Thread: Stuck pinion!

RC poster

Stuck pinion!

Has anyone had trouble removing a stock pinion from a VXL motor? I pretty much worn the hex head trying to remove it. Then I tried heating it up; still wouldn't budge. Next I tried soldering the wrench to the head in hopes that it would give it some bite, but the solder can't seem to bond to the metal.

Any suggestions as to how to get it off? I've had this trouble before with a titan motor from a slash, but didn't put much effort into it and left it on since it was a cheap motor to begin with.

RC Qualifier
    This is a common problem for people. Traxxas uses an epoxy type threadlock and gets carried away with applying too much. Same deal with their axles. You can try using a 1/16" hex and heating the pinion with a butane torch. It needs to be fairly hot to break down the threadlock. Or, you can try drilling out the set screw with one of those special bits. You could also cut the pinion off with a Dremel. I doubt soldering would work, but just for the info you need to use an acid based flux to solder steel.

RC poster
    A torch? Wow, I was just using a little match stick. I don't have a butane torch though, will heating it over a stove top work?

RC Qualifier
    No, don't try it over a stove! You'll wind up melting something for sure. You might be able to use a cigarette lighter, but a butane torch lets you get the heat exactly where you want it (even horizontally). You need to heat just the pinion and not the motor shaft. I've never measured the temperature of the pinion, but the whole pinion will be quite hot...like a couple hundred degrees. A match certainly isn't going to cut it.

RC Champion
    A light or BBQ starter works great. Get the Pinion hot then grab it with a set of pliers. It should come right off. Thread lock Melts when it gets hot.
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Qualifier
    At the office installing another box of Internets...
    You've already stated the grub screw is messed up. Just cut it off and be done with it.
    I shot an elephant in my underwear last night...

RC Qualifier
    Not only does traxxas use a really good thread locker, but it also seems like they have really tight tolerances for their pinion. I know my stock TRX pinion fits extremely tight on my MM5700.

You could also try putting the pinion in a vice with the motor hanging down. take a punch and keep tapping the motor shaft and hopefully the motor will start to slide off the pinion. It worked for me so maybe it will work for you.
    Its a bird, its a plane...nope just my rusty

RC poster
    Success!

Took a while to heat it up since I was using a dinky BBQ lighter, but it worked. Thanks for all the help!