Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

i know why the axles are bending..

so i was shimming up my pe today when i noticed that the bearings have tons of slop inside the aluminum carriers...along with not being properly shimmed from the factory i bet this is the problem....defected parts that werent milled within a tight tolerance at all....almost looks like they eyeballed it or are using dull tooling....$500 bucks a pop should afford some new tooling traxxas...stop being lazy on the production just so you can put more model's out....people buy from you for quality cars that are rtr for the avg user....not because you make a new model every other month....

my 2 cents
    Last edited by streetsports; 02-10-2010 at 07:05 PM.
    @ 80% for years?

RC Qualifier
    I notice that a while ago, I didn't think that would make the axles bend though.
    Slash 4x4 RTR
    Platinum Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    ya i don't think this would do it
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Enthusiast
    I think its probably the big hole drilled through the middle of it. Actually, all this speculation would be put to rest if someone would produce good hardened steel replacements, or even better, some titanium pieces.

RC Enthusiast
    the axles are not bending because of bearings or the hole .....the bending of the axles has to do with alot of things but not those two. upwheel travel, oil wt, and the driver skill are some of the reasons.

RC Qualifier
    My rustler aluminum carrier from Traxxas, witch are the same as Slash 4x4 rear carrier don't have any slop in bearing. Actually bearing are a tight fit in the carrier and I must push them out using a screw driver from the other side to get them off. That could be a part of the trouble.
    No pain! No Gain!

RC Champion
    mine bent using the plastic hubs.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Champion
    oh well ok...i was just thinking about it...and how would it having slop not help cause this?..lol...that extra little bit of play gives it the whip effect when landing jumps...think of this...you get in a car accident with a tight 5 point harness on and yer head strapped back...not gonna be too bad...now loosen all the harnesses up a couple inches and get in the same wreck...it's gonna be bad...The Whip Effect...a whip brreaks the sound barrier but the arm swinging it maybe goes 80mph
    @ 80% for years?

RC Qualifier
    My .02 lol. I really only run on a track and I think a big part is operator error. I have run through packs with no probs. If I have a high speed crash (ex. Flying down the back straight and clipping the wall and sending myself tumbling) it usually bends 1 up. If you ball up and land your rig on its side...the wheel takes the impact and I think leverage and force takes over and something gives.

RC Champion
    I shimmed mine before my first run. One of the things I noticed on the pre-drive once over. It did take several runs to bend an axle but I have bent about 3 now. Not a big bend, I was able to get the bearing off each time but just enough to make the tire bounce a little. Stiff springs and light wieght oil with aluminum carriers. I did roll at least once pretty rough each time. When I called traxxas for replacements ( which I didn't get ) the dude on the phone did say they found it to be a problem on rollovers. At first, I thought he was just telling me something. Then I thought about it and it makes sense.
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

RC Champion
    so then from reading here....slash, rustler, stampede, bandit, electric 4-tec...they should also have an axle bending problem right....i havnt bent one...i was just trying to figure out what makes this truck different from the rest...people said at 1st that it was only pe's because of the aluminum but now people with the plastic set are also bending them....so who knows
    @ 80% for years?

RC Qualifier
    ^^^ is the 4X4 the heaviest car of that lot?

RC Champion
    my 4x4 with the mmm/2200kv neu combo was exactly 5 lbs...so stock has gotta be lighter..they didnt have the rtr weight on tower

but
    slash is 4.75 lbs (should be bending axles)
    rusty is 3.3
    pede is 3
    bandit is 3

and how many people have put the mmm on a rusty or pede with 4s and up?...alot...thats a heavy settup thats mostly centered over the 2 rear axles...slash 4x4 is evenly distributed to all 4 for the most part
    Last edited by streetsports; 02-11-2010 at 12:23 AM.
    @ 80% for years?

RC Qualifier
    Just out of curiosity, what kinds of axles do the E-Maxx and E-Revo use? They must be stronger than these, they are monster trucks after all.
    Been there, broken that.

RC Champion
    larger diameter ones
    @ 80% for years?

RC Champion
    My PE Slash is well heavier than my beefed up Rustler. Especially with my 30 series 5.25" tall tires.
    ****** out Rustler
    Slash 4x4 gettin' close

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TrpleD
    Just out of curiosity, what kinds of axles do the E-Maxx and E-Revo use? They must be stronger than these, they are monster trucks after all.

their axles are 6mm diameter and the slash is 5mm... You wouldn't think 1mm would make the difference...

A 10lbs truck with 6mm hold up to 10 foot jumps, but a 4.75lbs truck can't handle 4.75 inch jumps.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Champion
    I just think they should integrate 6mm Stubs into the Slash yolk and upgrade the carrier bearings to 6mm ID..

Problem solved

Oh yeah,,, and provide them CHEAP (or free) to current Slash 4x4 owners to save the Traxxas reputation.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650
    their axles are 6mm diameter and the slash is 5mm... You wouldn't think 1mm would make the difference...
    Going to quote a machine shop teacher (not said to me). A kid was out of tolerance by .001 and was cryin to the teacher 'that it shouldn't affect his grade that much and whats the big deal...it's only .001'. The teach said 'OK, what if we tie a noose around your neck and hang you so your toes are ONLY .001 off the ground... then you tell me if it makes a difference'. I was laughing!!

Edited for Language
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-11-2010 at 12:57 PM.

RC Competitor
    I've read more stories about bent axles on this truck and although I haven't bent mine, I haven't run it like I would normally run my trucks, ive been babying it around. I havent had a chance to compare axles from my slash to my Tmaxx so I dont know what the diameter difference is.

Just to get some perspective, I have an all aluminum T-maxx with Unlimited Engineering parts that weighs about 13lbs. It has aluminum carriers, but stock Traxxas axles. I can twist an axle like you would twist one of those twizzler candies with the engine ive put on it, but ive never bent an axle in the many years Ive owned it. I've cartwheeled this truck, rolled it, jumped it up to 5ft high and have bent shock shafts no problem even on a good landing, the stub axles have never given me a problem I know it has monster truck tires and that probably helps lessen the shock, but I think the weight alone should do some damage...so whats the problem with the 4x4 axles?

RC Qualifier
    Does the 4x4 slash skid plate hit the ground before the suspension bottom out? Cause that could be a part of the trouble. If it doesn't have enough up travel it put all the stress on the axle instead of the skid plate. Add to this some bearing slop, a little bit heavier truck and a bad batch of axle metal and you have some bending axle like soft butter.
    No pain! No Gain!

All you need are the Revo or Jato blue rubber bump stops. I haven't bent a shaft since installing them.

RC poster
    When I first started this hobby in 97 I purchased a rustler nitro. It still had the original axles on it. So Since they were the same I used them. Been bent free now for 10 runs now. With the PE axles I only would get about 20 minute run before bending.

RC Competitor
    im not familiar with the jato or revo, is there a part # or pic of these bump stops? I couldnt seem to locate them in the exploded view.

They come in part # 5462, I just had some laying around from my Revo. I only installed them on the rear but no issues since.

RC Competitor
    Thanks, im going to look into that now

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti as3
    Going to quote a machine shop teacher (not said to me). A kid was out of tolerance by .001 and was cryin to the teacher 'that it shouldn't affect his grade that much and whats the big deal...it's only .001'. The teach said 'OK, what if we tie a noose around your neck and hang you so your toes are ONLY .001 off the ground... then you tell me if it makes a difference'. I was laughing!!

Edited for Language
    -ksb51rl
    1mm thickness difference will be much stronger. on the other hand, .001 from touching the ground makes absolutely no difference, the kid will be dead either way, toes barely touching the ground wouldn't support 1/100th of his weight. you teach sucks
    5805,17/58,REM,VXL,1/8

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DABIGSCALEKILLA
    the axles are not bending because of bearings or the hole .....the bending of the axles has to do with alot of things but not those two. upwheel travel, oil wt, and the driver skill are some of the reasons.
    I agree that suspension travel, or hitting the limits of that travel, and the oil weight combined with driver skill are all factors. However, I'm just noting that all of these things would make absolutely no difference if the axles were stronger, or larger, or both. I'm sure you can mitigate the problem by addressing all the things you noted, but as soon as we have some hardened steel or titanium axles, the situation will certainly improve. I also like the thoughts that others have mentioned about going to a 6mm size. I'm confident that something will come out soon.

I'm waiting for good news from these guys:
    http://www.teknorc.com/index.php?cPa...c3245b1c585045

RC Champion
    im guessing its a bad batch of steel or something along those lines..
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted
    im guessing its a bad batch of steel or something along those lines..
    That isn't the problem...
    Slash 4x4 RTR
    Platinum Slash 4x4

RC poster
    I absolutly beat the ever loving heck out of my 2wd Slash and have never, I mean never bent a axel, not 1 of them. I have ran my 4x4 3 times and have bent 2 rear axels. Both by rolling the truck. Now this could be driver error, but if I can't make an error while I'm driving this truck, than you can keep it!! The axels are weaker and it's just that simple.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Westgraphix
    That isn't the problem...
    and you know why ?
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by majestic
    They come in part # 5462, I just had some laying around from my Revo. I only installed them on the rear but no issues since.
    Are they the little blue guys? If so, I have them in my 2wd Slashes rear shocks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiya
    ^^^ is the 4X4 the heaviest car of that lot?
    The ERBE with batteries is like 13lbs mabye more.
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted
    and you know why ?
    Because I have used 2wd axles and 4wd axles, they all bend. It has nothing to do with a "bad batch".
    Slash 4x4 RTR
    Platinum Slash 4x4

RC poster
    Ok to solve the bending problem I put on the new axles i received in the mail from traxxas last week. Sure enough after a run the left axle was bent again with no roll overs. My backyard track does not have a jump higher than 1 foot. So I put my old nitro rustler axles back on and no bent Axel and had 2 roll overs after 1/2 hour run. In my personal experience I think it is the metal being used. Willing to send axles to traxxas so they can solve this axle problem.

70Challenger - Those are the ones. Obviously I can't promise they work but things have been great for me.

RC Racer
    Tekno RC / Impakt RC

RC poster
    by the way, does anyone try the MIP CVD for slash before??
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWLD2&P=ML

it appears stiff, does it also fit 4x4 rear? or front as well?

RC Enthusiast
    I Believe Alot Of Things Come In Conclusion...if You Look In The S1 Tires That Come With The Pe They Have The Cheapest Foam Inside Of Them And Wears Extremely Fast....the Wheel Itself Is Very Flexable ...upwheel Travel Is Overwhelming....the Shock Tower Srings Are A Little On The Soft Side....the Axles Pins Are Wider Which Means More Chances To Bend...plastic Chassis More Flexabilty When Turning More Pressure On The Pins.....the Distribution Of Weight Has To Be Equal To Component Side.....driver Ability....but Who Can Complain Its Traxxas Its Cheap To Fix....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast