Thread: TRX V's DEANS ?

RC Qualifier

TRX V's DEANS ?

Just wondering if anyone knows which would be best going on my mamba max with stock velineon motor. I know the trx plugs are good quality but they are a bit pricey as i got 10 pair of deans for very little and my mamba has a deans on it already ! So is there any real advantages as both are gold plated

RC Champion
    IMO TRX connectors give a much better connection and are worth the extra $$
    is there an 'AA' for RC addicts?

RC Champion
    I prefer Deans. Easier to solder IMO and much easier to reuse.
    http://www.youtube.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/TractorKid7

RC Champion
    deans for me trx plugs have been nothing but a pain (hard to solder and hard to unplug) while deans are easy to solder and easy to use and concerining connection that really comes down to how well you solder the plug cause you can mess them both up
    My car learned how to fly then forgot the landing

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by watrfrndlyrusty
    deans for me trx plugs have been nothing but a pain (hard to solder and hard to unplug) while deans are easy to solder and easy to use and concerining connection that really comes down to how well you solder the plug cause you can mess them both up
    I use the TRX, I also rub a little contact grease on the connectors to make them easier to unplug.
    2 MERV's
    2 1/18 Mini Desert Truck & Buggy

RC poster
    Have used both, but I prefer Traxxas, they are easier to solder.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker
    same as. for me, the deans were too difficult to solder to be worth the effort - after much melted plastic, too.

i guess the bonus is the connector is smaller, so easier to manage, especially if you run multiple batteries.
    ... oh, and sorry about your wallet

RC Qualifier
    Deans for me, easier to solder... but it does take practice.

RC Qualifier
    The only negative aspect of the deans is that changing the connectors on a traxxas esc voids the warranty, so I just made a deans to traxxas connector for my lipos. Deans are better though.
    50 characters? Fail.

RC Qualifier
    I preffer Traxxas easier to solder easier to work with and I can actually grab ahold of the connector itself. I use deans for motor connections thou.... Both are great IMO
    Traxxas should just cash my checks for me

RC Champion
    I've done over a hundred traxxas connectors, and probably over 50 Dean's.
    I've learned tricks to make both easy to solder:

Use electronic flux or Oatley #95 FLUX!
    When pre-tinning the wire ... flow enough solder to get a blob of solder on the bottom.

Traxxas ... clamp a popsicle stick sideways over the no solder zone (on a non-burn surface). It keeps the solder off the connector and gives you something to push against. FLUX the tab. Put the blob down and use a 60 watt iron from above. Hold until you see the flow (with a rag or .... burn fingers ) ... do the next one.

Dean's .... Plug in a blank mateing connector. This keeps things aligned properly.
    Get a small blob of solder on the tab (remeber flux the tab first). Put on heat shrink and slide away from heat!! Now go blob to blob with a 60 watt iron from above. Stop as soon as you see it flow.

or EZ coupler for Dean's from Maxx products #2818 which makes Dean's very simple to do!!

Solder connections should be nice and shiney. Clean off flux (carb cleaner for electronic flux, water for Oatleys).

I use a Weller W60P with a 1/8" wide tip for power stuff. It can be done with a 40 watt iron just as well.

I use Dean's in all my personal aircraft and Traxxas in all my personal ground vehicles.

That being said .... Both are great connectors.

If you can't solder Dean's and want small .... check out the Hobby City XT60 connectors.

Bob

RC Qualifier
    Thanks a lot guys a lot of good advice.
    I went with the deans and only 1 slight melt so put a fresh one on
    So all is good and now just need the strong sticky pads to mount my mamba and rx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker
    X2....Traxxas are easier to grab hold of while unplugging and you don't have to worry about melting the connector while soldering. No need for shrink wrap with the Traxxas plugs either. Changed all my Dean's over to Traxxas!

RC Qualifier
    YES TRAXXAS FOR THE WIN! someone argued that deans had more surface area for current but isn't one side a spring like thing for it to stay in?
    Slash 1/10/VXL
    Slash 1/16/VXL/2S
    for sale.

RC Champion
    i use deans and have ad no probs ... i find that the are harder to disconnect than the trx ones
    RC RUNS IN MY BLOOD!

R
    E
    V
    O

RC Qualifier
    I vote for traxxas connectors. They are much easier to pull apart. They are also much easier to solder.

RC Champion
    Deans at the begining of my rc hobby but then changed to traxxas. Much easier to pull apart, super easy to solder, more contact surface, no heat shrink tubing, and for me I like the looks better. Terry
    X3-RC8T/X2 ERBE/Losi SCTE/SC10 4x4/Baja 5SC/Rusty