RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

VXL ESC SMOKING... literally

JUST got a new VXL 3S waterproof ESC from e-bay. It was a brand new unit pulled from a slash 4X4. It had never been run.
    I already had my new VXL motor installed in my rustler just waiting for some motivation so I installed the VXL ESC, pluged in my freshly charged 2S lipo and went out on the driveway for her maiden run. Turned the truck on, drove it 25 feet and its stopped. So I walk over, open the lid and smoke comes out. The ESC is literally sitting there smoking. Not a good sign.
    So, I unplugged the battery, took it in the house, let it cool off and just for kicks, tried plugging the battery in again. As soon as I turned it on, smoke again. Called traxxas right away, they said to send it back (with a proof of purchase, a paypal receipt was good enough) and asked I send the motor along with it.
    Now, im happy they will replace it. Thats a good thing. And traxxas was always good about this type of stuff. But heres the problem. It cost me $15 to ship it back to them. They wont send me one first with a return postage paid box so im without a power system for a few weeks now. My $70 good deal on e-bay has now turned in to an $85 dollar purchase in less than 10 minutes.
    Im not a complainer. Im very understanding about customer service. But I just think its wrong that I had to pay to return the ESC and a replacement isnt sent before hand. I had a cell phone die on me... a blackberry worth 4 times what the VXL system is worth. The company I bought it from took my credit card for security, sent me a new on in a postage paid return box and I was up and running in 2 days. In a hobby perpetuated by enthusiasm I would think keeping customers enthused and happy would be priority #1.
    Again, I still love traxxas products and if this ESC was out of warranty (as my last one was) I would understand. But for a product still under warranty, there should be a better way.
    Good thing I still have my VXL pede or id be flat out of luck.

RC Qualifier
    i hear that... me personally I try to make my LHS match my online prices that way if their is a problem I just throw it in their lap... they always take care of me so if its a few bucks more I dont mind...
    V Twin Emaxx
    inferno gt2 aka XO1 Destroyer

RC Racer
    You Should Be Very Happy That Traxxas Is Doing Anything Since You Got It From Ebay,they Could Have Told You To Go Back To Ebay ,go After The Seller For The $15 ..............
    DAVE TRAXEL

Yeah, I don't think this is Traxxas' problem. This ESC really has no warranty, since it was not bought retail. IMO your lucky TRX has such great service that they cover it at all.

But also you could have sent it Priority in the flat rate package for 4.95.
    Hope they get you fixed up quick
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    Have you contacted the seller to see if there’s any resolution there? Ebay is such a fickle way of dealing – I’ve been pretty lucky so far, but there are a few bad eggs out there.
    Censorship is wrong

Traxxas told me that buying from e-bay is considered a retail sale. I told the guy on the phone the truth straight from the get go and he had NO problem with it. The warranty starts from the moment of purchase. In this case it was from e-bay. I dont understand why everyone has such a hate on for e-bay. Its a perfectly legitimate place to buy products. Especially when, like me, your from rural canada which is severely under serviced by hobby stores.
    The seller from e-bay is a typical chop shop with spotless feedback in the hundreds of thousands. They sent me a brand new VXL ESC. They did nothing wrong. They sold a new product as new. Good for them and THANKS to them for helping me enjoy the hobby I love in a way I can afford. THEY should not have to pay for a Traxxas quality control issue. Im not upset at traxxas either. I love their products. BUT, i feel they should be willing to cover ALL costs for warranty claims. Its what many companies do and they do it to make sure the customer is completely satisfied.
    BTW, to all those E-bay haters, I had a problem with a traxxas servo I bought from my LHS... know what they told me... call traxxas directly, hobby stores in canada dont deal with warranty, you have to go to traxxas directly. I sure dont see how that situation is any different than the one im in now... other than I would have paid almost twice as much for the product im not currently able to use.
    Unfortunately, we dont have flat rate boxes in canada. We only have expedited shipping to get a tracking number. The CHEAPEST possible way for me to ship with tracking was $15. I wish canada post would do something like that. It would save me SO much time and money when shipping stuff. Maybe one day.

Sorry, I missed the Canada part.
    No problem buying from ebay, and know that TRX will cover a retail boxed purchase from there. However when you buy a part from a Disassembled vehicle, imo it is a used part.
    But it's great that they are covering it.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

From what I understand traxxas considers any part within the 30 day warranty period to be eligible for warranty. It doesnt state anywhere in their warranty description that it must be the first purchaser or first owner. Just that you have proof of when the product was purchased (sales receipt) and that it shows the item being purchased within 30 days. In this case, the ESC was purchased from an online store less than 30 days ago and I have a receipt that proves it. Where that store got it, or how long they had it is not my business.

RC Qualifier
    I concur with pavment the ESC in debate was poorly manufactured and was destined to fail. if the original buyer of the vehicle that the ESC was installed in would have run it they would be in the same situation now just because the brand new vehicle was parted out (it seems to be a trend lately for people to do) does not make the item used in any way shape or form if i were to take a brand new 1:1 from the factory and immediately take the engine out with 0 miles just because it was installed does not make it "used" it is still considered new.

Just my .02
    summit, vxl merv,65mph club
    Oh No I Use Acronyms