my 2.5 e-revo back in the day...that thing would climb over anything! Then slam on some p1's (I think thats what they were) and it was pretty much on rails.
    Last edited by needapeed; 02-09-2010 at 11:32 PM.

RC Racer
    I've had both. I bought the erbe last summer and I still have it now. Bought the Slash PE for Christmas and sold the Slash on craigslist two weeks ago. The slash just broke every single time I drove it. The thing is I wasn't even bashing it yet, just test driving it because the weather is not all that good for bashing yet. If I were you, I would go for the erbe. When you have the erbe, you look down at people with the slash and people with slash look up to you. You have to spend some money on some really good Lipos though, because 8th scale brushless system need a lot of current.

RC Champion
    Your post sold me... I need a RELIABLE truck and while I figured the lighter weight simpler design would outlast the revo design I have been reading its the exact opposite!

Ironically I just puffed one of my 3s packs (cheapies...20c ebay red packs from like two years ago) Gives me a good reason to go lipo shopping.

I will probably just run the ******* or ***** packs as I am trying to keep my total investment on the lower end. I figure two 2s and two 3s should keep my busy. I dont have that much time to work on/run the truck anyway so two sets @ 20-40 mins each should be good.

What capacity 3s fits in the revo box? And how about cap for the 2s? I was thinking people were stuffing 3s 5000 and 2s 8000's in depending on brand and exact dimensions of varying packs?

RC Champion
    I sold my ERBE before I bought my 4x4 Slashes. I converted my 4x4 to a MT and would not even consider goin bace to a ERBE. 100% more reliable and durable! Slash 4x4MT barnone!
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Champion
    erbe unless you wanna race on an indoor or small outdoor track...then i say 4x4
    @ 80% for years?

RC Champion
    I sold my ERBE and bought a Slash 4x4 and Slash 2wd with VXL, couldn't be happier.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.