RC Racer

Question Emaxx set-up for racing...need help

I have started to race my 3905 at the local track. I am running against all Nitro Monsters. So far I have done good placing in the top 3 consistantly and even winning a few.

I am stock other than a set of Badlands on RPM widemaxx wheels. The track is a little on the small side, but I do OK in the tight section but there are 2 straight aways that the Nitro's kill me on. So I am thinking of I am going to go to Kershaws or brushless to pick up speed.

I see there is a center differential and spool lock available for the Emaxx, would one or both help out in racing?

"REVO DIFFERENTIAL SPOOL: This differential spool replaces the Revo differential gears. The spool locks the axle, providing equal power to both wheels. For straight-line sand drags, rock climbing, or pulling, you can replace both the front and rear differentials with spools for total 4WD traction. On tight off-road tracks, install a spool in the rear diff case to allow the rear end of the truck to rotate more easily and slide through the corners. Corrosion-resistant finish and tough steel construction ensures lasting durability."

How would this help on the track?
    Last edited by utah300run; 05-09-2010 at 09:30 AM.
    Emaxx,E-Revo,4x4 Slash,2-Blitz's,Firestorm,Mini T

RC Champion
    Here's the center differential for the 3903/5/8 E-Maxx models. This should be good as it'll help keep your front end on the ground more and help with cornering due to that.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVDU5&P=7

Maybe a better idea than spools would be to use some differential oil to minimize slippage but not completely remove it?
    E-Maxx 3905 - Rustler 3707 - Slash 5805

Quote Originally Posted by orion
    Here's the center differential for the 3903/5/8 E-Maxx models. This should be good as it'll help keep your front end on the ground more and help with cornering due to that.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVDU5&P=7

Maybe a better idea than spools would be to use some differential oil to minimize slippage but not completely remove it?

+1....i tried the spool and broke it inside of 3 packs. the traxxas 500K diff snot works just as well imo on the diff.
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

RC Qualifier
    Center diff will help on the track. Spool will hurt performance. Spools are only meant for crawling and not high speed. For racing I would suggest 30K weight diff oil up front and 10K out back. You will definitely need bl power to keep up with nitro's with Tekin being the best for racing

RC Racer
    I would love a Tekin or Mamba Monster brushless, but they are not in the budget.

I have talked with Dan at Kershaw and I am getting a Xerun brushless system thru him. I have a hobbywing brushless in another truck and it has taken a beating and is still going. I know they are far from a Mamba or Tekin but I am not at a skill level that really justifies that yet.

I think I am gonna go for the center diff and brushless and see how I do. The nitro guys are already a little sore the old stock Emaxx won a few times
    The other electric guys are really rubbing salt in the wound too

Thanks for all the replies.

RC Racer
    Diff installed!..........waitin' on the brushless

RC Qualifier
    which xerun/motor combo did you go with? i have been considering one as a future upgrade, so please report back with your impressions...

RC Racer
    I talked with Dan @ Kershaw Designs and got it thru him......I liked how great Dan was to communicate with, that means alot.

I went with the 80A ESC....mainly due to budget and I dont plan on running more than 4s anyway. I picked the 7XL motor, on his recommendation for my set-up.

It looks like it may have shipped today, so I hope to have it going this weekend.

RC Racer

Brushless Installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the motor and esc today!!!!(thanks Dan)

ESC came with a aluminum mounting plate that lined up perfectly to the mounts on my 3905 chassis...extra bonus... no mods needed

Motor mounted right up to the stock plate...used some tape to seal up the holes for second motor....may pick up a single motor plate later....motor came with an aluminum heatsink & cooling fan

13T Pinion that Dan recommeded is beefy to say the least if I break that sucker I am in trouble!

Over all an exact bolt in replacement.....re-programmed the ESC throttle as per instruction which were very clear.. and outside I went

Test drove on ******* 2s 5200mah 30c batteries...it was late and dark so just a quick run......WOW not dissapointed at all good

Hopefully I can get to the track Sat. and really give it a test run

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Dan is also a member here. I forgot his username but I got a few pm's from him asking some questions about stuff.

Anyway, aside form what you, practice goes a long way.
    Brushless Emaxx
    Brushless Kyosho ST RR
    Supermaxx