Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

LHS owner has a tempertantrum because I only purchase parts not the actual vehicle.

I can always spot a bargain or so I try. When I first purchased the rustler vxl I did not know of this hobby shop but once I did I was there every other day asking questions and buying parts for the car. Then my soon to be wife found the cheapest E revo on the net and bought it for my birthday, I also purchased 2 Stampede brushed for my nephews and got a great deal because I am a member. My question is do you think it is right for the owner to get mad that all I purchase is parts when he can not come close to the prices on any of the trucks I payed for or the lipos. His cheapest 2s is at least 60$, I payed 26$ for hyperion 2s 4500 30c, I could buy two hyperions for the cost of his one. He told me I may have to go somewhere else because he wants the "the whole enchilada" and me buying just parts is only pittance. Mind you between the four trucks I have spent at least $400 to $600 in his shop and this is since January when it all started(the hobby that is).
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Competitor
    I would take my business somewhere else

RC Qualifier
    I would tell him a few things that would get me warning points on here. Right before I asked him to come outside with me. Mind you, I'm from Texas and that's how we do business. Don't let him bug you
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Racer
    Id shop somewhere else. You can get most stuff in couple days anyways, i for one would never go back, but ya, not before i told him what i thought. LOL.

RC Racer
    I have to go back one more time to pick up a part that did not come in today. I just looked at him and just shook my head in disbelief, I had to walk away because if I didn't, lets just leave it there. @cultivate he is 5 feet tall and I am 6'5" if he was a little bigger I may have asked him that question. He thinks because he is the only shop on this side of town he can do what he wants, the next shop is a half an hour away and most are to lazy to take the drive, not me for the other shop has a race and bashing track. We live in Ct and it only takes about two hours to drive thru the entire state. Plus like you all mentioned it only takes a few days for ordered parts even less if I can't wait and pay for faster shipping.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Enthusiast
    It would pay shop owners well to remember that they are doing you a service not the other way around ... its not their right to have you spend your money at their establishment ...

That shop owner is an idiot.
    He should be thanking you for at least buying parts from him.

He obviously can't handle the ebay competition.
    If I were you i would just buy everything from ebay and see if he prefers that.
    What that idiot doesnt understand is a sale is a sale weather it's a $2.00 part or a $400 truck.
    He should be trying to win you over.
    Thats just my 2c
    Last edited by carraig042; 03-31-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Can't get enough of my Rc's

RC Racer
    @Thefourhorsemen I never complained about paying his prices. I actually thought we had a good relationship, I have no problem paying extra on parts when I need them but if I can save 50 to 100 dollars on something I can get online then I am going to jump at it, it is my hard earned cash and i have the right to spend it as I please. The first problem he had was the fact that I purchased Hyperion batteries online at half the price, mind you I got the idea partly from him because he runs these same batteries in his airplane only bigger. When he buys products from all the different companies do they tell him you can only purchase from us because we want the whole enchilada? This is just bad business plain and simple, with that being said I still spend money there I say about 150 dollars a month and that is the problem, he sees dollar signs on the other items that I purchased but that is my business not his just like it's not my business how much he makes and what he does with his money.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Enthusiast
    err sorry if i came off sounding like i was behind the store owner, i most certainly am not ...

RC Racer
    Oh I am sorry I was not attacking you 4horsemen. Just venting
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Racer
    Brain fart.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Qualifier
    Wow. i woulda said something like "oh im sorry, i figured SOME business was better than NO business, but seeing as how you want it all or nothing, well i guess youve already made your choice... Cyaaa" Then i would go home and order 5 of every part i might need in the next year or so. Man it really burns my waffles when people just expect you to pay whatever they want.

Thankfully, my lhs is awesome, and their customer appreciation make you WANT to come back (or rather, never leave in the first place)

-Free plug for Action hobbies in Kingsville Ontario (Can) Those guys rock!

Cmaynexblack if i were you, i'd take my business elsewhere.
    Mr nitro? Not since going brushless!

RC Racer
    Personally, I try to do all my business with my LHS. But, this guy sounds like an !! I too would probably stop giving him business!

Edited for Language
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-31-2010 at 11:22 PM.
    ERBE,EMBE,Emaxx,(3)Slash 4x4,Summit,Summit 1/16

RC Qualifier
    I'd walk in there and grab a 1/5 baja, take it to the till, and make sure he's watching, then turn around and say to him, "OH, right, i can get the fuel for this from somewhere else, and you want all or nothing, so i guess I'll go elsewhere to make this $1000+ purchase", and walk out

My lhs did the same thing, i asked them about pricing on a couple trucks, then i told them it was like 20% cheaper to buy it online, they tried to guilt trip me about how if i didn't buy the truck from them then they wouldn't make money and wouldn't be around for me when i needed parts and BS like that, i walked out, and only go back to that LHS if i need something right away and i have verified that none of the other 4 hobby hops in the city has that part.
    Last edited by ThacoVXL; 03-31-2010 at 11:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    believe it or not...my lhs will usually match any price i find online. They are awesome. I found a new platinum Slash online for $368. and the lhs had theirs listed for $399. he said he would match it. hmmm. guess some businesses know how to handle things correctly. Now anything and everything I need I buy from them. You gotta have trust and honor somewhere or another. Sounds like your LHS has a few problems. It's just bad knowing that some people have no respect at all. Especially in todays economy, with money low and jobs few/far between.
    Youtube Search- Tommy Wooten RC

RC Qualifier
    From what I have heard most Hobby Shops will match the going price online for a new kit but new and a used bargain are two very different things. I do the exact same thing and get a few sideways looks when I go in talking about a new truck I need parts for that wasnt bought there. They are pretty cool though, just keep trying to sell me on Planes. I say buy whatever you want wherever you want money talks he cant turn you down at least not if he is smart (these shops usually struggle as it is to keep the doors open and put food on the table at the same time) and he's not giving you any deals it sounds like so what do you have to lose.
    That's Just How I Roll ««o==o>

RC Qualifier
    All or nothing you said? Okay, see you at the end on Never-ary!
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

RC Qualifier
    Sound like he needs a lesson in "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Champion
    I'd go back and ask him if he could have matched the prices you paid...including shipping to be totally fair. If YES then tell him "NEXT TIME I will check with you before buying on-line". If NO then ask him if he pays sticker price for his car or shops around for the best deal?

I buy my car from the BEST DEAL and give my Dealer a chance to match it .... but I always have it serviced at my local dealer and SERVICE does not care where I bought the car.

I will often pay a bit more for stuff at my LHS just because I need it NOW. I want him to be in business!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughes500Bob
    I'd go back and ask him if he could have matched the prices you paid...including shipping to be totally fair. If YES then tell him "NEXT TIME I will check with you before buying on-line". If NO then ask him if he pays sticker price for his car or shops around for the best deal?

I buy my car from the BEST DEAL and give my Dealer a chance to match it .... but I always have it serviced at my local dealer and SERVICE does not care where I bought the car.

I will often pay a bit more for stuff at my LHS just because I need it NOW. I want him to be in business!
    With his attitude I wouldn't give him the luxury at this point, if he understood business he would suggest something like that as a way to grow this users business rather then stating his displeasure at him buying only parts.

RC Racer
    cmaynexblack - Where id CT is this shop? I live in Hamden so I might know where you're talking about.
    Just rub some dirt on it, it'll be fine.......

RC Competitor
    ... I work in the hobby business and while I'd like to sell you some trucks, especially if you're asking for my help (usually pro bono) i'd much rather sell parts than trucks. A part trip or two will almost always out profit a truck sale. From reading around online, people seem to think shops rake in cash on vehicle sales... I can promise you the profit margin is very very low.

Sounds like this guy needs to chill out. I've met a few shop owners who almost act like helping customers is a waste of time. Exercise your dollars elsewhere... I can't even imagine having that kind of conversation with a customer.

RC Qualifier
    My LHS's are just the opposite, they want you to by the parts because they don't make that much on the Entire truck, at least that's what the one owner told me. He said if it was up to him and not some customer's demanding he sell trucks that he wouldn't carry any at all, he said the profit margin is so much higher on the parts. But if you buy a RC Truck from him he will back it up all the way, if you buy one from say Tower, and bring it in there, will charge $20.00/hr to fix them, fortunely I fix all my own Trucks.

RC Champion
    the one thing i've learned to do when in situations like that is not to give them what they want. Sometimes people take their opinions too far. He has deffinately done that here. And when people get like that, there is no reasoning with them. To sum it up... you can't fix stupid/stubborn.

Sometimes being the bigger person screws you over. But honestly, you've done the right thing by not arguing with someone who has skewed logic. You won't win.

RC Champion
    It sounds to me like you have some parts on order there. When you go in to pick them up thank him for his service and "remind" him that there is another shop that is "only" 30 mins away and you like to drive...... Then tell him that you'll be taking your purchases there as they are happy for any type of sale.

There was a hobby shop here that was just like this place and thankfully it changed hands and was bought by someone that had a clue how to run a business. I've walked out of so many shops due to bad attitudes I can't count them any longer. I had a shop order a part for me and he told me what it would cost. I agreed and he ordered it. When I went to pick it up he tried to tell me the part was more expensive than we agreed and i would have to pay the difference if I wanted it. The difference was a dollar or two but pretty close to double. I thanked him and walked away never to return.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Racer
    I went back today and calmly told him to stay out of my pockets and stop trying to spend my hard earned cash for me. I told him I will be driving the extra 25 minutes to go to Prospect hobby(plus they have a bash and race track). He tried to say you have to know when the relationship is not working and I interrupted him and said you are right, this relationship is not working due to your arrogance, ignorance and I will not be coming back. I again told him you can't match any of my prices and went over everything I purchased elsewhere and he just switched subjects. He went off on me infront of 5 to 7 customers and today there was about the same amount and I would not let him get a word in.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Qualifier
    Nice. I love that
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Racer
    Branford hobby shop and the service is sometimes very slow, 2 weeks to solder two batteries that were not purcahased from him, luckily I have 8 others.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Racer
    I run a community service volunteer program and half the people I see in his shop or in the parks playing I see at some point in time either for volunterring or court ordered. This is where word of mouth can be dangerous but I am not vindictive, in this day and age I wish no one Ill will or bad juju.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Racer
    @David where do you run and bash? Let me know if your ever looking for another RC partner,associate or whatever you call it
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Champion
    I suppose if I were 5' tall, I'd be a little ornery too......
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Champion
    I find it strange an owner would have an all or nothing attitude. I mean, does he require other customers to show a total vehicle proof of purchase before they can buy anything else ?
    Great business model.
    ------
    hmmm, I've never seen it spelled that way.

RC Racer
    @ vashon that's the same thing I asked him. I think that he thinks he is smarter than most and most people tend to go with what he says, me I like to make sure I am getting the best deal and will not be bullied by no one into buying. He hasn't swayed me to buy a truck from him or a big ticket item because of the price and partly that attitude. He is his own worst enemy.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Racer
    @slotterhouse, maybe it was height envy, who knows?
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Champion
    I wouldn't go back. Let him starve plain and simple. If you want to buy local shop somewhere else. This economy is causing hobby shops to drop like flies. I have looking into liquidiating many of hobby shops inventory after they shut down. Most at 10-20% of thier actual cost.

I was in the process of opening my own shop. There are two other in the local area and neither are doing great. When I open up I will be 100% internet. FYI trucks are generally sold a 10-50 dollars above cost in most places. Part prices can be anywhere between 10% above to 3x cost. Generally the cheaper the part the more the margin.
    Pay It Forward.

tell him he seems like an all or nothing type of guy.....and since you dont buy it all there, now you buy nothing....my 2 cents. my lhs guy in california understands the internet and knows you can get full cars cheap....and he cant match net prices for the trucks....he makes up for it with cheap parts, great service, and awesome inventory......
    Cheers,
    RomeoX
    "You Can't Fix This Car Spicoli"

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I was a manager of a Hobbytown for awhile, so I can see both sides of it. While it stabs you in the heart to have someone tell you how they buy all kinds of stuff online, you have to be thankful to have them buying stuff in your shop. We didn't make much on vehicles either, so I don't know why he would be mad about you just buying parts. That's where the profit is! There are a lot of shops and word of mouth can be a powerful thing, so him acting like an idiot is just foolish. When shops try to gouge people on prices, they pay the price eventually. They might get the newbies for a little bit, but I think as a whole those of us that have been in the hobby know to shop around. A place that won't match prices in this day and age is doomed. Too much competition.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    To some extent the owner is correct. If you dont support your local shops they wont be there to support you. Sure you may be able to get a truck cheaper online and you have every right to do so.

However, some of that extra $$ you spend to buy it locally goes towards the support and personal hands on help they give you. Ya know tune your car, help you fix this, give you suggestions, whatever.

If you buy your cars online you shouldnt expect them to happily offer up that same level of service. Thats like buying your car from one dealer and then going to another dealer and expect a free detail.

If you just want to buy parts then he should sell them to you without any issues, but if you are asking for support then they have a legit gripe.

In closing, if you like having a local shop to get parts fast you may want to consider buying the rest of your stuff from them as much as possible.
    Slash PE, Slash 2wd, E-revo BE soon

Internet deals are mainly done by the experienced RC'r just due to the fact of their budget.

I did everything I could to support my LHS, including backing up their sales people when selling a high dollar item such as an RTR with fuel, glow plugs, failsafe (if required) and handheld temp guage. But I also would ask if they could meet some of the prices I saw elsewhere because I wanted to give them my business. Sometimes they could, sometimes they couldn't. I had a great repore with them until theft struck them 2 times in less than 6 months and the economy got to them. They no longer exist so I'm stuck with either Internet or the Super Hobby store Yeah, real super.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason_garrison
    However, some of that extra $$ you spend to buy it locally goes towards the support and personal hands on help they give you. Ya know tune your car, help you fix this, give you suggestions, whatever.
    Yes, you could do that, or you could just get FREE HELP on here and save some dinero.
    Are you an RC addict?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast