RC Racer

Taping Tires????

What does that mean and how do you do it??? And what does taping your tires do for you?? I have been reading alot about this but I do not know what it means or does??

Thanks
    VXL Rustler

RC Competitor
    It is meant to keep your tires from expanding vertically at high speeds, keeping more tire in contact with the surface. I think most people use a single wrap of duct tape. There is a tutorial here: http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...ping-tires.asp

I cannot speak to its effectiveness, I have not done it on any of my tires.
    Rustler VXL (being upgraded as money allows ...)

RC Competitor
    I also was unsure what this was, thanks for answering Parustler....can anyone speak to the effectiveness of this? It would seem to me that the tire would just peel away from the tape.

Anyone?
    ==
    Slash4X4 Jato Ten-TE T-Maxx P4de MERV SC10

RC Champion
    If you clean the tires before putting tape on, it will last a good long time. And it really does reduce the ballooning effect a lot. Check out my thread here:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=480228
    Last edited by jolynsbass; 02-17-2010 at 11:07 PM.
    Two Rusty VXLs, M2Ks 18/83 - Tag! You're it!

RC Enthusiast
    i put 2 layers of duct tape...

RC poster
    It definitely helps with the ballooning. Use gorilla tape....that stuff is ridiculously strong and sticky.

RC Qualifier
    for me i run alot in wet contitions so i have holes in my tires to let the water to be forced out will this still work if i drill through the duct tape?
    I Need Wings For My Rusty!!!

I taped the inside of my gladiators on my slash and can tell a big difference between those, and my un taped glads on my Rustler. The glads on my Rustler balloon alot more than my taped ones.

I only used 1 layer of Duct tape. I just turned the tire inside out and ran a length of tape around it overlapping the ends of the tape about 1 to 1 1/2 inch. Then turned the tire right side out, installed the foam and mounted them up.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 02-18-2010 at 03:17 PM.

RC Racer
    Some guys also tape the outside of tires that they run on carpet so that they can get a little release in turns and don't flip.

Yes, you can drill through the tape if you run drains on your skins-- tape still holds up.

RC Enthusiast
    Ballooning is good if you're looking for high top end speed. Same concept used in dragsters. The diameter of the tire increases as you go faster, covering more distance per rev on the top end but without sacrificing low end acceleration. So you get a free continuously variable transmission.
    MERV, Revo 2.5R, T-Maxx 2.5, HPI Nitro RS4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge111
    Ballooning is good if you're looking for high top end speed. Same concept used in dragsters. The diameter of the tire increases as you go faster, covering more distance per rev on the top end but without sacrificing low end acceleration. So you get a free continuously variable transmission.
    Well I plan on having different set of wheels and tires, some tapped and some not tapped, depending on what surface I am running on!!
    VXL Rustler

RC Racer
    The gear ratio may go up but it seems to be harder to control my rc at higher speeds when the tires are ballonning.

I have tried taping my bandit anacondas, but the tape starts to comes lose after a short time. I do clean them before I tape them and have even used gorilla tape. Taping has not worked out for me.