RC Competitor

Burning out my spur gear - ***???

- 2 tanks of gas and I've lost 2 spur gears.

- Just bashing around and the centre of the gear is just going out on me.

- Any ideas??

RC Qualifier
    i did this sooo many times when i first got my truck. Dont just replace the spur gear you need a new nut to hold it on. Once you melt the spur a few times the heat melts the nylon in the nut that holds it tight so the nut comes loose during driving causing the spur gear to melt again. Replace the nut and spur and you should fix the problem
    Revo 3.3, Nitro and E Rusty, T-Maxx project

RC Competitor
    - Ok, but how the heck does it happen and how can I avoid it?

RC Qualifier
    it happens when the spur gear nut is too loose...the slipper slips too much creating excess friction causing the plastic to melt...if it happens a few time the nylon in the nut melts too and it will never stay tight. Avoid it by making sure you have it set at the correct tightness with a new nut.

RC Racer
    also how are the slipper pegs. Mine only had 6 (one in every second hole) stock. I now use 12 (every hole filled).

RC Competitor
    - There was only 6. like yours!
    - What purpose do they serve?

- Any idea on the correct tightness?

RC Qualifier
    check your manual but i think it should b between half and 1 turn loose. the slipper pegs create more friction between the clutch and the spur gear. More pegs reduces the slip

Quote Originally Posted by thingsbreak2ez
    it happens when the spur gear nut is too loose...the slipper slips too much creating excess friction causing the plastic to melt...if it happens a few time the nylon in the nut melts too and it will never stay tight. Avoid it by making sure you have it set at the correct tightness with a new nut.
    If the nut came loose wouldn't the spur just fall off? When me and my dad first got into this hobby we kept replacing them session after session until we figured out about gear mesh. Loosen up your engine mounts, and slide a peice of paper inbetween the spur and CB and then push the engine back and 'mesh' the gear teeth and tighten the engien mount + remove paper. Most everyone uses this concept on their rides. I use it on my 2 Nitro rustlers, Jato, and Revo. Loosen the nylon nut a whole turn and work from there. I forget the exact turns on the Rustlers, but The jato is 1 3/4 If I remember correctly. You can hold the spur and try to push the truck on the ground and feel from there.
    Learn by doing

RC Qualifier
    gear mesh can cause the problem too...and i said loose as in slightly...if its barely on there then yes it will fall off

I would buy the steel diff balls. Those friction peg things are worthless.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2760&P=7