RC Enthusiast

Springs for Summit

What would you recomend for rear springs to stiffen up the rear so it dosen't squat so much under full power ??? It says it comes with the yellow (2.6 rate) pt # 5435 and you can buy different springs up to the purple (6.4 rate)pt # 5445
    Thanks,
    Cliff

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff V
    What would you recomend for rear springs to stiffen up the rear so it dosen't squat so much under full power ??? It says it comes with the yellow (2.6 rate) pt # 5435 and you can buy different springs up to the purple (6.4 rate)pt # 5445
    Thanks,
    Cliff
    First things first. You're mistaken about the stock rear springs. The spring you mention is the single yellow stripe spring, but that's not the one that comes on the truck. The stock rear spring in the Summit is the double yellow stripe spring - part #5648 with a 4.9 rate.

As you pointed out, the purple spring is the stiffest. I'm not positive, but there may be an issue with the length of some of the springs - I don't think they're all the same, although any of them will work. It's just a matter of adjusting the preload ring on the shocks.

Out of the box, the truck has stiffer springs in the front than the rear. In my opinion, I'd recommend getting another set of stock front springs, and installing them on the rear. This is what I did, and I like the results a lot. The rear end squat is reduced quite a bit, while still being soft enough for crawling, and obviously the length is the same.

The stock front spring has the double orange stripe, 5.4 rate, and is part #5649. I'd go with those.
    ◄▲▼► SUMMIT ●○●○● 2 RUSTLER VXL's ●○●○● MERV ◄▲▼►

RC Racer
    You can swap the front springs to the rear, and put the rears on the front, your can buy a set of front springs, (5649) and put them in the rear. This will make a huge difference by almost eliminating the squat.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the input. I will order a set of the 5649 springs. Got a couple more questions,

What do you use for oiling the electric motor bushings ?? I was going to buy some of that spray elec motor cleaner and want to oil it after this. I don't see that Tower Hobby offers any oil for elec motors.

Are there any parts, screws, or fastners that I should buy to have on hand for breakage or general maint. of the truck ??

RC Champion
    This is worth noting for anyone looking to get a set of front springs (part #5649) for the rear:

About 2 weeks ago, I bought my set of springs online. When they arrived, there was a discrepancy in the labeling of the packaging. The springs I received had the orange markings, and the packaging showed the correct part number, but stated that the springs were a 4.9 rate. They are supposed to be 5.4. I called Traxxas for an explanation, and I was told that the packaging was simply mislabeled. It seems that (for at least this particular batch) there was simply a misprint on the label.
    Again, they were the correct springs, with correct color coded marking, and the correct part number, but listed with the wrong spring rate.

I just thought I would make that known, in case anyone else orders these springs and notices the same problem. Trust me, just put them on and you'll see that they are the stiffer springs.

^ I posted this here back in January. I don't know if Traxxas ever resolved this, but I figured I'd mention it just in case....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff V
    Thanks for the input. I will order a set of the 5649 springs. Got a couple more questions,

What do you use for oiling the electric motor bushings ?? I was going to buy some of that spray elec motor cleaner and want to oil it after this. I don't see that Tower Hobby offers any oil for elec motors.

Are there any parts, screws, or fastners that I should buy to have on hand for breakage or general maint. of the truck ??
    3 in 1 has been working well for my summit. As for parts, just wait until they break, nothing you really need to have on hand. I have not broken any part yet, and it's seen some wild flips and bad crashes, this thing is built like a tank.

As Jay313 stated yes the springs are mis labeled same for mine.Squt reduced a fair bit but not at the expence of flex.I'm waiting for rpm's bumper mounts to be released I hope they make a million of them cause everyone on here will buy them.The stock ones don't seem to flex much just snap.If you need bumpers just ask here.I'm sure someone has a extra
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann
    I'm waiting for rpm's bumper mounts to be released
    May 24th, baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    May 24th, baby!
    Can you pre order them anywhere?
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Got mine on preorder from local hobby shop, as well as the roof lights.

RC Champion
    At Tower, it appears you can order them as you would a back ordered item. Not totally positive though, since I've never ordered from them before aand I'm not sure how they have things set up. It looks like they're in the process of updating their pages though. Plugging in the part number for the front mount (#80932), it's got the right title but the wrong part. CLICK

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay 313
    This is worth noting for anyone looking to get a set of front springs (part #5649) for the rear:

About 2 weeks ago, I bought my set of springs online. When they arrived, there was a discrepancy in the labeling of the packaging. The springs I received had the orange markings, and the packaging showed the correct part number, but stated that the springs were a 4.9 rate. They are supposed to be 5.4. I called Traxxas for an explanation, and I was told that the packaging was simply mislabeled. It seems that (for at least this particular batch) there was simply a misprint on the label.
    Again, they were the correct springs, with correct color coded marking, and the correct part number, but listed with the wrong spring rate.

I just thought I would make that known, in case anyone else orders these springs and notices the same problem. Trust me, just put them on and you'll see that they are the stiffer springs.

^ I posted this here back in January. I don't know if Traxxas ever resolved this, but I figured I'd mention it just in case....
    I had the same problem lol

RC Qualifier
    I put the black springs on the back. Still squats but comes back up after the initial take off. Before it would squat the whole time the truck was going

RC Enthusiast
    Hello there .. old thread revival ..

New Summit 1/10 owner here ..

I've been messing with springs options but found that there are not many on the stock length, actually none other than stock that I would be able to find now.

Stock are little less than 2" long and all the traxxas options are little less than 1 5/8 long ..

At the moment I'm using purple and blue ( front and rear respectively ) but had to add great preload on the sock adjusters to make it for the stock spring length.

So the question is ..

Are other stock length options out there .? close to 2" in length .? with stiffer ( greater ) spring rate .?

I've been reading that stock shock oil it's 40 weight ..

What I'm looking for ( should have been starter right here ) it's avoiding the summit to bottoming out ( skid plates to the ground ) after a jump .. making more progressive the suspension travel ..

So far I didn't search for bump stops ( will do ) but my thought were in the stiffer - progressive springs with more heay oil on the shocks .. or maybe better than stock shocks ..

there is a great deal of shocks offer out there .. not sure if they worth it ..

thanks and sorry for the long first post ..

David

RC Qualifier
    I would try heavier shock oil before giving up. Maybe 50w front and 60w rear.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    I would try heavier shock oil before giving up. Maybe 50w front and 60w rear.
    Is there any specific " brand " of oil to .?

RC Enthusiast
    This is great info, luv it!

Need to link to this topic:
    https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...-a-used-Summit
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...

RC Enthusiast
    Also, for anyone that has experimented with springs, how stiff of a spring can one go to before affecting crawling?

What else would one recommend for adjustments, mods or upgrades? Where can one get most the bang for the buck (suggested order?)
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...