RC Champion

Proline Protrac kit or LCG chassis?

Most will say, 'why not use both'..well, I only have enough cash to burn on either of these. Which one gives the biggest lap time advantage? I haven't seen any thread which compares the Protrac kit to any LCG chassis..or a thorough review of the Protrac kit for that matter. I only race, almost never bash. An LCG chassis and Protrac kit cost almost the same..imo (since you need to buy a brand new set of tires to mount on the Protrac specific offset rims). Let the debate begin... Please share your thoughts.
    Thanks.
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC Qualifier
    *Subscribed.

Why not post pics/info on your favorite LCG setup. I have heard mixed reviews on them.

All that I hear on the protrac is positive, I would still like to know specifically what it is changing in the geometry though, and what the trade off(s) is (are).

I have also heard that you can piece together different parts of the protrac kit (IE use the same wheels as stock, making the track widths wider)-(not ROAR Legal)

That is a way to keep your cost down if you track doesn't check against full ROAR rules.
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC Champion
    Go with the Pro-Trac. Much more bang for you buck.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Competitor
    Personally I would go with a LCG chassis. It made a huge difference in keeping the rubber down. It doesn't matter how well your suspension is set up when your wheels are pointing up.

RC Competitor
    Testing my new LCG chassis tonight...
    MoD SLaSH - 10.5T - 2S - Hellbent LCG Chassis

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Krispy
    All that I hear on the protrac is positive, I would still like to know specifically what it is changing in the geometry though, and what the trade off(s) is (are).
    Exactly, I'm still wondering what changes had been done exactly to make the truck handle better. Wider arms, but narrower offset rims, so overall the truck is still the same width..but probably much quicker steering response due to narrower steering blocks pivot point in relation to the rims offset.

But I'm curious about it...my LHS had a freshly imported PL goodies (protracs, tires, rims, shocks,various bodies for the 2wd Slash etc) in those big brown boxes with PL markings on them. Since I'm a very close friend with the store manager, I usually 'help' him unpack, and 'reserve' any parts that I need to purchase, before they're being displayed at the shelf.. So first come, first served.

RC Enthusiast
    Go with the chassis. The proline suspension really makes the truck a handful to drive on a track without swaybars and a lot of tuning. The chassis is a bolt on that will improve the handling as soon as it touches the track.

RC Champion
    Hmm, I might just put Protrac kit back on the store shelves but I'm just curious though since I haven't actually tried it, and nobody runs the Protrac kit at the local track yet for me to test, nor an LCG chassis.. Should I just fork out $50+, on behalf of 'research'??

Due to recent responds, LCG chassis seems to give the biggest advantage..keep those opinions coming guys. Thanks to all who had responded, I really appreciated it!

RC Competitor
    First time out with the LCG chassis was 0.4 secs, best ever on a perfect lap with my old setup was 21.1, went 20.7 and it was a pretty ugly lap, truck is carrying so much more speed thru some sections I'm having to relearn most of my lines...I'm fairly confident that I can pull another 0.5 a sec off with some more track time...

Setup was identical with the stock chassis, but it does seem to want a softer shock setup and will be the first thing I look at. I'm very happy, truck turns and sticks, only problem is I'm still trying to keep the backend from coming around with the 8.5, but that was a problem even with the stock chassis...
    MoD SLaSH - 10.5T - 2S - Hellbent LCG Chassis

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostinbaja
    Go with the chassis. The proline suspension really makes the truck a handful to drive on a track without swaybars and a lot of tuning. The chassis is a bolt on that will improve the handling as soon as it touches the track.

I have to disagree with you on that point. I have the protac setup on mine and the thing feels like it has sway bars on it.I also have the outlaw chassis and imo it is the BEST setup for the slash bar none
    Last edited by wrnchbndr; 04-10-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    Loose Nuts Racing
    Skip Shartzer

RC Racer
    LCG chassis for sure.. You need to get the truck weight down low.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Imo..get a lcg chasis. It could be argued that the outlaw isnt the BEST chassis..as althought it does lower the battery, it keeps the servo, esc, and reciever up high, unlike other lighter chassis' like the xtreme chassis. Either way, a lcg chasis would be tons of help, giving less rolls, and more weight down low.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC poster
    If you're trying to save some cash you don't need to get the whole Protrac kit. I only bought the arms, wheels, and turnbuckles (although I have heard others skip the turnbuckles because their stock turnbuckles were long enough, but it didn't seem that way for me); all my other parts work fine for the most part (rear carriers are a weee bit loose, but not enough to bother me) with said pieces. I've hardly done any track racing, but from what I can tell from doing neighborhood and park running the truck is more resistant to flipping over on hard turns when I run it on asphalt and the steering is reduced just enough to improve the cornering for the way I drive.

I may not be experiencing the full benefits of the kit though, since I didn't get it in its entirety. It was my original plan to do so but from what I dug up online the shock towers can't hold up to much abuse.

RC Champion
    The shock tower hold up just fine, thye'll take anything the rpm towers will take for the most part.. I have had the protrac installed for well.. since it came out, and it alone makes the truck's manner so much more forgiving.. jumping is smoother, more controlled.. even if you launch crooked, it recovers easily and landings are very smooth, forward bite is improved and so is turn in.. as good as an LCG chassis would be, all its doing is lowering the COG. it wont improve jumping, it wont improve forward bite or ooffer better turn in... if you are breaking before your turns and have a properly setup truck, you arent rolling anyway... just my .02 ... none of this brings up the issue of 50 bucks for protrac versus 100 for a LCG... i would go protrac THEN lcg later...
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC poster
    The shock tower hold up just fine, thye'll take anything the rpm towers will take for the most part..
    I was mainly scared off by two videos I found on youtube, this one being one of them (can't find the other one for some reason)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GszIIQqcrK4

...but I haven't scratched the towers off my list since I wanna lighten the load on my slash (I have aluminum towers now). I'm just holding out long enough in hopes that running changes will be made to increase its durability.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah, some people at the track broke their rear towers where the camber links hook onto..although so far, mines alright.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Champion
    It isnt the towers.. LOL.. i'll be blunt.. its bad drivers.. or bad luck... ive been running the kit for good long time.. and i dont treat my trucks with kid gloves.. i run them and race them hard. I intend to win. the proline upgrade parts i have used, (pro trac and skids) have held up flawlessly. i snapped a stock chassis 2 weeks ago, at the rear tower mount.. tower was fine, and i continued to race the rest of the day with the tower and rear skid holding the truck together... i swear, some of these people must put on parts and then run into a wall at full throttle to test "durability"... he says 10 minutes of driving... doesnt say what broke it... they dont just fail.. LOL..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    just as a note.. the proline rear skid.. is on my MUST HAVE suggestions for people upgrading their slash.. its single piece skid/bumper mount is awesome and they way it traps the pins is another bonus..
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I first did the LCG chassis and the difference was nothing short of amazing. Last week I followed up with the ProLine Kit and again saw a nice gain. But while both mods were noticeable, the biggest improvement came from the LCG chassis.

RC Champion
    Guys, you're making it even tougher for me to decide!! But you guys brought up some invaluable perspectives..thanks. I might just go with an LCG chassis. But that means, waiting 2 weeks shipped from the States, whereas the Protrac is just an LHS away..

RC Racer
    I guess im a little late to the party but why not make your own chassis? and use the protrac setup and have the best of both worlds

you can either make two rustler chassis into one(extending from the middle or extend it slightly at the back like I did)

that's what I plan on doing in my open SCT slash that I am building I'll be making my own chassis coupled with pro-trac setup

for power I am thinking MMPRO /13.5 in cheat mode
    TRX Slash
    TRX Homemade SCT
    TRX Mid-Engine/Slash

RC Qualifier
    LCG chassis and Good tires = A slash that is extremely competitive with the other brands in Mod class .

I will say that with my Outlaw chassis it seems to like softer suspension but now that the new track layout is almost blue groove again my Goosebumps are hooking great again!
    His: 2 many Mods
    Hers: JC Goosebumps, LVA/2s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbruiser

for power I am thinking MMPRO /13.5 in cheat mode
    cheat mode= foreward and reverse?
    Chris
    Summit 4s
    DiggerPede 2s & 3s
    Slash 2WD 2s

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
    LCG chassis and Good tires = A slash that is extremely competitive with the other brands in Mod class .

I will say that with my Outlaw chassis it seems to like softer suspension but now that the new track layout is almost blue groove again my Goosebumps are hooking great again!
    Tom,
    I agree with you on the softer suspension on the LCG. I built an extended Rustler chassis (extended at rear) with the red Rustler springs in rear with 30 wt oil and two hole piston. Front 30 wt two hole pistons and stock progressive springs. The car handles the best so far, jumps and absorbs bumps well. Also good job on constantly tweaking your set up.

RC Enthusiast
    Question for track racer's..Does the proline suspension kit help the slash with sterring,jumping and traction with the stockRTR tires..I see claims of 1 to 2 second faster lap times, but every slash I see with this kit isnt running RTR tires..I mean, is it these non RTR tires making it faster OR is it truly the proline suspension upgrade?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by T.case
    Question for track racer's..Does the proline suspension kit help the slash with sterring,jumping and traction with the stockRTR tires..I see claims of 1 to 2 second faster lap times, but every slash I see with this kit isnt running RTR tires..I mean, is it these non RTR tires making it faster OR is it truly the proline suspension upgrade?
    The 2wd RTR tires really suck, they can make a good driver look really bad. But no matter how good your setup is (tires, suspension & chassis), it all comes down to the driver really.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah,i think tires have BIG part in it. Although, the pro trac does make a difference either way.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Competitor
    the Proline kit is a handful without sway bars? Is that because everything travles more?
    Slash VXL with LCG chassis, Blitz VXL