RC Competitor

best way to clean motor???

brushed and brushless...
    My boys and I have been running our Rustler and Stampedes pretty hard in the snow and dirty roads as the snow melts and I am wondering what the best way to clean the motors is... I have some expensive spray that I picked up once but I can't afford to buy it again. I think it was $8 and when you are cleaning 2 brushed motors regularly it doesn't last long. I read somewhere that you can use carb cleaner but the guys at my LHS say not to use it...
    What do you guys do?
    By the way, I have never cleaned my vxl motor (almost 3 years.) I was told not to. Should I?
    Thanks.

RC Competitor
    really? No advice yet? :-)

RC Champion
    i only clean my vxl when i get it SOAKED.
    what type of brushed motors?

EDIT: and i only use canned air on the VXL (inside)
    is there an 'AA' for RC addicts?

RC Competitor
    I have 2 of the motors that come with the xl-5

RC Champion
    those are titans 12t. again, i only use canned air on them too, since they are not rebuildable i dont spend the money on electric motor spray.
    is there an 'AA' for RC addicts?

Definitely don't use carb or brake cleaner you could dissolve the epxy used to balance the armature. You can try lowe's or home depot they have electric motor spray but not sure it is any cheaper than the rc specific stuff.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Electric motor spray, or electric contact cleaner is the way to go. Something like this, for example: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFZ96&P=ML
    Look at your motor; see the four holes in the front and rear ends of the motor? Insert the small tube on the can of motor spray, or contact cleaner into those and spray away. Keep spraying until what is running out of the other end is clear. Don't worry, you can use the spray freely, it dries very quickly. After you thoroughly spray out the motor, use a couple of drops of the bearing lube of your choice on the bearings in the motor and you're done.
    Like RJM said, don't use carb or brake cleaner.
    You should clean your VXL motor periodically, particulalry if you typically run in dirty, or dusty conditions. The method I have described above will work, or you can actually open up the motor can and spray it out that way. Either way, it is a good idea to clean BL motors every so often too.
    Last edited by TAT2; 02-15-2010 at 06:46 PM.
    99%er

RC Competitor
    thanks you guys. It looks like I need to pick up another can of motor cleaner :-)
    Actually, can you use the same stuff on a balance plug (lipo) if it gets wet with snow or mud? I try to keep mine covered when running in wet conditions but I want to know what to do if I do run into some moisture or grime on my balance tap!!!

RC Enthusiast
    If you want to save some cash go to the auto parts store and buy the spray brake cleaner it's the same stuff and it's a lot cheaper. Why pay $7 for one can when you can get one can for $2 from the auto parts store. That's what i have been doing for the past 9 years it's the same stuff and cheaper and i have never seen any damage to the inside of the motor on the epoxy from it.
    Last edited by Evil Ernie; 02-16-2010 at 02:50 AM.

RC Competitor
    that is exactly what I needed to know :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ty_horn
    Actually, can you use the same stuff on a balance plug (lipo) if it gets wet with snow or mud?
    Yep; you sure can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Ernie
    If you want to save some cash go to the auto parts store and buy the spray brake cleaner it's the same stuff and it's a lot cheaper.
    That depends... not all brake cleaners are made with the same ingredients, for lack of a better term, and some will do very bad things to plastic, paint, and the various glues which can be found in some of these motors. Buyer beware.
    BTW; Home Depot used to carry (and may still, I haven't checked lately) QD (Quick Dry) Electronic Cleaner, by a company called CRC, for about $3 or $4 a can. I've seen this in some auto parts stores as well. They carry another CRC product at WalMart which does the same thing as their QD product, but it doesn't dry quite as quickly, called LectraClean, for about the same price. IOW, you can get electric contact cleaner, electric parts cleaner, electric motor cleaner, whatever you want to call it, for not much more than brake cleaner at many places if you're willing to shop around a little. Most auto parts stores will carry electronics cleaner, which is pretty much motor spray by another name. Brake cleaner is like nitro spray, and can be a bit harsh for use on electric motors. Even if it doesn't dissolve the plastic of your endbell or the epoxy coating on the windings of your motor, most brake cleaner formulas contain solvents that can still do some damage. It has also been linked to brush softening, just so you know. So what's the safest thing to do? Stick with either electronics cleaner, conact cleaner or motor spray.
    Last edited by TAT2; 02-16-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    99%er

RC Competitor
    well I soaked my vxl tonight when I drove it into a creek. I tried to open it up so I could clean it out but only one screw would come loose! Now what?

RC Racer
    Run It At Very Low Rpm To Dry It Out Then Oil It Run It Again And Oil It Again
    DAVE TRAXEL

RC Competitor
    It looks like I won't ever be able to clean this one out then... Unless I find a way to break the screws free!

RC Qualifier
    get a left handed drill bit to get the stripped screw out
    Slash 2x4 VXL
    Slash 2x4 XL-5
    Slash 4x4 VXL

RC Competitor
    What about the plastic fan in the brushed motor?
    Most of the sprays say not to use on plastic.
    Anyone run into that?
    Chickens are for hauling.

So why not just get one that is listed as being safe on plastic?
    99%er

RC Competitor
    I got some stuff at an autoparts store that was $3 and says it is safe on plastics. The problem is that I still cannot get into my motor because of the screws. I have had this motor for 3 years and have been running it hard since I got it. Haven't had a single problem. Why worry about cleaning it now right :-)
    At this point I am more worried about messing up my lipo if it gets submerged like it did a few weeks ago. For now, I have put silicone around the area where the wires go in and I zip tie a piece of a balloon around the balance plug when I run it. Moisture seems to find its way in to the balance plug anyway sometimes so I spray it down with with the cleaner...
    Last edited by ty_horn; 03-09-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ty_horn
    The problem is that I still cannot get into my motor because of the screws. I have had this motor for 3 years and have been running it hard since I got it. Haven't had a single problem. Why worry about cleaning it now right :-)
    Dag man; you still haven't gotten those screws out? Have you tried hitting them with a little WD-40? Also, have you tried slotting the screw head so that you can just use a flat-head screwdriver to try and get it out? Use a Dremel, cut a small slot in the screw head (careful not to cut the head of the screw off though) just big enough for a flat head screwdriver to fit in, and that might work. I've had hex screws that wouldn't come free with a hex driver before, but I did manage to free them up with a flat head. It may not work for you, but at this point it sounds like it may be worth a try.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...sted-screw.htm
    Last edited by TAT2; 03-10-2010 at 02:38 PM.
    99%er

RC Competitor
    Thanks TAT,
    I kind of forgot about it for awhile. I need to try again. Thanks for the flathead idea. I will give her a try!

I know at this point, after 3 years of running the motor hard, that cleaning it isn't a huge priority, but the fact that these motors are rebuildable alone, imo, makes getting those screws out worth the time and effort.
    99%er