RC Champion

Wanted : Sales pitch on a mini...

OK, forgive me for not reading up too much on the Mini's ... I spend my time in the Emaxx and Slash 4x4 forums.

At first I thought they were kind of silly, but now I am starting to like the idea of a small, less expensive RC, that I would be more likely to keep in a box in my car, and bust it out whenever the urge strikes.

Lugging a Nitro, or the Big Emaxx, charging up multiple dual jumbo batts, etc., just seems like a bit of a hassle, compared to what I envision with one of these mini's.

So I'm asking for a sales pitch from you guys, if you would be so kind ! I have never driven a mini, or even seen one driven. I'm used to seeing an Emaxx, and a Losi XXX-T.

So please post your opinions on buying one.. I was looking at the MERV, but I see Tower has a Slash 1/16 for $20 off,

Traxxas 1/16 Slash w/Brushed Motor RTR
    Save $20.00
    Now $179.97

I'm liking the price (as compared to getting into Brushless Emaxx etc.).

Is the brushed version reasonably fun ? Or should I go for the high speeds of the Brushless one, and dual lipo. ?
    How is the reliability of these little guys ? Do they need the usual upgrades like 1/10 scale ?
    I want my Emaxx for heavy off roading,
    I could try to get my stadium truck to get upwards of 50, for the speed fix
    I could use the little guy for more frequent running, in parking lots, around the apt complex, along the beach on the hard packed causeway, etc.
    OR I could get the BL mini, and get my speed fix that way, and have 4x4, which seems like a much better idea than 2WD at 50mph !

Do you guys notice you run the mini more often than your bigger cars?

Why did Traxxas have to make yet another dual battery vehicle? !! Be nice to just slap the appropriate single lipo in, like the Slash 4x4.

So again, the biggest appeal is low price $179.97 from Tower with $20 off, before any other discounts..
    Would mean I would have the full range .. mini, 1/10 ST, Monster Truck.

Could bling it out, for much cheaper than the larger vehicles, and be my one aluminum rig.

P.S. Might be interested in a trade, click on my profile to see details.
    Last edited by BT_EMT; 05-13-2010 at 06:48 PM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Champion
    Firstly if you do decide to go for a MERV Do not go for all aluminium - it WILL bend/break

Sales Pitch:
    not going to do one, you've decided already. I like mine you'll like yours - ALOT

get a mini e revo rather than a slash, you'll only end up converting the slash to a revo anyway

I would say definately go brushless, 2.4 radio if you can streach to it
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC poster
    I second that get the MERV the MSV is fun but doesn't handle well at speed and can't handle much as of surfaces I am currently converting my MSV over in the next week or two.

Sales pitch I don't know where to start for one.
    Bandit Mamba 6900
    1/16 Slash VXL

RC Champion
    Thanks but I have not decided yet at all ! I kinda thought there was a "mini" crowd and then there is the 1/10 1/8 crowd that exist in separate realms of the universe.

Yes I do like the MERV for off roading better at least from a tire standpoint. But then again, I foresee this running on pavement, and smooth baseball diamond type terrain more than anything.

P.S. I do NOT plan on jumping it, so if that alters anyone's advice....
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    I have a emaxx, and a slash 4x4... i got my wife a merv. i think i use it as much as my stuff... its a little harder to control at speed, but its wicked fun, and gets around pretty good for such a little thing.

definitely go for brushless. im running hers on parallel 1200mah nimhs and it runs for 30 mins or so, and has tons of power (wheelies, 40ish mph), and is a complete blast. I tried the series connector, and overall I enjoy parallel more, it lasts longer, is still very torquey/fast but isnt uncontrollable.
    E-Revo - fried MMM
    Wife rides
    MERV
    Losi 1/36th

RC Champion
    Thanks carrmann,
    that's kind of the sales pitch I was looking for.... that you find yourself using the mini as much as the big boys.

Ooh I like this, a bag that acts like a garage !

http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...?pc=1&id=12213

Last edited by BT_EMT; 05-13-2010 at 07:17 PM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Champion
    Ok, will go for sales pitch then:

FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN

STRONG STRONG STRONG

VERY FAST

They are NOT cheap, you'll soon find out that this little truck is VERY CAPABLE and can handle even more mods, before you know it you'll have doubled the cost

Out of all the RC. Cars I have driven the merv is the most fun I have had, there's something about the way it just digs in and gets on with it. Like you said very convenient to just go out bashing

This is the only RC I have (apart from a micro t) because I can only afford one at a time, I chose the best for me after testing many others. Everyone who I have let drive this or even see it has initially said "why did you get such a small one?" instantly followed by OMG that's fast, how much was it, wher can I get one

the choice is yours but MOST people who have a merv have other rc's but, from what I've heard, use the merv more often ;0)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if i could do it again, i would get a 1/10 brushless e-revo

but i do love my mini

RC Champion
    Thanks guys ! I don't see any fans of Slash yet... guess MERV is the way to go. I gather the MERV does everything better with the much wider tires then eh ?

Oh I see a deal breaker here... the MERV comes with the new LINK radio system, that rules out the discounted Slash above. I want the single radio TX, then I can upgrade the Emaxx to the LINK Rx.
    Last edited by BT_EMT; 05-13-2010 at 08:22 PM.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC poster
    i just got the merv 2 weeks ago as of today and i love it. i have a 10th scale onroad that i race so i really dont bring that out unless its for the track.

i also have a truggy and monster truck but i tend to lean towards this little guy the most when i want to drive. its quick and durable and very fast for me. i did run it against my onroad car that has a tekin rs esc with a 17.5 and it stays next to it the whole time.

since you are like me in wanting the conveinance of having such a small car to play with when you want and not lug all the big stuff around this is the way to go.

RC Champion
    yea just checkin out the minis...I just got the summit havent even opened it yet and I got a losi 1/18 crawler....Watch Ill end up using the crawler the most....I also just bought a micro walkera heli...its awsome even has a 3 axis gyro sorta like an auto pilot..

RC Competitor
    I love my slash! I am competing with 3 Merv's too. We have a fairly flat dirt track and i can almost keep up with them. In turns (if it's smooth like a baseball diamond) i can cut the back end loose, really get on it and normaly come out of the turns ahead but as soon as i hit the slightest bump #$%^ i am on my lid. So i am going to be converting my slash to a Merv here real soon.

RC Qualifier
    first I'd like to point out that the merv isn't a "dual battery vehicle" it runs fine on 1 nihm and you can't run 2 lipo unless it's in parallel. It doesn't need that either since 1 1500 mah 3s lipo lasts about 30 mins.

I love the merv BUT it's been a money pit all the hop ups to get it where I want it. You can run it stock though but it's addictive upgrading stuff. Oddly I have a summit and like it stock other then the motor.

if your getting it I recommend brushless.

order a set of rpm a-arms while your ordering it.
    Last edited by aikin; 05-14-2010 at 07:05 AM.

RC Competitor
    + 1 on the RPM arms, and look at a t-bone brace or bumpers while your at it. Cheap insurance for the chassis! Bite the bullet and get the brushless with the 2.4 gig transmitter/receiver, saves you from getting bored and paying big bucks for that mod later.
    E Revo Brushless!

RC Enthusiast
    I say get the cheap one and also buy the mamba max pro combo esc and engine and sell the stock one, you will never have any problems.. go much faster, for a lot longer, and never have to worry about overheating..

RC Champion
    I would say get the merv I have that along with a rusty and a 1/8 truggy (so I run the gammot of sizes) and so far the merv is definately a wlecome rc. It is the fastest car as of late and the perfect size to keep with you at all times and run around the neighboorhood where I find 1/8 to be too big and my rusty to break too often
    My car learned how to fly then forgot the landing

RC Enthusiast
    me and a friend both have the mini slashes and it is much more convenient to run then our other vehicles. (savage xl & tt01)

the mini slash is great for racing, you can get aggressive and bash due to the wheels being in under the shell, its wicked fast on both batt types, definitely go brushless. both are also built to take a beating and are water "resistant"

the slash is great for racing, throwing dirt sideways and roller type jumps.

the down sides. It rolls over real easy, takes skilled steering abilities and the terrain needs to be just right. it does not handle larger rocks very nicely.

in the end well worth it that brushless mini slash for its scale and specific class of driving

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexbojo
    I say get the cheap one and also buy the mamba max pro combo esc and engine and sell the stock one, you will never have any problems.. go much faster, for a lot longer, and never have to worry about overheating..
    X 2 on this option, didn't even think of it!!!
    E Revo Brushless!

RC Racer
    I bought mine as a BL Slash, but it came with all the parts to make it a bulletproof MERV. Now with RPM arms, upgraded shocks, and steel driveshafts it is a bad ****. The nitro cars are fun, but I really can't play with them at the house. The MERV is perfect for blasting up and down the street. Lipos are cheap for this car too.

My next step...I have a Tenbol BB mount and a Sidewinder 5700 combo coming in this week. This thing is going to better than my Savage and faster than my Jato before its over.
    -Eric
    Jato 3.3
    MERV
    Slash 2wd

RC Champion
    I love the battery prices.. $15 to $20 for either lipo or NiMH !!

I'm starting to think I'd rather go with the low price of the on sale Slash Brushed version, w/TQ radio

Traxxas 1/16 Slash w/Brushed Motor RTR
    Save $20.00
    Now $179.97

The MERV BL with new Link radio is up in the 1/10 scale price range.
    I won't be racing, as I don't have a track around here that I know of.

Maybe I will either go with the on sale Brushed motor Slash, or see if a BL MERV is for sale in MP....

My 3905 is going to be the money pit. I sure would like to have an inexpensive option... Can you fit a 540 brushed motor in there, like my 17Turn Formula Pro BB?
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT
    My 3905 is going to be the money pit............
    lol.........so is whichever mini you decide on ;0)

RC Qualifier
    I have two mini Revo's and two 1/10 scale brushless. I like the small one most of the time as it is light and easy to haul around. Very fast and very reliable. Lipo's are cheap and so are the tires.

IMO brushless is the only way to go. I have had several other RC trucks and gave them away as they were to much repair work and not enough time running them. I do not see that I will go back to any truck that is not brushless.

If nothing else you will end up saving money over time since they will not cost you 20 bucks every 8-10 times you run it.
    BL Revo, eRevo, MERV x 3 and still counting.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I have the ERBE (Love this machine very fast with 3s LIPO's), EMBE (great basher), and 2 MERV's (Loads of fun with Bashing and speed runs in it), the MERV (Brushless) is a blast, all I can say is Speed Speed Speed, Front flips, back flips. It can do just about anything...

I have driven the 1/16 Slash (brushless) It's out of control, if you want a 1/16 truck get the MERV brushless with 2.4 Ghz, this is by far a great truck, it handles well and there are so many hop up parts to fix her up after you beat her up..

Parallel will get you 30-35 Minutes with 3s lipo in it, just watch the temps of the Motor and ESC.

In my opinion if you buy any 1/16 truck get the MERV, you will not be disappointed...I was skeptical at first now I am a Believer for sure...

RC Racer
    +1 CMNYJ28
    I agree with the merv #7107, you gota luv it!
    I have an open to all dirt track, I run a E-maxx, aRC10T, and now for more than a month a stock merv. I run it with the 1/10 scales and IMHO I think I have the advantage! Just like they say, RTR, Right out of the box & with only one stock NiMH battery. Some of my friends with big budgets & large investments give me the look if I pass them up. I know I will be spending to repair the merv, but my idea is to see how little I can get by with.
    I have run it with 2 NiMH batteries, both parallel & series. (the stock 1200 ma? ones) I also have ordered a 2s and a 3s lipo & charger, but just to see the difference mostly. Also have ordered Traxxas wheeliebar. If you run more than just the one stock battery, it is hard to keep the front end down.
    Other thoughts: maybe a center diff, if I start racing with more than just the stock single battery. Good luck on your purchase.

RC Champion
    Well I started to get drawn back to the Slash 4x4, but seems like there are plenty of problems there with the drive shaft bearing, the VXL system running too hot.. It does seem better suited to the new 550 size BL motors to run cool.

So now my noodle has me back on the MERV, and wait until they get the bending axles, and drive shaft bearing problem solved, or till the release what would seem the inevitable Slash 4x4 MT, Rally, Buggy, Truggy version.
    The MERV seems perfect just like it is. Waterproof, fast, fat tires, plenty of aftermarket options etc.
    I'll either order from RC Boca or Tower, unless anyone knows of a better price.. Not sure how, but RC Boca is a LHS but can keep up with Tower base prices...
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Racer
    I have MERVs, a mini Slash, and Slash 4x4s, and the MERVs definitely get the most use. They are just plain fun to drive. If you are using them in flat areas, get a set of street tires on them and these things flat out fly. They are as fast as my Slash 4x4 on 2s lipos, or at least close enough that I don't really notice a difference bashing them. The only real things I would say are to invest in the RPM arms, especially on the front, stockers would break quite often. Not an issue since I swapped them out. My 8 yo son bashes the tar out of his, and the only thing he goes through is bodies/bumpers (full tilt into the mailbox, stuff like that), and this thing keeps on trucking.

I would say the run time/maintenance time ratio is MUCH higher than any other rig I've had, especially the 4x4.

RC Enthusiast
    look at Hobbyetc.com the MERV BL 2.4 is under 300, and they have the 7108? with the standard 2channel AM transmitter BL MERV for even less, shipping on east coast should be quick too based out of NH. just my $.02

RC Qualifier
    My advice: I have all sorts of vehicles, including 1/8 nitro truggy, 1/10 BL E-Revo, and the MERV. The MERV is definetely a lot of fun and an easy truck to run (not that much setup), and I definetely run it a lot. But my advice is, go for a used one that is a few bucks more than a brand new stock one, but includes hundreds of dollars of upgrades and spares. Check mine out, it has most of the important upgrades need and a lot of spares, lipos, etc... (I'm selling because I just don't have the time for any of my toys right now)

Link: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=524242
    Last edited by Muggydude; 06-06-2010 at 10:02 AM.
    1/16 MERV
    BL Revo Platinum MMM MADNESS!

RC Qualifier

Lightbulb We honour the warranty!

Hi guys.The above says a lot.It's a good sales pitch.Ooh and they're better than the mlst2 by several generations .Traxxas UK have the philosophy of"If it's our fault we'll fix it" They even rang me to ask if I'd mind waiting 2 days for some long lead servos. .I find it hard to get replies from most e companies! Traxxas all the way!!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I have several RCs. Helis, Nitro Monster Trucks, Electric, and more. The MERV rocks. Worth it!

Some more help. (http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=521189) Action Shot thread.

And... Revo160's AWESOME shot...
    T-MAXX 2.5-4910
    REVO 3.3-5309
    1/16 E-REVO-7107

RC Enthusiast
    Tower has a $35 off $220 or more right now there is a link on the home page.If you havent gotten one yet it is a great deal to get the merv brushless with the 2.4 for $265. I bought mine yesterday. :-) now they need to hurry up and get it to me so I can see what all the fuss is about.