RC Enthusiast

Traction Compound

I am new the SCT racing but not entirely new to RC. We used to apply Dr. Gripper, Buggy Grip, or Death Grip to our buggy tires before every heat and the main. The stuff would last for around 5-minutes and would improve the grip by softening the rubber. This brings to mind some questions about SCT truck tires:

1. What traction compounds (if any) are you guys using on your SCT's tires?

2. For those that do use these, do you treat the front and rear equally?

3. For those who do not use these, do you clean (treat?) with simple green or some other cleaner?

4. Do most modern tracks allow tire treatment (my local track does not) in your area?

5. What results did you get? ...better traction or a waste of money?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Niftech traction compund works VERY well on the stock Slash tires. After cleaning the tires I apply Niftech as needed about 5 to 10 mintues before my race. The difference in traction is like night and day.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    Niftech traction compund works VERY well on the stock Slash tires. After cleaning the tires I apply Niftech as needed about 5 to 10 mintues before my race. The difference in traction is like night and day.
    What is Niftech's active ingredient? Is it turpentine, kerosene, mint oil, or something else?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You would have to ask Niftech that question.

RC Qualifier
    I've tried the simple green and it seems to work. The tires always feel super soft and kinda gooey afterwards, and they look really clean too. lol

I've been looking into the Paragon FXII Traction Compound that Tower sells. I hear that it's some pretty stinky stuff though, and that's part of the reason why tracks don't allow it.
    Slash MMP 4600kv
    Slash VXL

RC Qualifier
    all tracks should not allow any kind of traction compound stuff
    slash 4x4 VXL, Novak HV4.5, MMP

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MVB
    all tracks should not allow any kind of traction compound stuff
    Thanks for sharing!

What is your reasoning?

-Smell? / Harmful to environment?

If you are going to state an opinion against a thread please back it up with some reasoning.

Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krispy
    Thanks for sharing!

What is your reasoning?

-Smell? / Harmful to environment?

If you are going to state an opinion against a thread please back it up with some reasoning.

I agree!

RC Qualifier
    harmfull to environment, other racers cars.
    i do not wish to race at a track that could be contaminated with that kind of fluids

RC Qualifier
    harmfull to environment, other racers cars.
    i do not wish to race at a track that could be contaminated with that kind of fluids
    If it is harmful to other race cars wouldn't it be really bad for the cars using it?

What harm does it cause the other cars? (other than making them slower-by comparison)

Simple green seems to think that they are not harmful to the environment

Can you explain a bit more?

I am sure the purpose-built traction compounds contain nasty stuff, but I don't think they post ingredients.

I too don't wanna use this stuff if it indeed really is bad.
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    It is hard to explane for me in a foreign language. but ill give it a try.

my opinion is that it is a bad thing if the track surface gets contaminated with stains, fluids and so on.

what would you think if you are racing in a 1:1 car and the track your on is contaminated with oil, gasoline or other stuff ?

and i dont think it is fair to other drivers who are not using this traction stuff

RC Champion
    I'm going to assume you're talking about a carpet track here or something as any kind of build up is impossible on dirt. I would imagine that over years and year of continued use there might be some very small trace of the traction compounds in the dirt but not enough to harm anyone or anything. Have you ever seen the mess that come out of a nitro car?

As for it being fair to other drivers. my opinion is this. If traction aids are allowed and the driver chooses not to use them then it is his choice but his decision should not effect what others are allowed to use.

With all that being said i've found that traction compounds that simply sit on the tire do almost nothing after the first lap. Most of that stuff is worn off after the first few corners. The only thing I have found that actually works are products that make the tire softer like the simple green trick. Simple green is also environmentally friendly
    Last edited by john01374; 03-23-2010 at 11:36 AM.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Qualifier
    It is hard to explane for me in a foreign language. but ill give it a try.
    Thank you, I too know how hard 2nd languages can be (Although English is my first)

what would you think if you are racing in a 1:1 car and the track your on is contaminated with oil, gasoline or other stuff ?
    I have some 1:1 racing experence and they always made the cars run purely water in the radiators to keep from spreading harmful fluids on the track. They weren't primarily concerned with environmental issues, more traction issues for other drivers.

and i dont think it is fair to other drivers who are not using this traction stuff
    As long as the rules are posted and understood then it is up to each individual driver to choose how he wants to build his truck to suit/exploit the particular set of rules.

Thanks again for giving us reasoning on your opinion!
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    I just looked up the MSDS on simple green all purpose cleaner it seems harmless and its non-toxic to the environment and biodegradable it almost seems like you can bathe in it

How do you guys apply it to your tires just spray it on or soak it in a small amount and have you experienced any effects on the CA does it make the tires come unglued?
    summit, vxl merv,65mph club
    Oh No I Use Acronyms

RC Champion
    Just spray it on the tires and let it dry. I normally do two coats. No it won't unglue the tire. I also dont recommend spraying it on the wheel as it will eventually eat the paint off. I normally have the wheels off the truck laying on the table and i'll just spray around the thread.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC SLASH
    the best traction compound i have found so far is zippo lighter fluid! it doesnt make the tires glaze over either. plus its only a few bucks at wal-mart for a big can.
    That is a new one on me! What else have you tried? What do you mean by "glaze over" also.

Thanks
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    the best traction compound i have found so far is zippo lighter fluid! it doesnt make the tires glaze over either. plus its only a few bucks at wal-mart for a big can.
    20 years ago when I raced karts we used to put the tires in a garbage bag with a shop rag soaked in gasoline for a day or so. It helped to soften up the spec tires we had to run. I don't know if it would work on the rubber used on RC tires. Kinda dangerous too if you're not careful.

Joe
    Can't spell? Try this http://www.iespell.com/

RC Qualifier
    after we ran a few races the tires would get a hard glaze on them and make it impossible to drive. since ive run zippo fluid i have had no problems. and now everyone i know of is no longer buy expensive traction compound, they're all using zippo fluid.
    Was that hard glaze something due to another traction compound or just a byproduct of normal use?
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    How do you apply the zippo lighter fluid?

RC Qualifier
    And do you put a match to it after you apply?
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Qualifier
    lol @ the match!! I use paragon ground effects and it seems fine to me. I'll try the zippo fluid since i carry a zippo with me everywhere i go. a little cheaper than this stuff. some guys around here soak their tires down with diesel fuel and put them inside a big freezer bag in the sun for a hour or so. seems to hook up very nicely. I just add my Paragon on mine about 30 min. before a race and they seem to do good the whole day. I'm not too sure what a enviromentalist would say....ROFL. I don't care about a little traction compound on the dirt track.
    Youtube Search- Tommy Wooten RC

RC Champion
    This traction compound stuff is getting interesting. Since some 'traction compound' namely zippo fluids contains some kind of kerosene (maybe also petroleum distilates), wouldn't it harm the tires' rubber compound such as making them prone to cracking in the long runs? And..shoud we accidently get the fluids inside the foams and beads, would it destroy the foam and weakens the CA glue joins?

I'm draining my zippo lighter fluids on piece of rag as of right now to try on the tires.

Ow, since there's also a debate here whether a traction compound should be banned as it could stain the track..here's my thought. Wouldn't the stained dirt also contains traction compound, and spreads to other cars not using them? This would be slightly advantageous for those not running it, and even out the competition right?? just joking.
    Last edited by Out of Sight; 03-25-2010 at 05:14 AM.
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Out of Sight

Ow, since there's also a debate here whether a traction compound should be banned as it could stain the track..here's my thought. Wouldn't the stained dirt also contains traction compound, and spreads to other cars not using them? This would be slightly advantageous for those not running it, and even out the competition right?? just joking.

An interesting aside, In 1:1 racing (road course) most chief engineers will look at what other series are running at the track that weekend and choose a baseline setup based on that. Different rubber compounds work differently when laid on top of others.

Kind of crazy!
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Racer
    I have a dumb question considering this compound thing is new for me. If people are taking so much pain to soften their tires, aren't there soft tires in the market that would serve the purpose? Just seems like a lot of hassle to go through to get some traction for the car/truck....

RC Qualifier
    Well, no question is dumb. But some (most?) of us race in a spec class where tires other than box stock aren't allowed. So using some type of traction compound is one way to gain an edge over the other competitors. (Unless they are reading these fourms )
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s