Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Unhappy BoneHead Mistakes !

What Is your biggest bonehead moment workin on your trucks? I have spent many hours wrenchin just doin things wrong . I guess it's the nature of the beast.
    I learn most things the hard way. There are lot's of bonehead mistakes out there.I would like to hear them.
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Champion
    wondering why my truck wont move for 15 minutes when i just put in 3 different DEAD batteries. haha
    is there an 'AA' for RC addicts?

RC Qualifier
    Spent the 1st 2 days after break in replacing slipper clutches BC my idea of tight was apparently too loose..... Would have been helpful to have a support hotline .....but I'm deaf haha

1. Tried starting my TMAXX without fuel in it.

2. No Throttle return spring, left receiver off and carb was wide open. Picture a 40 yr old man holding an EZ start while his jaw is on the ground and his $500.00 RC just went WOT down the road.....

We all make mistakes.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    when my 14mm hub broke on my ERBE and locked up my right front wheel, and then spent the next hour trying to tear apart my diffs. Lucky I was having a hard time and my dad suggested it could be my wheel or something. Spent the next 30 minutes trying to put my car together again.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Revoman859

RC Qualifier
    I put a diff in backwards ONCE!! Yea that was terrible. I was wondering why the truck would not move. I also bought a pro line body and did a awesome flame paint job,I took it out to run and a couple jumps later all the dang paint was chipping off.I spent lots of time on that between paint and trimming.Just a couple of things that have taught me to prep and take my time.
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Champion
    oh please. bonehead should be in my name somewhere. stripped a diff on my merv, took the entire rear end apart, put the diff. back in, and put it all back together.

where was the mistake right? i put the stripped diff right back in lol.
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

RC Champion
    haha^ that takes the cake so far!

RC Champion
    Got a new battery pack and pulled full throttle on the first run. When 10 ft. forward and ran into a water meter and crushed the whole front end of poor Rusty.

I've also dropped Rusty a few times...in the kitchen.
    Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zrau17
    oh please. bonehead should be in my name somewhere. stripped a diff on my merv, took the entire rear end apart, put the diff. back in, and put it all back together.

where was the mistake right? i put the stripped diff right back in lol.

Classic!
    Keep the shiny side up!

I nearly started my house on fire because of my son's Stampede (or I guess it was more my stupidity... ). I had it stripped right down to a bare chassis to clean and inspect it. I was spraying electric motor cleaner into the stock Titan motor to clean it up. Instead of hooking it up to the esc to spin it out, I just grabbed a 6 cell pack and did it "by hand" directly. One little spark and I lost most of the hair on my one arm, started the Titan motor and half of the chassis on fire. Lucky enough I have cement floor in my work room so I just threw everything on the floor and threw a blanket over it. The Titan was the only casuality.
    Last time I do that!
    Kraken Baja
    Traxxas X-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    i have had a "Where do these screws go" moment on my pede, it's a brand new pede i replaced all the bearings in the tranny remounted the tranny had it fully screwed back together and back on the chassis had four screws and two holes, did a quick look around and found the two open holes had to take the tranny back off take the shocks back off reinstall the screws and reassemble the tranny to the chassis my wife had a good laugh i was bragging how quickly i was reassembling my truck then had to tear back into it
    summit, vxl merv,65mph club
    Oh No I Use Acronyms

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!

Lipo!! AAhhhhh!!!

Once I was running my 4-Tec with Mamba and Lipo. I didn't have the cut-off enabled because only having one lipo pack at the time, I usually ran six-cell packs. I usually was O.K. because I would only run for a short time with it in fear of over-discharging it. Well, I was having a blast and got tooooo greedy! I finally stopped and went to pull out the pack and found I couldn't get it out at all. Hmmmm. Strange. Why is my car making cracking sounds? Oh No! Battery is swelling! Went inside and started using a srewdriver to take the bottom of the chassis apart. As I'm standing in my nice new house, I think to myself, what if this thing explodes of catches on fire? Out to the back yard!! Work gloves on now, spinning the screwdriver as fast as I can, repeating in my head, don't blow up, don't blow up. (This was when Lipo's were fairly new and some had a lot of fear about them, including myself at that moment! ) I finally got all the screws out and as soon as the pack was free, the hard case flew apart and I flung the pack across my yard. Phhhweeeewww! Relief! It never blew up and after a night outside I figured it was safe. I ended up cutting off the ballooned cell and rewiring the 11.1 pack and now it's a 7.4 pack that has been working fine for a year and a half. Always use your cut-off kids!!

The aftermath

Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    Replaced the front bulkheads on my E-Maxx. Put everything back together (Lots of screws, hand hurt then found out I put the differential in backwards Front tires spun one way, back tires spun the other way. Took everything back apart, then back together
    Rustler|Brushless Losi XXL

RC Qualifier
    Driving 20 minutes in car to bash with my Rustler and forgetting the radio.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by crusader1
    Done that to
    Rustler|Brushless Losi XXL

RC Enthusiast
    i had a 3.3 jato and the rear sway bar poped off. i knew it and instead of fixing it, i just left it. when i was doing 60 mph down the road that free sway bar caught the gear and gridded the whole gear and then messed up the internals of the tranny.

RC Enthusiast
    did that too..... but not twenty min away at least

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty+Jump=Fun!
    Replaced the front bulkheads on my E-Maxx. Put everything back together (Lots of screws, hand hurt then found out I put the differential in backwards Front tires spun one way, back tires spun the other way. Took everything back apart, then back together
    done that
    done that too
    Remember to drive it like you stole it

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    2. No Throttle return spring, left receiver off and carb was wide open. Picture a 40 yr old man holding an EZ start while his jaw is on the ground and his $500.00 RC just went WOT down the road.....
    :
    Love ya brother. But I woulda paid money to have seen that!
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends!!!

A friend of mine had a couple gallons of new nitro fuel in the trunk of his car. His wife made the comment to him one night that the "new" windshield washer fluid in the trunk was streaking horribly . That would be a pain in the you know what to clean out...LOL!
    Last edited by ajb1205; 02-24-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    Kraken Baja
    Traxxas X-Maxx

RC Racer
    Oh here comes list of stuff lol.

1- Forgot 1 battery at home. I walked at the way to the field to find out i brought one battery in my truck. Had to go back to get it...

2- Put the transmission in backwards.

3- Put one differential in upside down.

4- Forgot the 3rd capacitor on my Dewalt motor. Had terrible range.

5- Tried to drive but forgot to turn the truck on. Looked all over the truck but didn't notice the green light wasn't on

6- Forgot one slipper clutch pad. Couldn't accelerate that well and noticed the motor and clutch was way hot. Saw one clutch missing. It was on my garage floor.

7- Last but not least dumb. For got to put in front center crive shaft after replacing front bulkheads. Drove half the battery packs wondering why my truck was having horrible traction. Then noticed that only by back wheels were spinning when I flipped over...
    14.4v dewalt, e-maxx
    Xbox 360 garp21

RC Champion
    thread of the month!

RC Qualifier
    WOW ! I am laughing my butt off ! All this just puts a smile on my face. I keep reading and laughing. Keep it up.
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Qualifier
    I once took all of my parts off my e-maxx to look at the differential gears. I look at it, everythings great. put it back together, I put the case on upside down! so I had to take it apart again and put it back together.
    R.I.P Paul Gray
    1972-2010

RC Champion
    I actually haven't made any bonehead moves while wrenching yet. I'm kind of surprised at that.

I guess the only stupid thing I've done is the time I flipped my Summit over on it's side. It was far away, so instead of walking out to it and putting it back on all-fours like I should have done, I decided I'd try giving it full throttle while turning the wheel back and forth. I didn't get her back on her feet, but I did shred the heck out of a front axle.

If there was a bright side, the truck was still drivable, so I was able to finish my run. And a rear wheel drive Summit on dirt is pretty fun.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Qualifier
    put the axles on my scaler on backwards.. so rear went foreward, front went backwards.

forgot about the EP adjustment on my new radio and spent about 4 hours trying to figure out why my rusty had about half the steering radius.

didnt tighten motor mount screws and it backed out and shedded spur..

RC Qualifier
    My dad was bragging how fast my maxx was and i took it to show him with dead batteries...I picked up the wrong set...It wasn't very fast... they all laughed at me and flew back to colorado...

Put the back end together in my maxx and forgot the diff...I was very mad and tired.

Ran my truck with no body because i had just put in a new motor, I forgot to tighten the setscrew on the pinion gear so during a WOT run across my back yard my pinion went flying... I had to buy a new pinion after 2 min LOL
    Last edited by HobbyLover; 02-24-2010 at 09:04 PM.
    E-Maxx | T-Maxx 3.3 | (2) MERV's | YZ250F

RC Champion
    +1 i lost a pinion like that too... that WONT happen again. if it does i will revive this thread!

RC Qualifier
    I finally got Li-Po's for Rusty, so after re-programming the Mamba Max, I went for the maiden run. For some odd reason my MM would not arm. I had no idea why. I figured it had something to do with the programming. Spent 20 minutes trying to get it work, only to find out I didn't have the crystals in the TX.

RC Qualifier
    the worst ive done is tried for like 20 mins to pull start my revo....didnt have the glow plug igniter on it.

i heard of people leaving the clamp on the fuel line clamped shut and trying to start their truck
    Slash 2x4 VXL
    Slash 2x4 XL-5
    Slash 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Me and a buddy decided to do some late night bashing in a parking lot of a big company on the edge of town. When we got there, some security guards came out to see what we were doing there. So we showed em our toys and what they could do and they were genuinly impressed. They said "ok boys we dont wanna be the bad guys, so just be cool, play nice and there wont be any problems. Oh, and just so you know, your being monitored by those camera's" (as he points to them). And they turn and start to walk away.

Here comes the crazy part. My buddy was using a starter box for starting his losi. He had it running off of jumper cables from his 1:1 truck batt. He accidently kicked off one of the terminals so they started to short out and welded themselves together. The cables sheathing caught fire. This is happening right after the guards had turned and started walking away. By the time they heard the all the commotion and turned around, we had already stomped out the fire and were just standing there smiling with the smoke from our little fire still blowing around us, lookin really guilty. They didnt say a word!

Talk about bonehead mistakes tho, huh? There was 2 gallons of nitro fuel not even 4 feet from the fire too. Coulda been MUCH worse!
    Anyways, thats my story. Sorry so long.
    Mr nitro? Not since going brushless!

RC Champion
    surprisingly i havent done to to many things, i put in a diff in my slash and had the whole tranny and all together and ready to go. then saw 4little screw sitting on the workbench, they were the 4screws that hold the diff in one peice..
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Champion
    haha great stories

my all time bonehead move was when i tried to start my revo using a pull start. i tried so hard that my fingers started to blister and bleed so i brought it to my lhs and wouldent u know it the fuel clamp was clamped on the fuel line..... i looked like such a newb dummy so the guy felt bad for me and gave me 2 extra glo plugs
    RC RUNS IN MY BLOOD!

R
    E
    V
    O

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    driving around with the glow igniter still attached.
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    After reading some of these I remembered some of the other dumb things I have done...

Tried in vain to start my T-Maxx for like twenty minutes, turning screws and cursing......then turned the battery switch on. Then spent awhile getting the thing running right again.

Painting my first body all nice; pinstripes, flames, etc. VERY proud of it until shortly into the first run, I realized Krylon just doesn't cut it!

Painting a Mustang body to exactly match my wife's car and while we were watching it's maiden speed run, I got to close to the curb at like 50mph, hit a pebble, hit the lip of the curb and flew into my own mailbox like a plane. Body done, front end crushed, wife laughing, ego dented.

Telling my buddy how waterproof my scaler was. I made boxes sealed with silicone for the ESC & spektrum receiver, and sealed up my servos. He kept saying I was nuts for driving in the water repeatedly. Turned out he was in fact correct. Tossed away a lot of money that day when all the electronics were toasted. Now I run an XL-5 and a Slash box. Like a submarine now!

Rebuilding my old E-Maxx from the ground up with ALL upgraded parts and turning it on in my living room. I decided to pull a wheelie on the carpet. So much power, it did a standing backflip. COOL! Until I realized I broke both rear axles and messed up the diff!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    Yeah I agree, thread of the month.

One time I started up my truck, and the thing went WOT, and I couldn't figure out why. So I ended up completely redoing the linkages on the servo horn, about 20 minutes worth of wrenching and testing, I did everything to correct the problem, except the right thing.

It ended up being that I didn't change models on my radio back to what I was running.

My cousin kept telling me his buggy was going in reverse, we get out to run the thing, and I find out he's been starting it on the starter box backwards the whole time.
    Don't mess with the Cyber Bully

RC Champion
    forgot to put the wheel nuts back on my 2 rear tyres and pulled the maxx away just to watch it get 6ft away an the wheels wobble of and roll down the road lol
    we can rebuild it, we can make it faster, stronger

RC Qualifier
    Wondering why my rear tyres were not spinning while my front ones were..... because of a broken shaft.
    T-Maxx 3.3 = 4yr old
    HPI RS4 = 3yr old

RC Competitor
    Switched the throttle to 70/30 without reprogramming, then started my revo 3.3. Burned up a glow plug cause when it took off it still had my glow igniter clamped on.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast