Thread: painting

RC Qualifier

painting

I have a Traxxas Villain ex, I pulled off all the stickers as they look pants and now thinking about spraying it. What type of paint should I use and would I be able to remove the spray after applying it to the boat if a wanted to change the colour?

Also any suggestion on colour scheme?

RC Qualifier
    Well this is helpfull!

RC Racer
    I used a plain old can of spray paint with a few coats of clear coat on top and it seems to be holding up just fine other than a few small chips. Just make sure you sand down the plastic first for better grip for the paint. I have a pretty simple color scheme just a bright orange with silver stripe. Still looks cool though. If you want I'll post some pics.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. bashin Maxxer15's Avatar
    Here's how I did mine, I screwed up the first time pretty bad, but the second time I was more careful and it came out much better.
    1. Cleaned and degreased the hull
    2. Sanded hull/top with 200 grit sandpaper
    3. Washed/dried again
    4. Primed with the regular Krylon gray primer and let dry overnight
    5. Sanded with 1000 grit sandpaper, rinsed and dried
    6. Masked out the design I wanted
    7. Painted with with Krylon Fusion, 3 coats of each color, and let dry overnight before painting the next color.
    8. After paint is fully cured, sanded with 1500 grit. Rinsed, and dried.
    9. And finally 2 coats of clear coat, and allowed to dry overnight.

I'm fairly happy with the way it came out, because of my screwup the first time, its not perfect. But redoing helped out quite a bit. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of it.
    It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

RC Qualifier
    Yes Pic would be good to see what you have done. But bashin Maxxer15 you said that you messed up the first job how did you clean up the paint that went wrong?

RC Competitor
    I'm about to embark on this same task also... But I didn't think you'd have to sand the hull - just degrease it? I am using "acrylic" paint for plastics so I believe these will "bond" to the plastic. Don't you think?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by M3Armand
    I'm about to embark on this same task also... But I didn't think you'd have to sand the hull - just degrease it? I am using "acrylic" paint for plastics so I believe these will "bond" to the plastic. Don't you think?

Acrylic is what i thourgh! let me know how it comes out!

RC Qualifier
    Cleaning and sanding is important first step. I used Practa metalic blue with acrylic clear coat over top - many light layers of each with plenty of drying in between. No chips in about 20 runs.
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

Quote Originally Posted by jsdcs07
    Yes Pic would be good to see what you have done. But bashin Maxxer15 you said that you messed up the first job how did you clean up the paint that went wrong?
    Sorry about not getting the pic yet, I don't come around these forums very often anymore.

Anyways, I just used thinner to clean up the first disaster.

Here's how the current paintjob turned out:

RC Qualifier
    That looks great bashin, very clean lookin.
    Personally I would paint villain or something right below the windshield where that white gap is. That's what I did just to fill the space better. But either way it looks good, I love your striping on the deck.
    VXL Rustler on 3s
    Villain IVX on (2) 2s

Yeah, theres still some thing I want to do with it. But I'm not sure if I want to go back and paint anymore, I might just add a couple decals.

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Bashin Maxxer15. Nice Job Simple but clean. I will get round to doing mine one day but moving house over the next month or so, So not had a chance to do it yet!!! any more Pic? After painting i plan on doing a trailer then the BIG dission keep the e-maxx to tow it with of sell it and get a summit!!!.