Thread: ESC Meltdown!!!

RC poster

ESC Meltdown!!!

Just got into RC a few months ago. Went straight to a Slash 4x4 and love it. Except me and my brother-in-law bought them and spend every weekend trying something new on them. Well he just got in his ********* 5000mah 3S 11.1V Lipo's and of course charged them and ran them as soon as we could. My truck started smokin after about 1 minute and we saw it was the ESC. We had a spare one so we put it in and then the same thing. His is still perfectly fine and I am out two ESC's. We enabled the Low Voltage like we were supposed to and everything. Can anybody give me some help as to why this happened and tell me what is a suitable replacement so I can get back to racing? Thanks.

RC Racer
    Really should not have happened, I have been running 3S 5000 40C packs through my kit often..

Just jump to support send them an email saying what happened register both the ESC's on the site and they will take care of you.. I had my ESC crap out no smoke just stopped working and within 2 weeks i had a replacement sent to me.

RC Champion
    Any obvious melted part that a pic would help show the problem ?

What were you running just before you tried the new battery ?

I'd say TRX will replace both for free, make sure you explain that the same battery works fine in the other one, that pretty much proves it's the ESC , not the battery.

If you want to upgrade consider the Havoc/Ballistic 550 system, but that is 2s, or get the Mamba/ and 550 from Novak - a popular upgrade.

Were the 2 smoked ESC's the same age ? Sounds like a bad batch ...
    3905 E-MAXX

RC poster
    Yeah they were both the same age and bought the same day. We bought 3 trucks total. One for each of us and to be honest a spare for parts in case something went wrong. He is still zooming on while my truck sits broken. I was going to replace the ESC with the same but after burning two I am just timid. Was considering aftermarket upgrade but am to new to know what is better and what will work. I do like the Mamba thought though. Will look into those for sure.

RC Champion
    Send the ESC in for replacement... that is the first choice.... IMHO
    3905 E-MAXX

RC poster
    Called Traxxas and they said to send it in with $20 and they would send me a new one. Now thats service. Traxxas is definately customer friendly and willing to keep people in the hobby and their line. Thanks guys for all your help and answers.

RC Qualifier
    I would send BOTH ESC's in for replacement and then SELL them both on eBay. Take the money you make and put it toward a Mamba Max Pro ESC and be DONE with it!

HOWEVER, since you smoked 2 ESC's in a row...I would be VERY meticulous about going over the whole truck with an emphasis on the ROLLING suspension. Make certain that nothing is binding. Just a thought.
    Paul Valenti

Slash 4X4 #25 (Mark Jenkins)

RC Racer
    Wouldnt this fit. its for rustler but I think its the same size or even same esc.

TRAXXAS 3340 VELINEON VXL ESC COOLING FAN
    Last edited by wallofchaos; 05-13-2010 at 02:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by wallofchaos
    Wouldnt this fit. its for rustler but I think its the same size or even same esc.

TRAXXAS 3340 VELINEON VXL ESC COOLING FAN

Yes it will fit. You should have an open connector along the side of th Traxxas ESC to plug this fan in.
    FangsCPO
    "How fast was I going Officer?" Wow?