RC Enthusiast

Stiffer springs for Big Bores

Foregive me if this has been discussed before but I havn't been able to find the answer i'm looking for. I have a vsl pede with REM extended chassis and aluminum shock towers, and FLM extended a-arms. After blowing my stock shocks completely apart while jumping I recently put Traxxas big bores on. I am happy with the dampening of the shocks but I am very unhappy with the springs. They are not near stiff enough. If I push the rear of my pede down it barely comes back up at all. I have two of the biggest spacers in the rear and one big spacer in the front and it still isn't very good. Does anyone know if there is a stiffer spring I can put on there. I've read of some people using emaxx springs. I'm assuming since the emaxx is a heavier truck that they are stiffer? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
    1/16th e-revo vxl/ Stampede vxl

RC Qualifier
    Good question, I'd like to know as well. Anybody out there with suggestions?

RC Enthusiast
    I had the exact same problem. I changed the shock oil to 50wt, and now the back end sits nice and tall. I was even able to take the spacers out. I believe, and I'm sure someone more experienced will correct me, but you can change the disc inside the shock that allows the oil to pass from one end of the shock to the other and it will be even stiffer. The stock piece has two holes, and the spare parts that come with the shocks include a set that has one hole (stiffer than stock), and a set that has 3 holes (softer than stock).

RC Champion
    theres a number of things you can do to dial in those shocks, the included 30wt is a bit to light for bashing and id look at maybe 35-40 wt (i perfer losi shock oils but really thats one of those personal prefrence things) if you want stiff springs integy makes a really good set of basher springs that are way too stiff for racing (from experience) also, you should not be putting enough pre-load spacers on the shocks to alter the stiffness. thoe are mearly to fill in for a shorter spring and raise the ride height.

bdw botoming out in dirt and suck is ok, just not asphalt. those skids are there for a reason
    Vintage TRX collector|Florida Dirt Oval racer

RC Qualifier
    I use progressive spring sets... they allow for lots of travel for a "smoother ride" over rough sections but if you are jumping, doing hard turns or hitting huge bumps they will provide more resistance (stiffen) maintaining great performance.

my original set-up was Alum. Large Bore shocks (front and Back) I Use the 6.5lbs spring in the front (helps to dig into the turns) and the 12.5lbs in the rear to prevent sag and limit bottoming out on big jumps.

Since I added extenders and 40 series rear tires I am thinking about putting the 8.5 on the front because of the additional weight and limit the "bottoming out" on the front end when I hit a ramp or incline at high speeds. No need to alter back because of new larger paddle set-up they have (somehow) compensated for the weight distribution.

Link to my springs http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...18&p_catid=109

Image of New set-up and old set up

NEW 1

NEW 2

OLD 1

OLD 2

Hope this helps
    Just do it...they make replacement parts.VXL power

Heavier shock oil can improve certain things, but it won't make the shock spring back any more quickly, or any farther. If the shock has a lot of resistance and extends like it has a spring in it, it is too full.

If the back of the truck won't rebound properly, springs can be part of that, as well as resistance in the suspension. Make sure none of your pins are bent, and that everything is clean.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

We do now have in stock the different stiffness springs for the Slash 4x4, which can be used for tuning your suspension.

6863 Springs, front (progressive, +10% rate, pink) (2) ............ $5.00
    6864 Springs, front (progressive, +20% rate, blue) (2) ............ $5.00
    6862 Springs, front (progressive, -10% rate, green) (2) ........... $5.00
    6861 Springs, front (progressive, -20% rate, orange) (2) ......... $5.00
    6867 Springs, rear (progressive, +10% rate, pink) (2) ............. $6.50
    6868 Springs, rear (progressive, +20% rate, blue) (2) ............. $6.50
    6866 Springs, rear (progressive, -10% rate, green) (2)............ $6.50
    6865 Springs, rear (progressive, -20% rate, orange) (2) .......... $6.50

RC Racer
    I have the extended REM chassis as well, but have the 1" wheel extensions and have been have good luck with Losi 60wt oil all around and I use the Integy black shocks (don't know the part # just got 3 rear sets off of ebay) with the largest shock spacer on the big bores.

RC Racer
    I meant Integy black springs (not shocks).

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wheelman
    We do now have in stock the different stiffness springs for the Slash 4x4, which can be used for tuning your suspension.

Can you explain these rates please? Are these plus and minus from the red stock big bore springs or are they in relation to the stock slash 4x4 progressive rates?

Thanks!
    ERBE, Pede VXL, Rusty VXL

They are in comparison to the stock Slash 4x4 springs.

RC Competitor
    Losi 2" for the front springs and Losi 2.5/2.75" rear springs will work on the stock and big bore alike, from silly soft to stupid hard...
    MoD SLaSH - 10.5T - 2S - Hellbent LCG Chassis

I've read of some people using emaxx springs. I'm assuming since the emaxx is a heavier truck that they are stiffer? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
    You would be assuming incorectly the emaxx springs are softer than the stock pede springs, yes the emaxx is heavier but it also has 8 shocks and springs. And its ride is rather soft.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Champion
    I'm so new to this shock spring set up. I hate to ask but could someone explain how the rates go for the springs. I'm interested in switching out our springs in our pedes and possibly the slash 4x4. We could actually use the slash 4x4 springs in our pedes. Just not sure how to digest the rate etc. We are looking to mostly jump and run off road in grass and dirt!
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wheelman

Sorry if this sounds a little harsh,but that is one of the worst things I've ever seen for rating springs.Why is it that Traxxas has next to no info about spring rates and such?Don't get me wrong,I love my Traxxas vehicles,but it's such a headache when trying to fine tune a vehicle at the track when you don't know what springs you have vs. what the option springs are rated as. Usually,companies color code springs to make them more easy to identify.Unfortunately that's not what I've encountered with Traxxas.I went to my LHS and they have a ton of Traxxas springs,but unfortunately they are pretty much all white,red,or black and they vary from every end of the spectrum as far as rates,lengths,and diameters are concerned.

C'mon Traxxas! How about some organization on the option springs!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Agree, some specifications, something to work with would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey
    Agree, some specifications, something to work with would be nice.
    I hope the guys at Traxxas don't take my post the wrong way.It's just that it can be a real hassle to figure out what springs to use without proper doumentation.

I just recently had a very hard time finding the correct set of front springs for one of my vintage projects.Ended up waiting for months and a set of originals showed up on ebay. I just think that there were other options readily available,just had no way of knowing which ones.