RC Qualifier

Lowered my pickup.

Well, my other pickup. The one that sits at home and costs me money.

Figured if it had a sort-of go fast motor it needs a sort-of go fast look

Did it over the weekend.

Drop leafs and shackles in the rear, drop coil springs up front, 4 sport shocks, 4 new tires, and some Energy sway bar bushings and end links up front. It went very well considering I have never taken the suspension apart on a vehicle. Some things you just have to dive right in and give it a shot.

Lemme tell ya, the difference is amazing...both in looks and driving. It rides much firmer now...but in a good way. Handles excellent for a pickup, too. I'd say just as well as many cars on the road.

And this is what it looked like before:

RC Champion
    Those always looked good with a slight drop, especially if the front sits a bit lower than the rear.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

Nice. Looks like you have a similar billet grill to mine. Well similar truck as well. I have train horns on this bad boy, 152dbs@120psi.

RC Champion
    Although I'm mainly a "cars should be lowered, trucks should be lifted" type of guy, I must say that's a very nice truck! Looks great. I like those older, more square looking truck bodies.

I've actually been considering getting some Chevy drop shackles for my Ranger 4x4. On a Ranger, those shackles will actually lift the truck a couple inches.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Enthusiast
    Here is my 05 Nissan Titan with McGaughy 2-3 drop kit, also Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow cats, Flowmaster Y-pipe and Magnaflow single in-dual out muffler. Uprev tuned.

Video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsJRyOA21Ns
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers

RC Champion
    RicRat, where were those pics taken? I want to park next to a SR-71!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    RicRat, where were those pics taken? I want to park next to a SR-71!
    Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, TX.

One of my Titan buddies is stationed there, so we got together and did some photo shoots.

RC Qualifier
    we just learned about the black bird today ^^^
    merv and erbe

RC Qualifier
    Very clean truck SimpleGreen. I like the drop as well!
    Nitro Sport Pro. 15
    VXL BlackSlash w/ DX2.0

RC Champion
    Did that blackbird have a Transformers logo on it?

Quote Originally Posted by RicRat
    Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, TX.

One of my Titan buddies is stationed there, so we got together and did some photo shoots.

I see those before. I think that the graduation field for basic trainees.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Qualifier
    Alright all you truck guys i have a sweet ride myself i am a truck guy at heart i own two pick-ups 2004 F250 crew cab long bed and a Ranger XLT quad cab next year i WILL own a 2005 dodge ram SRT/10 505hp 515 foot pounds of torque some where in those figures but heres my baby

summit, vxl merv,65mph club
    Oh No I Use Acronyms

RC Enthusiast
    Like those wheels on the Beamer! Nice!

RC Champion
    Jesus a long bed crew cab F250, thats one long truck. I have an 09 F150, soon to be lowered 3/5.

One of the mustang just for good measure (its a big pic so click the thumb)

Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

Simple Green, that trucks in beautiful shape. Give us some specs if you wouldn't mind. How many miles on it?
    Jason, love the blue, looks awesome. Truck should look real nice when you lose the wheel gap.
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Champion
    I had a 2wd pickup before, and I vowed never to drive a 2wd in Michigan winters again. If I ever had a 2wd again (highly unlikely), it would be lifted and locked.

RC poster
    Here are a cpl of mine, I have had a few more but these were my favorite I built.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RicRat
    Like those wheels on the Beamer! Nice!
    Thank you they are Beyern made specifically for BMW

And the comment about the long truck it is a pain to park it's so long it takes up a standard parking spot and a 1/4 of the one behind it then its so wide i have to park it out in the back 40 because there is always someone that likes to park right next to my driver door i usually leave them a few dings for my trouble of trying to get in my door

summit, vxl merv,65mph club
    Oh No I Use Acronyms

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by redemption
    Great looking trucks guys although I don't get the reasoning behind "lowering" a P/U truck. It kinda defeats the whole purpose of buying one in the first place IMO.
    Why is that? I can still fill the bed full of furniture, lumber, mulch, or whatever else. I can still tow my jetskis or my dads boat with no problems.

I guess if the point of a pickup is going offroad then you may be right, but my guess is by far the most offroading the majority of pickups see is a gravel road.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    I had a 2wd pickup before, and I vowed never to drive a 2wd in Michigan winters again. If I ever had a 2wd again (highly unlikely), it would be lifted and locked.
    Proper tires, proper driving, no worries. I drove my 2wd through 8 inch fresh snowfall with no problems at all this winter. Blizzak tires and driving smart. The only time I can ever see me wanting 4wd is if I am at a boat launch that is really slimy or sandy.
    Last edited by Jason_garrison; 03-23-2010 at 02:42 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Well I don't have a truck, yet... . My brother does though. He's got a '06 Cummins, stacked chips, cold air intake, 5" exhaust, ats intake manifold fass150 fuel pump, arson III kit, bigger turbo, injectors to handle all this + more with the rails capped, quadzilla boost fooler and a built trans. Eyelids on the headlights, smoked tail lights, gauges, and 10k HID's. Also a stage 3 methanol kit waiting to go onto her. It's supposed to run around high 12's but definitely in the 13's.

One HID bulb did blow out when he was doing this crazy stuff .

Don't have a ton of pics of it but if you want more just ask me.
    Last edited by Grand National; 03-23-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_garrison
    Proper tires, proper driving, no worries. I drove my 2wd through 8 inch fresh snowfall with no problems at all this winter. Blizzak tires and driving smart. The only time I can ever see me wanting 4wd is if I am at a boat launch that is really slimy or sandy.
    The truck I was referring to was a 1998 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner. The tires were pretty big for a stock truck - 32x11.5 IIRC, some variety of Wrangler A/T. The big, wide meat on a truck that weighed nothing - and also an open rear diff - had me stuck quite a bit. I did fare better with 300 lbs. of sand in the box, though.

I agree 4wd isn't absolutely mandatory, but sure is nice to have. And now that I have the 4x4 I've always wanted, I've been bitten by the off road bug - bad.

RC Qualifier
    It's funny how you're droping you're pick-up and here in Quebec we're jacking them and throwing some mud terrain or crawler tire on them I guess it must be part of the bad road we have here. You need a 4inch jacked truck with 35 inch tire to be fine running on the street

I'm exaggerating a little but seriously the road here are ugly it's had to believe when I go outside how the road are nice.
    No pain! No Gain!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by redemption
    I don't know, maybe because it was made for being a,.,., You know, a full frame off road (whats the word im looking for)..... Truck?

Trucks are designed to tow and haul. A 2wd can do that with no issues.

I dont see too many F350 dually diesels doing a lot of offroading but I guess according to you its not a truck because of that. But really its a dumb point, the vast majority of 4wd owners dont go leave the pavement or jobsite.

Besides Jeeps are designed to go offroad, may as well use something better suited to the application.
    Last edited by Jason_garrison; 03-24-2010 at 07:37 AM.

I'm the kind of guy that would rather not lower or lift a truck. My buddies all had lifted trucks and couldn't pull a trailer or haul a 4 wheeler because their truck sat way too high. For them to pull a trailer they would have to use a huge drop tongue (which is why they rarely ever pulled anything). They were all like man you should lift your truck. I was like why and get worse gas mileage plus kill the fact that I can't pull anything without a ridiculous drop tongue, plus not being able to easily put my 4wheeler in the back. Lifting is ok for more ground clearance for rock crawling and offroading which none of my buddies did with their trucks it was all purely for looks.

Now lowering a truck a small amount like SimpleGreen did is not bad. He didn't lower it past the point of not being able to haul stuff, it's a subtle drop that improved his ride and performance while still allowing the trucks hauling quality. To me lowering a truck to the point of cutting inner fender wells out for clearance is just plain ridiculous and looks ridiculous as well.

RC Qualifier
    Lotta replies! lol.

I don't daily drive this truck so its height wasn't an issue for me. I just play with this one in my spare time. My day to day truck is a stock '05 Silverado.

I'm personally a fan of bagged trucks all the way to the ones you need step ladders to get into. They all have their purposes

RC Qualifier
    Hey, my dads truck is an 04 silverado. Oh yeah and also, my dad used to have a truck like the one you lowered, but he put in a corvette engine
    SLASH IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Frames not touching the ground? Why not?
    HK Brushless Summit!!!

RC Champion
    Well since everyone else is showing off their trucks....

The same Chevy shackles that SimpleGreen used to lower his truck would lift mine 2-3". It's sits about level right now with a 1.75" torsion-bar crank up front.

RC Qualifier
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but i have a 2000 jimmy 4x4 slt that i would love to lift about 3 or 4 inches... (leaf spring rears, spring fronts)

Any advice or tips?

( i figured i might as well ask since all the guys with the know-how are all in this thread)

SimpleGreen thats a nice clean ride ya got there. I love step side pick ups. Looks good, but ya gotta find something to fill in the holes in the bumper, like fog lights, or billet to match the grille.
    Mr nitro? Not since going brushless!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nitro
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but i have a 2000 jimmy 4x4 slt that i would love to lift about 3 or 4 inches... (leaf spring rears, spring fronts)

Any advice or tips?

( i figured i might as well ask since all the guys with the know-how are all in this thread)
    I don't know anything about Jimmy's but you probably have a few options. The cheapest method would be a body lift, if there's a kit available for your truck. I'm not a big fan of body lifts - but I still might get one for my Ranger since lift options for a torsion-bar sprung truck are either hard to come by or super expensive. With a body lift, the drawbacks are mainly cosmetic. Your exhaust and receiver hitch (if you have one) will look like they're hanging down low. In reality, they're at the exact same height, but lifting the body up makes it look lower. Hitches and exhaust can be modified to compensate for a body lift though. You'd also probably want "gap guards" for the rear wheel wells since a body lift will expose a gap between the body and the frame rails.

The nice thing about body lifts is that your suspension stays exactly the same. Same ride quality, and no need for longer shocks.

Aside from a body lift, you could get a add-a-leaf for your leaf pack. That's inexpensive and relatively easy to do, but your ride quality may suffer. I know for Rangers there are single leaves you can add for 3" of lift. I don't know what kind of options you have as far as shackles, but lift shackles would maintain stock ride quality, and improve off road articulation.

As for the front, I don't know much about coils (other than I wish my truck had them) since my truck has t-bars. I don't know if you can simply replace the coils with longer ones, but I know there are coil spacers available that are good for at least 2" of lift, maybe more.

That's about all I can contribute.
    Last edited by Jay 313; 03-26-2010 at 12:43 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nitro
    SimpleGreen thats a nice clean ride ya got there. I love step side pick ups. Looks good, but ya gotta find something to fill in the holes in the bumper, like fog lights, or billet to match the grille.
    Thanks!

I'm going to leave the holes empty.

The bumper came factory on two vehicles.

Limited Tahoes (with fog lights in the holes)

And diesel trucks (for extra cooling)

Eventually I may route my intake down behind the holes. But otherwise I'm going to leave it as is. I think a billet grille there would look too blingy and my stock headlights do plenty fine at night.