RC Enthusiast

Tekin RX8 2250kv or mamba max 2200kv

I am going to order one of these for my summit. I know the mamba max will fit. Will the tekin motor bolt up? I would like to see what people are saying about both. Money is not a concern. If you have one of these in your summit. Please let me know how you like it? Thanks

Go tekin, I just added a tekin to my summit, and I have the mmm in my Erevo. I cant tell which one is the fastest (they both are powerful) but the Tekin has no low end (read : slow driving) stutterring like the MMM. Nice and smooth and also quieter than the MMM. On the other hand the MMM is easier to waterproof.

And I am not going to even touch the reliability issue.
    Last edited by noir 522; 05-08-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Racer
    Yes motor bolts in directly , but ESC/motor soldering required
    The Tekin actually behaves like it was brushed as far as smoothnes IMO
    Stock Summit minus Tekin/2.4Ghz

RC Qualifier
    I don't have a Tekin (yet), but from what my research has told me, the Tekin isn't quite as easy to program as the MMM, and it also lacks an auto-LiPo cell detect (you have to set it's cutoff manually any time you change cell configuration).

The Tekin's big asset is it's sensor. Though the MMM also crawls very well (in Low gear at least), it can be noisy. However it seems to have little impact on it's performance. The Tekin is dead-quiet by comparison.

That said, I'm 100% happy with my MMM/2200, the noise doesn't really bother me. Both seem to be great systems with little difference in top-end power.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sfr4x4
    I don't have a Tekin (yet), but from what my research has told me, the Tekin isn't quite as easy to program as the MMM, and it also lacks an auto-LiPo cell detect (you have to set it's cutoff manually any time you change cell configuration).

The Tekin's big asset is it's sensor. Though the MMM also crawls very well (in Low gear at least), it can be noisy. However it seems to have little impact on it's performance. The Tekin is dead-quiet by comparison.

That said, I'm 100% happy with my MMM/2200, the noise doesn't really bother me. Both seem to be great systems with little difference in top-end power.

I don't know what Tekin you're referring to when you say isn't easy to program. You can program right on it very easily as long as your vision is good (text is small) and it does have Lipo cutoff up to 6S. I have the 2050 truggy motor in my Emaxx.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrochulo
    I don't know what Tekin you're referring to when you say isn't easy to program. You can program right on it very easily as long as your vision is good (text is small) and it does have Lipo cutoff up to 6S. I have the 2050 truggy motor in my Emaxx.

He didn't say it doesn't have lipo cutoff he said it doens't have Auto-LiPo cutoff. I emailed Tekin about this very issue and they stated they do not trust the auto-lipo detection and would rather have people set it up manually. I'm assuming that means they have no future plans of implementing it.
    xl-5 Stampede
    ERBE Tekin 6s
    ERBE MMM 4/6s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cultivate
    He didn't say it doesn't have lipo cutoff he said it doens't have Auto-LiPo cutoff. I emailed Tekin about this very issue and they stated they do not trust the auto-lipo detection and would rather have people set it up manually. I'm assuming that means they have no future plans of implementing it.
    Thanks

That's interesting to know about the auto-detect. I was hoping it might be implemented, but I guess not

RC Competitor
    Looking for a brushless combo for my summit. I found the MMM combo for $218 and Tekin RX8 combo for $270, both from Tower after coupon. I have read posts on the MMM reliability problems and is noisier. I hardly found any complaints with the Tekin. Is the Tekin that much better and more reliable? Is the Tekin worth the extra $52.

RC Qualifier
    It's worth it. I tried crawling w/ my summit and a sensorless motor and it was frustrating in comparison to a sensored system.

RC Qualifier
    IMO, I think it would be more of a decision based on how much you may be bothered by noise.

The MMM running on firmware v1.20 crawls very well and is very controllable. However the motor does make a *pbpbpbpb* sound at times.

The RX8 (like I mentioned in my post above) is much quieter aside from the hi-pitched whistle sound produced by the ESC's switching circuit. The RX8 should also have better ability to "park" the truck at a standstill on a steep incline as well (by using the throttle), although personally I can't really count that as a major virtue of it's performance... Even crawling requires that your car still be moving.

I've had my MMM for over a year now without any issues whatsoever. However I also have an external capacitor bank on it as well. I think this one simple addition would go miles in improving the reliability of ANY ESC, not just the MMM.

RC Enthusiast
    well here's my two cents lol. after much study and deliberation i've decided the tekin setup is much nicer for the summit for many reasons mostly the lack of low end stuttering but i've heard good things about the mmm too. I would say tekin all the way, at least that's what i'm doing. i'm installing a dewalt setup right now to get me by til i can drop the cash for the tekin and then i'll just use my dewalt setup for winter/snow driving. as far as my studying has taken me it sounds like the tekin is the best motor setup for the summit IMO
    nothin better than a Summit except an ERBE too:-)

RC Qualifier
    MMM. Period. Lol
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Qualifier
    In a Summit it would be the Tekin for sure. Even in any other vehicle it would be the Tekin if cost wasn't a huge issue. Anyone who says MMM hasn't driven a Tekin and realized how unbelievably smooth sensored is.

Tekin ESc are just silly easy to program...even without the hotwire.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan2010
    In a Summit it would be the Tekin for sure. Even in any other vehicle it would be the Tekin if cost wasn't a huge issue. Anyone who says MMM hasn't driven a Tekin and realized how unbelievably smooth sensored is.
    I have a handful of each including castle and hand built Neus and the Tekin really surprised me for both low and high speed. I find myself driving my Tekin more then my MMM rides because it's a smooth ride all around.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan2010
    I've driven the Tekin, and of course my original EVX2/775 brushed setup too. Never once have I tried to suggest the MMM is a match in smoothness.
    However the MMM is nothing near as "rough" as you guys make it out to be. Seems those of you saying otherwise haven't driven one with v1.20 coupled with the Summit's 2-speed transmission either.

And yes, Castle does have some work to do on fixing some bugs in their later firmware versions, which they've failed to do thru a few revisions now.

RC Champion

And yes, Castle does have some work to do on fixing some bugs in their later firmware versions, which they've failed to do thru a few revisions now.
    No disrespect intended but, from Castles point of view, why would they fix something that is not broken? The MMM is design to be a race/bash setup, Castle did not build it to go slow, and I don't imagine they have had any complaints from anyone other than Summit owners on this issue.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Competitor
    I've driven the Tekin, and of course my original EVX2/775 brushed setup too. Never once have I tried to suggest the MMM is a match in smoothness.
    However the MMM is nothing near as "rough" as you guys make it out to be. Seems those of you saying otherwise haven't driven one with v1.20 coupled with the Summit's 2-speed transmission either.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be doing a little crawling but mostly bashing. After seeing some youtube videos of MMM Summits crawling with firmware version 1.20, the MMM is a bit noisy but still a capable crawler. I'm seriously considering the MMM because of the cheaper price tag and since I'll be mostly bashing. I'll wait a little longer since the MMM is on sale at Tower until the end of June. Who knows, I still may end up buying a Tekin combo...
    Summit
    1/16 Summit VXL
    Vintage Tamiya

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    No disrespect intended but, from Castles point of view, why would they fix something that is not broken? The MMM is design to be a race/bash setup, Castle did not build it to go slow, and I don't imagine they have had any complaints from anyone other than Summit owners on this issue.
    None taken.
    Assuming you haven't seen some of the threads in the ERBE section... Others there have also had the same exact complaints about slow-speed performance and lack of smoothness that were resolved by reverting to the older firmware (even without the 2-speed). Some have even had their cars launch off their table unexpectedly while working on it (damaging things in their home or the car itself) because the throttle comes on so hard & suddenly. How is a throttle that jerks on suddenly when applied gently not an issue when it didn't use to do that before?
    Last edited by sfr4x4; 06-05-2010 at 05:51 PM.

RC Champion
    None taken.
    Assuming you haven't seen some of the threads in the ERBE section... Others there have also had the same exact complaints about slow-speed performance and lack of smoothness that were resolved by reverting to the older firmware (even without the 2-speed). Some have even had their cars launch off their table unexpectedly while working on it (damaging things in their home or the car itself) because the throttle comes on so hard & suddenly. How is a throttle that jerks on suddenly when applied gently not an issue when it didn't use to do that before?
    Many apologies, I do not follow the ERBE thread as I do not have one of those YET!!!

I am having a slight issue with my own experimental VXL 3000Kv Sensored Brushless Waterproof system, The VXL is absolutley cog free and smooth as butter, but it has a safety feature that is proving to be a bit of a pain ,

"Locked Rotor Protection™ prevents system damage by cutting power if the vehicle is stuck or the motor is bound." Traxxas.

When trying to climb or crawl very, very slowly it will intermittently release all forward pressure and go into neutral, at this point the throttle must be released and reapplied. Not a huge problem in low gear, but quite bad in high gear. To bad the VXL is not user programmable
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733