Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Champion

Anyone have a street legal 10 second car

I have seen a few posts about cars on here and was wonder who all out there has a faster ones. For the sake of argument I am defining 10-second as 10 to 10.999 in 1/4 mile.

My beloved STI fails in comparison in the low 13s.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Qualifier
    My Chevy diesel takes 10 seconds for the glow plug light to go out so I can start it...LOL does that count?
    The Bashing Grounds
    Ross M.
    5-Pointer!

RC Qualifier
    my plymouth neon 2 cylinder single cam does 0-60 in 60 seconds, thats if its down hill with wind at my back... that has to be close to a 10 second car.... haha
    Rustler VXL SPC Power
    4-tec 5700K MM SPC Power

RC Racer
    There are guys around here with street legal 8 Second cars...

No-one brags about a 10 second car anymore.

You can make a stock 2008 C6 Corvette a 10 second car with about $3500. LOL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by OCD RC
    My beloved STI fails in comparison in the low 13s.
    Maybe but it out corners & out brakes nearly ever <10 sec car around

Quote Originally Posted by PBO
    What year is the STI? Wagon or no?

EDIT: Sorry quoted wrong person...
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    I like the Evo myself, but my uncle has a street legal 7.5 second car..does that count??
    E-Maxx | T-Maxx 3.3 | (2) MERV's | YZ250F

RC Qualifier
    Please post a pic of your 8 second street legal car.Im kinda skeptical,and you surely don't live in mass.
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Racer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN6E-...om=PL&index=12its not 10 second but probably the fastest your ever gonna see oh ya check out their site and look at all the stuff they got there really cool
    what smells like supdawg???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrofool
    Please post a pic of your 8 second street legal car.Im kinda skeptical,and you surely don't live in mass.
    I need to find my issue of Hot Rod Magazine from one of the Drag Weeks. They had a 1st gen Camaro that was either in the 8's or 7's. Drove over a thousand miles from track to track for a week. It was street legal. Atleast enough to get license plates

Edit: For that matter there was another issue with a car dipping into the 6's I want to say that still had air conditioning. They ordered fast food in the drive through with it.

One of my favorites though was Parish. Had an '03 Silverado 4WD, single cab. Street legal, daily driven. Just barely made it into the 9s. However that was a few years back when those numbers were impressive for a truck. Now its not so much.
    Last edited by SimpleGreen; 03-10-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Sometimes street legal and passing inspection are entirely different though... I know I can get my Nova to pass inspection, but it technically shouldn't (also by no means a 10 second car, probably not even a 15 second car as it sits) but it's just an example. As far as having license plates... all you need is a vehicle title to get them. If I wanted to I could buy a "car" that was nothing but the vin plate attached and get a license plate for it, they don't know what it looks like. I too would like to see this 7.5 second street legal car.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakushan

You can make a stock 2008 C6 Corvette a 10 second car with about $3500. LOL
    You still gotta buy the car though, which isn't cheap.

I have an 11sec Mitsu. On the street even 11's feels ridiculous, all I can ever do is a wide open throttle pull through second gear and even that can probably land me in jail. I can't imagine 10's, 9's, or even 8's. Out on the country roads and freeway is a bit different though.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Racer
    i dont own a fast car and havent had a change to drive a quatermile. but here is my time to shine: http://personal.inet.fi/cool/korppi/gtxseko.txt

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    You still gotta buy the car though, which isn't cheap.

I have an 11sec Mitsu. On the street even 11's feels ridiculous, all I can ever do is a wide open throttle pull through second gear and even that can probably land me in jail. I can't imagine 10's, 9's, or even 8's. Out on the country roads and freeway is a bit different though.

Do you have the Evo? X? 2008 or 2010? Thanks
    Last edited by HobbyLover; 03-10-2010 at 09:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme maxx
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN6E-...om=PL&index=12its not 10 second but probably the fastest your ever gonna see oh ya check out their site and look at all the stuff they got there really cool
    I don't want to be a he said she said but my cousin races a 2450 hp 2400 pound car at new england dragway.He turns in times at 6.2-6.7 seconds at 230-240 mph in the 1/4. The car will not ever be on the street ever.That much hp is incredible,every run gets an oil change and new plugs.There are lots of fast cars on the road but when your turning 8's that is pushing street limits.10's are just about any hot rod runnin slicks and open headers.My jeep will propbally run low 20's.If any one is farmilliar with N E Dragway,let me know .The car in the video is awesome but not something your gonna go get milk and eggs in.It takes alot to get 2000 horses you can't just go to mobil and fill up!
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Racer
    redemption ! what country would any of those be a street legal!?

Edited for Language
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-10-2010 at 10:27 PM.

That 63 LeMans is not a street car. Just because he drove it on the street doesn't mean it's legal. For one thing it had no hood, not legal. Didn't sound liek it had an exhaust either. I know turbo cars you can get away with it sometimes, but making 1250 HP would still put out a nice roar.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by redemption
    LOL.. You dont believe me? Look him up, His name is Marco.

What country you ask? USA
    any country.

RC Qualifier
    I bought, and still have, a '07 Vette and it should be a 12.5 car .... just won't hook! But it is a BLAST to drive and still gets 30+ MPG on the highway! I keep throwing money into it, just like nitro cars!
    US Navy retired, now - FAA air traffic controller

Turbo cars are kinda tough to classify into the "street car" kinda thing, especially with the sophisticated systems as far as computer controlled (laptop that is) ECU's. Being able to completely change the whole tune and change the turbo boost pressure from 42- 5 or 6 as well as changing fuel and the tune would probably knock that car WAY down on HP to something that might only run about 11.5 or more in it's true street trim. As far as fuels go, is it legal to run race gas on the street? because technically that gas wouldn't be street legal because it didn't have a road tax applied to it by the D.O.T, same reason runnig "farm" diesel on the street is illegal.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by streetdemon
    Turbo cars are kinda tough to classify into the "street car" kinda thing, especially with the sophisticated systems as far as computer controlled (laptop that is) ECU's. Being able to completely change the whole tune and change the turbo boost pressure from 42- 5 or 6 as well as changing fuel and the tune would probably knock that car WAY down on HP to something that might only run about 11.5 or more in it's true street trim. As far as fuels go, is it legal to run race gas on the street? because technically that gas wouldn't be street legal because it didn't have a road tax applied to it by the D.O.T, same reason runnig "farm" diesel on the street is illegal.
    I think it depends on where you live...and what you call street legal.

In Louisiana laws are extremely lax. My '93 Chevy would fail emissions in any state that requires it. All of the fuel injection is gone and I actually removed the service engine soon light bulb from the gauge cluster. It passes inspection every time. 1995 and back they simply check the lights/horn/windshield and do a gas cap check. 1996 and up they make sure it passes a computer scan...which it will almost every time unless the SES light is on.

Personally, I call it street legal if it A) Has plates and B) can pass a state inspection. Since both of those are extremely easy to do here...then my idea of street legal may be far different than say someone in California or in the New England states.

I don't know of the legalities of race gas on the road here but I doubt there are any laws concerning it. 'Offroad' diesel is easy to check since it is typically dyed. Race gas though...unless a cop could tell the difference in smell (which wouldn't be proof enough) then there's nothing to check.

A friend of mind actually puts a half n half of aviation fuel and 93 octane in his truck when he goes to the track. That combined with a timing increase helps him pick up a little time.

RC Champion
    Oh I agree. I come from a family of American motorheads. Quite a few worked in the GM factories.

What year is the STI? Wagon or no?

EDIT: Sorry quoted wrong person...
    08' and newer only comes in a wagon

Quote Originally Posted by HobbyLover
    I like the Evo myself, but my uncle has a street legal 7.5 second car..does that count??
    I love the EVOs, just couldn't drive one everyday. They are cheaper and actually faster on a track than the STI. The subby is more roomy, doesn't kill your kidneys like an EVO (ride quality, and yea the subby is pretty rough), not to mention better reliablity and resale value.

Quite frankly I am looking at a more family friendly regular WRX or turbo'ed Legacy. Quite a bit cheaper overall (10k cheaper, 1/2 insurance prem), near the same power with better ride and mileage. The 90% of the better handling of the STI over the WRX is the tires. They are really sticky, really pricey, and wear really fast.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 03-10-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbyLover
    Do you have the Evo? X? 2008 or 2010? Thanks

Neither. I've added it to the thread asking what people drive for a full size car but...

http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....&postcount=258

It's a 1991 Galant VR4. I actually have two of them but that's my fast one. The other is my ski car that runs 13's.

And for those saying that turbo cars can't run in true street trim what they do at the track, mine makes the same power on the street that it does at the track, with the AC on. And it gets 28mpg while just cruising down the freeway at 75mph. My car is even on the stock bottom end with 138k miles on it. The only "internals" that have been changed are a metal headgasket (which is a factory Mitsu part) and ARP headstuds.

RC Qualifier
    1990 grand am ....Quad4 W41 .... 11sec car and gets 30+mpg ..... 1968 camaro RS fastest lap was a 10.428 in the 1/4 on 115octane..... And a 1994mercury cougar XR7 with a blown 5.0 running 10.8's all night long.

Also I wanna day that turbo cars are a dime a dozen....LAG and spool time is traction control.....IMHO any kid can launch a turbo car...

Put real boost on it ...twin screws... TQ off the line....makes boost from idle to redline....and it takes skill when u got power on tap to launch the car.
    Last edited by midniteTRX; 03-11-2010 at 12:39 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by redemption
    saw his car run myself at "the grove". Thats Union Grove WI USA.
    My second cousin riding a ZX11 got waxed by a '66 prostreet nova at the grove back in 96 or so. My first cousin had a 76 Camaro that never made a full run when I was living there because he kept snapping axles.

My 79 Bronco plow truck could make about 50 mph on the I94 hill west from the Milwaukee zoo with the blade on. 55 with it off.

Oh I agree. I come from a family of American motorheads. Quite a few worked in the GM factories.

08' and newer only comes in a wagon

I guess that means yours is 08 or newer then? You never said what year it was that's why I was asking. No need to respond like I have no idea what I'm talking about...

RC Champion
    I guess that means yours is 08 or newer then? You never said what year it was that's why I was asking. No need to respond like I have no idea what I'm talking about...

That would be my fault. Meant to say its an 08, they only come in wagon 08+ and I would prefer a sedan. It looks like anyone repsonding to this thread does know a bit about cars.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 03-11-2010 at 01:06 AM.
    Pay It Forward.

I actually have been seeing pics of sedans a lot in the last year or so but they were all either supposed concepts or just computer renderings. They really should bring it back.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by midniteTRX

Also I wanna day that turbo cars are a dime a dozen....LAG and spool time is traction control.....IMHO any kid can launch a turbo car...

My car makes 14psi stutterboxing at 5500rpm at the line. There is no lag under drag racing circumstances. As soon as I let out the clutch it goes from there to 30psi and spins all four if it doesn't hook. It's not as easy as you may think.

If I just floor it while driving down the freeway at low rpm, my setup makes 30psi by 3600rpm. Stock 7.8:1 compression with a GT30r BB turbo, bigger cams, etc. It's really not that laggy.

RC Champion
    The 90% of the better handling of the STI over the WRX is the tires. They are really sticky, really pricey, and wear really fast.
    Which tyres are you talking about?

I have an STi, which in Australia comes with Potenza RE070's

RC Competitor
    My dad has a 57 chevy pickup with a roller 502. It runs high 12's straight from the street (didn't lower the tire pressure) with compression on the high end for 93 octane.
    Since it's a daily driver, it has tall gearing, and a smaller 650 carb. It still only gets 7 mpg if you drive it nicely, which is pretty hard when you have that much power on tap.
    It's a blast to drive though.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by turbowop
    My car makes 14psi stutterboxing at 5500rpm at the line. There is no lag under drag racing circumstances. As soon as I let out the clutch it goes from there to 30psi and spins all four if it doesn't hook. It's not as easy as you may think.

If I just floor it while driving down the freeway at low rpm, my setup makes 30psi by 3600rpm. Stock 7.8:1 compression with a GT30r BB turbo, bigger cams, etc. It's really not that laggy.
    I think everyone has their preferences...... Aint no 1 way about it. ME: I prefer real American muscle.... Blown SB's and BB's. It takes skill to tune a twin carb on a roots style blower, not a belt driven snail lol... No computer to tune it for you. But I do have a custom made megasquirt-II in the grand am. So I understand both ways. Been part of racing since I was born. Great uncle is (was) Jim fueling.

RC Qualifier
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDZrr...FBBFF&index=11

10 sec chevy van does wheel stands to. drive it to the track then drive home has a a bed in the back. only power adders is a shot of NOS
    GOT ROOST?

RC Champion
    Which tyres are you talking about?

I have an STi, which in Australia comes with Potenza RE070's

I don't remember. What ever came on it. I know I priced them and they were well over $200 a tire. Michillen Piliots and BGF G-Force are a great alternative and do offer some all season ability at a sub $200 a tire price.
    Pay It Forward.

My camaro came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A's and the things are 255 a piece. I switched to running a 275/40/17 tires from the 254/50/16 stock rim size and the eagles for the bigger wheels were like 275 or 280 a piece. I went with Summitomo tires, 94 dollars a Piece and they actually get decent life.

RC Champion
    I don't remember. What ever came on it. I know I priced them and they were well over $200 a tire. Michillen Piliots and BGF G-Force are a great alternative and do offer some all season ability at a sub $200 a tire price.
    This is the RE070...stickiest, cornering device I've ever used!

RC Qualifier
    The BFG G-Force KDW's are awesome, And they last longer... I'm on my second set and ive had the car for going on the 3rd year...It has 68000 miles on it...These tires are awesome Im running 255-45 R18's

RC poster
    Buddy of mine has a '81 Camaro rockin over 700 horse

RC Qualifier
    700 horse! propbally if he's hookin up runnin mid to high 9's?
    Keep the shiny side up!

RC Qualifier
    this thread reminds me of a bunch of 5 yr old boys sayin... my dad could beat up your dad.

and no. my hemi short bed probley takes about 16 seconds.
    you must be fast, you were right behind me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast