RC Enthusiast

Just picked up a used Emaxx...

So I was at my LHS today picking up some parts I ordered for my Slash 4x4, and sitting on the "used" table was an Emaxx. I gave it a quick once over then asked the fateful question... "how much?" (its the older Emaxx... not the newer, waterproof one...)

After a little haggling with the guy, and some pleading with my wife I walked out of there with my new project and 2 older NiMh packs, for $150. It needs a bit of work, starting with a new body, but this could be the start of a fun project!

So... a question... I really like the Velineon Brushless system in the Slash 4x4, and I can't afford the Mamba... Would the Velineon motor handle the extra weight of the Emaxx, and would the VXL ESC handle 14.4 or 16.8 volts alright? I'll probably stick with a couple nicd or nimh 6 cells packs because, although I like speed... this one's gonna be strictly a basher. I've got the Slash for my need for speed ;D

Thanks in advance, and first post, YAY!!!

--Kevin

RC Champion
    The vxl will handle it for a few months but eventually it will burn out and the VXL will only handle 11.1v safely.
    BLEmaxx-3905
    Fam. last words-Hey yall watch this!

RC Champion
    I would think you'd have to double up the VXL systems to make a V-Twin for it to not destroy the motors.

You'd be better off getting the Mamba Monster unless you want warrantied waterproofness of the VXLs. You can plastic dip the Mamba ESC to waterproof it, but say bye bye to the warranty.

Edit: I demand pictures!
    E-Maxx 3905 - Rustler 3707 - Slash 5805

RC Qualifier
    Get you a brushless hobbywing setup from here, http://www.kershawdesigns.com/
    I have one in my old style emaxx and it flies for very little moola...
    If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with!!!

RC Champion
    Short answer no The VXL will not do well with a 10 truck. And no the VXL esc will not handle more than 12 volts. The VXL systems were designed to handle much smaller vehicles. The Slash is the heaviest Traxxas vehicle that runs the VXL and it only weighs 4.5 pounds. Your Emaxx is 10 pounds.
    If you want to do a "budget” project that will allow you to use most of what came with the truck try dropping in a Titan 775.

Sparky
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by orion
    I would think you'd have to double up the VXL systems to make a V-Twin for it to not destroy the motors.

You'd be better off getting the Mamba Monster unless you want warrantied waterproofness of the VXLs. You can plastic dip the Mamba ESC to waterproof it, but say bye bye to the warranty.

Edit: I demand pictures!
    That's what I was thinking too, and that wouldn't give me much cost-benefit over the Mamba system... as far as pics go, it ain't much to look at right now, but I'll try to get a couple pics later when can get away from the kids (trying not to let them see it until its ready for some serious bashing...)

Quote Originally Posted by GMMWICKED
    Get you a brushless hobbywing setup from here, http://www.kershawdesigns.com/
    I have one in my old style emaxx and it flies for very little moola...
    Thanks for that link! I like the looks of that Revolver 700 conversion kit, and the price is right less than what I was going to pay for 1 VXL kit... that might be the way to go, especially since I intend to run it on mainly inexpensive Nicd and Nimh batteries. Like I said, I've got the Slash for my speed fix. The Emaxx will be more for the kids to bash around the front yard with. 30-35 mph will be more than enough for that.

Thanks for the replies guys!

--Kevin

RC Champion
    The problem with the 700 HO kit is that it eats batteries (inexpensive ones) your best bet is a traxxas titan 775 conversion
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Enthusiast
    Pics: (Like I said, it needs a new body... the one on it came off a Losi Crawler...)

LOL my fat fingers got in the way of this one a bit... crappy phone pics, sorry.

I noticed while I was outside that the screw holes in the rear bulkheads that hold the turn buckles seem to be pretty sloppy and probably stripped... no matter there, I was planning on replacing them anyway. On the subject of motors: I'll have to continue my research before deciding, but since the stock motors still seem to be pretty strong I'm in no hurry to replace them anyway. I'm more concerned with adding strength where its needed than adding power at the moment, so I think a good tear-down, clean, and rebuild is in order before I make any real upgrades.

--Kevin

RC Champion
    Do you have a set of GP3300 packs? Cause if you do then they can handle the 775 or 700 motors pretty well.
    BLEmaxx-3905
    Fam. last words-Hey yall watch this!

RC Champion
    It's not bad looking for the price, besides the body. You got a good deal there it looks like.

I just dropped a 775 in my 3905 today, used partially charged batteries for about 4 minutes and it's definitely a major torque increase over the stock 550s. It can't compare to dual 700 HOs or Brushless, but it's inexpensive to do and it'll increase run times a bit.

RC Enthusiast
    I went to the Hobby Shop today and picked up a set of rear bulkheads, but after tearing the rear of the truck apart and installing them, I think I may have wasted my money... those screw holes that I was concerned about being stripped out may not have been. Apparently, at some point in it's life, a previous owner must have used the wrong screws to reattach the turnbuckles because they are entirely too short. They barely thread into the bulkhead at all. Plus, they're the flat head screw like would be counter-sunk into the bottom of the chassis, not the flat, washer-headed screws that one would expect to see holding the rod ends. Not a big deal as the new bulks were only $8... now I just gotta scrounge up a couple appropriate screws.

Then, I found a seller on ebay with a boatload of 3906 bodies for $17.99 with free shipping. So I bought a red one. That'll do until I can decide exactly what direction I want to go with this truck. I had an Emaxx back several years ago (02-03, I think coz my son was just learning to walk and he was born in 2001), and I did several upgrades to it... Namely a Pro Line "Wide Maxx" widened suspension kit and several aluminum parts, then I had a Ford Excursion body custom painted metalic purple with a us flag across the hood and fenders. This time around, since the kids are old enough to want to play with it I'm more interested in durability than looks or speed... As far as the motor(s) go, I think it will most likely get a 775 or simple replacement motors.

Thanks again for the replies and tips guys!

--Kevin

RC Champion
    If you want durability, you should upgrade to RPM parts all around. Their suspension arms, axle carriers, shocktowers, skidplates and whatnot are all very tough and flexible. The RPM True Tracks is also nice for eliminating rear toe-links.

The 775 is a nice little upgrade for the money. It's not much bigger than a 550, but it's more powerful than two 550s which is what I find crazy about it.

RC Qualifier
    It's not bad looking for the price, besides the body. You got a good deal there it looks like.

I just dropped a 775 in my 3905 today, used partially charged batteries for about 4 minutes and it's definitely a major torque increase over the stock 550s. It can't compare to dual 700 HOs or Brushless, but it's inexpensive to do and it'll increase run times a bit.
    Me too. Mine is geared 19/68 and runs great on 7 cell Series 3 Traxxas batts (on sale at TH).
    Pede_4X4Pede_Rusty_1/10SlashVXL_1/16SummitVXL

RC Champion
    How'd you manage a 19t pinion, papaweely? I used a 21t and I was barely able to get the motor close enough to mesh with it. I have my motor in the center top position.

RC Qualifier
    How'd you manage a 19t pinion, papaweely? I used a 21t and I was barely able to get the motor close enough to mesh with it. I have my motor in the center top position.
    Cut off a section of the metal motor sleeve to clear the trans.
    Pede_4X4Pede_Rusty_1/10SlashVXL_1/16SummitVXL

RC Champion
    Ah gotcha. I didn't want to modify my motor that way, but so far I'm happy with the 21t. I might be able to wiggle a 20th in if I wanted.

RC Competitor
    what about dual 775s?

I'm running dual 550s and haven't gotten my emaxx going yet. busted stock A-arm turned into 'widening' it with newer spec RPM a-arms and other small parts needed.
    Rustler XL5, Emaxx 3906, Radio Shack RC boat

RC Champion
    Do dual 775s require two EVX-2s? It looks like dual 700 HO can use one EVX-2, but the 775 has those 4 wires coming off of it.

RC Enthusiast
    If you want durability, you should upgrade to RPM parts all around. Their suspension arms, axle carriers, shocktowers, skidplates and whatnot are all very tough and flexible. The RPM True Tracks is also nice for eliminating rear toe-links.

The 775 is a nice little upgrade for the money. It's not much bigger than a 550, but it's more powerful than two 550s which is what I find crazy about it.
    Yeah, I'm looking really seriously at the RPM stuff. Especially the True Track arms. Will the True Tracks be wider than stock? LOL What I'm asking is will I need to do both the fronts and rears at the same time? I got a feeling this project is gonna cost me some $$$ LOL

EDIT: Can anyone give me a link to where to buy the RPM arms? I've looked on Tower, but all I've been able to find is the rear True Track kit.

--Kevin
    Last edited by Pothole0222; 02-22-2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Newbie Helicopter Enthusiast

RC Racer
    Here you go; I have had zero problems with orders from here.

http://www.rcslot.com/pc-radio-contr...a%2Barms%2Bemx

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by phowler
    Here you go; I have had zero problems with orders from here.

http://www.rcslot.com/pc-radio-contr...a%2Barms%2Bemx
    Since I'm not seeing an option to edit my post above, the link is for the 3905. I don't know if it will work for you or not.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by phowler
    Since I'm not seeing an option to edit my post above, the link is for the 3905. I don't know if it will work for you or not.
    Thanks for that! From what I've been able to figure out, all the A-Arms and things of that nature are interchangeable between the 3905/3906... and basically all the Maxx trucks. Looks like I'll need to get 2 packages of the A-Arms and the True Track conversion kit... plus longer axles and turnbuckles. I'll probably be placing another parts order in the next day or so.

--Kevin

RC Competitor
    I just got an older used emaxx from my lhs too. I got it for $40. It needs front diff,bulkhead,skidplate, and driveshaftrs. The rest of it is in great shape. I am going to upgrade my new 3905 emaxx and take the stock parts off it and put on the 3906 one. Its nice to have both style e-maxxs. Hope to have them both done in about a month(need money to buy parts)
    I bash hard!

RC Competitor
    Instead of using nihm or nicd you could use lipo. You can get good lipo batteries for cheap. My 5000mah lipos only cost me $20 each plaus shipping. It isn't needed but would be lots of fun.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorton94
    Instead of using nihm or nicd you could use lipo. You can get good lipo batteries for cheap. My 5000mah lipos only cost me $20 each plaus shipping. It isn't needed but would be lots of fun.
    I'm assuming you're talking about the ******* Lipos (or Flghtmax, etc) sold by Hobby King??? If so, while the prices are outstanding, I have a problem with ordering from other countries... namely shipping costs. That, and I'd not only need to buy batts, but also a new charger coz I doubt my el-cheapo Duratrax charger would do very well with LiPos.... I would like to go LiPo though, and if there were a North American distributor for the ******* (et, al) LiPos I would most certainly be seriously considering the switch. But, for now, I think I'll just stick with NiCd and NiMh.

--Kevin

RC Competitor
    Valuehobbies sell lipos cheap . They are preety good too. They also cell cheap chargers(same ones that ********* sells). Lipos are awsome!! I dont like nimh anymore
    I bash hard!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by efanatic
    Valuehobbies sell lipos cheap . They are preety good too. They also cell cheap chargers(same ones that ********* sells). Lipos are awsome!! I dont like nimh anymore
    I'll have to check them out in a couple weeks or so once I've built the bank account back up a bit... LOL

Now I remember why I got out of the RC hobby in the first place so many years ago (when I sold all my stuff and quit the hobby the first time, the HOT ticket at my local track was the Traxxas TRX-1 in 2wd buggy and the RC-10T in Stadium Truck... that was when the RC10T FIRST came out... with the skinny front tires ... mid/late 90's). This isn't so much a hobby as an addiction!!! I started the teardown process on the Emaxx today after placing an order for Tmaxx 3.3 Knuckles (with bearings), Turnbuckles, A-Arms, and Axles. I figure that stock Tmaxx replacement parts should be strong enough for my Emaxx running stock motors and only 14.4V. At least for a while... When I decide to start upping the power levels with hotter motors and batteries I'll upgrade those parts as necessary.

My wife is starting to get a bit annoyed... maybe I should chill out on the check card for a bit... LOL

It really is funny though... I'm perfectly happy to drive the Slash 4x4 BONE STOCK... LOL

--Kevin

RC Enthusiast
    Parts came in yesterday, but the guy I bought them from accidently sent me a Steering Bellcrank setup from a TMaxx 3.3 instead of the Knuckles I ordered... since I need the bigger bearings in the knuckles to make use of the new axles, and I need the axles to make use of the new A-Arms I'll have to wait until he ships the knuckles to get to rebuilding the Emaxx.

One thing... I noticed more slop than I like in the steering, so I decided to keep the bellcrank and just pay the guy for it... will I be able to use it in my 3906 Emaxx without too much modification???

--Kevin

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothole0222
    I have a problem with ordering from other countries... namely shipping costs. That, and I'd not only need to buy batts, but also a new charger coz I doubt my el-cheapo Duratrax charger would do very well with LiPos.... I would like to go LiPo though, and if there were a North American distributor for the ******* (et, al) LiPos I would most certainly be seriously considering the switch. But, for now, I think I'll just stick with NiCd and NiMh.

--Kevin
    there is an american company that sells the same batteries and everything as *********, here is the link,

http://www.hobbypartz.com/

they sell charger's and all for cheap."batteries never instock is the only bad thing"
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Champion
    Yeah, I'm looking really seriously at the RPM stuff. Especially the True Track arms. Will the True Tracks be wider than stock? LOL What I'm asking is will I need to do both the fronts and rears at the same time? I got a feeling this project is gonna cost me some $$$ LOL

EDIT: Can anyone give me a link to where to buy the RPM arms? I've looked on Tower, but all I've been able to find is the rear True Track kit.

--Kevin

The True Tracks are the same width as stock arms.

I've found the best deals for aftermarket parts on ebay. Just search the part numbers on ebay and you should find a lot of sellers. Then check the seller's other offerings to see what else they have to save with combined shipping.

RC Enthusiast
    The True Tracks are the same width as stock arms.

I've found the best deals for aftermarket parts on ebay. Just search the part numbers on ebay and you should find a lot of sellers. Then check the seller's other offerings to see what else they have to save with combined shipping.
    Thats exactly what I did I got a full set of A-arms, Axles, Knuckles with bearings and pivot balls (although he accidentally shipped a steering bellcrank instead of the knuckles), and Turnbuckles for like $60 shipped. That's about how much I would have paid for just the knuckles, bearings, and pivot balls at my LHS. As much as I'd like to support local businesses, I am trying to keep my total investment in this truck to $250 or less... at least until I get the itch to really start upgrading it I'm currently at $210 including the cost of the truck.

and @ Rustler: Thanks for that link! I'll probably be hitting them up for a couple batts and a charger in a couple months, once I get some money back in the bank.

--Kevin
    Last edited by Pothole0222; 02-27-2010 at 04:29 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Well... its been a long, frustrating journey, but I finally got the 3906 completely back together today! Now, I just wish it wasn't so wet outside so I could go bash on it some... LOL

I'll try to get some pics up later. I've got to say though the difference in the width of the suspension and the "beefyness" of the axles and everything is ASTOUNDING! It looks almost like a brand new truck with all the new suspension pieces and the new body Can't wait to get her good and dirty!!!

FWIW, I traded my 4x4 Slash for a 3905 Emaxx because my son has "claimed" the 3906 that I've been working on (I don't mind, really... I bought the Slash for both of us to play with... now we just have 2 Emaxxs). The 3905 is FUN!!! I got it good and dirty within 20 minutes of bringing it home!

--Kevin

RC Enthusiast

My project Emaxx

I got my 5 year old son an Emaxx for Christmas just past (09) and I liked the new design so much i picked up a roller on ebay and am working on a project brushless emaxx. I'm thinking about using the Tekin RX8 system but these links to kershawdesigns you guys put in this thread have me thinking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirksch...ts/4434545478/

The one in the front is my project Emaxx.

RC Racer
    everyone seems to be picking up rollers, I picked up a 3905, hopefully it will come tomorrow on my day off!

RC Enthusiast
    I'm inspired again. I started dusting off, wrenching and messing with my cars again. The weather is finally letting up in the North east. It was beautiful today.

I've attached a picture of my 1/8 scale Monsters and Buggy with the Son sitting next to his 3905 Emaxx.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirksch...n/photostream/

RC Enthusiast

Spent most of the morning out bashing around with the 2 Emaxx's... Then I decided to rebuild the shocks on both trucks, and I'm glad I did... most of the shocks on the 3906 were pretty well empty (I thought it was kinda weird that would compress the rear suspension so easily with just the slightest tap of the throttle...). Lemme tell you, its a pain in the rear rebuilding 16 shocks all at once!!!

One thing I think is kinda strange though... the 3906 wheelies really easy in both low gear and high gear... Its running on 2 6cell 3000mAh NiMh Duratrax packs (just cheap packs... no sense going high dollar yet ). The 3905 doesn't like to pull the front wheels up at all... and its running on 2 7cell Traxxas series 3 battery packs... The 3905 is quite a bit faster, but the 3906 seems to have more torque... maybe its just the extra weight and longer wheelbase of the 3905...

Sorry I didn't get any pics of the build process, but the 3906 has been upgraded with a full set of Tmaxx 3.3 Arms, Turnbuckles, Knuckles, Axles, and Axle bearings. I think I've decided on an upgrade path for the 2 trucks, and I'm going to keep it simple. So, here's the plan... (in order of importance)
    1.) Titan 775s
    2.) LiPo batts (2x 2s 30C 5000mAh *******'s for each truck)
    3.) 2 Speed kit for the 3905
    4.) Metal Gear Servos
    5.) FLM Bulks
    etc, etc, etc... LOL

--Kevin

RC Competitor
    I went out to play on some sand dunes with my 3905 emaxx with the novak 6.5 in it. Well playing in the yard the 6.5 system is enough to have fun but out on the dunes its no where near enough. I did manage to jump off a 30ft dune and on one of my landings I landed on the front tire and snaped the arm and pins. I did have fun and got to run a set of 5k and a set of 6k lipos while I was out there. I guess I am going to have to break down and get a stronger system for it and put the novak in the 3906.
    I bash hard!

RC Enthusiast
    One thing I think is kinda strange though... the 3906 wheelies really easy in both low gear and high gear... Its running on 2 6cell 3000mAh NiMh Duratrax packs (just cheap packs... no sense going high dollar yet ). The 3905 doesn't like to pull the front wheels up at all... and its running on 2 7cell Traxxas series 3 battery packs... The 3905 is quite a bit faster, but the 3906 seems to have more torque... maybe its just the extra weight and longer wheelbase of the 3905...
    I didn't see an option to edit my previous post, but I wanted to correct this ^^^ a bit...

When driving the 3905 and 3906 separately, the 3905 FEELS faster... but it isn't. This morning, my wife and I took both trucks out and we did a few drag-races. Even though I had to "back pedal" a little to get the 3906's front tires back on the ground, they consistently finished neck and neck. That has me more than a bit confused... I mean, the 3905 with its extra 2.4V of power should be faster... shouldn't it?! I'm also a bit concerned about the battery temps of the 7cell Traxxas batteries in the 3905. One of them got pretty warm (I don't have a temp gun, so I can't give exact temps...) but it was no trouble what so ever to hold the battery in my hand after I took it out of the truck. The other one though got pretty HOT. I could still hold it in my hand without too much problem, but I really don't know why it gets so much hotter. Motor and ESC temps were not a problem at all, which was kind of surprising since we spent a good bit of time running through fairly tall (and damp) grass... I fully expected the motors to be screaming in agony... but they weren't terribly hot. The ESC's barely even felt warm to the touch. FWIW, the outside temp was about 55*F.

--Kevin