RC Competitor

Very happy with new Summit after a few upgrades...

Well I think I'm finally done upgrading my Summit. Coming from the ERBE side my stock Summit was a bit lacking for out of box thrill. It crawled fairly well with the stock setup but the high speed was definately not up to my personally liking.

I swapped in a Tekin RX8/ 2250kv combo powered by a set of Hyperion G3-VX6500 2S Lipo's in series. After the powertrain upgrades I upgraded the stock radio gear to the 2.4 TRX setup. Next I swapped over RPM front arms, Lundsford titanium links, and Traxxas hard anodized pivot balls, rocker posts, and hollow balls all around from my ERBE to try to shave a bit of weight.

Then, I noticed the stock tires while good for crawling were horrible for higher speeds due to the unpredictable wobbling. Finally, I bit the bullet and after many hours of searching for the right tire / wheel combo decided to install RC4WD's new Rok Loks 40 series tires mounted on Axial Rockster Narrow rims.

I'm very happy with the overall setup now and have the best of both worlds. I sold both my ERBE and Losi Comp Crawler as this Summit fits the bill for all the above for me. It crawls awesome with the powertrain tire combo and with a quick swap out of the pinion and tires can match the original speeds that my ERBE did. Great job Traxxas on designing a rig that is so multi tasking with just a few minor upgrades!

I have also found that the grip of the new tires is much better than the stock for crawling and at high speed, they are perfectly balanced.

The other interesting thing I've found is the low range rarely gets used. The power output of the Tekin combo is so smooth and has so much torque that high range is all that is needed.

Well onto a few poser pics of my completed rig.

and one last one for the artsy folks...
    Summit; Tekin RX8, RPM a-arms, Lunsford items

RC Champion
    So, do you find that those beadlocks hold up well under the brushless power of the Tekin combo? I mostly am referring to the high speed stuff, but crawling too.
    Two Rusty VXLs, M2Ks 18/83 - Tag! You're it!

RC Competitor
    So far so good. I've only had them on for a week so time will tell. I did strip three out during installation. I used my cordless screw gun so that might have done it but I plan on retapping the holes to the next larger size thread someday anyway.

Plus, I don't mash it from a dead stop as my slipper just doesn't hold up well enough especially with these larger tires. I'm working on a new slipper clutch design (all aluminum). I'll report after I get my prototypes made...

RC Qualifier
    I love those tires... But I have enough trouble with my summit without wearing the slipper out too =(

RC Qualifier
    How did you mount the rx8?

What pinion/spur are you running?
    JRx2, Mini-Z, MRC, Summit, Slash, Revo VXL, etc.

RC Champion
    Your Summit looks great!

The tires are a little narrow for my tastes, but they still look mean.

I'm just curious as to why you installed RPM front arms. Did you actually manage to break the stock arms?
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Champion
    VERY NICE. Could you please post a few pics with the body off so we can see THE GOOD STUFF!

Bob

RC Competitor
    Well after a half hour of bashing around in the snow last night I finally broke a rear CV joint. It was all my fault as I hit a jump and kept the throttle pinned with the rear end locked. I landed power on and heard a snap... Only a $6 replacement and its back up and running. I must say, these half shafts on the Summit do seem to be stronger than the oringinal u-joint Revo ones.

The tires are awesome in deep snow! It is hard to explain, the stock ones just would sit and spin while these keep on digging. The extra 1.5" height is sure to help but the tread pattern has siping and I think that adds to the grip. Also, a quick jab of throttle and they clean right out. I'm very happy with these. Hopefully they mud just as well...

The Tekin is mounted in the same location as the original ESC. I drilled holes through the battery compartment to locate bottom screws into the Tekin base. The switch is just hanging out for now until I mount it better. So far so good though.

A few pics for those inquiring!

RC Champion
    Your Summit is looking good. I just put the 1350kV Tekin system in mine, and I agree it crawls really well. What pinion/spur are you running with your 2250kV motor and larger tires?

My 1350kV just doesn't have quite enough speed on 4s, but I don't want to gear up or volt up. I may need to switch to a hotter motor.
    Save 10% of the money you make..... you'll never regret it.

RC Competitor
    For now, I'm running the stock pinion and 65T spur gear. The acceleration has def. slowed from the stock tires but the top speed is comparable if not a bit higher. Its still cold here in NY so the temps are not an issue. I may have to gear down a bit more in the summer - time will tell...

RC Competitor
    those tires look sick! I like how nowadays so many tires look like their real life counterparts. I'd get those tires but i would think that they break during bashing. I wen't with badlands for high speed bashing or else I would have gotten these I think. How does it handle / do parts break around 35mph +

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by revodude14
    those tires look sick! I like how nowadays so many tires look like their real life counterparts. I'd get those tires but i would think that they break during bashing. I wen't with badlands for high speed bashing or else I would have gotten these I think. How does it handle / do parts break around 35mph +
    RC4WD tires are serious business. I don't think they'll break because your bashing with them. I have the Mudslingers and the quality is top notch. They are soft enough to deform on rocks but there isn't any compromise in strength. Can you say .... Beefy! I'm sure they can pizza cutter up if you're running a hot setup (say over 45 or 50mph) but that's not thier purpose so its to be expected.

RC poster

summit

awsum summit,if only i had one /cry

RC Champion

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by healthyfatboy
    Correct. Buy two of each and you have 4 complete tires/rims.

Why doesn't anyone sell a complete set of rims or tires?! I know that if you break one you don't want to buy four, but it is a pain finding the rim set you like and there only being the one set of two in stock!
    2.4Ghz Dewalt E-Remmit

RC Qualifier
    Set ups like this make me seriously consider trading out my erbe for a Summit brushless- should we call it a SUBE.... Ill go with that. I'm starting to really see that it is easier to turn a Summit into a do everything truck than the erbe (including crazy fast). Question though, I wonder how the locking diffs will hold up to brushless bashing as I have torn up 2 on my erbe already with a proper slipper? Also since you did pretty much what I would do (I think) and sold the erbe- keeping preferred parts and setting up the SUBE with them. What was the cost difference approximately? I know this will vary but a rough estimate would be nice, thanks.
    That's Just How I Roll o==o>

Quote Originally Posted by nitrochulo
    RC4WD tires are serious business. I don't think they'll break because your bashing with them. I have the Mudslingers and the quality is top notch. They are soft enough to deform on rocks but there isn't any compromise in strength. Can you say .... Beefy! I'm sure they can pizza cutter up if you're running a hot setup (say over 45 or 50mph) but that's not thier purpose so its to be expected.
    +1000 I'm running the crushers they are awsome tires there $$$$ but like alot of things you get what u pay for.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakyT333
    Set ups like this make me seriously consider trading out my erbe for a Summit brushless- should we call it a SUBE.... Ill go with that. I'm starting to really see that it is easier to turn a Summit into a do everything truck than the erbe (including crazy fast). Question though, I wonder how the locking diffs will hold up to brushless bashing as I have torn up 2 on my erbe already with a proper slipper? Also since you did pretty much what I would do (I think) and sold the erbe- keeping preferred parts and setting up the SUBE with them. What was the cost difference approximately? I know this will vary but a rough estimate would be nice, thanks.
    Sorry to just be getting back to everyone. Summertime hobbies (outside of RC's) have taken over and I haven't been on the board much lately.

As for the cost difference it is hard for me to weigh in on because I built my ERBE up from parts starting with a stock 3.3 Revo as a base.

The locking diffs are holding up just fine. The most important thing to remember with locking diffs is that there shouldn't be any relative motion between the spider gears inside the diff while locking or unlocking. The relative speed will put load on the shift mechanism and over time break it. (Same goes with traditional style automotive or ATV locking diffs.) If you shift them in and out in a straight line with low ground speed they should last as long as the stock open diffs the Revo's come with.

I have broken one rear axle so far due to a power on landing event that was all my fault. Other than that, the rest of the drivetrain has held up just fine.

I had the vehicle in aprox. 6" of thick mud over the past weekend and the tires would eat right through it. I was overly impressed!

I do need to gear down now though. After ten minutes of low speed mud crawling, the Tekin motor started to sputter at low speeds. It would come to life when I laid into the throttle more and once cooled off it would return to working fine at low speeds.

The ESC never hit thermal shutdown so I believe the added torque demand from the large tires, ambient temp, and thick mud are taxing the motor to much. I'll try again over this weekend with the stock spur gear and if that doesn't help perhaps move onto a higher torque motor...