e-revo vs summit difference questions

Whats up guys, I want to take my e-revo and have the same suspension setup (travel) as the Summits. What do I need besides the tires and long arm rocker arms?

RC Champion
    Depends on how far you want to go with it.....locking diffs, 2 speed tranny, body, lights....they're basically the same other than those few things.
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

Quote Originally Posted by zrau17
    Depends on how far you want to go with it.....locking diffs, 2 speed tranny, body, lights....they're basically the same other than those few things.

I don't care so much for the locking diff,2 speed trannys stuff. Just the suspension. Is the drive shafts difference also?

RC Qualifier
    The center driveshafts are the same, but the wheel (axle) shafts are stronger on the Summit. You'll want those if you're planning on running the bigger tires.

LT rockers & pushrods (no spacers on the pushrods), and the extended wheelbase rear A-arms are needed. The Summit also comes with thicker shock oil (#50wt IIRC) and longer springs (you may be able to crank down the preload adjusters on yours a little for the same effect though).

Quote Originally Posted by sfr4x4
    The center driveshafts are the same, but the wheel (axle) shafts are stronger on the Summit. You'll want those if you're planning on running the bigger tires.

LT rockers & pushrods (no spacers on the pushrods), and the extended wheelbase rear A-arms are needed. The Summit also comes with thicker shock oil (#50wt IIRC) and longer springs (you may be able to crank down the preload adjusters on yours a little for the same effect though).

Very cool, I don't want to spend a ton to get my e revo to have a suspensive like the summit and tires. Reason being I got to watch my brother in law's summit this weekend and I was impressed the way I drove for my type of terrain. I don't want to go fast anymore just want to have fun again climbing over big stuff. Humm, I'd amost be better selling mine and getting the summit.
    Last edited by brad65ford; 03-29-2010 at 08:51 PM.

RC Competitor
    You wanna have looking diffs as they what makes the summit such a beast off road
    That's right, it was your soul I just ate,..

RC Champion
    Take a look at my thread. i basically made my erevo into a summit.

You don't have to do driveshafts or lockers, just put the LT rockers and the longer springs to jack it up. but you'll find without the lockers it just can't go the same places the summit can

Quote Originally Posted by tonkajeep34
    Take a look at my thread. i basically made my erevo into a summit.

You don't have to do driveshafts or lockers, just put the LT rockers and the longer springs to jack it up. but you'll find without the lockers it just can't go the same places the summit can

Thanks buddy. That's basicly what I want to do with mine. I have the long arms just conserned about springs and shock oil. Looks like the summit rims are tires are the best bet. I'm running a single vxl which it's pretty fast compaired to the stock setup, but I'm most likely gonna switch back to my sears drill single brushed motor and stock esc. I'm running 2 2s 5000mah 20c also. I'm almost ready to sell for the revo for the summit since it's gonna cost some bucks to have the same rims and tires, lights/bumpers setup, body and mounts. I'm thinking just under 200.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-19-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Ok she's jacked up! It's nice that Traxxas includes heavy springs/long arm rockers/shock valve disc with the E-Revo. I forgot how easy you can wheely when she's up this high. Guess I'm gonna switch back to the stock esc and one large motor again. My brushless setup can't go slow just cogs and isn't controlable. More work, wouldn't be worth pictures since it's just a e-revo right now.

Aside from the summits tires is there some else that makes the summit look wider?

RC Champion
    The summit wheels have a lot of offset to them compared to the stock revo wheels.

Ok, I know this is a sad excuse for rock climbing but I wanted to give it a try. You can see how much lockers and good tires would have made a big difference. Basicly its just an E-revo with the extra parts included from Traxxas that came with the E-Revo ie: Long Arms, Springs, shock discs. I changed out the VXL I was running to a Sears 19.2v Large single motor and the stock ESC with 20/68 gearing. The esc gets to 150 degrees slow crawling I know I need lower gear (Summit LOL). I can get about 20 mins of crawling around with 5000mah 2 2s's. I know I would get more time and control and less heat with a lower gearing setup.. I'm at the point where I don't know if I want to sell and get a Summit.

Any way here something I put together.

RC Champion
    Hmm... it says private video...

Fixed sorry default is private.

RC Champion
    it's a start! You need some bigger grippier(sp?) tires.

I forget how much mine is not stock anymore.... Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Ya want me to be serious or tell it like it is? Your rig got stuck on the first rock it encountered - twice. I did better hill climbing with my revo 3.3. My grandma could climb hills better in her church clothes. I would say that if you want a summit then buy a summit, but thats the stupid costly answer.

So if you really wanna rock crawl and you dont wanna spend the dough on the summits diffs & locking system then do 4 things

1) jack up you rear suspension - that should be obvious - what most people dont know it that the erevo shocks and the summit shocks are not exactly the same -(ignore the numbers on the Traxxas official picture) the summit shocks have more "ridges" which enables you to dial the suspension up higher then the erevo shocks

2) Get some larger off road tires - If you dont wanna go crazy with $ then get a used set of emaxx tires/ new revo 3.3 tires / or (hint hint) summit tires. Emaxx chevron tries are actually great at climbing

now for the more technical upgrades (read - more work)

3) buy the 2 speed low gear insert. low gear will give you a slow but a more powerful rig and when you wanna basha just shift into high gear. You can buy the gear kit and servo for around $20 dollars, or buy the summit 2 speed tranny and servo complete for around $50 - $60

4) The last And probably the most important!!! buy some Ofna Racing Diff-Lock silicone oil (120,000 wtg). In your video your little tires were getting contact due to the great suspension but your diffs were transfering all the power to the wheel which had the least traction. (over and over and over again). So if ya dont wanna buy the summits locking diffs then open up your diffs and add this thick oil and it will help immensely. The erevo comes stock with 30-40,000 wtg oil so you can imagine the extra grip your ride will achieve. ($7 plus an hour of your time) there is a write up here which explains how to change the diff oil.

Now if you have a soft exterior I can edit this post and candy coat it, but if you want an honest opinion then do 1,2,4, then do number 3 if ya so inclined.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

hehe, I learned the most from your post, thank god you set me straight. Just kidding man its all good. Picking on the video... well simple put, its there to show how much the E-revo isn't a rock crawling and where I started at. I do like alot of your thoughts though, since its basicly what I said and others. Pretty obvious again as its been stated already. I do like your idea on the E-Maxx tires since I have a set. Maybe cut them to add some extra tread hummm... I did planed on changing the diff oil since I have some extra oil from my Hyper St, but if I'm going in there I most likely will just do lockers. Props for tonkajeep34 for taking the time and money to convert his over.
    Last edited by brad65ford; 04-05-2010 at 09:06 PM.

while im still in the yakkin mood, if later you dont buy the summit the get a more powerful motor, dewalt , summit 775, mabuchi 700. and gear it low. A larger motor will make just as much if not more torque than the dual 550 set up the erevo has, and use up less battery to boot. the dual 500 are build for high end speed (racing) not low end torque (hill climbing). The dewalt 12volt is a perfect motor - realiable top speed around 30mph, with INCREDIBLE amount of low end torque. Just gear it correctly
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

noir55, don't think you saw I changed the stock motors to a large sears drill motor (similar to the Dewalt) I do need the low trans gear though, I would just like low gear of the summit.

good choice - i missed that
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Ok my brother in law came over and gave me some Moabs which helped alot. But looking into his shocks we noticed that the springs are no where near the same as the extra one that traxxas supplied extra. These extras springs that came with the e revo are to to stiff for crawling. So looks like I might get the spring. Boy the summit and revo are the same but totally different.

Man your really holding on to this post arent ya? The summit shocks are a lil different then the erevo - it has more grooves/ribs which allows you to dial the shock collars and springs up a tad higher then the erevo shocks. that along with the longer springs gives the summit a few cm more of ride height over the erevo. just fyi. Jump on over to the summit forum for more project info (rear steer, gearing, larger tire reviews) - besides our boards needs more peeps and input/ideas.

wheels tires
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=519348

moabs
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=519728

rok loc crazy big tires
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=519159
    Last edited by noir 522; 05-06-2010 at 08:23 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Good links. Yeah it's a slow start. I just did a power up from traxxas to the 2.4g 4ch. Slowly I'll get there. I want the 2 speed trans next.
    Last edited by brad65ford; 05-07-2010 at 10:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    seems like the summit has alot to go wrong..it has like 90 different servo's and wouldn't the locking diffs be a bit weak?
    E REVO 3.3 t maxx wheels/tires 80a 2330kiv ezrun

Quote Originally Posted by ohiowoodsrider
    seems like the summit has alot to go wrong..it has like 90 different servo's and wouldn't the locking diffs be a bit weak?
    That's what o thought till I watched my brother in laws bashing his for months now. Traxxas did a good job with the summit. But like anything rc things dod
    brake.

The first batch of summits had a bad molded gear in the diff locking mechanism , but it has been repair (over 1 year now) and the current batches are holding up well. I have a number of times forgotten to unlock my diffs, then tore through a high speed run with my dewalt set up and my diffs are still doing fine. On Brushless high speed runs They are fine as long as they are unlocked, but that just like my 1:1 jeep - the owners manual warn you about locking the diffs and 4 wheel drive above 45 mph.

And on OHIOWOODS its not 90 servos - its only three extras, and if you set the trim properly (lil white trim knobs on tq4 tx) they hold up ok. (steel servo gears of course would be better of course.

BRRADFORD the summit transmission used go for about $45 (then you still need the servo and switch mechanism). A cheaper option is to buy the erevo 2speed kit (its the low gear/servo/ and linkage) but youll have to install it yourself in your stock tranny. But nothing beats those locking diffs. Get my summit to Mt Everest and i'll climb that sucker to thetop.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Are the bulk heads the same?

RC Qualifier
    The bulkheads are shaped a bit different to accommodate the locking diff housings. They will swap between the two cars though.

Man that sucks they are the same but so different.

Gave up thinking and looking at parts and finial got me a Summit. I'm a happy camper now. Fun Fun. Now I will convert my E-revo back down and instock the VXL system again. Thanks guys for listen.

BRADFORD THE MAN THE MYTH, welcome to the funside, Kershaw designs sells a $20 lipo cut off, The summit light bar are in stock now allover (just dont go all blingy on me) Summit tires suck as far as speed goes - but they are great climbers, you did get the new 2.4 ghz model right??? - and yes the Dewalt is much better than the stock summit motor . if ya go brushless go Tekin, 4 wheel steering is not too hard to implement, get a set of front summit springs to put on the rear to stop that squatting when it takes off fast , (yes summit springs are longer than erevo springs) - see ya on the summit forums. (anyone else wants to convert?)
    Last edited by noir 522; 05-18-2010 at 08:02 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.

Hehe, your to much bro. I'm having a blast with my brother-in-law now since we both have Summits. What a fun truck, Traxxas nailed this one. I already order the light bar, and I'm thinking about ordering the duel brake light kit (turns brighter when in reverse). I love the Summit tires and your correct they suck for speed but kick butt in the trails and rock climbling. The stock motor is more than enough power/speed for me with my lipos. Good idea about the springs.

The E-revo will be my back up trial riding truck if the Summit brakes. Though she can't go where the Summit can she is now setup with stock springs/long arms/and Moabs which goes alot more place the stock E-revo could.

Fun Fun

I just want to add I'm still having a blast with the E-revo which is set up similar to Traxxas Revo minus the spools. Still a great truck to have fun with.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4x4

no need to remove the spacers, it makes the truck taller
    http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...0421001639.jpg

Please keep all images to a width of 640 pixels or less.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-19-2010 at 11:39 PM.
    E-maxx 3905
    outlaw RPM VXL Slash
    summit

Ok you guys your probably sick of hearing from me, but I can't stop modding my e revo since I now have a summit to compair to.

The results are more than good. Now setup is as followed.
    Tires - Moabs (heavy but great basher/crawlers)
    shocks - powersteering fluids with #1 pistons
    springs - stock but streched at each ends which worked perfectly.
    Motor - 775 with stock gearing 14/68
    batterys - 2 2s 20c 5000 mah.

Bottom line hear is I'm gonna have to make a video because these thing bashes better than my summit. But crawling goes to the summit hands down. I learned a lot from having the summit, the spring setup correctly and loose oil/shock rebound return is key to unleasing the revo crawling/bashing suspension. If you have a revo and want the summit type suspension it's not far off with stock stuff, just your time. Tires are a must if you want to go anywhere but thats the only real money needed to spend if you don't want to get stuck. You don't need lockers to have a very moblie revo, trust me. Also want to add what a great motor the 775 is.
    Last edited by brad65ford; 05-20-2010 at 10:38 PM.

back again

Here is my E-Revo with some Pro Line Tranchers. Since I have the Summit its been easy to compair and upgrade the Revo to Summit specs. I don't miss going fast with the E-revo much I enjoy going slower and climbing over stuff more (I brake less things ). I haven't done the diff lockers or a-arms yet, but 2 speed/shock/springs/long arms have made a huge different. Also summit body/body mounts/bumpers and light/17mm hubs have been changed to summits also. I know I could have just bought another Summit but I'm having fun converting her over.

Brad
    -Summit stock
    -E-Revo converted into Summit