RC Enthusiast

Thinking about buying a bandit

So was thinking about buying the Bandit VXL but was kind of unsure about it how do you guys like yours? What normally breaks on yours if anything? Is it worth getting one or is the rustler or slash a better car to get?

If you look around this forum you will see the Rusty is vastly more popular than the Bandit. Many people who have bought the Bandit end up converting it to a Rustler. There is nothing wrong with the Bandit but the Rusty has more aftermarket parts for it and is generally more capable because of it's wider stance and bigger tires.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Well the Rustler and the Bandit as the same except the body and wheels, and I believe the front A-arms are shorter on the Bandit. (someone correct me if I'm wrong there). And it seems like most guys on here that have the Bandit usually end up converting it to the Rustler because of the more body, and wheel/tire combinations.

One of the first parts to go on the Rusty or Bandit is the idler gear. It usually strips because of the large amounts of power the brushless systems put out. I would suggest buying the steel idler gear when buying the Bandit or Rusty. (The transmission/diff are the same on the two trucks)

Not much else has borken on my truck except a strip steering servo way back in the day. (My Rusty is 5 or 6 years old) Traxxas did a great job in designing these trucks that it takes a lot to break something. I am still running a lot of the stock parts on mine.

A lot of guys also upgrade the shocks to Traxxas Big Bore. I don't have any experience with these so I can't offer any insight on them.

But in my opinion, the Rustler would be better because of the more options available for a body and wheels and tires down the road.

Edit: Dad beat me to a lot of it.
    Its a bird, its a plane...nope just my rusty

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks a lot I appreciate the info, maybe ill go for the rusty then. Are they pretty much the same speed for both of them? And do they take a lot of abuse, my old tmaxx was crap, it broke every time I drove it so I dont want something I have to fix all the time
    Last edited by yeahbear; 04-15-2010 at 09:55 AM.

RC Qualifier
    they both have similar speeds and they can take alot of abuse. I usually break things when going slow and never break things when doing 15 cartwheels down a hill. Funny how it always seems that way. With just a few upgrades from RPM or from a few aluminum part companies (except integy) these are very bash friendly and durable trucks. Also I have two 3s Lipos so that doesn't help when crashing because of the crazy speeds.
    Rustler VXL
    SPC Lipo's
    Align T-Rex 450 Pro

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah that is true it always breaks when your not doing something crazy lol, well then maybe ill pick up the rustler with a lypo to go bashing with thanks for the helpful info

RC Racer
    I like the bandit better then a Rustler.

I.M.O. If you want some street action and play on low grass/dirt mostly...get a bandit.

If you do a bit more serious offroad skip the Rustler and get a Stampede.

RC Qualifier
    I think the rustler is the best of both worlds. You can jack up the height of a rustler with some nice 30 series badlands or any taller tire and do some offroading, or you can lower it with fuel tubing or as easy as some zip ties and have great handling with some nice on-road tires. I think IMO the rustler is a great all purpose vehicle
    Rustler VXL
    SPC Lipo's
    Align T-Rex 450 Pro

RC Qualifier
    ^^ How would you lower the rusty for onroad use? fuel tubing? zipties?
    Bone-Stock Slash FTW!!!

RC Qualifier
    you use the zip ties to pull the A-arms up and secure to the shock tower. which would lower the ride height. not sure how fuel tubing is used.
    Its a bird, its a plane...nope just my rusty

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by zeek
    you use the zip ties to pull the A-arms up and secure to the shock tower. which would lower the ride height. not sure how fuel tubing is used.

Fuel tubing is used on the inside of the shock. You put it under the piston and put the shaft back in the body and refill with shock oil. You can also lower ride height by moving the lower shock mounts to the outer hole on the a-arms.

RC Qualifier
    I'd go with the Slash 2 or 4WD or the Rustler VXL.. Bandits seem to be more "delicate" than Rustlers. some of the guys at my LHS who have Bandits can't seem to NOT break them, but the Rustler/Slash guys have only broken minor parts, usually from attempting low orbit by jumping 40 ft dirt hills with a 3S or coming into a 90 degree turn on the track at mach 1. I've broken my rear shock mount on my Rustler three times, but thats from my poor wheel skills and couldn't keep it rubber side down while landing from said low orbit attempt. The Slash is another good tough car, a better choice I think if your going to use it on rougher off road areas. Slash has a bigger footprint than the Rustler, better ground clearance, and if you can afford the extra quid, the 4x4 VXL Slash FTW.
    Nothing burns the hair off your hands like 40%....

RC Qualifier
    I would get a rustler i have both a bandit and rustler. The rustler proved more durable. It has ripped the front end off another rustler and didn't even slow down. My rustler doesn't break parts it just drops parts here and there but that's because it is about 4 years old with a vxl in it. My bandit on the other hand i got it and the weekend i got i had already shattered a wheel and bent a shock shaft. That was all with a titan.
    Into curb and into ablivian

RC poster
    I just got a Bandit not too long ago. But unlike others, I didn't make my choice based on performance; although its bigger tires and higher ground clearance do give it an edge, I'm just not fond of the cartoony proportions of a stadium truck. A friend of mine has had a Bandit long before I ever did, and the only problem he's ever had was shock caps popping off.

But yeah, seems like there's not much love around here for the Bandit :-(

RC poster
    cool the rustler in almost the same good luck getting one!!!!! They can go very fast go see for yourself! XD

hands down buy the rusty vxl, i have not broken anything on it at all ive only lost one nut from the steering because screw too short also the rusty has wider base and bigger wheels better for both off and on road fun!

rustler vxl

RC Competitor
    Just make something unique or to suit your needs. This is what I came up with...

I found a good deal on a used vxl bandit, bought a slash protrac kit, wheels and tires and reused the bandit body (mostly for expense). I kind of like the way it turned out. Looks similar to a 1/8 scale 4wd buggy to me (but smaller). It's fast, handles great, is durable and is pretty capable both on and off road.

Just another option...
    Stampede VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro 4Tec VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Just to clarify some miss-information here... the Rustler AND Bandit VXL have metal gears in the transmission. they are BOTH completely brushless ready. The idler gears on all waterproof traxxas vehicles is steel... has been for a few years now.

Also, the differences between a bandit and a rustler are the front AND rear arms, camber links, steerings links front axles, wheel hexs and all 4 wheels and tires and the body. Im not %100 sure but I think the bandit drive shafts are shorter also. If you are even lightly considering a rustler, get the rustler. It really doesnt need anything to be a very capable off or on road truck and with a few minor modifications or additions it can be very very durable and bashable. Converting the bandit would be a pointlessly expensive undertaking if your going to buy a new vehicle. If you do it the way Bcsandman did it... it may be worth it.

RC Competitor
    Having just mod'd the bandit, Pav is right on; all of the arms are different, all of the links are different, you need wheel hexes, the front axles are shorter and the drive shafts are shorter, along with the wheels,tires and body.

I've personally have never been into buggies, but I have never been much of a racer. I alway liked a more universal type of vehicle and the stadium/short course/monster truck types of vehicles always served my purpose much better. When I bought the bandit vxl, I drove it around as was for a short time, and as I thought, I did not enjoy the buggy platform all that much.

Again, this is just my opinion, I'm pretty sure you will have a good time regardless of which direction you go.
    Stampede VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro 4Tec VXL

I have both a rustler vxl and a slash vxl, and if you are considering between those two vehicles for off-road use and bashing, then I would suggest a rustler. The rustler jumps more evenly and is easier to control in the air than the slash. It is an all around great truck with many aftermarket parts available. I would suggest a rustler vxl personally.

RC Qualifier
    ok... not talking about performance, cuz im too noob to say something valuable about it haha...

BUT

when you buy a rustler VXL, you have the following option :

Make it a bandit.

with just screwing off the front body mount and drilling two small holes in the rear shock tower (for the wing) on the rustler and buy a bandit body you have a bandit, because like has been said before, its the same truck, but when you buy a rustler VXL rtr AND just the bandit body, you got two for the price of one.

when you buy a bandit you have to buy a front body mount AND a body. compairing prices it would be cheaper to take some off then buy some more.

Get ure *** to the shop and buy a rustler VXL and a bandit body.