RC poster

You're Missing The Point

Reading through these threads and I can't figure out why everyone wants their e-maxx to go faster and faster. Before I ordered mine I wanted speed too but now that I drive it, 30mph is plenty fast. The Emaxx is meant for bashing, jumping.. not drag racing and high speed runs. I know this is my opinion but I would want to work on making it more durable and reaching better run times then faster speed. I would of got a buggy or a car if i wanted more speed.

Just wanted to think out loud. Anyone else agree with me?

RC Qualifier
    That is mainly true...

However, with todays technology in LiPo batteries, and Brushless systems, you can have a 50mph E-Maxx with uncontrollable power and 45 minute run times that still does just as well off road.

Eric
    Cummins Powered!

RC Qualifier
    Like You said its Your Opinion. Here's Mine.

If I want to drive my E-Maxx off a cliff, thats up to me and if I want ideas from other people on the Forum about how best to drive it off that cliff, then I post a thread here. If, when discussing this trip off the cliff we talk about getting more power to go further and better suspension so when I hit the ground I do so in a spectacular fashion, well thats what forums like this are for. But thats just My Opinion.

Oh and another thing, You title "You're Missing The Point" I'm sure there are people on here that know exactly what an E-Maxx is for and the difference between it and a Buggy/Car, and they have their own reason for choosing the E-Maxx and I'm actually fairly sure some of the guys on here know more about E-Maxx and Modding them than some of us will ever know so I dont like you Title either, but hey, That is just My Opinion.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-18-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    KD 700-HO 3905 - FLM E-Maxx MMM - ERBE - Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    WOW! I like fast trucks, bashing fast trucks and racing fast trucks. I also enjoy building trucks that you don't see in everyday build threads like my MMM powered Stampede. So I'll stick to my super fast and super tough trucks that I build no matter what anyone else does. In my opinion to each their own.
    It might break.... then again it broke....

RC Qualifier
    Slowness get's boring quickly, and quickness get's boring slowly.
    I understand it's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but to say "You're missing the point" is a bit.....oh nevermind, sevenie articulated it perfectly.

I've been in RC for over 20 years, and in the old days before brushless and lipo, and even nimh technology, when there was just nicad cells and 540 silver can mabuchi's, the cars (out of the box) were terribly slow. 10-15mph was the fastest it would go (out of the box). It was so boring.
    It's like rock crawling, it may be fun in certain circles, but it's terribly boring by yourself and as a spectator, in my opinion. There's no speed to make things interesting.
    If anybody likes rock crawling, that's fine if that's what they're into. Presumably you'd buy a rock crawler for that. If you want a crawler, you don't buy an emaxx. You buy an emaxx to go somewhat fast and either race, or bash race with friends, and of course chase dogs and have dogs chase it. If you want a scale monster truck, you don't buy an emaxx, you buy some of the trucks that the opposition makes like HPI and Tamiya.

An Emaxx is a truck that fills the gap between rock crawler, a race worthy truggy, and a scale monster truck.

One might look at your statment of "You're missing the point" and think "YOUR'RE" missing the point.
    You are unique just like everyone else

RC Champion
    once you get used to driving it, it will seem slow
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by scotthw
    once you get used to driving it, it will seem slow
    So true!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by branden23
    Anyone else agree with me?
    I do.

My Summit doesn't move particularly fast (although I don't consider it slow) but that's not what it was designed for. Summit/E-Maxx isn't a direct comparison, but they are similar.

I wanted to go fast too, so instead of trying to make a Summit on steroids, I got a Rustler for speed.

At the end of the day, regardless of how much power you feed an E-Maxx, it still won't handle like a car or "stadium" truck. 30 MPH is plenty for what the truck was designed for.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Champion
    Maybe the thread should have read "I'm missing the point"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanSky
    Maybe the thread should have read "I'm missing the point"

Yes thats it. Can we get the Mods to change the Title??

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by timie1
    An Emaxx is a truck that fills the gap between rock crawler, a race worthy truggy, and a scale monster truck.
    It's funny, I agree with both the OP and the above quote.

I have a Summit and a Rusty. I've had my eye on a brushless Maxx for the exact reason you mentioned - to fill the gap between the two vehicles I already own.

IMO the Summit is better at crawling than bashing, although it's a decent basher. My Rustler is used strictly on pavement for speed. A Maxx would fall right in the middle - 4wd off road/bashing capability and also some speed.

But I still agree with the OP. In a truck like the Maxx, the line for "too much power" is easier to cross than it would be in a speed truck.

Just my opinion...
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Racer
    The last time I checked the E Maxx was a MONSTER TRUCK....... Real monster trucks don't drive around with a 300 hp small block in them. They are fire breathing, alcohol fed, super charged, big block bohemiths... That what a monster truck is about. Fast, fun and not handeling so good. If I want off road handling I will drive my E Jato its nimble, handles and rocket fast or one of my Stampedes. Monster trucks need monster power!!!!!!!!!!! 30 mph will get boring very quickly I agree and just because you have a lot of power doesnt mean you still can't drive 30 mph, you can and then stomp the crapout of it for that monster air.
    Last edited by kustommaxx; 02-18-2010 at 06:22 PM.

RC Competitor
    You guys are too easy... can't you tell that OP is just "baiting" you guys to get a response?

RC Racer
    But its fun

RC Competitor
    yea a buggy or somthing might go faster and handle better but will it do it anyware you want ? there just somthing fun about somthing fast that will go almost anyware. and also why not have it go fast you can always go slower
    fun first saftey second

Quote Originally Posted by sevenie
    Yes thats it. Can we get the Mods to change the Title??
    I already did.

RC Qualifier
    Slow = sux
    I bought mine for the " waterproof " it's my first electric . It's all about what you want to do with it .... And what you want to spend. Personally I want to bash and run as fast as I can waterproof. I got a jato 3.3 for big areas. My t maxx and revo are getting built for large areas. My savage xl is a tank . And my e maxx was "supposed" to be for the yard ... Until I took it ice fishing and made a lot of people mad ! LOL . Now I want maximum power but still waterproof ..... U GOTTA PAY TO PLAY !'

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kustommaxx
    The last time I checked the E Maxx was a MONSTER TRUCK....... Real monster trucks don't drive around with a 300 hp small block in them. They are fire breathing, alcohol fed, super charged, big block bohemiths... That what a monster truck is about. Fast, fun and not handeling so good. If I want off road handling I will drive my E Jato its nimble, handles and rocket fast or one of my Stampedes. Monster trucks need monster power!!!!!!!!!!! 30 mph will get boring very quickly I agree and just because you have a lot of power doesnt mean you still can't drive 30 mph, you can and then stomp the crapout of it for that monster air.
    Actually, monster trucks arent at all fast. They have way more torque than top end speed.

RC Champion
    I don't see why it's a big deal that people want to push the truck beyond its designed limits. Faster, stronger, flashier, etc.

You shouldn't be making a thread telling them all that they're missing the 'point', especially when you defeat your own topic title by saying the point they are missing is your own opinion of what the E-Maxx is supposed to do.

I got my E-Maxx after debating greatly between the Maxx, Revo, Summit, Stampede and Rustler. I landed on the E-Maxx because I think it looks cooler than a Revo, it's much cheaper than the Summit, it can be brought up to Summit 'crawling' (I use that loosely) level, is a step above the Stampede and is much more off-road capable than the Rustler.

Does it mean I am missing the point of the E-Maxx to make mine a semi-crawler like the Summit with the upgrades I've been getting to mimic it?

Now I agree with you in the sense I don't care about uncontrollable speed, I do think it is a pointless for me as it defeats my reasons for owning it. You shouldn't chastise people for wanting speed though. The thread title comes off very demeaning and attacking which may or may not have been your intent.
    E-Maxx 3905 - Rustler 3707 - Slash 5805

RC Racer
    I enjoy my truck at the stock speed but i also enjoy seeing other people do some crazy things with their trucks, its all for the fun of the hobby!

RC Qualifier
    the reason people want to be faster and faster is because they can! Which sounds cooler, getting a honda civic to go 200mph or a chevy silverado to go 200mph? Getting the chevy silverado to go 200 mph! I think your missing the point. And KSB the title is the same still
    Are you an RC addict?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmaxx64
    the reason people want to be faster and faster is because they can! Which sounds cooler, getting a honda civic to go 200mph or a chevy silverado to go 200mph? Getting the chevy silverado to go 200 mph! I think your missing the point. And KSB the title is the same still
    LOL, I'd rather take the 200mph Civic any day though
    You are unique just like everyone else

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanSky
    Actually, monster trucks arent at all fast. They have way more torque than top end speed.
    I beg to differ. Apparently you haven't seen the video of big foot jumping a jet. That was pertty fast to clear that. I agree that generally they arent speed demons but with with massive torque come big speed potential. Fast acceleration! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vxv5j7PAk4 Looks fast to me.
    Or this one 82 mph that pretty fast for a big truck....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrHfJ...eature=related
    Hobby trucks are that hobby you can make it go as fast as you can aford to make it go. I prefer speed, durability and good looking truck. If someone likes stock so be I have no problem with that to each their own. My monster trucks will always be fast.

I agree that the op of this thread has missed the point, its what you want in a truck not what someone else wants you to build . I solicit ideas but in the end its my build the way aI want it. Not a slow boring truck cause someone says so. Its all good though.
    Last edited by kustommaxx; 02-19-2010 at 11:20 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I dont care what people do to their trucks, I have a ****** out emaxx which I love and I have a Stock 3905 E-Maxx which I love too. It is all good.

The title of the thread is what annoyed me.

My last 2 cents on it.

RC Champion
    [QUOTE=kustommaxx]I beg to differ. Apparently you haven't seen the video of big foot jumping a jet. That was pertty fast to clear that. I agree that generally they arent speed demons but with with massive torque come big speed potential. Fast acceleration! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vxv5j7PAk4 Looks fast to me.
    Or this one 82 mph that pretty fast for a big truck....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrHfJ...eature=related
    QUOTE]

I agree these trucks can have massive torque and speed it just depends on what ring and pinion that they choose for there axles. Also these trucks have two speed powerglide trannys and they usually run in first unless they are racing.
    BLEmaxx-3905
    Fam. last words-Hey yall watch this!

RC Racer
    This is my final thought in this thread. I will never drive any eletric vehicle with a brushed motor. Brushless motors are so much more reliable, smoother power more torque and longer run times. Running brushed is a step back to the 80's when nitro was king. No thanks was there as a teen and prefer the brushless. I can drive my brushless at 30 mph or I can drive it at 60 either way its mine and my money was well spent.
    I have a rock crawler to their is no comparison to the Maxx and a crawler so to compare them is just dumb. Crawlers are for technical courses and climbing , I find it very fun. My maxx is for bashing and racing lots of fun to. Racing is speed and consistency, i personally enjoy blasting down straigh aways then slowing to corner thats racing. I also enjoy big air bashing and climbing over crap in my maxx. It can do it all. Speed is a by product of brushless technology.
    Lets not forget the Maxx line of trucks is what blew open the monster truck market and dominated RACING (speed) for a long time.
    Hobbyist's do thier own thing and are proud of thier work. Fast, slow or in the middle you do your own thing and no one here should discourage that with a thread like this. I don't like every truck on here but I never beat someone over thier work. As far as I am concerned the mods should close this thread.
    Last edited by kustommaxx; 02-19-2010 at 04:30 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kustommaxx
    I beg to differ. Apparently you haven't seen the video of big foot jumping a jet. That was pertty fast to clear that. I agree that generally they arent speed demons but with with massive torque come big speed potential. Fast acceleration! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vxv5j7PAk4 Looks fast to me.
    Hobby trucks are that hobby you can make it go as fast as you can aford to make it go. I prefer speed, durability and good looking truck. If someone likes stock so be I have no problem with that to each their own. My monster trucks will always be fast.

I agree that the op of this thread has missed the point, its what you want in a truck not what someone else wants you to build . I solicit ideas but in the end its my build the way aI want it. Not a slow boring truck cause someone says so. Its all good though.
    Right. I didnt say they werent fast, they just arent as fast as ,say a street racer. They have alot more torque and start up speed, but they reach their terminal acceleration sooner than a street car.

RC Racer
    I agree with that point

RC Qualifier
    And KSB the title is the same still
    Actually KSB did change the thread. He changed YOUR to YOU'RE to make up for the terrible grammar.

I applaud you KSB. Good day sir!
    Hi, I'm Norm! The enemy of the platypus is man.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by J-DUB
    Also these trucks have two speed powerglide trannys and they usually run in first unless they are racing.
    Actually, if you watch them these days you'll hear them shift a lot, even in freestyle. For much the same reasons as our RC cars, they keep pushing the envelope for what defines the sport; BIG air, wheelies, slap wheelies, etc.

For the OP, I started out in the days that were already referred to in this thread. I had a Tamiya Toyota stadium racer that on HOT batteries would do 20mph, and that was smokin' back then. I went nitro some years later, and after breaking most rigs I had multiple times, found this beautiful thing called monster trucks. Big, heavy, beefy, and durable, and fast as well. Nitro fuel has went through the roof around here, so this year I bit the bullet and went brushless + lipo. If I raced, or ran in a big group, I'd want something comparable to everyone else so the racing was close, but I don't. Slow gets old quick by yourself, but hey, to each his own. To this day nothing beats the look on people's faces when they see a monster truck rip the front tires off the ground with authority at 40mph +.

Oh, and KSB
    REM Octopede

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DGCON44
    Slow = sux
    I disagree. I have a Pede on 3S, and recently downgraded to a XL1 with a Ryobi drill motor with a TRX 7cell and am still having fun.
    TEAM RCA
    VXL 3S Venom Powered Monster Pede.

RC Champion
    I do have to agree somewhat with branden though. I drove an Emaxx with a Novak HV Pro system in it, and it was just uncontrollable. Sometimes fast gets out of hand. With that said, I like something in the middle-not stock Titans, but not uncontrollable either- something on the lines of the 775.

I just think his title could have been worded better because ,even though this is my opinion, I dont think anyone is "missing the point". Its your truck-build it to your liking.

RC Champion
    I think everyone is getting bogged down in their own, sometimes, narrow view of how things should be. Anyone who pops the cash for any kind of RC has bought the right to fix it up and run it any way they want. As was mentioned earlier, they can run it off a cliff just watch it crash, do high speed runs down the street or slowly crawl around the rock.

The one thing that I have trouble with are those who think they should be entitled to warranty/replacement for parts that are broken because of their actions. If you consistently get 6 feet of air on jumps you should be smart enough to realize something is going to break. In real scale it would be like jumping a truck 48 feet in the air. If you canít get your around 48 feet look up at your ceiling. That is 8 feet, multiply that by 6, get the picture. If you break something deal with it, or buy a bowling ball.

Sparkky
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Enthusiast
    And on this note, I'm excited about bashing tomorrow! Good game all.