RC poster

Tips for removing tires off stock rim

Does anyone out there know any good ways to remove the old tires from the stock rims? I tried cutting them but it is not working out too well.

RC Qualifier
    click on 'search this forum'....and then search baking tires or boiling tires and you should find some good information on how to do this.
    Rustler VXL
    SPC Lipo's
    Align T-Rex 450 Pro

RC Qualifier
    Try soaking in acetone. It works best but may remove chrome from rims though.

Joe
    Can't spell? Try this http://www.iespell.com/

Wrap tires with a towel and then aluminum foil, this help keep the smell down.
    Place on cookie sheet and place in over after it has been preheated to 350.
    Remove after about 10 minutes.
    While wearing gloves, unwrap tires and peel the tires off the rim.
    Repeat as needed.
    Traxxas Rally VXL
    Traxxas Rustler 4x4

RC Champion
    Don't. Really. The way I drive by the time the tires are worn out the rims are pretty chewed up. Not really worth the effort to get the tires off the rims to use again.

I've boiled them and cut them off. The work involved to save a few bucks on rims just doesn't compute for me.

RC Enthusiast
    i put them in boiling water for 5-10 minutes, just dunk them in, after 5 mins, put on gloves or something to protect your hand from the boiling water and just peal the tires off, you can re-use both the tires and the rims and its easy to do

tip: i put average winter gloves on and put latex gloves over them, the latex keeps the water out and the winter gloves keep the heat out, you can totaly dip you hand in boiling water without feeling a thing!

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    Using a heat gun worked best fot me.
    I got skills!

RC Racer
    Just used the boiling method today, boiled for 10 minutes completely submerged. The pulled them out and kept under a running tap to cool them and then just peeled the tires off, was amazed how well it worked. yes the chrome got a bit fuzzy on the rims.
    rustler vxl stampede vxl 3s lipo power

RC Champion
    I like the baking method myself.
    phil
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

Baking to me is easiest and least amount of cleanup involved.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Racer
    unless you really really like your new rims, jus get some cheapo-s from ebay or used somewhere, or brand new, they cant be more than 6-10 a pair, and they will save u at least 10 dollars in headaches
    im goin big, then goin home

RC Racer
    More labor than it's worth. Try some Traxxas lightweight dish rims ( 1972 front and rear ) for 5 a pair and save yourself the hassle.

I removed tires once... just once.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Just tried the baking method after I broke a VXL rim with a BRAND new set of Badlands id just glued up. Had to put them in the oven for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees and it still took some pulling to get them off... but they DID come off. And i can now reuse the tires. Im sold on this method.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    Just tried the baking method after I broke a VXL rim with a BRAND new set of Badlands id just glued up. Had to put them in the oven for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees and it still took some pulling to get them off... but they DID come off. And i can now reuse the tires. Im sold on this method.
    wow! 400f for 30 min? and still hard to get off? i just put em on an old cookie sheet i have at 350f for 10-15 min and wear leather work gloves, ive had to do quite a few (since i decided to become a Traxxas guy) had to get all my expensive tires of my AE wheels.
    http://www.youtube.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/95666