RC Enthusiast

Hyperion EOS0606i AC\DC

I want a charger that can charge my stock NiMH batteries now and my SPC 8000mAh/20C/2S/7.4V Li-Po battery packs in the near future when the funds permit. Is this the charger to get? Is there another one that would be good to consider? Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    My friend has a duratrax onyx 230 charger. It will charge up to 8 cells on a Ni-MH and 1 to 3 cells on a lipo. I know he likes it and I'll probably get one sometime. Also they're about 80.00 bucks on Towerhobbies. Hope this helps
    Trust me...I'm a Doctor

The EOS0606i is a good charger.

In order to charge li-po with the onyx 230, you have to get a balancer.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Champion
    I posted this link in the Rustler forum, might be a good deal for anyone looking for a Hyperion charger?

Personally I ordered this TP610c, was $89.99 + ship it charges 10 amp, although it does require a power supply
    Last edited by quadiak; 03-12-2010 at 07:38 PM.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Racer
    Love my Hyperion EOS0606i No complaints.

Slower Traffic Keep Right.........

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by FPVRustlerVXL
    Love my Hyperion EOS0606i No complaints.

I didn't know there was a Traxxas version of that hyperion charger

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies! Sounds like this unit is a good choice.

RC Racer
    I love this charger !! works great for me Though I have the DUO II
    :Slash 4x4
    :Original Police Summit
    :E-Revo

RC poster

My Hyperion

I have a EOS0606i as well and I have no issues with it!

RC Qualifier
    I have a AC/DC Dynamite Passport Ultra and it has the balancer built right into it! This has been a real good charger for me! It also comes with the temperature sensor and bunch of other goodies. I use to have the Hyperion with my old summit, but I sold it with the summit. I think I like the Dynamite better because to charge most lipos with the hyperion, you have to most likely get a different balancing board for it because I had a venom 11.1v lipo and had to get a different balancing board! Any questions about the Dynamite charger, just let me know.

The only bad thing about this charger is that Upgrade-RC don't make graphic skins for it, lol!!
    Last edited by yamahaboy02; 03-14-2010 at 06:18 PM.
    HPI BAJA 5T->
    E-Flite 400 3D->
    MERV->
    VXL Blitz

RC Enthusiast
    Does anyone know a good site that has this for a good price? Most places I know of are backordered.

RC Champion
    Call them, the hyperion stuff isnt on the site but they carry them

http://rchobbies.org/contact.htm
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

RC Champion
    Just throwing another charger in the mix http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychb6chdup.html only $65 shipped and it does every type of batteries and balances lipos too. Only downside is it only charges at 5amps and limited discharge rate of 1 amp but I have one, my brother has one, and a friend also has one and they work great
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    I posted this link in the Rustler forum, might be a good deal for anyone looking for a Hyperion charger?

Personally I ordered this TP610c, was $89.99 + ship it charges 10 amp, although it does require a power supply
    did you try the link above, I see this one shows back order as well but is the only for a few days, and is the cheapest I have seen depending on shipping.

RC poster
    i dont meant to hijack the thread but im looking to get a good charger too and i have been looking at this http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VEN-0660 and was wondering if anyone has used it or has heard anything about it

Thanks !

RC Qualifier
    I love the DOU II I got from http://www.rclipos.com. Though it looks like they are out of stock too.
    JRx2, Mini-Z, MRC, Summit, Slash, Revo VXL, etc.

RC Racer
    Bougt the EOS606i AC/DC last night for $139 at the local hobby store.

I didnt like that it didnt come with a TRAXXAS battery connector. They didnt tell me that when I bought it. My lipos are coming in on thursday, and I am not exactly sure the method to plugging them in to charge correctly, but I am sure I will get it.

For now, I was able to just take the red and black wires that came with it and jam the un-soldered ends (is this safe lol?) into the stock battery connectors on my 3000m NiMH. The charger charged it up nice. 4a charged the battery in about 35 minutes. Not bad!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakushan
    Bougt the EOS606i AC/DC last night for $139 at the local hobby store.

I didnt like that it didnt come with a TRAXXAS battery connector. They didnt tell me that when I bought it. My lipos are coming in on thursday, and I am not exactly sure the method to plugging them in to charge correctly, but I am sure I will get it.

For now, I was able to just take the red and black wires that came with it and jam the un-soldered ends (is this safe lol?) into the stock battery connectors on my 3000m NiMH. The charger charged it up nice. 4a charged the battery in about 35 minutes. Not bad!
    Dont be mad at the LHS for not mentioning it, that is normal, I dont imagine any chargers other than traxxas brand ones come with TRX conenctors.

It is up to you to solder on the connector of your choice, better learn to solder if you are going to stay in this hobby.

And no dont just jam the ends into the charger or whatever you are talking about, do it right. If you dont want to solder you can buy something like this too.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVPF2&P=ML

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_garrison
    Dont be mad at the LHS for not mentioning it, that is normal, I dont imagine any chargers other than traxxas brand ones come with TRX conenctors.

It is up to you to solder on the connector of your choice, better learn to solder if you are going to stay in this hobby.

And no dont just jam the ends into the charger or whatever you are talking about, do it right. If you dont want to solder you can buy something like this too.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVPF2&P=ML
    Yep, thats the part I should have purchased.

As for soldering, dunno how I feel about that. I will do alot of things but melting metal may not be for me. Who knows. $11 is no big deal, just wish the LHS would have recommend that to me.

Here is a question. My SMC 2S 8000m lipos are coming thursday. Now, I know they are coming with the TRX connectors already. With my new EOS606i charger, will I connect using the above linked TRX/Bannana wire? I only ask because the charger also came with some complicated looking "balancer" plugs (2 of them) and I am not sure how these relate to charging. I am still learning every day.
    Summit MMM
    http://www.facebook.com/jguynes

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the input guys! I haven't been in this scene for awhile and its good to see the support is still great on these forums. I ordered one of these Hyperion chargers on eBay and used Bing for 8% cash back so I feel like I got a solid deal. Next up will be the SPC Lipo's. Can't wait!

RC Champion
    To charge in 60 minutes

8000 mAh 2S lipos need 8 amps (1C charge rate)
    8.4v x 8a = 67.2 watts

Two in a series charge = 4S 8000 mAh
    16.8v x 8a = 134.4 watts

Two in parallel = 2S 16000 mAh
    8.4v x 16a = 134.4 watts

EOS 606i = 6 amps and 50 watts max
    TP 610C = 10 amps and 80 watts max
    Accucel-8 = 8 amps and 150 watts max
    iCharger 106B = 10 amps and 250 watts max
    iCharger 206B = 20 amps and 300 watts max

Don't buy small unless you want to spend more time watching your lipos charge. Less than 1C will work ....but longer charge times.

Bob

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RByers8252
    Just throwing another charger in the mix http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychb6chdup.html only $65 shipped and it does every type of batteries and balances lipos too.
    I also have this Sky charger and it is fantastic. It is the exact same charger Trinity sells (with a different label) for $185.

RC Champion
    I have a major thing about buying cheap chargers. I have my fair share of ********* lipos and stuff, but when it comes to charging them I will stick with a Hyperion or another name brand with a track record.

There was a thread posted on here the other day who burnt down his house by charging with a knock off charger that malfunctioned.

Use whatever you want, but imo $60 extra for a known quantity is better than losing my house, dogs, and stuff.

RC Racer

Love mine!!! Very nice quality!!!
    Summit MMM

RC Qualifier
    Love my Hyperion Duo 3 I cant see myself ever buying a different one ever again.... well maybe if their is a new one....
    V Twin Emaxx
    inferno gt2 aka XO1 Destroyer

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_garrison
    I have a major thing about buying cheap chargers. I have my fair share of ********* lipos and stuff, but when it comes to charging them I will stick with a Hyperion or another name brand with a track record.

There was a thread posted on here the other day who burnt down his house by charging with a knock off charger that malfunctioned.

Use whatever you want, but imo $60 extra for a known quantity is better than losing my house, dogs, and stuff.
    http://www.rctech.net/forum/6624426-post9.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhtoeszz5y0

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughes500Bob
    To charge in 60 minutes

8000 mAh 2S lipos need 8 amps (1C charge rate)
    8.4v x 8a = 67.2 watts

Two in a series charge = 4S 8000 mAh
    16.8v x 8a = 134.4 watts

Two in parallel = 2S 16000 mAh
    8.4v x 16a = 134.4 watts

EOS 606i = 6 amps and 50 watts max
    TP 610C = 10 amps and 80 watts max
    Accucel-8 = 8 amps and 150 watts max
    iCharger 106B = 10 amps and 250 watts max
    iCharger 206B = 20 amps and 300 watts max

Don't buy small unless you want to spend more time watching your lipos charge. Less than 1C will work ....but longer charge times.

Bob
    I'm kind of confused by this. Are you saying this charger is not capable of charging the SPC 8000mAh/20C/2S/7.4V? According to what is stated above these batteries require 67.2 watts. Thanks.

RC Racer
    Summit MMM

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ill revo
    I'm kind of confused by this. Are you saying this charger is not capable of charging the SPC 8000mAh/20C/2S/7.4V? According to what is stated above these batteries require 67.2 watts. Thanks.
    The EOS060i charger will charge them .... but you only have 6 amps and 50 watts max from that charger.

You will have to charge at 2S @ 5.9 amps (8.4v x 5.9amps = 49.56 watts) and it will take about 82 minutes to charge one pack from 3.7v per cell back up to 4.20v per cell.

BIG PACKS TAKE BIG CHARGERS. The Accucel-8 could have done TWO 2S 8000 mAh packs in one hour with the right adapters!

I could charge two 2S 3000 mAh packs in parallel in one hour on an EOS060i charger....but that big 8000 mAh pack takes a bit more juice to charge!!

Bob
    Last edited by Hughes500Bob; 03-18-2010 at 10:32 PM.

RC Racer
    Great Link!!!

http://www.skyrc.us/indexhome.htm?#/.../Charger/b6ap/

RC Champion

The skeptic in me wonders why it says "Imax Lipro balance charger" in the lower right hand corner?

I have read on ebay some of the sellers claiming there are fake Imax chargers out there. "Hmmmmmmm"

RC Racer
    Because SKY RC is the manufacturer of the Imax brand of chargers. Look around the site some more. They have the documents you can download.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpa Tom
    Because SKY RC is the manufacturer of the Imax brand of chargers. Look around the site some more. They have the documents you can download.
    cool Grumpa, guess it's just a typ-ro, lol

The site it self even just seemed kinda weird, not very professional maybe. any way they certainly do have all the certifications in there. thanks for the link. I am hoping my LiPo's and TP610c show up today.

RC Racer
    FWIW, I have no vested interest in Hobbypartz or Sky RC. I just posted this along with R Byers to let people know there is an alternative out there that will charge the lipos that Summit users will want to charge, with a charger that is safe, reliable, accurate, and at an extremely reasonable price. As long as you don't care what 'brand' the label sticker is.

RC Champion
    Just in my Chinese cheap supplier defense :-p lol if you actually look around there are atleast a dozen name brands that have the exact same charger that the thunder ac6 is from hobbypartz but their name on it. In my last towerhobbies magazine I saw atleast 5 that looked identical but just had another name on it. Same features and things that came with but over $100 more!
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

RC Champion
    Sorry guys if my post was worded in way which made it easy to be taken out of context. I amongst most others(I believe), appreciate all input on these topics. I want to specify the only reason I chose The Tp610c, was because at only $89.00 for this charger which is capable of 10 amp output, and includes a balance board. I am reasonably certain, it is the best deal for my money. I don't care what name is on it. I really had no intention of flaming your imax link Grumpa, I only wished to state my concern that it could have been a knock off product(which would most likely be just fine as well), my opinion was formed at first glance of the Sky RC website, which IMO is a terribly cheap looking site(typos and all). My sincerest Apologies.

RC Racer
    Absolutely no apology to me necessary!

RC Champion
    The Thunder Power 610C has recently gotten a price decrease and IMO is an excellent choice. Thunder Power is due to release some new chargers very soon and this is the reason of the price decrease (to clean out some inventory of it's dealers).

There are NO known clones of the Thunder Power 610C out there that I know of. It is an excellent choice for a charger at 10 amps max and 80 watts max.

My personal TP 1010C has been my main charger for a very long time.

FWIW The Korean Bantam line of chargers was at the forefront of small charger design and has been severly cloned for many years. The Bantams are excellent chargers but generally priced much higher than the clones.

Bob

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MfizzleS62
    Love my Hyperion Duo 3 I cant see myself ever buying a different one ever again.... well maybe if their is a new one....
    Do you have to run a power switching supply with this charger?

Doug

RC Enthusiast
    Yep, thats the part I should have purchased.

As for soldering, dunno how I feel about that. I will do alot of things but melting metal may not be for me. Who knows. $11 is no big deal, just wish the LHS would have recommend that to me.

Here is a question. My SMC 2S 8000m lipos are coming thursday. Now, I know they are coming with the TRX connectors already. With my new EOS606i charger, will I connect using the above linked TRX/Bannana wire? I only ask because the charger also came with some complicated looking "balancer" plugs (2 of them) and I am not sure how these relate to charging. I am still learning every day.
    I couldn't figure out if anyone answered you. The Balance plug provides a direct connection to each Cell vs. the main power leads which connect to the first and last cell in the pack where the cells are connected in series (one cells positive to the next cells negative.... until you are at the last cell). If you have a balancing charger it will use the balance tap connection to make sure each cell has matching voltage by charging or discharging on the tap until they match. With that said you can also charge through the balance tap only if you have a balancing charger but the caveat is the small guage wire means you're limited to under 2 amps or so safely.

This site shows wiring diagrams for the batteries and balance taps so you can have a visual to aid your understanding.
    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_lipo.html