RC Champion

Question Why do brushless systems have three wires to the motor?

Like the title says... I know it uses positve and ground, but what's the other wire? JW... Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Negative...
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Champion
    So, it use two grounds (negatives) but only one positive?

Google is your friend and there are a lot of sites out there explaining the difference between brushed and BL.

RC Champion
    because its that much better than brushed.
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

RC Champion
    Ok, thanks.....

RC Racer
    A brushless motor is "inside out" compared to your brushed motor. The windings are glued to the inside of the can, and the permanent magnets are bonded to the rotor. Since the wires don't move, you don't need brushes to transfer the electricity.

Take a look at the commutator on the brushed motor. It's cut into multiple sections. Depending on which two sections are in contact with the brushes at any given time, different sections of the windings are energized, creating the magnetic fields that push and/or pull against the fixed magnets in the can.

There are three wires coming from a brushless motor. Inside, all three wires are connected, and wound such that passing DC current through any two connections will create a magnetic field, making the rotor turn a partial revolution. The computerized electronic speed control "commutates" a brushless motor by switching which two wires are being energized in a sequence.

Sensored and sensorless are two types of brushless motors. Sensored motors have a separate sensor, and an additional five wires, that tells the controller which direction and how fast the motor is turning. These are more complicated, more expensive, and difficult to reverse. SensorLESS motors use the fact that when a motor is coasting, it's generating electricity to see which direction and how fast the motor is turning. Knowing this information is crucial to making the motor turn in the correct direction, and knowing which two wires to pass current through at any given time to keep it turning in that direction.

-not my post, taken from another site.
    Tekin RS+13.5=FAST

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They are all positive and negative. The esc pulses power to them to get the rotor spinning.
    Those who throw dirt are bound to lose ground.

RC Champion
    Ok, I get it now. Thanks a lot, guys!