Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Champion

Any Good Reasons To Buy Maxx Instead Of Revo?

I use my Rusty VXL for high speed on pavement only. I use my Summit for off-road, crawling and bashing duty.

The problem is, there's a void in my lineup. I want a truck capable of high speed while off road. 4wd is a must, so that leaves me with two options: Brushless Maxx or brushless Revo?

I started off with the Summit, and part of the reason why I bought the Rusty VXL shortly after instead of the Revo is because (at the time) I couldn't justify buying two high-priced trucks that were so similar in design. I figured if I was going to own multiple trucks, I wanted them to be as different as possible. Well, that was before the addiction completely set in. Now, anything goes.

I've never driven a Revo, but I'm obviously very familiar with the chassis and suspension design. IMO, the design of the Revo/Summit is the best Traxxas has to offer. Yet I'm really drawn toward the E-Maxx. I like the style, I like the ground clearance, I like truck-looking trucks.

Now if the brushless Maxx cost substantially less than the Revo, the decision would be a no-brainer, but the fact that they are similarly priced is making the decision harder.

So honestly, are there any advantages to owing a Maxx instead of a Revo? I'd love to hear some opinions on this!
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Qualifier
    If the summit and revo are very similar in design, and you don't want two of the same thing, get the emaxx.
    I don't own a revo nor a summit, but I'm very happy with my 3905. On 4S and brushless, mine is very tough. The Maxx series of trucks is a classic, so you may as well own a piece of history. It may not be the best out there, but classics never are.

The Emaxx does look a lot more like a proper scale truck than a Revo does. The suspension is more standard, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing; it gives is a more scale look while being very capable offroad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but fitting any battery is easier in the Emaxx because of the design of the battery tray.

I'll let other people who have both give a more subjective comparison.

For what it's worth, the emaxx is more capable offroad than it is onraod, while the erevo appears to be more capable onroad than it is offroad.
    Both are GOOD in either scenario, but one better than the other in any given scenario.
    You are unique just like everyone else

RC Champion
    The e-maxx has alot of aftermarket support, which i like. The chassis is nive and open and its easy to work on.
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Competitor
    I really enjoyed both trucks, now I just have the e-maxx. my favorite part about it is the incredible amount of aftermarket parts available. The revo was fun, and i enjoyed playing around with my suspension tuning. The maxx is very easy to work on, the revo is a bit more complicated. And about the battery tray, i found the revo compartment annoying to use. But I do think the battery trays on the e-maxx are a week point. I broke one completely off by jumping about 12 feet and landing upright on the wheels.
    Brushless E-Maxx

I have both & I have broke more parts on my Maxx. Revo is one tough machine. I have a Summit on order. If I was to do it over I would get a Revo & Summit. I have about $400.oo plus in after market for my Maxx. I have yet to start the build, Still need more parts. I like my Maxx, just to many weak points. I have no plans to up grade my Revo. After the upgrade to the Maxx I think I will love it even more. It will be one tought truck. Good luck I think you will enjoy either one. Check out some of the builds posted. If you like to upgrade you will get the Maxx.
    Last edited by 87 GN; 05-01-2010 at 06:58 AM.

RC Champion
    Thank you very much for the replies so far, guys!

Keep 'em coming!

RC Champion
    I'd recommend the E-Maxx due to the fact it's basically a completely different truck than the E-Revo.

On the one hand it is nice that the E-Revo and Summit share so many parts, but they are almost exactly the same truck. Just a different set of wheels, locking diffs, two speed transmission and better axles is what the Summit has over the E-Revo.

So my unprofessional vote is E-Maxx. It's a classic, it is fun as heck and with upgrades it is nearly bullet proof.

I also prefer how the E-Maxx looks with its shock setup and body.
    E-Maxx 3905 - Rustler 3707 - Slash 5805

RC Qualifier
    I think I agree mostly with what every one has said here. I do not own the ERBE neither but the comments seems very unbiased and true for the most part IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by timie1
    If the summit and revo are very similar in design, and you don't want two of the same thing, get the emaxx.
    I don't own a revo nor a summit, but I'm very happy with my 3905. On 4S and brushless, mine is very tough. The Maxx series of trucks is a classic, so you may as well own a piece of history. It may not be the best out there, but classics never are.

The Emaxx does look a lot more like a proper scale truck than a Revo does. The suspension is more standard, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing; it gives is a more scale look while being very capable offroad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but fitting any battery is easier in the Emaxx because of the design of the battery tray.

I'll let other people who have both give a more subjective comparison.

For what it's worth, the emaxx is more capable offroad than it is onraod, while the erevo appears to be more capable onroad than it is offroad.
    Both are GOOD in either scenario, but one better than the other in any given scenario.
    ^^^ My unbiased sentiments as well. I totally agree with what was said here.

And although I don't have the ERBE, from frequently browsing through the ERBE forum almost daily it would appear that battery choice is a big deal....mostly though, when it comes to choosing 3S (11.1v) batts. The tray seems much more limited to these batts. compared to the EMBE.

* OP, I would ask this same Q in the ERBE forum as well...if you haven't already; and try and screen the comments and see for yourself what seems biased vs. unbiased.
    Last edited by makaveli72; 05-01-2010 at 07:23 PM.
    **I hope there are RCs in Heaven; EMBE + 6S FTW!**

RC Champion
    If there is one thing I noticed in E-Revo vs E-Maxx discussions, people are always going on about how much more durable the E-Revo is and that it handles better. Those seem to be the most touted points about it.

I guess the handling thing is due to the lower mounted batteries, helps lower the center of gravity. There are LCG chassis options for the E-Maxx if that's really a concern at all or you can get the FLM chassis and mount the batteries underneath it.

The durability thing is most likely true but once you start going through upgrades like anyone will on this forum, the E-Maxx will become quite strong.

In all honesty you really can't go wrong with either truck. If I already had the Summit, I'd go with the E-Maxx just due to it being a completely different beast instead of more of the same with the E-Revo.

RC Qualifier
    ^^^ I'd give it handling...but durability. No! In that dept. they are even IMHO.
    **I hope there are RCs in Heaven; EMBE + 6S FTW!**

RC Champion
    I don't know for myself, I've never even seen an E-Revo in person. It just seems like the E-Revo die-hards are always going on and on about durability and handling when I read those kind of threads and the E-Revo guys are coming on hard.

Jay 313: How does your Summit hold up to abuse? That should give you a pretty good idea of how a E-Revo would handle abuse but at lower speeds.

RC Competitor
    I have a new Summit and an old e-maxx 3906 and have contemplated between the EMBE or the ERBE. I'm leaning towards the BL maxx. One question I have is which is better for jumping.....I was always told the e-maxx?

Doug
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

There is no doubt, to anyone who's bashed both, the E-revo is much more durable in stock form. I had my 3905 for about a year, Did alot of upgrading, and it was still not as durable as my E-revo, stock. I was at the point where I would not bash my Maxx, the breakage just kept coming. The handling of the 2 is not even close, on road, off road, jumping, or a track, doesn't matter, the E-revo owns the Maxx.

If the E-revo had never been made, I'm sure I would now have a Maxx, with a couple thousand in upgrades. However the E-revo allows you to have that performance, without the extra money on upgrades.

I can think of only 2 reasons to get a Maxx, if you want to run big batteries, that won't fit in the E-revo, or if your main reason for getting it is wanting to upgrade.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    oops,
    I've bought E-Maxx Brushless Edition just now and was planning on doing upgrading. I've owned E-revo for about a year and have done everything on it so figured now it's time to move on to something else, and I bought E-Maxx Brushless Edition. I thought E-Maxx Brushless Edition would be just as tough and durable as revo with different geometry but I guess I was wrong...

RC Qualifier
    my 2 cents, batteries that fit in my e-revo won't fit in E-Maxx Brushless Edition. I had to do mod(grind out side guard) to make that fit in. Length wise, it's also a lot shorter than those of e-revo.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by michael kang
    oops,
    I've bought E-Maxx Brushless Edition just now and was planning on doing upgrading. I've owned E-revo for about a year and have done everything on it so figured now it's time to move on to something else, and I bought E-Maxx Brushless Edition. I thought E-Maxx Brushless Edition would be just as tough and durable as revo with different geometry but I guess I was wrong...
    Is your E-revo a BL? You are said you did everything on it by this I'm assuming you upgraded it? Once you upgrade the BL e-maxx it will be bullet proof as well. Which truck is better for making big air jumps?

Doug
    3908 EMBE, 5607 Summit

RC Champion
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, guys. I really appreciate your time.

I'm going to have to go over your answers again and think about more because I'm still not really any closer to a decision. I keep going back and forth.

I like the size of the Revo. Bigger is better, IMO. I do know that the body/wing would be the first thing to go, and I'd have get bigger tires and whatever other suspension changes to get more ground clearance, because the stock ride height would definitely not work for my purposes. So I'm wondering if by doing all that I'd be undoing all the handling advantages of the Revo.

Handling is not super important to me, because this truck isn't likely to see pavement. I'm not looking for a truck that handles like a cheetah, but rather a bull in a china shop.

How much suspension travel does the Maxx have, and are there any mods to improve that?

RC Champion
    Why do you say the E-Revo is bigger? The E-Revo is a hair longer (probably due to the wing) and the E-Maxx is a hair wider. The E-Maxx apparently has a bit more ground clearance too, 4" vs 3.86"

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...3908_specs.htm

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...5608_specs.htm

I have no idea how to measure suspension travel, else I would.

RC Qualifier
    On a mountain, S.W. Colorado and Nothern Illinois
    Well, I am sorry... But I have to say ERevo.... I had a Maxx before anyone starts in on me... Both of them have there ups and downs...

My ERevo is jacked up a little not too much though (sitting where the nitro sits). Im running offset wheels at the moment and it rips and handles! It will handle anything that I can throw at it. Then when I want to go street bashing its just a matter of moving the push rods around and BAM monster truck lowrider .

One thing that you do have going for you is that you know the Summit... ERevo is the same. Oh and if you dont like the wing, its a matter of putting a nitro rear bumper on it.
    fine line between hobby and mental illness

RC Qualifier
    ^^^What he said!^^^

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy81
    Oh and if you dont like the wing, its a matter of putting a nitro rear bumper on it.
    If I bought an E-Revo ever, that would be the first thing to go. I loathe wings/spoilers on anything but airplanes.

I also don't like how car-like the stock E-Revo body is. I prefer the truck style body of the E-Maxx and nitro Revos. That would be the second thing to go after the wing.

It seems like to me, that the E-Revo would make a better racer and that it is a bit more durable, though durability is a bit subjective to driving style and such.

Maybe a way to look at it is like the Slash 4x4 vs the Slash Ultimate? Basically the Slash Ultimate has almost all the Traxxas upgrades thus making it stronger and more race worthy while the standard Slash 4x4 can be built up to that level.

If what everyone says is true, the trucks can basically do the same things, one just has a bit higher durability out of the box.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinco
    Is your E-revo a BL? You are said you did everything on it by this I'm assuming you upgraded it? Once you upgrade the BL e-maxx it will be bullet proof as well. Which truck is better for making big air jumps?

Doug
    I've started with normal E-Revo. Then I transformed into Brushless version using single motor plate/cover with NEU1515/1Y and MGM224/18 ESC. Followings are lists of upgrades. (Don't tell me why I haven't upgraded to Aluminum/Metal for certain parts.. I've tried that and broken/bent several times and went back to stock plastic which is much more durable and resilient).

1. Tekno Axle Carrier (with the use of 8mm stub axle, eliminated wheel wobbling greatly)
    2. RPM TrueTrack for rear (eliminated needs for toe link - but I didn't like this that much since it made the car out of balance under heavy acceleration. I won't do this on my Maxx)
    3. RPM A-Arm for front
    4. RC Solutions Roll Cage
    5. Tekno Sway Bar Kit (only for front. With use of RCS Roll cage, you can't use sway bar(neither traxxas nor tekno) at rear
    6. Shock Spring change (didn't go for VDP Shock)
    7. CVD for center drive shaft (I'm not changing my drive shaft to CVD with so many negative feedbacks on it. I have 8 spare drive shafts in hand so that I can change whenever it snaps)
    8. Futaba BLS451 Servo
    9. Futaba 3pm 2.4GHz

I guess this is pretty much everything I've done on my revo. I can't think of anything else that is worth while to go for.

P.S. I've heard RC-Monster Hybrid Differential would be bullet proof differential. But E-Revo Differential has held up for more than a year on 6s abuse of NEU1515/1Y power. So I guess it's not worth the money to go for that..
    Last edited by michael kang; 05-02-2010 at 08:04 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by orion
    If I bought an E-Revo ever, that would be the first thing to go. I loathe wings/spoilers on anything but airplanes.

I also don't like how car-like the stock E-Revo body is. I prefer the truck style body of the E-Maxx and nitro Revos. That would be the second thing to go after the wing.

It seems like to me, that the E-Revo would make a better racer and that it is a bit more durable, though durability is a bit subjective to driving style and such.

Maybe a way to look at it is like the Slash 4x4 vs the Slash Ultimate? Basically the Slash Ultimate has almost all the Traxxas upgrades thus making it stronger and more race worthy while the standard Slash 4x4 can be built up to that level.

If what everyone says is true, the trucks can basically do the same things, one just has a bit higher durability out of the box.
    Without the wing, body mount will break everytime the truck flips over. If body mount breaks, motor will hit directly on the ground. That's why I'm shopping for roll cages now for my Maxx..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by orion

We think alike, that's exactly what I said!

You're right, I was wrong about thinking the Maxx was substantially larger. I guess I got that impression by watching a comparison video between the Maxx and the Summit. The 7" Summit tires probably had a lot to do with it looking larger. No matter which truck I end up buying, it will be getting tires at least as large as the Summits.

RC Qualifier
    Well the wing dose help from what I have read, it helps plane it out in the air and at speed it gives a bit more. I ditched mine for the nitro set up... Its a matter of 4 screws to put it back on.

Well I thought the same thing about the body but it actually grew on me. I still run it, but Ive been running a pick up body more and more.

The ERevo is and EMaxx both have the same issues as far as the toe links snapping and arms breaking. RPM the arms on either one and there would be no issues. Then upgraded toe links.

Well yeah they both can do the same thing but one will require more money to do it.... The ERevo still has a lower COG unless you get a FLM frame or similar. The suspension is very tunable on the ERevo...

It just comes down to what is wanted.... Both are very good trucks but I would lean to the Revo still...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by michael kang
    Without the wing, body mount will break everytime the truck flips over. If body mount breaks, motor will hit directly on the ground. That's why I'm shopping for roll cages now for my Maxx..
    Is this more of an E-Revo specific issue?

I've flipped over pretty hard so many countless times and have yet to break body mounts or shock towers. Maybe I'm just getting lucky, not sure. The body has tons of scuff marks but hasn't torn or bent yet either.

Jay 313: If you like your Summit tires a lot, you could always buy a second set of them for whichever truck you get. All three of these trucks use the same 17mm wheel hubs, so they would mount right up.

However, I'm not sure if they'll hold up to the brushless power very well with the higher gearing the E-Maxx/E-Revo have. Might want to check on that if you want to go with them.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm even considered a hard basher. The only times I break things are when I do something stupid it seems.

RC Qualifier
    NO NO NO Summit tires!!!! They are WAY too soft!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOppcFuaEU watch @ 4:10. He only had Kershaws in it... Now just think about that with a MMM.... you would be able to catch the rubber.....

RC Champion
    wow, knew they were soft but not THAT soft. Definitely no good for anything faster than 20 mph it looks like. Considering the pictures I've seen in here of the brushless tires ripping apart I guess it really shouldn't be too surprising.

RC Qualifier
    It would be a good idea to get some prolines and tape them up....

RC Champion
    I meant Summit sized tires, not the actual Canyon AT's. Heck, I've been wanting those tires off of my Summit for a while now. No way I'd put them on a brushless truck.

RC Qualifier

RC Champion
    Those wheels are 14mm hexes, so you'd have to get some smaller hexes for either the E-Revo brushless or E-Maxx brushless.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1171&search=Go

I'm a fan of the Proline MOAB (7") tires myself. Problem is they're very heavy when combined with beadlock wheels, so a standard glue-style wheel may be a better idea.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, but look at the price on HB vs. Tower..... I had a set of hexes laying around...

RC Champion
    I just threw up the tower hobbies link because they had specifications and dimensions, that's all.

I don't get how they can sell those for $10/set.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I really dont know either... But I did pick myself up a set and a set of street tires on 17mm wheels... You think that price was good, the street tires were $5 a set.....

RC Qualifier
    I have been thinking about getting one or the other myself for a while and have read about 10-15 of these threads. From what i have read they are both good bashers. E-maxx edges out the e-revo a little bit. Personally i think the e-revo can bash better than the e-maxx can race so e-revo gets the vote for all around truck. A buddy of mine has an e-maxx and he doesnt really break parts at all and we jump off off 20ft+ dirt hills. So its a toss up for either. Traxxas really did do a good job with these two trucks which makes this decision so much harder than it should be lol
    Rusty vxl
    SPC lipo's
    Google Johnny Unite Us

RC Champion
    ive owned Maxx truck before as many here have said. Ive also owned Every Traxxas Vehicle made since the VXL came out. I say my ERBE is byfar the most capable of all. with minimal changes, you cn make a great basher, racer, high jumper, or what ever else besides boating
    Im not being biased but i will voice my opinion
    Drive it like you stole it or leave it shelved

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy81
    NO NO NO Summit tires!!!! They are WAY too soft!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOppcFuaEU watch @ 4:10. He only had Kershaws in it... Now just think about that with a MMM.... you would be able to catch the rubber.....
    i bought some Summit tires for my ERBE and ran them twice on 4cell. not a very good choice. Anyone interested in them???
    Drive it like you stole it or leave it shelved

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pedecrawler
    boating
    Hey now... Get a brushed version and it can do that to...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    The problem is, there's a void in my lineup. I want a truck capable of high speed while off road. 4wd is a must, so that leaves me with two options: Brushless Maxx or brushless Revo?
    Why not just stick a MMM/2200Kv in your Summit?? That'll take care of that void no problem.

And the Summit's tires will smooth out after you run them for a bit, I've had mine up to around 50MPH (seems like the foams are bunched up in spots when they are new).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast