RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar

Hard case LiPo 4x4 PE Racing, which hard case to get?

So I am on the hunt for a new pair of batteries. My Thunderpower 25c 3300 mAh batts just aren't doing it for me. I only get about 15 mins of hard racing. I need a hard case LiPo, no more than 5400 mAh, light, and a good C rating, all for racing. I've been looking into Hyperion's but they don't seem to have a big variety on their hard case LiPo's. Then I look in SMC, out of stock. SPC, I want a higher C rating than 20 for racing. *********x or *******, I want the best I can possibly get for the money and don't want to have to wait forever for them. I basically want to spend the money on the best batteries I can find so they will last me. So, what are the best Hard cases for my situation. Oh and they must fit in the Slash 4x4 compartment. I am a bit torn here, hopefully some of you can help me make the decision easier. Thank you!
    Last edited by Grand National; 05-05-2010 at 09:25 PM.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand National
    So I am on the hunt for a new pair of batteries. My Thunderpower 25c 3300 mAh batts just aren't doing it for me. I only get about 15 mins of hard racing. I need a hard case LiPo, no more than 5400 mAh, light, and a good C rating, all for racing. I've been looking into Hyperion's but they don't seem to have a big variety on their hard case LiPo's. Then I look in SMC, out of stock. SPC, I want a higher C rating than 20 for racing. *********x or *******, I want the best I can possibly get for the money and don't want to have to wait forever for them. I basically want to spend the money on the best batteries I can find so they will last me. So, what are the best Hard cases for my situation. Oh and they must fit in the Slash 4x4 compartment. I am a bit torn here, hopefully some of you can help me make the decision easier. Thank you!
    I have a hard case Venom that my wife picked up for me from my LHS. It is a good battery. Don't really notice a difference between it and my other LiPOs. So I guess that is a good thing.
    It is a 2s 30/60C 5Ah battery in a green case.

RC Qualifier
    You didn't mention if you wanted 2s or 3s. But since you're talking about racing, I'm assuming you're looking for a 2s pack. I've got an IP-Battery Lipo it's a 5600mAh 50c 2s hardcase that I love. It has tons of punch, hold a charge well and lasts nice and long. I got it at Hobby People. It wasn't cheap, but I'm very happy with it. I've also got 2 Reedy 5000mAh 35c 2s batteries and they do quite well also.
    Slash 4x4 PE - MMM 2650, Losi 8ight 2.0 Shocks

Your right! I meant 2s. I know about Reedy and love that their packs are ROAR approved. I need a MAX of 5400 mAh, my track will not allow more. Could you please provide links to your suggestions as well? Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Take a look @ Maxamps.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
    You didn't mention if you wanted 2s or 3s. But since you're talking about racing, I'm assuming you're looking for a 2s pack. I've got an IP-Battery Lipo it's a 5600mAh 50c 2s hardcase that I love. It has tons of punch, hold a charge well and lasts nice and long. I got it at Hobby People. It wasn't cheap, but I'm very happy with it. I've also got 2 Reedy 5000mAh 35c 2s batteries and they do quite well also.
    This is the battery pack brand you are talking about? I love the C rating + mAh. Thats 200 continuous amps! Will check them out. How long have you had yours, and any complaints?

Also it gives me a reason to break out my Hakko to solder plugs on it . Also, for that price, how could you go wrong?
    Last edited by Grand National; 05-05-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Substance
    Take a look @ Maxamps.
    I did, I really like their packs, it's just I cannot rip out 2x the cost for a battery. It may be an option due to the longevity to the packs with the warranty, and I have checked them out. Just the price is holding me back. Still a very good route to go in my opinion. Normally I am all SPC but I need a high C rating when I am limited to 5400 mAh.

RC Qualifier
    I agree, that is why I have not taken the jump. However, I have a thunderpower 40c on the way and I am waiting for my ******* 40c's to get here. I may order up a Maxamps and put the 3 of them to the test and record my results for all to see.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

That would be a good competition.
    All in all, the Thunderpower's are great, it's just the low mAh. They are very light! Thunderpower is quite expensive as well so I probably don't want to go that way either.

Edit: I think I just found my choice of medicine.

Click Here
    Cheap, ROAR approved, known company, high c rating. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Grand National; 05-05-2010 at 10:09 PM.

RC Champion
    Check out the LiPo shootout if you haven't read it yet :

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/li-po-battery-shootout-2/

That is part 2, part 1 is on the left of the page from last year.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Venom have some out that are comparable to link you have posted above as well.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

Thanks BMT, I have read those, but it seems like it was more a basher type deal, I don't know maybe I am wrong. To be honest, I have never seen anyone race a Venom pack, I'd rather take my chances on a more suited pack for racing. Jeez, I am so up in the air with this. I don't even know what I want lol! If someone can please give me more links and any feedback on that IP battery would be awesome.

Another downfall to the Venom pack, it does not have a high C rating. When your limited to a certain mAh and want to get the most of your truck, you are going to want a higher C rating to make up for the lost mAh. So I think I have seen a 25c Venom, but I am looking at a 50c IP battery. With the IP battery I can be putting out 250 continuous amps!

RC Qualifier
    With the IP battery I can be putting out 250 continuous amps!
    How many amps will your esc pull? Are you wasting money on amps you'll never use?

RC Qualifier

Another downfall to the Venom pack, it does not have a high C rating. When your limited to a certain mAh and want to get the most of your truck, you are going to want a higher C rating to make up for the lost mAh. So I think I have seen a 25c Venom, but I am looking at a 50c IP battery. With the IP battery I can be putting out 250 continuous amps!
    Both my new Venom 5600mah 2s LiPo's are 50c. I bought them strictly for racing at tracks that won't let me use my 3s batteries. They're hard case, ROAR approved, and so far have been working awesome. My LHS also has them in 5000mah flavor.
    Turbo in the front, groceries in the back.

RC Qualifier
    This is the battery pack brand you are talking about? I love the C rating + mAh. Thats 200 continuous amps! Will check them out. How long have you had yours, and any complaints?

Also it gives me a reason to break out my Hakko to solder plugs on it . Also, for that price, how could you go wrong?
    Yep that's the brand. I've got two of their batteries. the first one is a 2s 50c 5600mAh pack and the other pack is a 4s 35c 5400mAh pack. Both hardcase ROAR approved. Both of them have the same wrapping and came in the same box as the one below. I've been VERY happy with them. I have Deans plugs on all of my packs, so I had to solder some on, no big deal though. The ONLY issue I had was with either pack is that the 4 cell pack is SO HUGE that it takes up my entire battery tray and it's a VERY snug fit that doesn't allow the use of the normal battery strap, so I have to use velcro when I run that pack. But the 2s pack is just like any other one that I've run as far as dimensions go. No problems and great run time with full punch from the time I connect them until the LVC cuts in. I definitely give them a thumbs up.

Last edited by ScottKelly911; 05-06-2010 at 05:13 AM.
    Slash 4x4 PE - MMM 2650, Losi 8ight 2.0 Shocks

RC Racer
    I really don't understand the hype over hard case batteries. I've been using the following in both my 4x4 and 2x2 and trust me no one has more crashes roll overs or wrecks than me! Never a problem great price and working great

http://www.specpointbatteries.com/in...p?productID=59

RC Qualifier
    it is no hype..

but If you wanne race ROAR legal you have to have hardcase.

so it is hardcase or stay home, there is nothing hype about that
    slash 4x4 VXL, Novak HV4.5, MMP

RC Racer
    I run ******* 5200mah 2S 30C packs with out an issue. I always have plenty of power to run my 2-3 min warm up and the 5-10 min Qualifiers / mains. I think just general running i am getting 20-22 mins out of the pack.. And i double the packs up for running in my 1/8th scale Ebuggy.

RC Competitor
    That would be a good competition.
    All in all, the Thunderpower's are great, it's just the low mAh. They are very light! Thunderpower is quite expensive as well so I probably don't want to go that way either.

Edit: I think I just found my choice of medicine.

Click Here
    Cheap, ROAR approved, known company, high c rating. What do you guys think?
    The only problem I see with this pack is the wires coming off the side of the pack.You would have to "notch" the battery tray in your Slash 4x4.

I Have 2 of the Orion 4000mah 25c Rocketpacks that are on page 3 of the batterieson the rc-mushroom link. The only difference is mine have Deans plugs "factory installed" instead of the Tamiya plugs. I really like these packs and for $45 they are hard to beat. 25c seems to be plenty for the Slash 4x4 and 4000mah would give you around 20% more runtime.

Later,

Mark

RC Racer
    How about these
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ROAR-Approved

I have been thinking about getting a couple myself

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 951prerun
    How about these
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ROAR-Approved

I have been thinking about getting a couple myself
    those are the exact same lipo's as these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    only different sticker/brand but it comes most likely from the same factory.

your link = 110 dollar
    my link = 88 dollar
    slash 4x4 VXL, Novak HV4.5, MMP

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Comish
    I really don't understand the hype over hard case batteries. I've been using the following in both my 4x4 and 2x2 and trust me no one has more crashes roll overs or wrecks than me! Never a problem great price and working great

http://www.specpointbatteries.com/in...p?productID=59
    Might wanna try reading the OP's comments in the thread. He states several times that he wants a higher C rating, and he also states that he has looked at SPC and wants a higher C rating that they offer.
    Paul Valenti

Slash 4X4 #25 (Mark Jenkins)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pvalenti
    Might wanna try reading the OP's comments in the thread. He states several times that he wants a higher C rating, and he also states that he has looked at SPC and wants a higher C rating that they offer.
    If the OP wants a higher c-rating that is his perogative.

A month or so ago I asked what the optimum c-rating was for a Slash 4x4 and I was told a 20c-25c was really good(now that is for a stock Velenion setup) and on a dirt track with medium traction the higher c-rating/"punch" is kind of a waste.

If the OP is going to run a Mamba or some other combo (more powerfull than stock) or a high traction surface the higher c-rating would be benificial.

IMO---Higher c-rating=more money. The best money spent is on more capacity versus more punch.

Grand National---Hopefully you have enough info to make the right choice for your hobby needs/wants.

Later,

Mark

RC Champion
    The hobby king one I'm getting meets your demands, (i think...) but i can't post it because it gets scensored.
    Google search for 30c hardcase car lipo pack 2s, first result.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

Quote Originally Posted by MDB

A month or so ago I asked what the optimum c-rating was for a Slash 4x4 and I was told a 20c-25c was really good(now that is for a stock Velenion setup) and on a dirt track with medium traction the higher c-rating/"punch" is kind of a waste.

If the OP is going to run a Mamba or some other combo (more powerfull than stock) or a high traction surface the higher c-rating would be benificial.

IMO---Higher c-rating=more money. The best money spent is on more capacity versus more punch.
    Well see the thing is I am limited to 5400 mAh in order to race at my track. I am running the stock VXL system. I totally forgot that the ESC can handle 200 amps continuous. So, if I want a 5000 mAh battery, I need a maximum of 40c. More capacity is better in my opinion, but I am limited to 5400 which means I need a higher C rating to make up for the loss of the mAh. I am running it on concrete, which is what the Slash is designed for (as well as a few other surfaces) so I do get very good grip.

As a few of you mentioned, I can only use hard case in a ROAR based bracket. Soft packs, in any circumstance, cannot be raced in ROAR rules.

I did not know Venom made that high of a C rating. I wasn't bashing them about their packs it's just I didn't think they made high C rating packs but I haven't really researched them all that well. I will be checking them out though, seem to be a good choice for racing.

I am pretty sure I am going to get a few batteries to test them out. I probably will be purchasing the new SPC LiPo with a higher C rating than normal (did not know they were making them until today). I am pretty excited to see how it performs, I am sure it will be just like the rest of my SPC packs.

You all have been very very helpful, thank you very much. I am still on the hunt though, because like I said I will probably be purchasing a few to try. So if anyone wants to throw down some links of what they run that would be awesome. Remember to include some description of it if you can. Going to the track on Saturday hopefully. I sure do hope these ole' 3300 mAh batteries can hold me through a few heats.

EDIT: Wooohooo! Just called my LHS, they dropped the mAh limitation for Slash 4x4's! 8000 mAh time! I think this may have ended my search, SPC here I come!

Any other options though, would be greatly appreciated! Still, please post up your opinions on some packs.
    Last edited by Grand National; 05-06-2010 at 06:45 PM.

RC Competitor
    Glad you found something that works for your needs/wants. Just double check the pack specs before you order/buy.(the only spc 8000mah pack I saw wasn't hardcased)

Later,

Mark

RC Competitor

YOU !... might wanna` also state that the OP has a limit of 5400mah

RC Qualifier
    I had a nice reply all typed out...but honestly...it's just not worth it. (speaking towards peewee...not the OP or anyone else in this thread)
    Paul Valenti

RC Qualifier
    I had a nice reply all typed out...but honestly...it's just not worth it. (speaking towards peewee...not the OP or anyone else in this thread)
    This happens to me all the time.
    4x4 PE & Beyond...

RC Competitor

I had a really good reply all typed out... but honestly... I just gave you "my good mood" version. I didn't want to get any warning % points from the mod's. Have a nice day.

Placed first with my Thunderpower LiPos today, first time racing the Slash .

RC Champion
    $30 ******* on the track did better than the top dog maxamps on my truck. I have dominated every series, so I kinda know whats going on with the truck. You dont need anything over 20c, unless you are pulling over 100amps constant, which you indeed are not. I frequently run my 8th scale beast in 20 minute mains on a 12c pack, it never even warms up. Stop reading all the hype and start reading up on electrical engineering. These batteries are all made the same place, same material, same process...do the math.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by outkast187
    These batteries are all made the same place, same material, same process...do the math.
    That is often repeated internet myth that is not true!!!
    Last edited by Jakey; 05-09-2010 at 09:03 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Not to call anyone out or anything...but I distinctly recall reading that Slaydaddy himself (in the setup thread) said that he can tell the difference between a 20C and 35C (or bigger) battery in the Slash 4x4. Also the guy who owns my LHS has said that he too can tell the difference and it is considerable.

Again...not trying to bash anyone here...but just like I'm an unknown entity to YOU all...YOU too are an unknown to me. I'll take the word of the people that I know for a FACT know what they are talking about. So I'll be staying away from the 20C (and 25C) batteries and heading for the 35C (or bigger) ones from now on.

Along these same lines of thought...just thought that I'd mention that my BLUE LIPO batteries that I bought from Hobby Partz BOTH went bad within a week of each other! Now I am COMPLETELY without a battery (except for a 6 cell niMh I've got from my drift car). So PLEASE don't buy Blue Lipo's from Hobby Partz.com!
    Paul Valenti

RC Competitor
    I have 2- 5400mah Checkpoint Lipos (16c) and 1 Orion Platinum 4800mah Lipo (?c). They are balanced and take full charges up to 8.10 volts, yet they go right into Low voltage cut off mode as soon as i pin the throttle. I spoke with Traxxas and they say that the C rating on the batteries needs to be 20c or above. Any thoughts on this?
    "Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet"

RC Champion
    Your charger should charge them to 8.4v (4.2v / cell)

How old are the packs ?

What capacity do they take from empty ?

Not sure why Traxxas would say that but no reason not to trust them

Stock motor with stock gearing only pulls 80 amps or so

I would have thought as long as your packs can provide this you should be ok

Maybe the issue is the design of the low voltage detection circuit

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    SCT MMP / 2400kv

RC Competitor
    I will look into making sure they are at 8.4. Pack are a little old but still run long and hard in my Stock 2wd Slash. Looking into ******* lipos now.
    "Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet"