Mattyb91193

Have to make a vehicle decision

Well heres the deal for me. My father owns a car dealership and i would like a vehicle. lol. i got my liscense about three weeks ago and have been just slapping dealer plate on whatever and driving it. My dad has a couple vehicles at the moment that he would allow me to buy.

- 2003 GMC sonoma Reg cab, silver 2wd 5 spd. 181,000 miles. for $1,200
    - 2000 Olds Bravada White leather loaded sunroof. awd 128,000. for 2,500

Mind you i do live in upstate ny. lol we tend to get a lot of snow.

Now the deal i i want a chevy colorado. I have my whole life. He just cant seem to find one cheap enough for me. Around $5,500. So should i jump on one of those rides or should i just wait till he gets his income tax check back and hope a colorado pops up? wat do u guys think?

You may want to be careful about telling people you are slapping dealer plates on a car and diving it around, the plates are only to be used for purposes of the dealership, not personal use. If you ever got pulled over or in an accident with those plates you could be in deep trouble.

On to your question, I would go for the sonoma for the time being. Is it a 4-banger or a 6-cyl?
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    The problem with the Chevy Colorado is that it hasn't really been around long enough for the value to have dropped that low. They started selling those in what 2003 or 20004? If those two vehicles were my only options, I would take the pickup, just because there is less to go wrong with it and less to maintain. Frankly 4x4 isn't all it's cracked up to be, you will be a better driver in the snow in the future if you get some stick time in a two wheel drive pickup anyway. As long as you have some decent tires and a bit of weight in the back you should be able to go anywhere that you have any business being in the snow, if you can't, you don't really have any business being out and about anyway, just getting in the way of the snow plows. Have you thought about asking your father to take you to a dealer auction or something? Maybe that Colorado would pop up at a dealer wholesale type of price.

In most places I have lived, that thing with the dealer tags is extremely loosely enforced, if you had an accident or something, you might get a ticket or something, but I would be more worried about what the insurance company would say, especially with a 16 years old(I'm assuming) driver, most insurance companies would probably require an adult driver for them to be covered driving dealer owned vehicles.
    Last edited by rusty stampede; 03-03-2010 at 11:28 PM.

RC Qualifier
    honestly out of those two the gmc is the better, from what I've seen bravadas just don't hold up very well, with you living in NY where snow is an issue, you might be better off with a car or something like that, 4x4's are good, but 4x4's stop like a 2wd on ice/snow, meaning they don't

also the olds will cost considerably more to fix compared to the GMC, simply because its an olds, they are A. no longer around, and B. a "higher" end GM product, the sonoma you can find parts for in pretty much every junk yard

They're obviously both the same platform, but as others have said, the Bravada will be considerably more expensive to keep up with the inevitable minor failures while dealing with a much smaller supply of available parts. The Sonoma is 99% identical to one of the most common vehicles on the face of the planet. I'd go with the Sonoma, hands-down.

Relatedly, the Sonoma is probably a 2.2L, eh? If so, it's so slow that it's hilariously fun going WOT everywhere without anyone else realizing it. Every stoplight is a white-knuckle, pink-slip drag race that only you know about.
    Six in a row makes it go.

RC Racer
    I would go with the bravada. For snow you would not regret getting an awd vehicle. My dad has a 93 beater bravada with 170,000 on it and the biggest repair it ever needed was a new steering pump. I live in wisconsin and we get enough snow and 4wd is nice. My cousin had brand new 04 ranger with 2wd and i had a 93 explorer with 4wd. I had to pull him out atleast 3 or 4 times that winter for getting stuck. He even got stuck once in his own driveway after a big snow storm. You can get by with 2wd in winter but it will make traveling more difficult. I have never gotten stuck yet with 4wd and i am one of those nuts that will drive through a blizzard just to get where i am going.

RC Racer

Who's buying?

If it's your dads money, which I'm guessing it is since you mentioned waiting for him to get his taxes back, why don't you act like a grateful child and tell him you will take whatever is cheapest or whatever he thinks is best.

You have wanted a Colorado your whole life, which is what 16-17 years, son your life hasn't even started yet.

RC Competitor
    My opinion is to go with the cheapest piece of junk that you can find (as long as it is safe). It's your first car and you will probably tear up anything you get until you have driven for a while. (my sister and brother-in-law bought my neice her first car a few years ago and supposedly while researching he found a statistic that said that 50% of teens will have an accident in the first year of having their liscence)Then when you kill your first car you can get a better car to match your better driving ability.

Later,

Mark

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by POD87
    I would go with the bravada. For snow you would not regret getting an awd vehicle. My dad has a 93 beater bravada with 170,000 on it and the biggest repair it ever needed was a new steering pump. I live in wisconsin and we get enough snow and 4wd is nice. My cousin had brand new 04 ranger with 2wd and i had a 93 explorer with 4wd. I had to pull him out atleast 3 or 4 times that winter for getting stuck. He even got stuck once in his own driveway after a big snow storm. You can get by with 2wd in winter but it will make traveling more difficult. I have never gotten stuck yet with 4wd and i am one of those nuts that will drive through a blizzard just to get where i am going.
    4wd and awd are great for getting moving yes, but all cars stop the same on snow and ice, a 4wd will stop just like a 2wd

RC Champion
    I'd go with the truck, just because like mentioned it will be cheaper to replace parts on. The 2wd isn't really an extreme con once you get used to it if you have good tires. My camaro see's alot of snow action here in Wyoming and the first week I had it I got stuck twice but since then I've learned how to drive it and have no difficulties in the snow. And you have a bed to add sand bags in so you have more weight over the wheels.

MDB- Thats a real statistic I'm guessing, my drivers ed teachers forces it into our heads all the time. And after seeing some of the kids at school and how they drive I'd say its a real statistic. I've seen 4 wrecks of careless driving in this semester alone. Next year the highschool campus for juniors and seniors is alot more strict on driving and such. I got a ticket for parking in welding when its right next to the auto class I was in that had no parking.
    What shall I put here?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR
    Relatedly, the Sonoma is probably a 2.2L, eh? If so, it's so slow that it's hilariously fun going WOT everywhere without anyone else realizing it. Every stoplight is a white-knuckle, pink-slip drag race that only you know about.
    so true, i have a plymoth neon 2.0 single cam, that means 0-60 in about 60-65 seconds. and it does not matter if its pedal to the metal or a normal pressed pedal...its all the same speed. so yes i have a sixty second car.
    Rustler VXL SPC Power
    4-tec 5700K MM SPC Power

Quote Originally Posted by I sniff Nitro
    so true, i have a plymoth neon 2.0 single cam, that means 0-60 in about 60-65 seconds. and it does not matter if its pedal to the metal or a normal pressed pedal...its all the same speed. so yes i have a sixty second car.
    You want slow, take a ride in an automatic geo metro, the early-mid 90's hatches. 3 cylinder 1 liter motor making something like 86 horsepower at the crank, so maybe 60 at the wheels. If you sprinted next to it you would most likely win for a while until you hit top speed. My one friend had one (think he still does) as his beater car and he has just embraced all the criticism to the point where he doesnt even care because of the great gas mileage.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetdemon
    You may want to be careful about telling people you are slapping dealer plates on a car and diving it around, the plates are only to be used for purposes of the dealership, not personal use. If you ever got pulled over or in an accident with those plates you could be in deep trouble.
    You'd be suprised on how many dealers actually "slap dealers plates" on customer vehicles. The dealer I work at does it all the time. Bigggest issue with getting pulled over with dealer plates is insurance. Other than that, there shouldn't be a problem.

As people stated before, since it will be your first car, you will probably tear it up and probably wreck. No offense to you, but it is a fact that teenagers are involved in more accidents. So your best bet is to go with something cheap, like the Sonoma.

Found this on the CDC website:
    "Young people ages 15-24 represent only 14% of the U.S. population. However, they account for 30% ($19 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries among males and 28% ($7 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries among females.3"

My best friend has a 2003 Ford Ranger work truck. 2wd 6 cylinder with a 5 speed. He has 4 80lb concrete blocks in the bed of his truck. Even before he had his tires replaced, he was getting around just fine in the snow, but even better with new tires. With a manual transmission, you will also learn to control your speed because you are actually in control of the truck.

Quick story: I'm from Omaha, NE and this past winter was terrible for snow. There was a certain unpaved road near a shopping center that was unplowed, loose and packed snow, and ruts anywhere from 3 inches to 1foot. We watched a wrangler and a ram1500 get stuck on this street ten minutes apart. My buddy went through right after these vehicles were pulled out and we didn't have any troubles getting through. Only problem was the spilled pop I was holding.

Its all about how you drive your vehicle. So in my opinion, get the Sonoma. Its easier on parts, cheaper, and you have a bed if you every need to haul anything. And I'm sure your dad will be happy if you don't get the most expensive vehicle.

RC Qualifier
    Only problem was the spilled soda I was holding.
    There, I fixed it for you.
    When I moved here from Colorado it took a while for people to figure out what I was talking about. I'd get the "deer in headlights" look when I would ask for a "pop". Now I look at people funny when they call it "pop".

RC Qualifier
    i would keep driving around with the dealer plates till i saved up the money to get what i wanted. if the kid has to work hard for his money to get a truck and its a nice truck then most likely they will be more careful in it compared to just a cheap beater. just my opinion tho
    Slash 2x4 VXL
    Slash 2x4 XL-5
    Slash 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend either. But the Bravada is a WAY better choice. Same thing as an S10 Blazer...just different badges. A single cab S truck has zero space. You may not think its a big deal now, but get to driving for a while and you'll hate it. I hated small spaces so much I bought an '05 Silverado crew cab so I could get out of my S10.

I have a 98 S10...and while its been dead reliable...I've never been impressed with it. It has a 2.2L 4 banger and an automatic. Terribly slow and the gas mileage isn't worth the hassle. Granted, I know mine has 156,000 miles but its literally falling apart despite being taken care of.

But that's just me. I much prefer the fullsize trucks. Way easier to work on and hold up better. Not to mention the V6 single cab Chevy's will get the same gas mileage those ratty little S trucks will.

I wouldn't settle for the junkiest ride just because your a new driver, either. It'll just cost you in the long run.