Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slash "wobble"

RC Qualifier

Slash "wobble"

Just wondering if anyone else has a noticeable wobble when at low speed??? I have changed all the arms to rpm, and all my axles are new. I have a wobble when at low speed that is not coming from the axles or wheels!

I can actually see the truck shake or wobble, and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

If you have any solutions or ideas please post...

By the way it is a PE.
    Break it, so you can upgrade it!

RC Qualifier
    if it isnt the axles or wheels, then where is the wobble coming from? thoser are the only two places i can think of..

are your tires glued onto the wheels true?
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    If the tire and axles are straight then something must be out of balance

RC Qualifier
    The axles, tires are perfect. the whole truck wobbles left to right or vice versa. I'm thinking maybe the rear carrier is bent causing to much rear toe in???

RC Racer
    Hold the car up and roll the tires by hand and you will see it wobble so to say. If it does swap tires and try another one on it and if it still does it you have a bent axial stub.. I have bent a couple now and they look perfectly untill out mounted a tire and spun it.

RC Racer
    The Axials are the only rotating parts.. Everything else is just support. Put the truck on a block and spin the tires see which one is wobbly.. And swap out tires, and if still in doubt swap out the rear axials and you will see it go away

Just a FYI... I got a new package of 2 from traxxas to replace bent sub axel that came out of the box and 1 of them was bent too..

RC Qualifier
    It is not an axle or tire...this I have already thought of. The truck will not track straight and its like the truck wants to move left to right while at low speed. I can hold the truck up and not a single problem with axles or tires. They are smooth as can be.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_lambert
    The Axials are the only rotating parts.. Everything else is just support. Put the truck on a block and spin the tires see which one is wobbly.. And swap out tires, and if still in doubt swap out the rear axials and you will see it go away

Just a FYI... I got a new package of 2 from traxxas to replace bent sub axel that came out of the box and 1 of them was bent too..
    I have all new axles just installed today with no wobble in them, I too have had many issues with the rear axles bending. Could it be a bent rear carrier??? Causing to much toe in on one side?

RC Racer
    Nope.. the Toe would not cause a wobble.. Just wear out your tires oddly.

The wobble would only come from a bent axle. Like i said jack it up and free spin the tire.. you will see it.. Then swap out the axle with one from teh other side and you should see the problem shift with the axle.

RC Champion
    I too have the mystery wobble at low low speeds... it is wierd.. i keep checking to see what i bent or broke, and everything is straight...
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Qualifier
    Nope.. the Toe would not cause a wobble.. Just wear out your tires oddly.

The wobble would only come from a bent axle. Like i said jack it up and free spin the tire.. you will see it.. Then swap out the axle with one from teh other side and you should see the problem shift with the axle.
    Already did that and no movement at all. I am thinking the rear toe in on one side being more than the other side might cause the truck to push harder in one direction? I know that too much rear toe in will normally just wear tires out very quickly. But what if one side is toe'd in more than the other???

I guess I'm going to throw my plastic carriers on and see if it fixes the problem

The truck has no vibration at all when blocked up and ran at any speed, tires are perfectly straight and no woble at all.

RC Racer
    Out side of the axle being bent, you would have to have a tire way off balance to cause it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFizz2k1
    I too have the mystery wobble at low low speeds... it is wierd.. i keep checking to see what i bent or broke, and everything is straight...
    It sucks!!! Makes the truck very unpredictable to drive unless your wide open...lol Maybe someone has had and fixed the problem before us!

Is yours a PE also?

I'm really leaning towards the rear carrier being bent-I'm going to change to the plastic ones tonight.

Guess we'll see.

RC Racer
    Different toe adustments would not cause a wobble.. You would just wear one side out different than the other.. I mean you still have even contact on the ground, Just one tire would have more traction than the other.. but again moving slow would not matter.

Unless your bearings are messed up?

RC Qualifier
    Out side of the axle being bent, you would have to have a tire way off balance to cause it.
    I have been racing for years and never had this problem before. I can fully assure you that my tires and axles are perfect, the truck only does it at low speed.

RC Qualifier
    I have checked everything I can possibly think of!!! No seized bearings, no unbalanced tires, no bent axles. Just a mysterious left to right movement, causing the truck to be very unpredictable at low speeds.

RC Racer
    You can change it out of course.. But its not a moving part expect up and down so I can not see how it would be an issue.

RC Racer
    Front or rear end? On the PE there is some play in the alumnum carriers.. So so others have complained about, however no one has ever said anything about it causing a low speed wobble like you are suggesting.. which would have to be pretty sever to make low speed driving unpredictable.

RC Qualifier
    have you taken a look at your steering servo setup? if thats come loose, or is sloppy then your car will wobble around. My subaru did that (which was a slash) at low speeds and at high speeds there was just enough pressure on it to keep it straight i guess.

Tightened up thoes arms and it all went away

RC Qualifier
    Kind of acts like a real truck with a broken tie rod...lol

Ever see a Monster truck on tv with a broken rear tie rod? My slash has that same movement!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Telnets
    have you taken a look at your steering servo setup? if thats come loose, or is sloppy then your car will wobble around. My subaru did that (which was a slash) at low speeds and at high speeds there was just enough pressure on it to keep it straight i guess.

Tightened up thoes arms and it all went away
    Yeah, I took apart my whole steering setup and check it all out. I do have a slight amount of slop in the steering-but what slash doesn't?

RC Qualifier
    I can't really tell if its in the front or rear? I think its the rear though.

RC Racer
    So put it up on a block, and run it, let the tires free hang... You will see what tire is wobbling.. Start from ground zero and work your way up.

RC Racer
    Did you lose the set screw holding the upper axle to the rear diff, But even then it should just cause play in the axle not a wobble.? Or the spacer that goes between the Pin and the bearing?
    Last edited by michael_lambert; 04-13-2010 at 02:18 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slash_racer
    It sucks!!! Makes the truck very unpredictable to drive unless your wide open...lol Maybe someone has had and fixed the problem before us!

Is yours a PE also?

I'm really leaning towards the rear carrier being bent-I'm going to change to the plastic ones tonight.

Guess we'll see.
    Yes, PE. I dont think its a bent carrier.. that would base a constant wobble.. it only happens when im going zvery very slow and its not constant at that pace either.. just a little wobble now and then.. wierd really.. i just ignore it now.. truck is working fine.
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Qualifier
    So put it up on a block, and run it, let the tires free hang... You will see what tire is wobbling.. Start from ground zero and work your way up.
    I have already done this twice. When the truck is on a block it has no wobble at all. You can not see any of the tires moving inappropriately at all, they are all wobble free.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFizz2k1
    Yes, PE. I dont think its a bent carrier.. that would base a constant wobble.. it only happens when im going zvery very slow and its not constant at that pace either.. just a little wobble now and then.. wierd really.. i just ignore it now.. truck is working fine.
    Sounds like the same problem! Only at very low speed, and very annoying!! If I figure it out I'll be sure to pm you, Please do the same.

RC Qualifier
    I didn't see anyone mention the steering blocks or anything like that. You might not have wheel or axel problem because it might be in the steering setup. I noticed my steering is a little sloppy and I had this wobble problem myself. Check your steering gear, I have a feeling that's where this problem is coming from.
    Mike Zadler
    Slash 4x4 SOLD!
    Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    I will check out the steering a bit closer, Thanks everyone. It's annoying to drive it the way it is! I am going to replace all the steering components if needed? I did notice that one of the turnbuckles seemed a bit tight when i steer, maybe that's it???

RC Competitor
    Just a thought--- In the past on a Losi XXX-T MF one of the the turnbucle studs backed out almost all the way out and while it was still in it's hole it was only held in by 2-3 threads and the stud (with turnbucle still attached) the wheel "wobbled". I just tightened the stud down and problem solved.(I just kept an eye out for loose screws from then on)

Might want to check out to see that all the turnbucle screws are screwed all the way down. Then you can cross one more thing off your list of things to look at.

Hope you find it soon before it drives you nuts.

Later,

Mark

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MDB
    Just a thought--- In the past on a Losi XXX-T MF one of the the turnbucle studs backed out almost all the way out and while it was still in it's hole it was only held in by 2-3 threads and the stud (with turnbucle still attached) the wheel "wobbled". I just tightened the stud down and problem solved.(I just kept an eye out for loose screws from then on)

Might want to check out to see that all the turnbucle screws are screwed all the way down. Then you can cross one more thing off your list of things to look at.

Hope you find it soon before it drives you nuts.

Later,

Mark
    Thanks Mark, It is driving me nuts...lol I race and any imperfection is an issue! The truck doesn't have anything loose or broken, That I've found yet at least.

I know I'm calling it a wobble, but I guess its more like shifting from side to side. Its very obvious but the problem isn't so obvious...ugh!

RC Qualifier
    tires may not be "balanced"
    Paul
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I want to see a video of the truck running with the "wobble" and one with the truck on the stand with tires off the ground. It seems like an easy problem to solve, but obviously its not that easy.

keep us posted.

RC poster
    mine wobbles too. after seeing one of the tires off alittle I changed them all balanced and spin on blocks and all was good. Put it on the ground and wobble. found you can move the front wheels a bit without the servo moving. took it all apart nothing loose just excessive play. with the toe in it must cause action on the tires as it moves forward. Nothing to do except change the plastic to alum. gotta save some lunch money first.

RC Qualifier
    What if the flat part of the tires (the tread) wasn't flat? You could spin the tires while holding a ruler against the tread to see if it has any random humps.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioStylz
    I didn't see anyone mention the steering blocks or anything like that. You might not have wheel or axel problem because it might be in the steering setup. I noticed my steering is a little sloppy and I had this wobble problem myself. Check your steering gear, I have a feeling that's where this problem is coming from.

Associated DS1313 servo, STRC bellcranks, aluminum knuckles... Problem isnt in the steering...

I did notice it happening to my 2wd today while i was testing. think the folks saying tores might be right.. i see it with my premounts.. and not with my goosebumps on either truck... i'll try some more things tomorrow... but track time in the afternoon...
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Qualifier
    I have changed to different tires, I know most of you think its a tire issue, I promise you it is not. I know how to check and balance tires, they are as perfect as possible. Axles are perfect as well, I have aluminum strc bell cranks and all aluminum castors and steering blocks. The truck does have some play in the steering, like all the 4x4's I've seen. My truck has no more play than my sons 4x4 and his has no wobble. I've been racing and running RC's for 20 years and have never had this issue before? I can't find anything out of the normal, I took the whole thing apart and checked over and over.

I will post a video today.

RC Qualifier
    Just a thought what about your shocks and springs. You say you race maybe you have a spring that is severly wore out giving you greif, or low shock oil or just bad shock oil that needs to be changed out.
    Drive it, Break it, Upgrade it

RC Racer
    Low shock oil or bad springs would just cause the truck to sag.. Not wobble.. I to race and race the slash 4x4 and even with after breaking a rear bearing carrier during a race i still completed a full lap to the pit and had full control over the kit.

When you balanced your tires did you glue the foams to the insides of the tires first?

But honestly, If everything is tighten like you said, All the parts are accounted for ( Spacers, bearings, every bolt and nut ) and you have very little play in your front end or no more than your sons.. then it comes down to a bent axle or really messed up tires..

Pull the motor out so you have no resistance and roll the truck in your hands fronts down and then rears down and see if you feel a wobble.. I have never seen wobble present itself on the surface that you could not see free spinning the tires.

Also you did not reply about the set screw holding in the rear axles?
    Last edited by michael_lambert; 04-14-2010 at 08:43 AM.

You could have some water in your tires. I had a slight wobble after running in the rain. Took a knife and cut a little hole in the tire. I then put it on the ground and ran it and water shot all over the place! I have no more wobble.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast