Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Most definitely I'd be shopping elsewhere. I've seen a lot of hobby shops fold over the years, and it sounds like this guy might be bent out of shape regarding his bottom line. Wouldn't surprise me if he's not around for too much longer. I pretty much just order all my stuff online these days and keep a large stash of parts on hand. It saves a lot of money and time for trips to the LHS. I've been ordering from Tower for years and just placed my first order with MyAtomic and they've got my business from now on. I saved $25 over what Tower would have charged me and got my stuff at least two days faster.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't get it...I worked for my LHS for over a year and I know that hobby shops only mark up vehicles about 15% over cost, where as parts are marked up more than 40% most of the time. In other words, he barely makes any money when you buy a car...Besides, what way is that to treat a customer that pays you for anything? You don't owe him a thing. Go shop elsewhere.
    RIP Bart Hinson
    1992-2009

RC Racer
    I supported this shop even though I had a few problems in the past, I never complained and I never threw the fact that I got a cheaper price. He would see or know when I purchased either damaged or upgrades for the trucks and he would always have something to say about it. I actually planned on buying some hard case 2s 5000 orions because they were track approved and also a mini e revo for my girl because she is into to it and for the record she never liked the guy from the first meeting. Oh well! I found a better shop and did I mention they have a track(electric Fridays), yes sir.
    Last edited by cmaynexblack; 04-01-2010 at 07:15 PM.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Qualifier
    I bought my 1st truck from my LHS, 3 more on-line ... better price. LHS knows me by name, like friends, and give me a discount for retired military. Nice folks ... don't have to be ... they are the ONLY LHS in a town of 200,00!
    US Navy retired, now - FAA air traffic controller

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by orion1024
    I've been ordering from Tower for years and just placed my first order with MyAtomic and they've got my business from now on. I saved $25 over what Tower would have charged me and got my stuff at least two days faster.
    Atomic gets all my online business now, it use to be tower but once I discovered atomic I haven't place a order with tower since. Atomic's prices are cheaper and they have free shipping on basically any order over $25.

Im in the market for an ofna lx-1e 1/8th scale 4wd electric buggy, atomic has it for $187 with free shipping. Im going around to the local shops to see what they can do as far as price. The shop I went to today wants $200 plus 12 tax. 2 other shops to checkout. If either one can do $200 including tax I will get it locally.

I still support my local hobby shop as much as possible. Fuel, small items and parts that I need sooner than I can get shipped to me I get locally. If they have to order something, no way, in the time it takes them to place the order with their distributor, receive their order, sort through it and then let me know my part is in I could order it and have it before they even get their order.
    Last edited by drummin89; 04-01-2010 at 08:33 PM.

With the way the economy is, the guy should be happy you are giving him business. He sounds like an ungrateful (add next word here) and you need to tell him that and tell him how lucky he is to have your business. This is the reason why hobby shops close down is because of idiot workers like this guy driving customers away.

When I finally got an LHS back in town that I can go to, the guy that was working was very nice and asked if there was anything I needed help with. We even bullcrapped around for 10 or 20 minutes just talking about RC and stuff.

I just can't understand why someone would say something that would possibly drive business away. I understand that people have bad days but seriously, if I owned a business I wouldn't care if you came in to only buy a $2 part, you are a paying customer so why would I want to drive you away? It doesn't make sense. Some people are just morons.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nitro
    Man it really burns my waffles when people just expect you to pay whatever they want.
    I Lol'd at this statement !

Anyways, NO you should not go back to him. That is ridiculous. Ebay is one of my best friends .
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Racer
    I left with my mouth wide open yesterday because I could not believe someone would turn away my money for no good reason. Today I left with my mouth open but that was me giving him a piece of my mind, nicely. I appreciate the feedback everyone.
    ERBE
    RUSTY VXL
    Summit 1518
    Merv & Mini Summit

RC Qualifier
    Being willing to drive a half hour can get anyone away from someone like that. Where I live there are three good lhs in that driving range. I mainly shop the closest, but when they don't have a part I need one of the other two usually will. If any one of them acted like that guy they would never see my business again.
    You can't take the sky from me.

RC Qualifier
    I was in my LHS recently, and noticed a few things:

“There’s no way the shop pays anywhere near $6.00 for this item, there must be a good profit margin in these accessories.”

”Still, $6.00 is pretty cheap to keep my _________ up and running.”

“Man, it seem like no matter the time of day, or day of the week, there are always customers in here making purchases.”

Granted, not everyone was walking out with a high priced item, but they were still doing a brisk business making sure their customers had what they needed/wanted. They have people who specialize in R/C, trains, model & rocket building and even miniature making. I find their prices to be a bit higher than online, only until you factor in shipping costs. Plus, I get what I need now.

All the relevant points have been made, like “A sale is a sale” and profit margins. This guy is no doubt an idiot for berating a customer. I would find out if he or the store has an email account, and send him a link to this thread. Maybe then he would change his tune.
    Censorship is wrong

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i just switched hobby shops. my lhs that i tried to support, but NEVER had anything in stock, and his prices were higher then online. my best friend dan took me to where is family shops, about 20 minutes from my house to shop.

all i can say is WOW. the guy knows i have at least three models i didn't purchase from him, and not only did he beat my old lhs, but beat every online price for parts.. i just ordered a new dynamite .19t mach 2, and hes like... it's going to be about 100 bucks, which where i shop is 10 bucks cheaper minus shipping.

if you look around, there are awesome hobby shops, just need to have an open mind, and ask around.
    Last edited by tmaxxchump; 04-02-2010 at 02:01 PM.
    |N|i|t|r|o|m|e|t|h|a|n|e| - My anti-drug

RC Competitor
    i live in ct also(shelton) and i havent found a good shop yet. been going to hobbytown they have some good deals there on fuel and small stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I live in northern ontario. I have one shop an hour and 15 away. One shop 2 hours away. First off, buying online from the US AND paying duty at the border is still WAY cheaper than buying from the shop thats just over an hour away. They charge WAY over the top prices. I go in there every few weeks when im through to pick up little things but id never buy a vehicle from them. I feel bad because they are nice guys but ive asked multiple times if they would be willing to give me a deal so I can buy from them instead of online and they always just say flat out "no".
    The other shop I got to way less often. Ive never bought a truck from them but ive taken a few in for service (paid) and they always give me EXCELLENT service. I buy stuff from them over the phone alot also and I always save up a list of stuff to buy when I know ill be down that way. The last time I was through there I had planned on buying a MERV but they didnt have any so I left empty handed. The cool thing is, those guys remember my name. It can be months between visits and when I go in the store, they greet me by name. I WISH they were closer, their prices are a bit higher on vehicles after tax than buying online and paying duty and shipping but their service and attitude are worth the bit extra... and I can have "it" right now.
    Like many have said, this shop owner doesnt seem to understand... in the online world we live in right now HE has to be flexible... not YOU. YOU have the option of where to shop... he doesnt have any options when it comes to his customers. If he wants you to buy the whole setup... make it worth your while... and im not talking "excellent follow up service". Im talking competitive prices and rewards for loyalty. I bet if he said he'd go %10 over the online price youve found for the first truck and %5 over for the next ones you buy from him youd be back for EVERY truck. Instead you wont go back again ever. Excellent salesmanship and very effective up-selling technique.

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    I feel so lucky now. I have AMain Warehouse and now they have a downtown store to display all the vehicles and has a descent amount of parts. But if they don't have the part at the store I can just go to their warehouse and get all my traxxas parts their. Then I can repair the the truck at the warehouse in the pitts and try it out on the indoor dirt track now.
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Competitor

hpi e10

id take that 30 min ride

RC poster
    I would tell dude to take his hobby shop and stick it! That is no way to treat a customer, not by a long shot.

I use to deal with this one shop, I bought my rusty and all of the h€op-ups there. Then one day I was there looking for a new body, and he then tells me Rusty's are for kids. I was 26 at the time. I told dude that was cool, left and never went back.

RC Champion
    I must be lucky because I've been visiting my lhs every week for the last 2 months since I bought my first 2 stampedes. If my fiancee and I place our order before 12pm, then everything arrives the next day. She also gives us a 20% discount on everything. Much cheaper than interent. I asked her once about how her profit margin was, because I order my rc and dremel parts etc through her too. She told me that it was well worth it for her to order my parts and have them here the next day plus discount being cheaper than the net. Alot of my friends now drive almost 30-45 mintutes just to come to this side of town to purchase thier parts.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AMorgan
    ... I work in the hobby business and while I'd like to sell you some trucks, especially if you're asking for my help (usually pro bono) i'd much rather sell parts than trucks. A part trip or two will almost always out profit a truck sale. From reading around online, people seem to think shops rake in cash on vehicle sales... I can promise you the profit margin is very very low.

Sounds like this guy needs to chill out. I've met a few shop owners who almost act like helping customers is a waste of time. Exercise your dollars elsewhere... I can't even imagine having that kind of conversation with a customer.
    Bingo, that is why the whole thing with the shop owner has me pretty confused. My LHS, where I work, will price match on vehicles plus 10 dollars (shipping), which I think is perfectly fair. The price match has to be from TowerHobbies or horizon hobby however, not e-bay. But the money to be made is in parts IF you can sell enough of them. I also work at a verizon store and it's the same deal there. The accessories have ENORMOUS profit margins compared to a phone.
    *For anyone who thinks 500 dollars for buying a phone outright is a ripoff, that's what we as a store actually have to pay for them, it's not just an attempt to screw the customer. It's quite odd how we make our money and probably shouldn't be discussed, but it's not from marking up phones*
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12