Thread: Xl-5

RC Competitor

Question Xl-5

How many volts can the xl-5 hold up to? Can it hold up to 2s lipo? What is a good brushed motor to use for it besides the titan? I want a more reliable engine and maybe a bit more power also. How do you break in and take care of a brushed motor also?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by -slayerevo-
    How many volts can the xl-5 hold up to? Can it hold up to 2s lipo? What is a good brushed motor to use for it besides the titan? I want a more reliable engine and maybe a bit more power also. How do you break in and take care of a brushed motor also?
    I ran my Titan almost exclusively on 2s lipo. I used a low voltage alarm. I got the maxamps one because I needed one fast. I think 2s is pretty much the limit of what it can handle.

While waiting for my brushless setup to get in I purchased a Komodo 19t that I was really happy with. I had to change the gearing a bit to keep the temps down. It's also rebuildable. The performance difference was night and day over the Titan.

There are a few different methods to break in the motor. A search on youtube has some good vids. As far as maintenance I would use a spray motor cleaner followed up with oil on the bushings.

RC Champion
    I ran 3s lipo throught the XL5 before on the stock Titan and it held up fine. This was in a converted nitro 4-tec though, which is a lighter vehicle. Not saying you should try it, just saying it'll handle it.

RC Champion
    I'm not saying you shouldn't purchase a lva but my friend uses a 3s lipo on his xl5 and titan and it is fast and fun, and when the lipo is running low you know it immediately, he has run several packs through it and it still runs and he has not damaged his lipo either.
    I have monkeys dancing in my pants!!!